NT (traditional way to test for Down syndrome) or NIPT (harmony test)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 smmaho

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:08 AM

Hi all I thought I'd post my comment here because I think it got lost when the second chat opened up.

My OB has given me the choice of testing for DS the traditional way (NT blood test and ultrasound) or the new NIPT test (harmony test) which is done from ten weeks and is a simple blood test that has a 99% accuracy and also tells you the gender however it's pricey.

I was wondering what others thoughts are or if you have had one test done or plan on getting one done. DH things we should just do the traditional test as the new test is an awful lot of money but has very accurate results. If I had a baby with Down syndrome I don't think I would terminate so it's not about that, it's just about preparing myself for the pregnancy.

Would love to hear your thoughts 😊

#2 Living_The_Dream

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:34 AM

I have only ever had the traditional test, when I was in the May DIG quite a few did it. My doc didn't even mention it. Only one person in the DIG had to do it again because they lost their results or they didn't get enough of the baby's DNA in her blood to test properly they need 2% or something? By the time they got the 2nd set of results she was 20 weeks so she wasn't going to do much with the results unless it was terminal by that point! She had to pay the $400 odd twice too! My babies have never had any chromosome abnomalities so far so will prob just do the standard test but if anything looks off look into further testing.

Edited by Living_The_Dream, 25 February 2016 - 06:37 AM.

#3 Morton-89

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

I plan on just getting them to check the markers at my twelve week scan and if there are any markers I might look into getting further testing. I figure whatever happens unless my baby is going to spend its life in hospital and not have a good quality of life I would never terminate anyway so the results probably aren't going to do much for me anyway. Apart from being able to research a little more :)

#4 dreamfizz

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:34 AM

I'll be doing the NIPT test. I don't have any reasons other than it's more information for me so I am well prepared. I'm an anxious/impatient person by nature so I like to know what's going on.

#5 ChilliDog

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

I had the Harmony test done with my DS and will have it done again with belly Bub.
I'm over 40 so have an increased risk of issues so like to go into the pregnancy with as much knowledge as possible. Also it doesn't just test for downs, it tests for other genetic issues as well.
And as an extra bonus we can fine out gender with 100% certainty, I loved knowing nice and early we were having a boy and can't wait to find out again.

#6 Natttmumm

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

I would pay the money and do the better test. That being said it wasn't around when I had mine - gee I wish it was though

#7 Possum88

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

Im not having either test. I didnt with dd. Just had the blood test (if that came back with abnormal results i would have had the scan but it was unnecessary money we dont need to spend). My gp did mention both tests and the accuracy of the NIPT but i dont think i could bring myself to terminate and we dont want to know the sex so it suits us best not to have it.

Edit to say i didnt have the test with dd because we couldnt get an appointment anywhere to have the scan in the time frame.

Edited by Possum88, 25 February 2016 - 01:11 PM.

#8 maybeonemore

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

Id like the harmony test but im not sure I can afford it

#9 Wrennie

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

We had the Genesyte test (like the Harmony) at 10 weeks. It was pricey (about $400) but we thought it was worth it for peace of mind).

We didn't want to know the sex and warned our OB so she wouldn't divulge it.

Unfortunately we didn't have a happy ending and found out our little boy had Downs. She did tell us the sex but at that point I didn't care that she had said. I wanted to know.

By the time we found out we were 12 weeks. We were sent for genetic counselling and a date was booked for an ultrasound and amnio to confirm (as despite the chance of a false positive being minisule they still check).
Our ultrasound showed he was already gone, so there was no need for an amnio.

So we would have found out at our NT test that he was gone - but we wouldn't have known that he had genetic abnormalities and we wouldn't have even known we had a boy. It was a truly awful, awful time (and my second miscarriage) but if we are lucky enough to get pg again, we will do the test again without a doubt.

Edited by Wrennie, 25 February 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#10 cfwact

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:10 PM

We are just doing the standard 12 week scan and blood test. I would only do the more expensive testing if the standard tests indicated something. Last time the standard tests put bub at a 1:20000+ chance of something being wrong so I was happy with those odds.

#11 Joan10

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Hubby and I are choosing to just do the NT test again - like we did with our daughter. No real reason, apart from the fact we wouldn't terminate anyway if the results came back differently to what we were hoping. That being said, I have nothing against anyone who chooses either test for whatever reason. I do agree it would be awesome to get more information and I guess it would help prepare - but we were happy with the usual way anyway, so will most likely do that again.

I love that we are all talking about these tests now - makes that second trimester feel so much closer!

#12 Fright bat

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

There's a big discussion about this is the September DIG, which should answer all questions. I won't re type everything I wrote here.

#13 smmaho

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for all your responses :) who know choosing which test to have done would be such a hard decision haha. I am an overthinker by nature and put a lot of pressure on myself in making the right decision however who knows what th right decision is. I didn't know I would have to make a decision about testing so early on.

Thanks fright bat, will definately go and check it out.

#14 Lou-bags

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

View Postsmmaho, on 25 February 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

however who knows what th right decision is.

There isn't one! It's one of the hardest things I've found coming to terms with as a parent (starting in pregnancy). That there isn't one right answer. You can't just look something up and go "oh, so that's what I'm supposed to do, righto". It's always this balancing act about what's best for your family, you, your child, your specific circumstances! So hard!

FWIW, I'm in the Sept DIG, and found that thread really great.

I've/we've decided to do the traditional NT screening (bloods and scan) and then perhaps consider the NIPT (and amnio later if necessary) if the results aren't favourable.

Good luck deciding!

#15 smmaho

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:40 PM

View PostLou-bags, on 25 February 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

There isn't one! It's one of the hardest things I've found coming to terms with as a parent (starting in pregnancy). That there isn't one right answer. You can't just look something up and go "oh, so that's what I'm supposed to do, righto". It's always this balancing act about what's best for your family, you, your child, your specific circumstances! So hard!

FWIW, I'm in the Sept DIG, and found that thread really great.

I've/we've decided to do the traditional NT screening (bloods and scan) and then perhaps consider the NIPT (and amnio later if necessary) if the results aren't favourable.

Good luck deciding!

Haha thank you. My mind is very structured and I like things that have an answer however I should probably get used to not knowing all the answers because somehow I don't think pregnancy or parenthood is going to be straight forward! Lol :)

#16 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

Yeah one of the big threads did say that the NIPT is not recommended to be done on it's own at the moment. So recommendations are for the NIPT AND the scan, but you could skip the bloods (which are the cheap bit!)

After all my reading up on it and talking to my FS/OB, I will just go with the NT scan and bloods. Maybe if the results aren't favourable then I'd do the NIPT. I don't want to know the sex before around 20 weeks anyway.

Edited by FeralRebelWClaws, 26 February 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#17 smmaho

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

Yeah I would defiantly still get the scan done as my OB recommends. It's just a matter of deciding which blood test. I am leaning towards the normal nt test and scan and then as you said if the odds weren't favourable I would look at getting the NIpT.

#18 ChilliDog

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

I've just been reading the Sept DIG thread and thought I'd come back and clarify my response above.
With my DS I had the NIPT test but also had the 12 weeks scan just not the bloods. I will have the same with this pregnancy. I didn't actually realise people were opting just for the NIPT, I presumed because my OB referred me for both that was the standard!!

#19 dreamfizz

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

I'll be having the standard NT & ultrasound but also adding NIPT as additional/own preference (not instead of).

#20 Esseffaz

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

We're doing the harmony testing as soon as we can.

I'm 40 so there's a higher risk. We'd want to know sooner rather than later if there's an issue.

I don't think $400 for peace of mind is too much.

#21 premmie

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

I've just booked the NIPT test with Sonic Genetics for next week. It was $450. I'm 33 and this is no 3 pregnancy. I figured for peace of mind I was happy to do both. My understanding based on a discussion with my GP was that having both a nuchal and nipt was best practice.

#22 PippyT

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

What is the DIG? Sorry, I'm a newbie!

#23 PippyT

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

Can I also ask, everyone who has elected to have the NIPT did you just do this through your GP? I am assuming this test is available to everyone?

#24 Lemongrass

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:40 PM

I did the nipt with my second mainly because i was overseas for a couple months after so i wasnt around to do the normal 12 week scan.. Also i am very impatient and i was really happy to learn the sex early :)

#25 purpleblaze

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:12 PM

It was a no brainer for us due to the accuracy of the test and my age, we chose the harmony test but without finding out the sex.  Cost wasn't an issue for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.