What Age for Balance bike

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 My4beautifulboys

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:42 PM

I'm looking at buying my Ds a balance bike for his Birthday, he'll be turning two.

Do you think 2 would be too young for one or not? I looked at one today and the age says from 3 up. I'd imagine it would depend whether or not he can reach the ground comfortably when sitting on the seat?

Have you bought one for your Ds/Dd and st what age? Are they good? I didn't buy one for my other three children, they seemed to just go straight onto a bike with training wheels at 3 1/2 to 4 yrs.

#2 Renovators delight

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

I have bought two this year - one for DS1 for his third birthday, and one for DS2 for his second birthday, as he was quite obsessed with DS1s.

DS1 is really good at coasting around on it now, DS2 is just happy to sit astride it and plod around, but he does get a great deal of enjoyment from it.

DS1 is quite tall, about 108cm, DS2 is about 92cm, but can easily sit on the balance bike with the seat lowered.

I bought this one:
http://www.velogear....bike-19925.html

#3 ~Kay~

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

I went to buy a bike for my almost 3year old for Christmas & advice from the bike shop was that's too old for 1st balance bike go straight to training wheels.

So I think 2 years is perfect. You need to get the right one though.

Check out this link. Mind boggling.

#4 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

Our kids got one at about 18 months and then first bikes at 3.

#5 AJPM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

Both my boys had one at 2yrs and DS1 was riding a pedal bike by 3 1/2 yrs. So I don't think 2 is too young at all. You are right that the height of the bike is the problem. Couldn't find one small enough for DS2, so he rides his brothers old one with the seat right down and some air out of the tyres. Works fine :)

And yes I think they are great. I think kids need to master 2 things - balancing and getting the pedals pushing forward. By the time DS1 got on his bike with training wheels his balance and coasting was great, it took him two short sessions to get the hang of pushing the pedals (with training wheels on) and then he said take them off and he was done.

Edited by Alexajane, 22 October 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#6 aprilrainatxmas

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

Going to get  flamed but none of mine had these and learnt to ride at about 3-4 and ride very well now. Started with the 12" and kicked the training wheels up so they learn a balance point and then took them off. I just don't get the balance bike thing at all. My girl was tiny as well, so wasn't even size related.

#7 marple

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

We have a First Bike. It is good, my DS has loved it for months. He is 3.

#8 Future-self

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

We got one for DS for his 2nd birthday. Despite buying an adjustable one and measuring his leg it was too tall. He turned three last month and has been using it for about 4/5 months now and loves it .

#9 Fossy

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

My daughter got the one tarantara linked for her second birthday. She loves it. She can't peddle a proper bike yet so it's a good option as she can still 'ride' with the older kids.

#10 Orangecake

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

DS loves his balance bike, he's 3.5 and started when he was 2 yrs 8 months. He is very fast and confident on the bike. Its a source of great fun, good exercise (tires him out!) and he can use it on bike tracks etc. He can use a pedal bike but can't go as far and tires quickly. A lot of his friends with pedal bikes do need a lot of adult help when out riding (the training wheels get stuck, they get tired quickly etc)

So while not essential, we've found it a great investment. I'd def try to get one with a good seat range from low to high as they grow so quickly.

#11 Lou-bags

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:21 PM

We also got DS one for his 2nd birthday last month.

He's very tall (97th centile), but we don't have the seat on the lowest setting so it could easily suit a shorter child.

He loves it, but at this stage doesn't spend more than 10 minutes on it at a time before getting bored. If I allowed him to ride it in the house, that would be a different matter, lol. He's constantly asking to bring it in!

#12 Mowzer

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:27 PM

There is no need to spend money on a balance bike. Just buy a bike and take the pedals off. Both mine learnt this way. They spent a week without pedals, then we put them back on and off they went like they had been riding all their lives.

#13 mandala

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

It really depends on your child's height. I think they get the most out of them from 2.5 on. Lots of kids don't have the leg strength for peddling until closer to five.

We've decided not to upgrade DS to a pedal bike for his fourth birthday because there's no way we could keep up with him unless we are riding too!

Www.twowheelingtots.com is a great introduction to all things about kids and bikes.

#14 Something Witty

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

My DS got one for his second birthday. In terms of size, it was fine. He just wasn't interested in it. Nor is he interested in the bike he got for his third birthday...

#15 BeAwesome

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

My DD got one at around 2, and hated it, as it didn't look like her big sisters regular bike.  It was never used, and sold on eBay.

#16 Allosaurus

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

aprilrain, on 22 October 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Going to get  flamed but none of mine had these and learnt to ride at about 3-4 and ride very well now. Started with the 12" and kicked the training wheels up so they learn a balance point and then took them off. I just don't get the balance bike thing at all. My girl was tiny as well, so wasn't even size related.

I don't see why you think you would be flamed? Your kids obviously had good balance already.

I just knew my kids would be the ones clinging to their trainer wheels at 8 if I didn't get them developing their balance on the balance bike. My eldest never crawled properly so I thought it could be an issue for him. He never needed trainer wheels at all after using the balance bike. I didn't give them trikes, just the balance bike instead which they rode between 2.5 and 4.5 yrs of age.

I have also seen some bikes with the pedals taken off to become balance bikes.

#17 Allosaurus

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:08 PM

SlinkyMalinki, on 22 October 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

My DD got one at around 2, and hated it, as it didn't look like her big sisters regular bike.  It was never used, and sold on eBay.

The one I got looked like a regular bike, or similar to a motor bike. Although DS was initially miffed that it did not have "extra wheels"

The thing I loved about them was they were so light to carry compared to a bike. Kids that age tire riding halfway home and it is so awkward to push the tiny bike, but the balanc e bike I could sling over my shoulder or the pram!

#18 flyingkiwi

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:09 PM

Both our boys used balance bikes from about 3. Depending on the child, 2 might be a little young, but they'll use it sooner or later.

To the posters saying they are not necessary - of course they're not essential, but neither are they just a device to get kids onto "real" bikes. They're a fantastic mode of transport in their own right, DS2 (3 1/2) fairly whizzes along on his, and as a PP mentioned doesn't get stuck on curbs or need help going uphill.

Although another suggestion if you're not sure - toy libraries often have balance bikes for hire, so you could try one out that way first.

#19 Lorem ipsum

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:31 PM

DS had a strider from 18 months.

He absolutely loves it and he is now 3. It has given him excellent balance and bike handling skills,  I think he will be able to transition to a regular bike without training wheels.

But it really depends on the kid. Some other kids his age are just not interested.

I am a big fan though

#20 My4beautifulboys

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:58 PM

Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions. I think they sound like a great idea for young ones to learn balance. It's a little hard to tell if Ds would be interested in it or not? Atm he seems to enjoy me pushing him around on his older Brother's bike, so I imagine that's a good sign.
Mind you though when he was 18 mths I bought him a little Skuttlebug trike. But he hasn't seemed very interested in peddling that along with his feet, so I'm not sure? I think we might buy him one and see how he goes.

#21 **Xena**

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

I bought my son one and he hated it. Rode it once for a few seconds and then never again -.- That being said I know other kids who loved them. Do you know anyone with one so you can see what he's like with it first?

#22 AnnaSchmanna

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

mandala, on 22 October 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

We've decided not to upgrade DS to a pedal bike for his fourth birthday because there's no way we could keep up with him unless we are riding too!

That's why my husband bought us adult scooters, lol. Easier to keep up than on foot, but easier for starting and stopping compared to being on a bike. And there can be a lot of starting and stopping and herding... My DH may also be enjoying a second childhood.

We got DS his balance bike at around age 2 and he loved it from the start. It's a Trek one so looks like a regular bike. He loves anything with wheels though. He does seem to cover more distance faster on the balance bike these days compared to on his trike or scooter. He's now 3, and has really worked out how to give a few good kicks and cruise along.

#23 Fright bat

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:40 PM

As much as you want to give it to him on his birthday for a surprise, I would highly recommend taking him to purchase one. Both my boys are shaped quite differently, and the beautiful 'surprise' balance bike I bought for the firstborn was never used because the position of the seat and handlebars was completely wrong. Fortunately DS2 was able to use it or it would have been a waste of money. Likewise I bought DS2 a pedal bike without him there (yes, didn't learn the first time) and it was wrong for him also. Better have another kid...

No but seriously, there are a stack of bikes and varieties around. Don't buy a bike without your child.

#24 aprilrainatxmas

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:52 PM

If you don't mind secondhand maybe try your local facebook buy, swap and sell page. On my local one there are a couple a week asking if anyone has one they are finished with. They may be happy for you to let him test it out for size/shape too.

I do understand the thing about not all children having good balance. I had great balance as a child, could walk along the top of the fence, but hopeless on a bike. My parents bought a 20" and I was a small 6yo. I have just started to ride again but still run into trees, fall off, etc. My 9yo rolls her eyes. I need a nice big balance bike for me!

#25 My4beautifulboys

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:13 PM

No I wouldn't buy him one without trying him on it for size. I wouldn't really matter if it's not a big surprise, it's better to make sure it's right.mThere is one in our local toy shop, I think it's a British brand and its $110, which I didn't think was too bad.

Eta, the brand of it is Kiddiemoto

Edited by my4beautifulboys, 22 October 2015 - 11:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.