Gender - Will you or won't you?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 jayz~mel

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

So who will be finding out and who is keeping it a secret?

We kept DS1 a secret, but found out with DS2. I think OH would like to keep it a secret, but I hate not knowing. It drove me nuts keeping our first a surprise. I like being able to decide on a name and start using it when talking to my belly. I'd also like to know if I need to put away all the blues and finally buy some pink things lol.

#2 Trace91

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

DH and I have already agreed we want to find out! First bub and I am so crap at waiting for surprises lol

#3 Runner5

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

We found out with our first - and quite early, at 15 weeks. I think I'd like a surprise this time :) but even if it's a girl I suspect she'll be wearing lots of her brothers clothes!!!

#4 123Babies4Me

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

I found out with DS and DD1, but not with DD2. I loved the surprise! (especially since I thought she was a boy the whole pregnancy!) so I think I'll do it again. However it is definitely helpful to know when it comes to choosing names!!

#5 Guest_@MrsJ_*

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

We are undecided. I'd love to know but would then just worry they got it wrong lol. Hubs would like a surprise but will understand if I feel like I need to know. I think it will help me connect with bubs. But yeah, just worried about them getting it wrong.

If we found out we wouldn't share with anyone.

#6 WaitingForBabies

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

DH and I have changed views. We have now somehow swapped to me wanting to know and he doesn't. I like the thought of a surprise but I feel I would be more comfortable nesting and setting up for bubs once I know.

#7 mummytomyboys

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:07 PM

I've got three boys so no I don't need to .. Lol and no I don't want a girl

#8 kc84

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

I think we will find out, we haven't actually discussed it (actually still processing that we are pregnant).

With our daughter we found out at the 20wks scan, it was pretty obvious on the scan, we actually asked the lady to confirm what we saw... very clear three lines :)... It was nice to know as we had a girl name so we started to talk to her with her name, and we could get organised with her room, and clothes etc... we did get them to reconfirm every other scan we had, as hubby's cousin had one of the cases where was told she was having a girl and out came a boy..

#9 nicklou86

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:33 AM

I am pretty sure we will be finding out!! we both want to know!!  but trying not to get that far ahead as i havent yet had bloods confirmed nor a dating scan...

#10 OrganisedChaos

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

Pretty sure we will be finding out and I don't think I'll keep it a secret.  I know there is a very small chance they could get it wrong and I will always have that in the back of my mind, so won't be upset at the birth if it's different but the scans are pretty good these days and I say why not.

#11 BlackButterfly

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

We're finding out, but I want to know now! I'm desperate to start buying cute clothes and to start decorating the nursery. There's no way I could wait until the birth.

#12 PaperCats

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

We won't find out. I'm a fan of unisex clothes and decorations.

#13 Mothers Groupie

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

We will have a surprise again too- it really is the greatest!

#14 mummytomyboys

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

I was on a mums page on fb and they said how you can tell gender by skull shape I won't say which is which but now I'm gutted I feel like I won't be able to look at my scans now as I'll know :(

#15 jayz~mel

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

How could they tell that? My boys skulls looked completely different...

#16 kerilyntaryn

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:00 AM

I never found out and it was so wonderful at birth such a special time

I also like to know for sure 100 %, I've known so many people that have had 4 or so u/s and they were surprised at birth with the other gender and their baby boy had only pink stuff and vice versa,  even a grandma looking for her grandson and it was a granddaughter

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 24 July 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#17 BlackButterfly

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:23 AM

I'm having NIPT done in three weeks and it will be able to tell me the gender. I can't wait to find out!

#18 jayz~mel

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

How far will you be BlackButterfly?

#19 tess840

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

How exciting black butterfly! I will be finding out too! I found out with DD and don't regret it! It's surprise enough for me seeing Bub for the first time 😀

#20 WaitingForBabies

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

The NIPT can be done at 10weeks. It is a blood test that they send to the U.S. And checks for certain abnormalities (not 100% if it's more then the 3 tristomies that can occur). The test is $500

#21 Tiish

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:14 AM

I will be doing NIPT in early Sept - so I will be able to find out then. (I was told you need to be at least 10w2d and results take 5 days).

With DS I found out early also (CVS).  I was always 100% going to find out and could not understand how anyone would not want to know.  Thiis time around I  am not so sure.  I think I will cave and find out but at the moment I am torn.

Edited by Tiish, 24 July 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#22 WaitingForBabies

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

I was debating about doing the NIPT but from what I can see it only checks for the 3 tristomy abnormalities. I thought I may as well just do the trans nulcal (sp?) test and see if there is anything if concern from that.

#23 motherofRylee

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:13 PM

I will find out. There is no way I couldn't. We don't tell anyone though. Just keep to ourselves. Any one else really wanting the opposite sex of what they already have. I have a son and I would love a daughter but for reason I bet it's a boy. Like I just have this feeling. Not that it matters but I know I won't be going back for another child. So long as it's healthy Is the main thing but I would love a lil girl. Does that sound strange/stupid silly ???

#24 jayz~mel

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

What is NIPT?

#25 BlackButterfly

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

NIPT is non invasive prenatal testing. It's basically a blood test you have have done with looks at the fetal blood cells within the mothers blood and can screen for a range of genetic abnormalties (mainly down syndrome and the other trisomy conditions).

Because it looks and the fetus' genes it can also show whether it is a boy or a girl.

It goes by a few different names like the Harmony or Panorama test and there's a range of places to get it done, but most are in the US.

I'm getting it done locally through the Victorian Clinical Genetic Srvices (VCGS) in melbourne. Their test is called Percept and it costs about $450, not covered by medicare or insurance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.