Mercedes V class (new Viano) V250

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nspired

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:35 AM

EDIT: Sorry I've just joined and others have suggested it looks a bit spammy. I'm not a dealer, or associated with it. Just a happy forum user trying to help out others looking at cars :-)

------
Hey guys thanks I've been using this forum a lot as we recently had our 4th child arrived.  One of the hard things to do was find a suitable car, so I thought I would write my thoughts on the van we just bought.

The car we got was Mercedes V Class - V250 Avantgarde

My family:
  • 4 kids: 7.5, 5.5, 2 year old and 8 month old
  • I need room for double pram (Phill and Teds Vibe)
  • I will be keeping kids in car seats until they are 145cm at least (e.g. 10-12 years old)
I compared it to:
  • New model 2015 Kia Carnival Platinum
  • 2015 Honda Oddysey
  • Outgoing model of VW Multivan (T5 Trendline and Highline)
Kia Carnival 2015 model:
  • The new model Very impressive car in every way
  • I wasn't happy with the 4 star safety rating
  • I had actually ordered it but cancelled it when safety rating came out.  I was wanting a reason to get the Merc and this was it
Honda Odyssey
  • Great car
  • Not big enough
  • I couldn't fit the pram in the boot and the anchors straps from the car seats in back cut in to boot space
VW Multivan
  • Great car
  • 12 year old platform though
  • interior dated
  • Fantastic amount of room
  • Didn't feel like getting old, outgoing model on such an old platform
Mercedes V250 Avantgarde:
  • I added: Metallic paint + 360deg Camera + Digital Radio + 8 seat option (instead of 7 seats)
  • So its 2 + 3 + 3 seating configuration
  • Very Large car - lots of room!
  • SUPER IMPORTANT: 5 star safety rating, has curtain airbags and everything safety
  • Has all the warning things, Lane departure warning, blind spot assist, etc etc
  • New model has fantastic interior quality
  • Great to drive.  (we had Audi Q5 and this van is WAYY better!)
  • Both sliding doors are electric
  • Car Seats: It has 4 ISOFIX locations and 6 seat belt anchor points
  • Anchor points are built in to the back of each chair, so it doesn't impinge on accessibility to cabin
  • I put Baby behind driver. 5.5 year old in the middle in the middle row;  2 year old in back row on left and 7 year old back row behind driver
  • So that means middle row LEFT seat can fold (and flip if need be) for easy access to back row
  • I can carry 2 year old into back row, standing up and strap him in, without hurting back.
  • My 70 year old mum with arthritis can get into back row easily enough
  • Large Adults can fit in the 2 spare seats
  • I could remove the middle left seat if i wanted to
BOOT:
  • Electric tailgate
  • The glass can open independently too
  • There is a parcel shelf that can support 50kg of load.  So its like having two boots.  So the pram stays in bottom half (and only removed when needed) and most of day to day boot accessing happens through glass window only
Travelling:
  • We have gone away on holidays, so I put three kids in middle row, and just left 2 year old in back row
  • I folded down the back 2 seats on the rear right/middle and that gave me even more boot space
  • I fit all our clothes, suitcases, esky etc.
  • Fit a high chair (large one) and 2 port-a-cots
  • Toys, playmats etc
Whats missing:
  • No keyless entry (i.e. we cant keep key in the handbag and just touch the door handle to unlock it)
  • No keyless start! (not even a start button. So we have to put key in ignition to start the car lol)  (We've had 8 years of cars with keyless entry and keyless start
Overall: Really happy with it, great choice.  Drives like a car.  Parking takes a bit of getting used to.  Highly recommended!

It really feels like it is a no-compromises vehicle.  (And it is priced accordingly!)

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Edited by nspired, 23 December 2015 - 10:21 AM.

#2 ~river song~

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

First post and it's to review a car...and one that's out of most people's budgets at nearly $90,000

Rightio then

Edited by ~river song~, 23 December 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#3 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

never mind.....

Edited by BadCat, 23 December 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#4 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:49 AM

Business a bit slow at your Mercedes dealership then?

#5 nspired

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

ah lol yes sorry bad move for my first post ...   I haven't joined a new chat forum in a while so I totally forgot how it looks being my first post and all.

in all seriousness though it is legit, not advertising, just trying to be helpful.. definitely not a car dealer or mercedes rep etc..

I know not many people would be buying with in that budget but I just found it annoying when looking at all these vehicles that I couldn't even find info such as what seats can be removed and where the anchors points are. Half the time the dealers don't even know..

#6 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

Fair enough.  :lol:

#7 dulcinea

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

Just come across this and I do have a few questions - in case you want to come back and help OP.

We're probably in the market for a people mover. I have a 4yo, a 5yo and I am due with twins in Feb. We have a Landrover Discovery (which is a 7 seater) and we a very happy with it, but I can't really see how to get all our stuff and a double pram fitting in. Plus access to the back row is not ideal. I need to capsules to fit in the middle row behind the driver and I am NOT keen on having to lift a capsule into the middle seat.

Do you think I could both capsules into the middle row, one on the left one on the right and still have my other children access the back row easily? Do the doors open wide enough for them? Or would I need to take out the middle row middle seat and have them go through there?

I think I will just have to go look at it but any hints are helpful!

#8 nspired

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

View Postdulcinea, on 04 January 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

We have a Landrover Discovery (which is a 7 seater) and we a very happy with it, but I can't really see how to get all our stuff and a double pram fitting in. Plus access to the back row is not ideal.

Yeah I looked at that vehicle too, and accessibility to the back row was the reason I went with the van.

Do you think I could both capsules into the middle row, one on the left one on the right and still have my other children access the back row easily? Do the doors open wide enough for them?

Capsules fit easily in the car.  And multiple in 1 row won't be an issue in terms of fitting it in.

There are two seating options for the middle row.  One is having 3 seats, and the other is having 2 captains chairs.

We went with the 3 seats in the middle row.  (So that we can have 8 seats if we want)

I currently have our 8 month old (capsule) behind the driver) and our 5 year old in the middle of the middle row.  And the back row has our 7 year old and 2 year old.

I actually fold the left chair in middle row over and carry the 2 year old in to the back row (there is enough space) and its easy enough on my back thank goodness)

Not sure if it would be practical with a capsule that way.

But to answer your question, I can have the seats all upright and my 7 year old can squeeze in to the back row.  So your 5 and 4 your old could do that.  (But how would you access it if you need to do their seat belts or get them out!

Or would I need to take out the middle row middle seat and have them go through there?
No you can't take out the middle row, middle seat (unless you get the captains chair). But the capsules would be blocking access.

The way I would probably do it is:
  • Get the 8 seat option. (3 seats in middle row)
  • Remove the left seat in the middle row.
  • Put the two capsules in the middle right, and middle middle seats.

Because there is no seat on left in the middle row, you'll be able to access the capsule and put it in easily enough. And this way you have plenty of access to the back row.

NOTE: I'm going to have our 8 month old rear-facing until at least 18months to 2 years (or longer if I can swing it!).  The new seats you can get allow them to be rear-facing up to 3 years.  So maybe keep that in mind when planning the seating configurations...

#9 meeka_inc

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:50 AM

View Postnspired, on 23 December 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

EDIT: Sorry I've just joined and others have suggested it looks a bit spammy. I'm not a dealer, or associated with it. Just a happy forum user trying to help out others looking at cars :-)

------
Hey guys thanks I've been using this forum a lot as we recently had our 4th child arrived.  One of the hard things to do was find a suitable car, so I thought I would write my thoughts on the van we just bought.

The car we got was Mercedes V Class - V250 Avantgarde

My family:
  • 4 kids: 7.5, 5.5, 2 year old and 8 month old
  • I need room for double pram (Phill and Teds Vibe)
  • I will be keeping kids in car seats until they are 145cm at least (e.g. 10-12 years old)
I compared it to:
  • New model 2015 Kia Carnival Platinum
  • 2015 Honda Oddysey
  • Outgoing model of VW Multivan (T5 Trendline and Highline)
Kia Carnival 2015 model:
  • The new model Very impressive car in every way
  • I wasn't happy with the 4 star safety rating
  • I had actually ordered it but cancelled it when safety rating came out.  I was wanting a reason to get the Merc and this was it
Honda Odyssey
  • Great car
  • Not big enough
  • I couldn't fit the pram in the boot and the anchors straps from the car seats in back cut in to boot space
VW Multivan
  • Great car
  • 12 year old platform though
  • interior dated
  • Fantastic amount of room
  • Didn't feel like getting old, outgoing model on such an old platform
Mercedes V250 Avantgarde:
  • I added: Metallic paint + 360deg Camera + Digital Radio + 8 seat option (instead of 7 seats)
  • So its 2 + 3 + 3 seating configuration
  • Very Large car - lots of room!
  • SUPER IMPORTANT: 5 star safety rating, has curtain airbags and everything safety
  • Has all the warning things, Lane departure warning, blind spot assist, etc etc
  • New model has fantastic interior quality
  • Great to drive.  (we had Audi Q5 and this van is WAYY better!)
  • Both sliding doors are electric
  • Car Seats: It has 4 ISOFIX locations and 6 seat belt anchor points
  • Anchor points are built in to the back of each chair, so it doesn't impinge on accessibility to cabin
  • I put Baby behind driver. 5.5 year old in the middle in the middle row;  2 year old in back row on left and 7 year old back row behind driver
  • So that means middle row LEFT seat can fold (and flip if need be) for easy access to back row
  • I can carry 2 year old into back row, standing up and strap him in, without hurting back.
  • My 70 year old mum with arthritis can get into back row easily enough
  • Large Adults can fit in the 2 spare seats
  • I could remove the middle left seat if i wanted to
BOOT:
  • Electric tailgate
  • The glass can open independently too
  • There is a parcel shelf that can support 50kg of load.  So its like having two boots.  So the pram stays in bottom half (and only removed when needed) and most of day to day boot accessing happens through glass window only
Travelling:
  • We have gone away on holidays, so I put three kids in middle row, and just left 2 year old in back row
  • I folded down the back 2 seats on the rear right/middle and that gave me even more boot space
  • I fit all our clothes, suitcases, esky etc.
  • Fit a high chair (large one) and 2 port-a-cots
  • Toys, playmats etc
Whats missing:
  • No keyless entry (i.e. we cant keep key in the handbag and just touch the door handle to unlock it)
  • No keyless start! (not even a start button. So we have to put key in ignition to start the car lol)  (We've had 8 years of cars with keyless entry and keyless start
Overall: Really happy with it, great choice.  Drives like a car.  Parking takes a bit of getting used to.  Highly recommended!

It really feels like it is a no-compromises vehicle.  (And it is priced accordingly!)

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

BRAVO!!! Thanks for this in-depth review! I know this post is a bit old, but wondering how you're still liking the M.V/Class 3 years later?  My parents have a M. Valente and love it!

I do Family Day Care and currently have Toyota Tarago (and looking to upgrade), and while I LOVE it for the super ease of driving and parking, with 8 bodies (3 of those being teens with school bags/ laptops & sports bags), we are super squished!

I need to be able to fit 3 car seats (Safe'n'Sound Maxi Riders) in the 3rd row; I read that the M. only has two  ISOFIX points in each row, so would be needing a 3rd anchor point.

Thanks again!

Edited by meeka_inc, 06 December 2018 - 07:13 AM.

#10 meeka_inc

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:08 AM

And just to add, I need my seat configurations to be 2 + 3 + 3;

3rd Row: 3 x car seats - do love the Safe'n'Sounds Maxi Guard Pro, but just realised they don't come with ISOFIX - grrr!

2nd Row: 1 x car seat (fitted behind driver's seat).

#11 nspired

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

View Postmeeka_inc, on 06 December 2018 - 06:50 AM, said:

BRAVO!!! Thanks for this in-depth review! I know this post is a bit old, but wondering how you're still liking the M.V/Class 3 years later?  

Functionally/Practically the car is fantastic.   It works really well for us.  Our kids are now 10.5, 8, 5, 3.5.  

10.5 is in a Safe n Sound Tourer Booster Seat.
8 is in Safe n Sound Hi Liner
5 is in Safe n Sound Maxi Guard Pro
3.5 is in Safe n Sound Platinum Pro ISOFIX

Middle row is 3.5 year old; 8 year old;
Barck row is 10.5 and 5 year olds.  

(Tourer Booster seat sometimes goes between rows 2 and 3 and is easy because no anchor needed.

Quality issues/faults!
I'm dissapointed to be honest.  We've taken it in for warranty issues at least 8 times this year? (Car is just turning 3)

Their customer service is great, but its a massive inconvenience.

* Boot wasn't closing properly
* Boot wasn't opening properly
* One of autosliding doors wasn't automatically closing/opening properly (took in 2 or 3 times)
* Lane Departure warning wasn't working (warning showed on dash)
* Distronic wasn't working (warning showed on dash)
* Boot played up again
* Autosliding side door played up again
* Wiring loom under front seat had issue

And there are some other issues too.   (I'd still get the car again but I'm very dissapointed in so many issues)

View Postmeeka_inc, on 06 December 2018 - 06:50 AM, said:

with 8 bodies (3 of those being teens with school bags/ laptops & sports bags), we are super squished!

I need to be able to fit 3 car seats (Safe'n'Sound Maxi Riders) in the 3rd row; I read that the M. only has two  ISOFIX points in each row, so would be needing a 3rd anchor point.

Whilst there are only 2 ISOFIX points in each row, you can use the traditional anchor points to securely fasten the child seats to the vehicle.  ie there are 6 Australian Standards Anchor points, and 4 ISOFIX.

So I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that.

I would consider putting 2 of the Maxi Riders in the middle row, rather than 3rd, because whilst you can get in and out of back row fairly easily to strap the younger children in, it could get annoying on a daily basis with multiple kids.

3 of those seats would fit easily side by side with no issues.

View Postmeeka_inc, on 06 December 2018 - 07:08 AM, said:

And just to add, I need my seat configurations to be 2 + 3 + 3;

3rd Row: 3 x car seats - do love the Safe'n'Sounds Maxi Guard Pro, but just realised they don't come with ISOFIX - grrr!

2nd Row: 1 x car seat (fitted behind driver's seat).

Yes that configuration will be fine.  

The split boot opening (on the V250 Avantguard model) is great because you can just open the glass section, rather than the whole boot tailgate, if you want.

Let me know if you have any other questions

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.