Sneak peek! New Essential Kids site launching soon

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 F.E.B.E

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

Four years ago, we launched essentialkids.com.au for parents who had outgrown our sister site Essential Baby. In that time we’ve grown to reach 1.8 million readers a month with a combination of news, entertainment, advice and hints and tips for busy parents.

We all know that kids grow up a lot in four years, and so have we.  It was time for a fresh new look.

That’s why  we’re thrilled to be launching an all-new, improved Essential Kids experience in the coming weeks. Some of the new features include:

- An adaptive site design, delivering a seamless experience across devices for parents on the go
- A new homepage which is cleaner, image-led and easier easy to scan
- Quick links to popular content such as worksheets, forums and meal planning
- Smarter navigation and search functionality so you can quickly find what you are looking for
- Links to forums relevant to topic of interest, so you can discuss and be encouraged by the experiences of real parents
- A fun new logo featuring our new symbol, a paper plane
- No changes to the forums except a new logo and navigation at the top of the page

Please see some screenshots below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

With love,
Amber, Katie, Marion, Livia, Michelle and the rest of the Essential Kids team

#2 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

Ooh new and shiney

#3 FeralZombieMum

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

Important question - have you changed the forum colours?

#4 JustBeige

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:31 PM

Squeee!!  It looks great :D

Well done to you and your team Amber :thumbs:

#5 Fourteenyears

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

It looks super. I like the plane (so appropriate - paper planes are huge at my place right now!) and the colours.

#6 FeelingcLucky

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:51 PM

Uber cool!

#7 F.E.B.E

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:53 PM

Important question - have you changed the forum colours?

No, everything below the Essential Kids logo will remain the same on the forums as part of this project launch. We do plan to revamp the forums for EB and EK next year.

#8 ~J_F~

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

An app would be good in the near future :)

#9 Ianthe

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

View PostEBeditor, on 06 October 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

No, everything below the Essential Kids logo will remain the same on the forums as part of this project launch. We do plan to revamp the forums for EB and EK next year.

Make sure I have plenty of notice so I can stock up on drink as I read all the complaints ;)

#10 lazycritter

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:07 PM

Essential kids forum is exactly the same as essential baby isn't it?  Interchangeable?

#11 F.E.B.E

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:24 AM

Essential kids forum is exactly the same as essential baby isn't it?  Interchangeable?

The content is the same but they have different 'skins' - EK's is blue and EB is yellow.

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

Nope. I don't like new colour. I'm going back to EB and the duck. I had used EK ever since the bright orange/yellow debacle a few years ago. EK was blue and soothing. Now it's ugly.

Long live the duck.

#13 Chocolate Addict

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

Have we always had the humungous gap at the top of the page?

Seems like I have to scroll half way down the page just to get to the topic headers. Don't like that but the rest is fine ;)

#14 ~Mintie~

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 14 October 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

Have we always had the humungous gap at the top of the page?

Seems like I have to scroll half way down the page just to get to the topic headers. Don't like that but the rest is fine ;)

Perhaps screen shot that and post it here, if you don't mind? I don't seem to have that issue, but it may be a glitch.

#15 tothebeach

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

Looks great.   May need to finally graduate from EB to EK.   Which shouldn't be a problem....seeing as my son is nearly 11.

#16 Daisy Chain

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

Love the colour and Paper Plane.

#17 Chocolate Addict

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

View Post~Mintie~, on 14 October 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Perhaps screen shot that and post it here, if you don't mind? I don't seem to have that issue, but it may be a glitch.

I looked on EB and the big gap isn't on EB so might have to move back there :p

The gap is actually yet another ad banner that EB seems to not have.

As per the second photo in the OP, there is that big banner (St George) that isn't on EB and it pushes the whole page down.
Like I said, it might have been there before and I didn't notice :p

#18 F.E.B.E

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

Chocolate addict, the big ad is up next to the logo on EB. It was moved down on EK to match the rest of the EK site (e.g articles).

#19 Chocolate Addict

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:11 PM

I am using EB again now, that massive ad banner was doing my head in :p

#20 andieinvic

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:39 AM

An issue I have is that the forum navigation bar is too close to the menus above it (at top of screen).  When using a touch screen half the time I hit the menu instead of being able to quickly navigate back to where I want to go, it's very frustrating.

Eta I do quite like the new look logo etc :)

Edited by andieinvic, 26 October 2015 - 05:40 AM.

#21 Just Another Cat

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:51 AM

Has it really been four years?!

I still haven't bothered switching over.

#22 F.E.B.E

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:52 AM

An issue I have is that the forum navigation bar is too close to the menus above it (at top of screen).  When using a touch screen half the time I hit the menu instead of being able to quickly navigate back to where I want to go, it's very frustrating.

Thanks Andieinvic. What device are you using?

Thanks,
Amber

#23 andieinvic

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Thanks Andieinvic. What device are you using?

I phone and Ipad.

cheers
Andie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.