How long does it take your children to go to sleep?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 F.E.B.E

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

DD, age 6 finished stories and had overhead light off at 8pm. It is now 9pm and she still can't sleep, apparently.

Last night DS (8) had lights off at 8.30. Finally got to sleep at 10pm :huh:

They both get plenty of exercise and have a regular bedtime. I don't understand why they find it so hard to sleep at the moment - perhaps it's the Sydney heat?

#2 JRA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:05 PM

Probably not the answer you want, normally about 5 minutes, at most, and has been that way for  most of his life.

Good luck on our part.

#3 crocodilessnap

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

Anywhere from 10 minutes (rare) to 1.5-2 hours :(
DD in particular finds it very hard to switch off and sleep

#4 MuddyPuddles

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

Mine take pretty much forever. It's embarrassing how often they are still awake when DH or I go to bed :(

#5 Jenflea

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

Mine is 5 and started school a month or so ago.
She takes easily 30 minutes to go to sleep(used to be 5 minutes when she dropped her nap at 3.5) because her brain is so wired and buzzy from school.

#6 F.E.B.E

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

Update: DS is asleep now after going to bed at about 10 to 9, he had soccer training which wiped him out though. So that's 20 minutes. DD is still tossing and turning.

DH thinks we should turn the lights off earlier, but I'm wondering if DD isn't going to sleep until later anyway, maybe we should just let her stay up and quietly play while we get on with things? Sitting in silence on the couch outside her room is getting old, fast.

#7 Kay1

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

Omg too long! My kids have generally been good at going to sleep but it's all gone pear shaped. ds3 is 3 and often takes an hour (and I have to lie with him grrr!).

Ds2 used to take approximately 5 mins, always. Now it can be an hour and a half.

Ds1 less but he doesn't even go to bed til after 9.

Edited by Kay1, 03 March 2016 - 08:14 PM.

#8 Zeppelina

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

DS (almost 5) takes anywhere from 5 mins (rare these days!) to an hour. I would say usually 20-30 mins.

#9 Mozzie1

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

About an hour most nights, sometimes longer of shorter. But it takes me over an hour to fall asleep each night too, so it's not surprising.

#10 MakesMeHappy

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

DS1 (6 yo) has always been pretty good at going to sleep normally 20-30 minutes but in the last week or two has has really struggled to switch off at night. It has been driving me insane! He comes out a million times!! I am hoping it is just a phase.

DS2 (3yo) on the other hand I don't think he knows what sleep is! Even with melatonin

#11 Seven of Nine

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

Usually very quickly. Two of them are asleep within 10 minutes but one of them can take upwards of half an hour.

I find that if I put them to bed early they take longer to get to sleep and usually go past the time that they would have fallen asleep had I put them to bed on time.

My kids are early risers (usually all awake before 6) so I think that could be part of it??

ETA I sit in with my kids while they go to sleep, so no one comes out.

Edited by Seven of Nine, 03 March 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#12 Mmmcheese

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

Usually about an hour. Sometimes more. Rarely less. She needs one of us there and that's when she asks questions like 'why do I have toes?'. I find the production a bit painful.

Edited by Mmmcheese, 03 March 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#13 MummyMumbler

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

About 5 minutes after he stops talking.

#14 Billabong5

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

about an hour. even more so now that we've started school as he is just so wired and hard to settle.

I read something once about each child having an ideal bed time, that if you put them to bed too early or too late then they've missed the ultimate part of their cycle and it will then be another hour or something before they will go to sleep. was an interesting read bu I can't remember the article name.

#15 Riotproof

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

View PostEBeditor, on 03 March 2016 - 08:11 PM, said:

Update: DS is asleep now after going to bed at about 10 to 9, he had soccer training which wiped him out though. So that's 20 minutes. DD is still tossing and turning.

DH thinks we should turn the lights off earlier, but I'm wondering if DD isn't going to sleep until later anyway, maybe we should just let her stay up and quietly play while we get on with things? Sitting in silence on the couch outside her room is getting old, fast.

Does she need you sitting there?

DS is 6, and I think it's about 30 minutes now. But we do not have a set bedtime. Bath is directly after dinner, and depending on Dd, he plays a bit sometimes quietly while she goes to sleep, and then we do his story. Otherwise, Dd disrupts his story and then she goes to sleep. Shes 1, I feed to sleep.
He will read a bit, listen to audiobooks and go to sleep. He doesn't come out, though he will sometimes ask for a drink, which he gets and goes back to bed.

#16 wallofdodo

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

Ever since the Christmas holidays, my 7yr old who normally fell asleep very quickly started taking ages. I think he is dropping off now. Last night it was 11.

We have the same conversations, what if he stayed up later and quietly played? I think it is fine for him to be in bed reading.

He used to share with his brother, but we put them in seperate rooms, the younger one takes about 10 mins if appropriately tired.

Thinking about this, the older one used to take AGES to go to sleep as a baby, it was just the toddler/early child years when he slept quickly. Maybe its just natural for him.

#17 TheGreenSheep

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:38 PM

DS2 is 6yo and goes to sleep no problems, will lay quietly and drift off.

DS1 is 9yo and drives us nuts. He is easily over wound and whilst he would prefer a later bedtime, he stuffs around for so long and struggles to wind down, so usually up to an hour. Or longer! We have tried a multitude of different approaches. Results are hit and miss. Tonight he was tired and went off without coming out. We have tried relaxation, mindfulness apps, reading, audiobooks, later bedtimes, etc etc but everything wakes him up and some nights we go to bed in frustration and he's still awake.

For us the same rules, same bedtimes, different personalities of our kids, really becomes a problem at night :/

#18 F.E.B.E

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:38 PM

Does she need you sitting there?

Yes, both kids are afraid of the dark/monsters/everything and want us nearby.

We used to lay with them but that backfires when only one of us is there or they have a babysitter, so we want them to get used to going to sleep without us next to them.

Interesting to see that many others have similar issues, especially with different siblings having different sleep habits.

#19 wallofdodo

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

Spoke too soon, still awake. I am about to go, myself.

#20 gravity1

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

DS11 always takes 1-1.5 hrs to fall asleep (unless exhausted).

#21 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

Often 30-60 minutes.  Sometimes 5 minutes.  It varies a lot, depending on what they have been doing.

We're hoping that when they have separate bedrooms, it might be a lot faster.  They chat a lot once the light goes off. Drives DH and I batty.

#22 Fresh Start

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

If I lay between them in my bed USUALLY 10 to 20 minutes but if they are hyped and late back from dad it can be hours.

#23 Natalie26

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

Too long!!

DD and DS2 take forever - DS1 is very sporty and normally just collapses cause he's spent the whole day running, talking, kicking/hitting balls - and just generally being a full on kid!!

It is not unusual for DD to be awake at 10.30 most nights - she just doesn't need much sleep.

#24 tothebeach

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

Bloody ages.  I used to spend hours fighting, lying with them, getting frustrated etc but nothing actually makes them go to sleep earlier.  In fact, the more I tried to get them to go to sleep earlier, the more terrified the 7 year old got of going to bed and the more he fought sleep and the later it became.   At one stage we were averaging 11pm.   It was a nightmare.

Both of mine are still awake.  We have now accepted that they don't go to sleep till 9:30-10:00 and enjoy the time with them, rather than spend it fighting.  I am hoping to gradually move the 7 year olds bedtime to a bit earlier as he starts to become confident that he is able to go to sleep.

We've had some success with the book: 'what to do when you dread your bed'.  I bought it on amazon.  It recommends that you put your child to bed at a time which means that they will fall asleep with 15 mins with you lying with them, if need be.

#25 angelinaballerina

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:56 PM

Both DS 9y and DD3 take under 15minutes to fall asleep once in bed. They have always been fantastic sleepers though.

On the odd occasion DD will take about an hour to actually stay in her bed. But once she lays down it is relatively quick for her to go off to sleep.

Routine has always been helpful with my kids. And we usually wear them out with a good play outside before dinner if they haven't been at an after school activity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.