Money worries

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Morton-89

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Is anyone else freaking slightly about money? I'm so nervous that we're going to be flat broke once a baby is brought into the mix. I've crunched numbers and we're doing fine now but after doing some research I realise my little Suzuki swift probably isn't going to cut it to fit in prams, capsules etc. DH only has a two seater ute so that's completely out of the question. I have no idea on the must-haves in a nursery because everyone has different ideas. So I've gone from being not worried at all to freaking in a few days. Argh!

#2 smmaho

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

I'm worried about how we will go when we lose my wage which is more than half our income for just over a year While I stay home with baby but we'll make things work. We are saving as much as we can as well as making extra home loan repayments so when my wage is lost our repayments will be smaller.

I have a Toyota Yaris and I am pretty sure I will upgrade my car however not sure how I will afford that yet! I'm not wanting to take out a car loan.

#3 MrsP2014

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

hi morton,

i have a ford fiesta, it will work for baby number one you just have to work with what you have. so were looking for compact car seats and flexible/compact prams. we've been collecting baby things for a while now, most things are 2nd hand and all we need now is a car seat, baby monitor and clothes/wraps (we will buy car seat and monitor new) there are many things you could want but you don't actually NEED a lot. we've also been putting away money every fortnight to use on things we need to buy and whatever left we will use whilst im on maternity leave.

it can be stressful to think about, maybe make a list of things you NEED, then another of things you want like a carrier or swaddle thingos. if people ask you what they can get you you have a go to list.

im stressing about maternity leave, can they just make up their mind. where planning on not getting anything from the government.

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

I don't belong here - I came in from the side, but we've BTDT with a small car. Realistically, you can get away with a smaller car for one, and maybe even 2 if you don't have a massive pram. We had 2 car seats (proper ones, not boosters) in a Subaru Impreza, but no chance of getting a third in when we needed to, and the location of anchor points made it almost impossible to get a pram in.

PS My 3 children are out with the babysitter in a Suzuki Swift this afternoon. We're down to one car seat now, but she manages 3 school bags, viola, library bags and assorted other junk without a hassle.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 16 February 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#5 smmaho

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

I think for me upgrading a car is more of a safety thing, I'm sure a smaller car is also safe but the already over protective side of me haha is thinking a larger car would be safer and more practical. I know this probably isn't the case.

#6 Morton-89

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

Phew! Glad I'm not the only ones. I'm thinking maybe I should refinance my h/l to buy a new car. Although it'll cost us in the long run at least we can afford it weekly and once we get into the swing of things we can pay much more off. I'll only be taking the 18 weeks paid leave I'd say so it won't affect my income, probably it'll nearly increase my monthly income which will be good. DH and I did just sit down for a good hour and work out a full budget so it's made me feel a little better about everything. I'm not sure I like being in as much debt as we will be but DH has a very very stable job and I only work part time so I think we can manage it. Our biggest killer is that we got a loan out last year to help pay for our wedding/honeymoon. At the time it was a great idea and while I don't 100% regret it (because I don't know when I'll ever be able to go overseas again and I plan on only getting married once) I do wish I'd maybe pushed it back a little so we didn't have to get quite such a big loan. I know little babies don't need a lot, it's more things that we need because of our house set-up e.g thick playmat for tummy time because we have wooden floors that are freezing in winter, room thermometers because our house gets very cold and I don't want baby to freeze, baby bath because my bath is too deep to comfortably bathe a baby etc. not necessities as such but things I know will make everything a million times easier :)

#7 cfwact

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

I think the best advice I got is don't buy too much in pregnancy. Just buy things as you need them. All you definitely need to begin with is a car seat and somewhere for bub to sleep. You can get some great stuff second hand as well.

#8 Lily-bee

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:01 PM

It is stressful to think about. I was the same with Bub #1 but we made it work. Every fortnight we put money away in a savings account and tried not to touch it unless absolutely necessary.
We budgeted and saved while I was pregnant which meant meal planning, buying things on special and not eating out too much. Set limits of what you will spend a week and try to stick to it.
In regards to baby, as others have said get only necessities and don't go overboard. Cot/cradle and car seat and pram. Don't buy designer brands. We bought our cot from Target and its been great. Gumtree has great deals too.
Maybe don't upgrade the car if you don't need too. The repayments may be a bit too much while you are on maternity leave.

#9 maybeonemore

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

I'm having the same thoughts at the moment. We already have 2 kids and now with this unplanned 3rd one im quietly freaking out!

I sold ALL of my baby stuff, the only thing I have left is carseats, pusher (which I got back from my sister as she was given 4 of them) and baby monitor. My 6.5 year old wont need a carseat come August so at least ill not have to buy that.

Anyway this time around im going with nessessities only!

Cot, Change table, Pram, Carseat, clothes, nappies.

I have a lot of family and friends so hoping they will give me some stuff. We are buying second hand this time, plenty of cots and stuff on gumtree for like $100-200.

I do recommend getting a boucer/swing to put the baby in while its awake but just get 2nd hand, so many nice things out there for cheap.

We also need a new car mine fits 2 ok but not 3. I think you will be fine with your swift for the first one, like the others have said get a compact car seat and pram I wouldn't upgrade just yet.

Maternity leave - I get 12 weeks though work plus ill have 9.5 weeks long service leave and 2.5 weeks annual leave which I can take. Really hoping that the government doesn't change the 18 week ppl on me so I can at least stay home until june/july as financially 2 in childcare isn't worth working. At least its only for 6 months as my youngest starts school in 2018.

#10 Fright bat

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

I don't belong here, but just wanted to provide reassurance. Babies need very little, and there is so much that is marketed as necessary.

You don't need a thick play mat - a folded up old blanket or a thick baby wrap will be fine. I got so many when DS1 was born, people love buying thick wraps. Same with room thermometers - you will have a better idea by just feeling the ambient temperature - dress bub as you would yourself, and use blankets as you would also. It's much more accurate than a number on a device.

Baby baths are handy but not expensive, but honestly babies don't need baths daily (it can be bad for their skin), and some babies don't even enjoy them. A laundry sink is usually enough, and easier to use than a bath which has to be filled and tipped out, and is a better height for your back.

A small car just means you get a small pram. I had a pretty inexpensive folding pram which went from a flat recline to sitting for DS1. I ended up bowing to consumerism and getting a bugaboo for DS2, but honestly missed my small pram that cost 1/10th as much.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't buy a new car just to house a bigger pram. They are not more comfortable for parent or child, and honestly, they are just a status symbol.

I'd buy the absolute basics for now, and then wait to see what you're gifted, especially after the baby arrives. You can always get a couple extra things later.

#11 bec2585

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:20 AM

The only thing i need to upgrade is my car and its not because i want to fit everything into it. i just want to fit me, our baby, my husband and his son in it as he has a ute and i only have a 2 door getz. we are very fortunate that my sister inlaw is giving us her cot she used for all of her kids we just need a new mattress and my father inlaw has already put dips on buying a stroller and I'm sure my family and friends will also buy us many gifts along the way too because for my family its the first grandchild and neice/nephew and its very exciting for them.
always remember when you went to your last baby shower what that new mum got or when she was in hospital when the baby was born your baby will have so many gifts as will you too. don't stress to much. keep an eye on the buy swap sell Facebook pages in your area you might find some great stuff.

#12 HappyTapper

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

I came in from the side too.

I saw lovely thick cheap ABC playmats at Kmart yesterday for $19.

Our second car is a Polo and DH runs both kids around in it all the time. He can get two kids, one in a capsule and the single mountain buggy into the Polo.

I definitely would not get a new car, especially not on finance given you already have a personal loan.

We bought a collapsible baby bath for $10 online and 2 kids later it is still going strong.

You've got lots of time to plan and save and get things on special.

Congratulations!

#13 jemsoli

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

I don't belong here either, but I so don't understand why everyone feels they need a big car when they have a baby. yes, if you have a 2 door car then I do understand, but a small car for 1 or 2 kids is sufficient. yes, you wont be able to carry 5 people in the car, yes you will need to do more research on getting a pram that fits but it is SO much cheaper in the long term to keep your smaller car.

I had 3 kids under 4 in a Toyota corolla station wagon. I got 3 convertible car seats in the back (2 carseats, 1 capsule when youngest was smaller) and it was fine. it being a station wagon helped with the pram and stuff, but I just really don't understand why people think they need to spend 10s of thousands of $ on a new car just because they will have a baby.

lol rant over. of course, if it is not going to affect your income by getting a new car go for it.

#14 c.sanders

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

Hi op. I'm in the Sept DIG with bub no. 3
I felt similarly too you that we would go flat broke since I earned more than hubby but somehow you make it work.
don't forget you will be at home a lot so you will spend less on everything. Fuel, eating out etc.

Also, u can buy things second hand or fairly cheaply. Babies really dont need much. Target has fantastic sales mid year so I would stock up. But seriously,  Kmart has some great products too like our playmat.  They also have the best singles we bought, better than bonds or any other brand.
Don't get caught up in big brands. The best nappies and wipes I've found are the Coles comfy bots. Rarely leak and about $12 for 50.  I've tried all the brands including Huggins Costco and Aldi.  But the coles ones are the best ones hands down for price and quality.

at the end of the day if you do choose to refinance your loan or whatever, don't stress. ..it's just money...you have the rest of your life to earn more money.

I was probably a bit stingy with ds1 and regret not getting a bath/ change table but only cos it killed my back. Got one for ds2 and it's great...especially for explosive poos.

You can also get really compact strollers. We bought the steel craft agile stroller and capsule. Both are very compact and we'll be using it for the 3rd time this year hopefully

#15 eachschoolholidays

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

Join the second hand Facebook groups in your area. You will pick up baby gear for a fraction of the cost.

#16 Caribou

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:15 AM

I don't belong here, but I just wanted to say not to worry about your car size.

I had a two door fiat punto when DD was born, we took the car to the baby shop and the sales people were so helpful in letting us try all the carseats and prams in the car helping us find the right fit for our car.

As for money, you adjust, you know? save as much as you can now while you can. meal plan as much as you can too. store and freeze or fridge next day meals.

babies don't need much in terms of toys either. You just need a nice mat, and if you turned a tea towel into a knot they'll be equally overjoyed with it too. do lots of outdoor play and let them explore leaves, grass etc and they'll be more interested in that than toys on the floor. DD was more in love with cardboard boxes then her toys.

playgroup is a great source of toys as well as the toy library you'd find in play of places. libraries are also a great place to entertain kids too.

Best of luck!

#17 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

View Postjemsoli, on 17 February 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

I had 3 kids under 4 in a Toyota corolla station wagon.
awww I loved my toyota corolla station wagon, it met a sad end when a massive tree fell on it :(

View Posteachschoolholidays, on 17 February 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:

Join the second hand Facebook groups in your area. You will pick up baby gear for a fraction of the cost.

There has been some awesome inexpensive stuff in really good condition come up on mine, but I am not buying anything for a while.

I have a portacot that my sister gave me like 18 months ago lol That was before we started trying.

Try not to stress OP, I have seen some great bargains on BSS pages.

We are half way through renos, and now I am not allowed to help anymore (orders from FS) and we have holes in our walls and concrete floors in our bedroom etc! I am REALLY hoping that we finish by July. Fingers crossed! Then we will need to do the baby's room!

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:13 AM

Another one coming in from the side to reassure you that it doesn't need to be expensive. And if you really don't want to spend money, you can often get certain things second hand or even gifted on freecycle or facebook groups for your area, the sort of things that don't last long and are sturdy (cots, bassinets). I wouldn't spend any money until you actually find you have the need for the thing. There is SOOO much people buy that they don't need! I wouldn't get into more debt until you feel it's something you really need.

View PostMorton-89, on 16 February 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

e.g thick playmat for tummy time because we have wooden floors that are freezing in winter, room thermometers because our house gets very cold and I don't want baby to freeze, baby bath because my bath is too deep to comfortably bathe a baby etc. not necessities as such but things I know will make everything a million times easier :)

With an October bub you are unlikely to have a baby doing tummy time in winter, and when you do a blanket is fine. If you are getting a playmat you can also put it on top of a blanket if you feel it needs extra insulation. Thermometers... you can feel the temperature yourself! And baby baths are overrated (but if you get one, make sure it has a drainage plug), a mop bucket is better at certain ages and especially in winter when they can be more submerged in it.
I think the only real essentials are a cot, stroller, car seat, and for me but not everyone a baby carrier.

View Postjemsoli, on 17 February 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

I had 3 kids under 4 in a Toyota corolla station wagon. I got 3 convertible car seats in the back (2 carseats, 1 capsule when youngest was smaller) and it was fine. it being a station wagon helped with the pram and stuff, but I just really don't understand why people think they need to spend 10s of thousands of $ on a new car just because they will have a baby. lol rant over. of course, if it is not going to affect your income by getting a new car go for it.
Totally agree with this! I'll take your Corolla Station Wagon and raise you a Corolla Hatchback! ;)
We only retired ours last year when it got written off, and that was with a 1yo, 5yo and 6yo in the back. We had a MacLaren stroller which folds very flat, and could still fit in masses of shopping, scooters, and lots of odds and ends (just not bicycles, but it'll be a while before you need that!)

If you find yourself running out of space, buy it then. Don't get into large debt for things you think you need before you find out you do, would be my advice.

#19 Caribou

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

I should add, bathing the baby. I would shower her with me. no baby bath involved. I'd get DH to help me the first few weeks. He'd take her from me or vice versa while one of us finished showering when she was clean.

I did pick up a $10 baby towel seat (infasecure) to put into a big bath, didn't even fill it high, and just rinsed her in there. they grow so quickly those baths become useless quickly.

so much isn't needed. all the baby really needs a a cot, somewhere warm to sleep and clothes. the rest isn't necessarily needed.

#20 Morton-89

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for all your kind words lovelies :) I feel a lot better now after working out a budget. As much as I'd love to just keep my car it's really not practical. All our family lives at least 2hrs away so when we go we stay for the weekend so we need to fit luggage, baby, the two of us, dog, dog bed plus usually some of DH's tools because we usually help them do renos as DH is a builder. Plus I'd rather have the dog in the back of the car than in the backseat with LO :) But yeah there's not a lot that's a necessity, you're probably all right with the temp thing, I get nervous because DH and I don't feel cold really haha. I could probably bathe LO in the laundry sink if we fix it properly but showering I don't think I'm comfortable with. I have a shower over bath and slip all the time by myself in it let alone with a slippery newborn in my arms :) But I really appreciate everyone's reassurances, so glad this community is so welcoming and helpful!

#21 Caribou

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

Whoa whoa!

You'll have a baby! Don't travel to them! That's crazy! Situations change. They can come to you for the first year. I think your underestimating how little things change after the baby arrives!

Keep the car wait and see how things are after the baby is born. Seriously. You'll be refusing to travel two hours quickly enough.

#22 *cough*

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

Gumtree. Seriously I have picked up excellent stuff, all the top end stuff for a fraction of the cost.

Fancy pram $350 rather than $800 plus accessories
Fancy high chair $50 not $700
Balance bike $10 not $70
Toys, buy in bundles for $10/$20
Big oversized plastic car ramp thingy $20 not $110.
Expensive wraps $50-$70, I paid $10 for them.

Mostly things you can wash or wipe over with antibacterial wipes.

There are things I would buy new cot mattress, bottles etc but the rest you can reuse very easily.

Also what PP said, just wait and see what you need. How you think you will parent and how you actually will are very different things.

I would not skimp on a car seat, get something that has good markers and is an A4 and it will last you ages. Infasecure are also bringing out an A4 and G type seat for 0-8 years - $699 and total bargain for that amount of use.

Don't listen to what the sales people say, buy what you want.

Good luck xx

#23 Mumanik

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

If you have a small car I wouldn't worry about a pram I would just get a wrap for a newborn.
I wouldnt worry about a change table I had one but used my bed mostly!
I had a bassinet and cot but my baby has mostly slept in my bed!
I would say for me the essentials were
Wrap (I have a hugabub) nappies, wipes, swaddling wraps and clothes. Then for mum I had breast pads, maternity pads, lansinoh for nipples, maternity singlets and baggy shirts to go over the top.
Baby can have a shower or bath in sink but the newborn days re about sleep poop and eat!

#24 Mumanik

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

Definitely agree with the quality car seat rear facing for as long as possible!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.