What is everyone taking & avoiding this pregnancy?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Living_The_Dream

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Curious to what everyone is taking this pregnancy as in vitamin supplements or other special needs such as progesterone etc also what do people avoid or not do when pregnant which they have been doing such as food, activities etc.

I'm taking vitamin D, nature's own pregnancy platinum & a low dose asprin at doctor's advice.

#2 Possum88

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

Im taking elevit as they were the only vitamins that didn't make me sick last pregnancy. Waiting on blood results to see if ill need to take iron tablets (i did last time).

Im a bit more relaxed with food but im a healthy eater normally. We never have take out but i do usually get sushi for lunch on a friday after my dd's swimming lesson (its our treat) today i had a breakfast bar and a decaf coffee cause ive been feeling nauseous.

#3 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

I'm taking elevit, vitamin D and vitamin B6.

I'm not eating any salads unless I prepare them myself at home. Definitely not out at restaurants etc Nothing that is cooked and then sits there (like food court type meals).

Then the obvious stuff like no deli meat, no soft serve etc.

#4 Esseffaz

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

I'm taking Elevit and Iron daily.

Vitamin C every second day. I don't want to get a cold this year while I'm pregnant and Vitamin C has seen me right previously.

I'm only having salads I've made myself, too. I'm not having coffee at all. No deli meats and soft cheeses. No cold seafood or chicken.

#5 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

hahah maybe I should take Vit c

I now have a cold! I had a MEGA sore throat yesterday afternoon and now I have a snotty nose, but it's preferable to sore throat.

I'm drinking OJ atm too.

#6 a letter to Elise.

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

I'm taking a pregnancy multivitamin, and I've started the gestational diabetes diet under the advice of my GP. I'm still waiting to get more bloods and see my gastro next week, but I think they will put me on some sort of steroid next week.

As far as avoiding things, the usual deli meats, salads etc. reduced my caffiene intake, and reduced sugar, carbs and fat. I don't have much of an appetite at the moment anyway.

#7 cfwact

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

I'm taking blackmores pregnancy vitamin as I still have some left over from my last pregnancy. I will take vitamin d tablets as well and try and get more sunlight as I'm always deficient.

Last pregnancy I went off red meat entirely, it just smelled rancid to me. I'm trying to eat as much of it now as I can before the aversion strikes as my iron levels get so low. I will speak to my doctor about better ways to compensate for it this pregnancy.

#8 1000Stars

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

For me a pregnancy vitamin, vitamin d, iron, probiotic and fish oil. Last two are trying to avoid eczema my son has it. Trying to get in lots of good fats too. I keep forgetting about the salad thing I love salad. Just making sure everythings well cooked like eggs and meat.

#9 Lily-bee

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

Blackmore's pregnancy, vit d, fish oil and folate.

Avoiding sushi (cry!), ham and soft cheese. Gone off coffee and anything sweet. Eating salad but preparing myself and not with prepackaged salad mix.
Obviously alcohol as well :)

#10 Morton-89

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:09 PM

I'm only taking Blackmores pregnancy multi but I did buy cenovis pregnancy multi the other day as my store had reduced them to clear so thought why not. It doesn't matter if you take one for a while then switch does it?

As for what I'm not doing, I'm not doing heavy lifting at work anymore (my back is already in bad shape let alone as I get more and more pregnant), I'm not really eating sweets because I've gone off them, won't eat salads out. I've never eaten seafood, soft cheeses etc so that's no issue and I very rarely eat deli meats either :) I do eat the 4 salad mix from Coles but make sure I wash thoroughly before I eat it. I also still eat my meat medium rare when I cook it at home fresh. Oh and I eat leftovers, whether it's chicken, beef, Chinese, Thai, whatever, I just make sure I only eat it the day after and it has to be heated up until it's piping hot :) I've been using the Ovia app to look at the safety of different food and weighing up whether the risk is negligible to eat whatever it is I'm looking up. The other day I made cheesecake because it said soft cheese risk was negligible if it was pasteurised and Philly is so thought why not. If it's considerable risk though ie hot dogs, soft serve, raw fish etc I will avoid it :)

#11 N. Tonks

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

I'm taking nature's own pregnancy platinum, dr was considering giving me an additional iron supplement as my iron levels are lower but due to a health condition she's wary as it causes high iron levels. Just trying to get by on increasing red meat intake.

I'm not going to one of my gym classes based on her advice and avoiding all the listeria risks (most of the time, I had one pizza cheat meal). Avoiding the risky foods is way harder for me that no alcohol, I love all of the one on the avoid list!

#12 MrsP2014

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

im on elevit and progesterone pessaries twice a day until ten weeks.

im avoiding the no go list soft serve soft cheese deli meat etc. I've cut out coffee and most coke although i had one on night shift a couple of times last week.

#13 smmaho

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

I'm taking elevit and not eating deli meats, soft cheeses, raw fish etc. however I am eating salad mixes from the supermarket just washing the leaves, having one coffee a day and today I had a quiche from muffin break that was heated (asked for it to be hot).

From what I've read and what my GP has said I will avoid the dangerous foods however I'm going to try not stress about things too much. E.g. The coffee...from everything I've read and heard one a day is fine.

#14 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

omg now I really want a muffin break muffin hahahaha

#15 smedlee

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:15 PM

I'm taking Blackmores Multivitams and Blackmores Folate. My DS is 6 and a half so it has been a long time since I was pregnant last time I've kind of forgot what you're meant to do and not do.
I went out for tea the other night and really love steak Medium Rare, but wasn't sure if I was meant to eat that or not??
I've been feeling much more nauseous than I did last time which has made eating difficult. I had a coffee today (I'm a tea drinker usually but probably have one coffee a week) and it really didn't sit well in my belly, so don't think I'll be doing that again.

#16 Eliloulou

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:58 PM

I'm taking Swiss pregnancy vitamins, vitamin D I have found makes a massive difference with my mental health and a probiotic. Avoiding all the risk foods again but still drinking coffee, but trying to limit to 2 cups a day. I need to up my water intake I never drink it, so trying for at least a litre a day and failing miserably! Keeping up with my daily walk and chasing DD around all day is keeping me active. I need to focus on food the most because I hardly eat and when I do it's whatever I can grab as shove in as quickly as I can. Working out what to eat is so hard for me I just don't get it. I hate it so much. Between not knowing what I want and not liking salad and stuff it's very limiting.

#17 maybeonemore

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

Im taking Blackmores pregnancy vitamin and 5mg folate (I have MTHFR so need the extra)

Avoiding - not much really, I don't eat soft cheese or drink alcohol. Ill still eat ham if its fresh or cooked. I don't eat any of the other meals that are to be avoided anyway. Although I am avoiding soft serve.

#18 Mumanik

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

I'm on aspirin 5mg of folate and c10 enzyme. I'm avoiding coffee as it makes me buzz way too much when pregnant and also soft cheeses that aren't pastuerised, deli meats, salad leaves, soft serve (not that I ever eat it anyway), soft eggs, pre prepared foods, medium steaks (my steak was so chewy tonight :() and sushi.

#19 Purple Polka Dots

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

I'm an impostor from another DIG - but find this discussion interesting!

I am finding it hard to eat out with work colleagues at lunch time - our favorite spot is Zambrero - but I am thinking a burrito would be out, as the meat is left 'warm' in a bain marie, the lettuce would be pre-packaged, and I'm not sure about the corn/onion salsas?

I am taking Vit D after a blood test showing I was deficient, elevit (but am going to move to Blakemores pregnancy after this packet it used up - I find the tablets a little big for swallowing!)

#20 ThrilledWolf

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

I'm taking elevit, a multivitamin, ferro grade iron, calcim + vit d

Avoiding the obvious foods sushi, deli meats etc and alcohol
Always need to drink more water I try just so hard

#21 Surprise x 2

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:24 AM

I am taking blackmores pregnancy multi, and reducing my tea to one or two a day.

I'm avoiding nothing else apart from alcohol. I will continue to eat all cheeses, ice cream, deli meat etc. I ALWAYS eat salads out, and have no intention of stopping. Way more healthy than anything else I can buy when out.

Third baby so I'm a bit more relaxed now!

#22 LifeWithMyBoys

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

Is yoghurt safe to eat? I've had Greek plain yoghurt mixed with berries and Greek honey yoghurt with berries?

#23 ThrilledWolf

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:11 AM

View PostLillyLoves14, on 11 March 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

Is yoghurt safe to eat? I've had Greek plain yoghurt mixed with berries and Greek honey yoghurt with berries?

Yeah yogurt is fine ☺️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.