How long before tell people?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 LoveBug3

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Hi All,
Technically I am in the Nov Group but I was so excited about just finding out I'm pregnant I thought I'd post here. I was just wondering how long people are waiting before they tell friends, family, work etc?

I really don't have anyone I can think of that will be over the moon happy for me. Of course people will say all the right things but out of my fris 1 can't have any more kids (for health reasons), a couple are trying to find the right man, a couple are pregnant with their 2nd (so I feel like saying I'm up to 3rd will upset them?), SIL pregnant with 3rd (don't want to steal the thunder as she's due middle of the year) & several are struggling with the prob of our age infertility/ goign thro IVF. So other than DH who works around the clock no one knows (its only 4 weeks tomorrow) with my other 2 I screamed it from the roof tops this time I think I might wait till 20 weeks... what are u guys doing?

#2 maybeonemore

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

I've told a few random people a couple of friends and my sister. My children, Parents and grandparents will be told on my cruise this weekend.

As for others and a facebook announcement im not sure yet. Definitely not till after 12 week scans and everything come back ok.

#3 dreamfizz

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

We've told parents and a couple friends but that's all. We will wait til the 12 weeks scans are all good before telling everyone. I'm 8+1 today and hanging out for the 12 week scan so we can just tell people already. Not that I want to tell everyone as such, more that it's easier than trying to keep it secret all the time.

#4 Morton-89

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

We've told family and close friends and will probably announce it next week at about 8 weeks. We've always wanted to tell people early and now that I've had a scan and baby is on track with a good hb I feel like we can :)

#5 N. Tonks

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

We've told our parents, a few friends plus today I told my boss (was intending to wait till 12 weeks but a situation at work led to me letting her know). Will be 8 weeks tomorrow with first scan on Friday.

#6 smedlee

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

I've still not told anyone. Waiting till the 12 week scan because I want my DS to be the first to know. Although I am so bloated and seem to have popped out heaps and my boobs are already massive I might have trouble hiding it in a couple of weeks.

#7 ThrilledWolf

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Told DH, parents and my due in group from 1st son that's it will wait till 12 weeks for everyone else specially Inlaws who won't be happy have already said they don't think we should have another child so soon and should wait our turn SIL is currently pregnant too
Will see how we go hopefully can keep it a secret

Edited by ThrilledWolf, 01 March 2016 - 09:07 PM.

#8 honeybarbara

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:31 AM

We have told parents and close friends, and it's great to have their support. Still I am looking forward to 12 weeks for that piece of mind.

#9 Living_The_Dream

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

Only told DH, plan to tell our children after 12 weeks so they hear it first & family & friends at 20 weeks. But it will probably be hard to hold off that long whatever happens. So that's best case scenario.

#10 Joan10

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:04 AM

This is my second baby and I'm showing so much that I look like I did when I was 14-16 weeks with my daughter. I can't really hide it anymore and so I'm living in mu-mu's lol. Which is a giveaway in itself as I never wear anything baggy.

I'm 9 weeks now. I'm holding off until after my 12 week NT scan which is at Easter to make a nice announcement, but my parents and best friends already know.

They knew early on because I'm the type of person who would want them to know no matter what the outcome.

#11 LoveBug3

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

ThrilledWolf i so know what u mean about the inlaws only it is my parents who i think will be.... not ova the moon about this bubba (although it is v much wanted & prayed for by me). Its just that there will only be 15.5 months between my youngest n the new one. I am extremely worried about being judged on the age gap esp by work 😦😢 & people asking if it was an accident which it v much wasn't. R u going to have a small gap too?

#12 smmaho

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

I really don't plan on telling anyone until after the first scan at 12 weeks. Except DH knows of course. I may tell my parents earlier at 10 weeks once I've seen the ob but still undecided on that. I'm very cautious about having another miscarriage and I'm a very private person so I do like to work through things myself.

That is the plan for now and will see what happens.

#13 blondie82

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:21 AM

I had a scan yesterday (8 weeks) and all was good so I told a few more people (like my other 2 DD's). I had already told my parents, my sisters and a few close friends.

Now that I've told my DD's, every man and their dog will know - ha!

#14 Naimed

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

I'm 8 weeks & 4 days & all the scans & tests are going well.

I've told my Husband, Mum, 2 Sisters & 2 girlfriends.

We'll be telling my Husbands family after the results of the Harmony test @ Easter & the rest of my family (along with the sex of the baby).

It won't be Facebook official until after 12 weeks.

Everyone whom already knows about the pregnancy, also knows about my 2 previous miscarriages so I think their excitement is measured. I think it'll actually make me more excited when more people can be told & they are actually happy.

#15 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostNaimed, on 03 March 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

Everyone whom already knows about the pregnancy, also knows about my 2 previous miscarriages so I think their excitement is measured. I think it'll actually make me more excited when more people can be told & they are actually happy.
Ditto for me!!

Though we won't officially announce until after we have told DSDs, which won't be until I am about 15 weeks because I want to tell them in person (and video their reaction hehe.)

#16 ThrilledWolf

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostLoveBug3, on 02 March 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

ThrilledWolf i so know what u mean about the inlaws only it is my parents who i think will be.... not ova the moon about this bubba (although it is v much wanted & prayed for by me). Its just that there will only be 15.5 months between my youngest n the new one. I am extremely worried about being judged on the age gap esp by work 😦😢 & people asking if it was an accident which it v much wasn't. R u going to have a small gap too?

Will be a 20 month gap so not too bad but we started trying again as soon as my son was born so def wouldn't have had time for anyone telling us gap is too small
It's what works for u and ur family going to try and not tell Inlaws as long as possible and when we do try again to not get emotional or upset by there reactions
Fingers crossed all goes to plan
Hope your parents are more understanding xx

#17 LoveBug3

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

ThrilledWolf oh wow ur inlaws might surprise u. I got some low hcg results & my parents have been very supportive (there will only be 15.5months b/w youngest 2). We started trying again when my daughter was 4months so it took a couple of goes  im just praying that my body is ready to hold this bubba. Im expecting a lot of judgement but at this point after already having a scare i am just desperate for a healthy baby. Let me know when u tell ur inlaws i wanna know how they take it. The other 1 i am a bit worried about is my good fri who had a m/c when i was preg with 2nd just don't want it to feel like a competition who can have the most babies etc... it sounds werid but has anyone else experienced that vibe? Like i shld wait for my fris to have their 2nd bedore i try to have a 3rd?

#18 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:01 PM

I am not expecting a happy response from my ILs.

DHs mother will probably ask him why he wants to be tied to another woman through children, didn't he learn his lesson last time.

#19 LoveBug3

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:43 PM

Feral oh my goodness!! I like to think people will only judge me by b**ching about me behind my back she won't openly say that would she?

#20 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:23 AM

Well when we got engaged she said to him "what do you want to do that for?"

I am choosing to believe she means why would anyone get married this days, but I'm not 100% confident of that!

At least she didn't tell me not to marry him, like she did with his first wife lol!

#21 LoveBug3

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

Wooho Feral she sounds controlling. Is she divorced herself? Maybe she is just bitter about her own stuff? I mean come on how could she not like u your lovely.

#22 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

No, she's still with DHs Dad!  and thank you hehehe

We seem to get on really well, that's the weird thing! But I think she's finally realised that I only have DHs best interests at heart.

#23 premmie

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

We told parents, grandparents and family after dating scan. My kids know too. They are 5 and 4. Otherwise no one knows.

#24 smedlee

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:13 AM

View Postpremmie, on 15 March 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

They are 5 and 4. Otherwise no one knows.

How have you managed to keep the 4 and 5 year olds from telling anyone??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.