Dress dilemma

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

So I've found a dress I love.  But it's not stocked anywhere here in Australia, and I've not seen anything even remotely similar to try on.  I can't get it shipped directly from the states (apparently the designer won't allow stores to do that?), but there's a store in Sydney that can order it in and then ship to me in Melbourne.

The problem is, to get it shipped to me I have to pay for the dress upfront, no exchanges if I get it and don't like it, or it doesn't suit me.  I could get a replica made (there's a few floating around on eBay and the likes) but if I do that, it's still a few hundred $ and I really can't afford to risk it in case the dress is awful quality when it gets here.

There's a couple of second hand ones I've seen but they're in teeny tiny sizes.

I have another dress to where, but it just doesn't feel like 'the' dress.  I wish Aus stocked more in the way of shorter dresses.

#2 TinCat๐Ÿฑ

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

I think we need to see the dress ;)

#3 Apageintime

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:20 PM

What about taking the picture to a reputable local dressmaker? Then you know the quality is good at least,  and can have adjustments made so it will suit you

#4 Ice Queen

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

Could you use a shipment company to purchase it in the US for you and send it on?  So the designer "thinks" it is being purchased in the US?  To return it you could go back through the shipping company and lose a few $$ on postage and exchange.

#5 littleboysmum

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

Yes, I'm curious! Can we see the dress please?

#6 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

It's from a few years ago apparently, this one here:
http://www.moonlight...uct/Tango/T446/

We're doing something very, very simple, because of that I thought I didn't want a wedding dress.  I'd feel stupid in anything too elaborate, so I bought a dress that I like (not white).

Sounds silly, but I'm worried about not feeling special or like a bride on the day, so I thought something like the one in the link would be perfect in that it's pretty and bridal feeling, without being an OTT wedding dress.

#7 lazycritter

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:25 PM

A dressmaker could whip that up easily... How many months until your wedding?

The dress is gorgeous by the way ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Edited by Lazycritter HRH, 31 May 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#8 Mooples

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

Are any of the second hand ones near enough that you could go and see the quality? You might not be able to try it on if it's not the right size but you could hold it up and see if it suits you. It's a lovely dress.

#9 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

The only second hand ones I've found have been size 4's.  There's a size 10 listed on another site, but they want a lot more for it than I want to pay!

How do I go about knowing if a dressmaker is good or not?  And how long would they need to make it?  Wedding's not until November, but I am working on losing a chunk of weight between now and then.

#10 Prickly

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

http://www.bestbrida...6-p65634?ref=c0

#11 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:37 PM

Otherwise, this is the dress I have to wear, our colours are yellow and grey
http://www.foreverne...-dress-21987707

I love the dress and it's so pretty, but like I said, I just don't know if it'll feel like I'm getting married.  Plus I'm not usually a full length dress person so don't want to feel awkward on the day.

I'm probably overthinking the whole thing.

#12 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

View PostPrickly, on 31 May 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

I did see that, but it's still $700 shipped, which I'm too scared to spend in case it doesn't fit or looks stupid on me.

#13 Mooples

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

Your original yellow dress is gorgeous however I agree with you, the new white dress will make you feel like a bride.

#14 HRH Countrymel

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

A local dressmaker would be able to make something like that for you.

You would be able to see and touch and chose your fabric (which is where the internet 'bargain' dresses tend to let you down) and get fitted exactly.

I remember running out of time to make a formal dress for myself and taking my fabric and the two different patterns I was going to use (I liked the top half of one and the skirt of another) to the local dry cleaners and asking the person who did their repairs if they could make it for me.

Perfect.

And it cost me less than $100!

#15 HRH Countrymel

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostGreen Gummy Bear, on 31 May 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Otherwise, this is the dress I have to wear, our colours are yellow and grey
http://www.foreverne...-dress-21987707

I love the dress and it's so pretty, but like I said, I just don't know if it'll feel like I'm getting married.  Plus I'm not usually a full length dress person so don't want to feel awkward on the day.

I'm probably overthinking the whole thing.

Gummy Bear?

That is an exquisite dress.

Look no further!

You will most certainly look like a bride.

That is a lovely, lovely, lovely dress.

#16 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostHRH Countrymel, on 31 May 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

Gummy Bear?

That is an exquisite dress.

Look no further!

You will most certainly look like a bride.

That is a lovely, lovely, lovely dress.

Thank you :)

Now to sort out shoes...

#17 tothebeach

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

View PostGreen Gummy Bear, on 31 May 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

I did see that, but it's still $700 shipped, which I'm too scared to spend in case it doesn't fit or looks stupid on me.
It's not $700 shipped.  It's around $450 (though US exchange rate is going up and down).   International shipping is free today.  BTW, it's a great dress, as is your other one.

Edited by tothebeach, 31 May 2015 - 05:56 PM.

#18 lazycritter

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

Look at the dressmaker's reviews. I know a couple if you're prepared to travel to Geelong.

They have both either made dresses for the brownlow or logies ( not for the most famous) but attendees nonetheless.

One of them has made a few dresses like the one you want.

Also I don't think you should compromise; if you don't want a long dress don't have a long dress. You don't want to look back with regrets.  Ballerina style dresses look awesome in photos and you get to actually see the shoes and how good they make your legs look.  
๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Edited by Lazycritter HRH, 31 May 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#19 lazycritter

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:59 PM

The good thing about a dressmaker is that they fit it right up until the week of the wedding. If you buy a dress from overseas,  you'll probably need to get it fitted by a dressmaker anyway

#20 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

I'm happy to travel to Geelong, if it's within my budget for the dress.

I think I'll sit on it for a couple of months and see how I go, although not sure how long these things take to make or when I need to make a final decision by.

#21 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

View Posttothebeach, on 31 May 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

It's not $700 shipped.  It's around $450 (though US exchange rate is going up and down).   International shipping is free today.  BTW, it's a great dress, as is your other one.

I didn't see the shipping thing, though I can't afford the dress today anyway (It was $505 AUD when I added it to the cart).

#22 bandbub

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

Go into some bridal stores and try on a similar version of it and hunt down a dress maker

#23 HolleyShiftwell

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:14 PM

Very pretty x

#24 FeralAndIKnowIt

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

I know a great dressmaker if you were happy to travel up to Echuca. PM me if you want her details.

#25 niggles

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

I love that short dress. Any short wedding dress actually. Very Audrey in Happy Face. Iwould also use a dressmaker. Then you can choose your own lace and it will be just what you like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.