Shared care vs. midwife clinic

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 N. Tonks

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:10 PM

Hi all!

As my next scan approaches I know I'm going to have to make another decision- GP shared care vs. the standard public system midwife clinic. Can anyone share their experience with either/or?

The main benefit I can see with the midwife clinic is being able to meet the midwives in the hospital and being more familiar with them before delivering.

The benefit I'm assuming I would have with shared care is more flexibility with appointments, which would appeal to me because of less time needed off work.

Would love your thoughts!

#2 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

I'm planning on doing shared care with my GP. Mainly because I like the idea of continuity of care through pregnancy and with the baby ongoing afterwards. Plus I like and trust my GP (she used to be an OB/Gyn registrar.)

Knowing my luck, I'd do the midwife clinic and my midwife would end up busy with someone else when I went into labour lol! I'm less stressed about who is at the birth TBH. But I appreciate that that is really important to some people.

Aside from anything, for me, I'm not booking anything until I'm after 12 weeks and go from the FS back to the GP. I would already be too late by this stage to get in the midwife clinic here anyway.

#3 lumack

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

I did shared care with a private midwife.  The hospital put me in a group that could only have appointments on Wednesdays, too bad that it didn't work for me (their words when I said that Wednesdays weren't convenient).  They also went against ob advice and refused me access to the midwife clinic and said I was to only see the ob.  They agreed to me doing shared care after a brief exchange of emails and a phone call.  I much preferred it, I could set times that suited me, could take my other child with me, never had to wait and I always had a full hour even if I didn't need it.

#4 Flaxen

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

I came in via we are discussing....but
I am doing shared care for same reasons as pp. Good GP who specializes in obstetrics, 5 mins up the road, less time waiting in hospital for appts, and can make any additional appts I wish.
Also continuity of care afterwards with baby is really important too. I really appreciated this with my first daughter.
Another point for my specific case is I was diagnosed with an auto immune disease shortly after 12 weeks PG, so with that as additional factor I like that my GP is up to date with that.
Unfortunately she went on annual leave a few weeks ago, and is due back on my due date in 2.5 weeks. I'm still seeing the midwives for hospital appts.
Downside is that the GP doesn't bulk bill, and each appt I'm out of pocket around $40 after rebate. This is something to consider if money is tight, in addition to US's and tests that are extra out of pocket. Hosp is free except for parking and limited choices for appts, with the excess wait times are very inconvenient when working FT.

Edited by Flaxen, 02 March 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#5 honeybarbara

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

Can anyone from WA/Perth share their experience on this?

#6 shanta

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

Unless your GP is absolutely brilliant I would recommend going with the midwives. They know the hospital and they are experts in what they do.

#7 Lunafreya

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

Does the midwife clinic include home visits after you've had the baby? If yes, if go with them in a heartbeat, saved my life after my DS was born and the not reason we were able to breastfeed.

#8 premmie

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

I've had two kids with an OB and am now 8 weeks with number 3. I've chosen shared care and so far have only seen my GP.

I had the choice of the midwifery group practice or clinic. In clinic you get assigned a midwife throughout pregnancy and see whoever is there when you deliver. The group practice is a little different, supposedly you see 3-4 different midwives in the time your pregnant and one will be there to deliver your baby. They also visit you at home as needed until bub is 2 weeks old.

I don't really care who is there at delivery so I chose clinic, I'd rather see the same person throughout the pregnancy. My ob didnt make it to my second delivery - so for me I I realised how insignificant that is. Though I admit it may be important to other women. My GP was an OB/GYN so she has the background. Its also 2 minutes from home, and if she is running late they call me when there is only 1 person ahead so I don't have the wait long. She also had a full medical history which I feel is important.

Edited by premmie, 03 March 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#9 Yeahidunno2or3

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

I had my daughter through the midwifery group practise, and it was fantastic, I was lucky to have the same midwife throughout my whole pregnancy, and she was also there for the delivery, and did home visits after. I'd love to get into the same program again, but I think spots fill up quick, I might be too late.

#10 c.sanders

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

I don't think it makes a difference really.  Just go with what's most convenient. In my local hospital there was no guarantee you would have the same midwives in the labour ward as the antenatal clinic

#11 cfwact

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:16 PM

I'm a bit confused, is your midwife clinic a continuity of care (ie. One midwife allocated to you for pregnancy, birth and postnatal), or will you see different midwives at each appointment?

if you can have continuity of care with a midwife I would recommend that because having a familiar face that you trust at the birth is invaluable. I also think midwives focus more on the social and emotional side of pregnancy than doctors do which I think is so important. But if you have a close relationship with your GP and would end up seeing different midwives each time then you may be more comfortable doing shared care with your GP.

#12 N. Tonks

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:32 PM

I'm pretty sure it would be different midwives each time, that actually doesn't bother me though. I think for me the availability of appointments is more important so I'm leaning towards shared care. Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far though!

#13 dreamfizz

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:51 PM

I've opted for shared care. I've found a fab doctor, and I've never had a specific doctor before (I only ever went to the docs if I needed a sick certificate for work, and that was rare, so would just see whoever was available!). So, I am looking forward to seeing a doctor that we will see as a family. I like that she will know our history and I will continue to be able to see her when bubs comes etc. Also, I like that if she happens to not be available, then I can see one of the others in the same clinic who will have full access to my medical file.

#14 ThrilledWolf

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

midwives are less likely to push drugs, c section, induction or to try and hurry things along, all things that mean a lot to me so if possible I'll be going with the family centre and midwife care
Don't know yet as had a few issues with my sons pregnancy and birth that are possible to reoccur will need to see if I'm high risk again fingers crossed I'm not and can take the midwife route

#15 Gigi&peanut

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

I have selected the midwife program at the royal women's and was advised I would have the same 2 midwives all the way though and after birth just in case one cant make it on the day the other one will be there. They are so amazing, My sister has had 5 babies with midwives who in fact even did the stitches and last 3 births a doctor never even came and wasn't needed. I have never heard of a bad experience from any family or friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.