Swimwear shopping for your child. HELP!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 101questions

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

My partner and I are interested in starting an online swimwear line for children, and would love to hear from other parents, what works easier for the family, when shopping for children's clothes.

As a consumer,
Are you more inclined to shop online or in stores?
Why do you like to shop more online/in store?
What ways do you search/find online children's clothes (Instagram, Facebook, Etsy, Google etc)?
What kind of concerns do you have shopping online?
What has been your experience from shopping online?
Do you face any struggles when shopping in a store? (pram restrictions etc)
Do you buy swimwear seasonally or all year round?
How often do you find yourself buying swimwear for your child?
What are the 3 most important things you look for when you are buying swimwear for your child?
What has your experience been, when you have purchased an item online and needed to return it?
Do you find that the item you purchase online is the same shown on the website?
What age is your child that you are shopping for?

I appreciate everyones comments who takes their time to answer (i'm new to this, so I hope this works! lol)

Thank you :)

#2 crankybee

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

My daughter is 4 and in size 8 swimmers. Please make knee length shorts in all sizes!

Too busy to add more, sorry!

#3 got my tinsel on

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

When DD was younger, I found that a lot of 1 piece swimmers were too short in the body length even though she was not really tall for her age.  They only seemed to suit 'shorties'.

#4 Jingleflea

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

I've only just started looking for swimwear and there are a few things I found frustrating.

Sets:
My DD is a 5 in tops but only a 4 or so in bottoms so ready made sets don't work for her. I want separates.

Straps:
I want proper short sleeves or longer sleeves tops, not stupid straps which offer NO sun protection and aren't comfortable when swimming.

I don't buy online I like to see and touch the quality of fabrics and clothing.

No shops should have so little space you can't fit a wheelchair or pram in them.

#5 Lifesgood

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

I think you need to get permission from the mods to post this kind of thing (if you haven't already).

But for my part I always buy my kids swimwear online as there is very limited choice in the shops.

My online shopping experience has always been excellent, returns no problem on the rare occasion I've needed to.

Three main considerations when purchasing:
- chlorine resistant fabric
- nice/colourful/interesting designs, especially for my son and non-sexy/skimpy designs for DD
- reasonable price and postage

I buy swimwear for my kids once or twice a year usually, in Autumn and Spring.

Edited by Lifesgood, 24 January 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#6 MarchyMama

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:04 PM

My children both do swimming lessons all year round so I am purchasing swimwear all year round.

Things about little girls' swimwear that annoy me-

Bikinis. No. Just no. Tankinis, yes. But triangular shaped bikini top and bottom sets in sizes 00 to 4? No.

Agree with PP about knee length shorts being available to both genders in all sizes.

Long sleeve rashies for both genders in all sizes.

More generous bottom-cuts (ie 'boy-leg') for smaller sizes to accommodate swim nappies. Why on earth do size 0 swimmers have high-cut legs when there will be a swim nappy underneath it?

Different body-length options for one pieces. My girls are both long in the body and often they need to go up a size for length but then the swimwear is baggy in the stomach and bottom, or too wide in the shoulders.

Personally I try and go for primary colours and as gender neutral as I can manage with clothing in general, which is apparently an impossibility in swimwear.

Separate pieces and different sizes in 'sets' would be great. Especially in the 2-6 size range, my eldest is 3 in April and has clothing ranging from size 2 to size 5 in her wardrobe. She is not toilet trained yet, so some of the bottoms she has I've had to go up a size to accommodate a nappy. Remember that not all kids are toilet trained by the time they're in size 4 or 5.

And make sure that all the designs are sunsmart, not just the boys'. Girls should not have to wear two layers of swimwear to be sunsmart, they should have the option of a zip-up one piece with short sleeves.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:05 PM

Prefer to shop online - little kids are fairly standard sizes and I'm a busy working mum - shopping on line is convenient. I expect quick despatch and reasonable shipping rates though, and a good returns policy - 30 days minimum.
I only buy swimwear for summer.
I wish there was ankle to wrist length swimmers more readily available. My kids are as lily white as their mum and burn super easy. I'd much prefer to have them properly covered than be relying on sun cream.
To be honest the range of swimwear currently available does my head in. Unless the kids are swimming in indoor pools most of it is appalling for sun safety.

I would love long sleeve but zip up tops so kids can get out of them when wet, and longer bottoms. If the two pieces could clip easily together to stop the back being vulnerable to sunburn when the kids lean over that would be awesome but it must be hard as no one does it. Separates are kind of necessary for toileting.

And a nice girls range that covers at least elbows to knees. Boys tend to have more choice sun safe wise as a general rule.

#8 Emm27

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:05 PM

My kids are 4 (girl) and 6 (boy).

I buy swimwear all year round as we have a pool, spend lots at time at the beach over summer plus the kids do swimming lessons all year in an indoor pool.

I prefer long sleeve rashies for both as it means less sunscreen needed. I'd prefer to buy separates if possible as my daughter wears a size 4 rashie yet size 4 bikini bottoms are baggy.

I'd like better color choices for girls, so much of what is around is pink and purple, which doesn't suit my daughter at all.

#9 mused

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:16 AM

- Separates as most children wear a different size bottom to top.
- A variety of colour choices and pictures/patterns. I am so sick of having the choice between pink with flowers or pink with butterflies for my daughter (or princesses or Frozen...) What's wrong with blue, green, yellow, purple, red?
- Definitely sun smart options which are very limited despite our appalling melanoma stats in Australia. Long sleeved tops and knee length pants (and budget friendly is even better).

I would usually buy at the beginning of summer and shop both online and in store. When online I like cheap shipping and fast dispatch, with good communication and a PayPal option.

#10 Threetwoone

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:36 PM

Agree with the others.
Knee length short in all sizes girls and boys
Variety in girls swimmers, my daughter is 10 and I don't want her in tiny bikinis but she likes a top under her rashie now.
Sleeves on a one piece would be nice. The problem with one pieces is going to the toilet and getting changed pool side.
Something that isn't ruined by chlorine right away.

#11 Prancer is coming

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

I buy lots of things on line and my kids shop all year round.  For the first time ever I even bought myself bathers on line, as I love takini's but all the ones in store for a reasonable price are about looking good rather than boob support!

For the kids I would like to see more long sleeve rashies.  There seems to be heaps of short sleeve ones and long sleeves are harder to find.  I have a 9 year old who is tall so we need to go up some sizes.  A better range of teen and pre teen would be good - not just bikinis or fashion pieces.

#12 sandy34

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

Long sleeve AND long legged onesies (or combos)!! DS is very fair and looking for a sunsafe costume was impossible!

#13 EmmDasher

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

My DD is nearly 2.

I prefer online shopping because I'd be kidding myself if I thought I'd actually get her to try anything on in a shop.

My daughter is tall and skinny with no butt and a REALLY big head. For those reasons, I prefer separate tops and bottoms. Our swimwear of choice are those reuseable swim nappy bottoms (bikini bottom with plastic liner) and a long sleeve zip up rashie.

Long sleeve zip up rashies are virtually impossible to find for girls in my experience. I located 1 option this summer in her size (2). I need the zip up to get over her big head and I need long sleeve for sun protection.

I buy swimwear once a year at the start of summer (September-ish in QLD).

Biggest concerns:
1. Fit/comfort
2. Sun protection
3. Fabric quality (this currently takes a back seat because beggars can't be choosers).
4. Design aesthetic - because I get separates I hate clashing patterns. DD has patterned swimmer bottoms and a plain pink rashie. I hate the nasty, pink/purple shade used in most cheap girls clothes though.

#14 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Check out Lands End swimwear. I purchase for the whole family from there.

I will admit to purchasing for my DD from the "boys" range for swim shorts as they are longer.

I only purchase Tankinis for DD for indoor swimming. It makes it easier with a young child to go to the toilet without jphaving to roll up/down swimwear.

The swimwear items are available in lots of colours and co ordinate across separates so I can get a short sleeve, long sleeve rashiesrashies, plus swim bottoms, Tankinis top and swim shorts in co ordinating colours.

Oh yeah, they don't just do pink/purple, so DDs last swimwear was red and navy, white/blue/navy etc.

#15 MarciaB

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

This is a 4 yo thread! How in earth did it get bumped!

#16 lucky 2

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:51 PM

Spam!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.