About Lorna Jane?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#51 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

DD#2, age 15, is a dancer. She has a few things that are Lorna Jane. It's popular among the teenage dancers she mixes with. The bits she has were bought on sale and partly with her money.
Most of her dance gear is Blockout, which is also expensive IMO but less so than LJ.

#52 Tuiat

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

my understanding is that Lorna Jane is a bit like Abercrombie & Fitch, they don't want 'old, fat people' wearing their clothes and shoo them out of the stores before anybody sees them and ruins the brand.

I don't shop there because of their reputation.

#53 Paddlepop

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:42 PM

View PostTuiat, on 16 February 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

my understanding is that Lorna Jane is a bit like Abercrombie & Fitch, they don't want 'old, fat people' wearing their clothes and shoo them out of the stores before anybody sees them and ruins the brand.
I may have to drag my 35yo fat self into one of their shops on the weekend and see what happens... Hang on, do they have cellulite detectors on the doors? Crap, I'd set them off and not even get in the shop.

#54 wilding

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

I don't have a problem with them, the times I have been to mine the ladies have been great. I tend to swing towards abi and joseph though.

#55 Leha

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:02 PM

I love lorna jane and most of my gym clothes are from there. I am very flat chested and have to wear padding or I have a man chest so I love the crop tops.

I agree its expensive but comparable to alot of other brands like Nike, running bare etc but I think its nicer. I also like that the tights suck in my post baby body bits and give alot of support. I have clothes I bought from there years ago that I still wear.

I have always had good service there but am a size 10 and didn't realise that they didn't stock much in the larger sizes.

I find it strange that they would ignore the larger sizes and a bit chunk of the market just to "maintain an image".

#56 ~Peachy keen~

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:43 PM

Not much! I'm not paying $$$ for clothing I'm just going to sweat into and roll around on a dirty gym floor.

I'll happily spend money on quality clothing tho. LJ an LLLm just didn't seem that special or deserving of their price. All a bit *yawn* really.
Now that I've read a bit about the company and their philosophy I'm glad I didn't part with my money.

#57 Taradiddle

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:03 PM

I had no idea about these brands until I did some pt at a gym a couple of years ago.

I did need to get some tops for working out, and noticed all the girls at the gym wearing the same branded stuff, which was Lorna jane.  Their shop had just opened up recently so I went and got a top from there.

The top has got to be the scratchiest, unbreathable thing I own.  Hate it!  But it's only one top so small sample size.  The girls in the shop weren't helpful but weren't rude either.

I accidentally bought a lululemon top from trade secret for ten bucks. I thought it was a junk brand, had no idea about the company.  It is the best most comfortable workout top I own and has lasted many washes.  Flattering too.  Again, small sample.

Bottoms, I just have target, never seem to go wrong there!

I recall reading some negatives about lulu lemons ethics too, generally I try to keep my purchases ethical but I still get swayed sometimes.

#58 LilyM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:16 PM

I'm another who shops there frequently.

All of my gym gear is from LJ or Lululemon.

I find the quality of LJ clothing to be very good aswell. I like the cut of their crop pants. The quality is very good even after many years of use. I think it's worth the extra $$ when I still wear the same pants that I bought 5 years ago and they are in the same condition as the day I bought them.

Some of the other brands become transparent quickly which is why I only wear LJ pants...Nothing worse that standing behind someone at the gym whose pants have become transparent & they don't realise it!

#59 Bluemakede

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

I have a few things from there, but I don't really like them much, and the prices are just ridiculous. I have boobs so the tops don't fit me, even when I was slimmer and more fit than I am now.

I much prefer nike for gym clothes, and some of the cheaper fitness brands. Nike have the comfiest gym pants ever, and I can get the tops over my boobs.

#60 Lunagirl

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

Hi OP. Choice released the results of tests on gym gear today, including Lorna Jane:
http://www.choice.co...-expensive.aspx

Other brands trialled were Lululemon, Cotton On, Nike, Adidas, Kmart and Michelle Bridges. The article examined whether it is worth buying the more expensive brands. It's an interesting read. The one thing they didn't test for was fit, because that's very individual and something you can decide for yourself in the change room.

Edited by Lunagirl, 16 February 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#61 littlepickle

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

My 12 year old is 165 cm tall and would weigh maybe 42kg - really long legs, no hips yet and a really small bum - she fits their leggings XXS and they are a firm fit. That says it all really.............. Thank god she uses her own money to buy them.

#62 MarciaB

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:39 AM

View Postcinnabubble, on 16 February 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

I always think of it as the drop-off wear of choice for the real housewives of Castle Hill.

I walk the Bay Run 6 days a week ( Sydney's inner west) and I swear 75% of females are wearing LJ, except me, I prefer my Costco Cheapy workout gear. So unless those Castle Hill housewives are driving a long way every day I reckon LJ has quite a big reach!

#63 lozoodle

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:53 AM

To be honest I haven't  paid much attention after looking at things in passing and seeing the price tag and thinking **** that!

I love my bonds leggings and gym gear, I just buy them when they are on sale :)

#64 cinnabubble

I used to walk the Bay Run in jeans. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

#65 ~Mo+Moosh~

The vast majority of people at my gym wear either LJ or Lululemon.

I have tights from 10 years ago that are still in great condition. Their core stability tights are also great.

I also have a number of their excel tops that I wear running and they are wearing well.

I agree that the cotton tshirts and motivational messages are rubbish.

I also once complained about the service I received in store and they really did make an effort to ensure my next experience was a positive one.

#66 MarciaB

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

View Postcinnabubble, on 17 February 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

I used to walk the Bay Run in jeans. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

:) when my kids were younger the Bay was our walk to school route so there have been many combinations of "exercise" gear worn coming out of this house. DH still walks around in thongs cause he has a swim along the way. Anyway, point being there is a LOT of Lorna along that 7km, I don't think it all comes from Castle Hill

Edited by MarciaB, 17 February 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#67 livvie7586

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:11 AM

I like the 4 pieces i own (a pair of leggings, a pair of trackies, a pair of cargos and a top), they seem to wash well and fit nicely.

I found all 4 in the free clothes bins at the tip, though, so they were the perfect price.  I would never buy them brand new.

#68 Farmgal

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

I wear Nike running tops at the gym and light weight board shorts. I find I overheat in leggings and other shorts are a tad short for my 42 year old legs!

I did go I to LJ shop once, I nearly died at the price and went to Rebel and Cotton on Body instead.

Edited by Farmgal, 17 February 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#69 Schmig

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

don't wear it as I am too fat too. They don't do size 18. I buy running bare instead which in some styles goes to a 22/24. How are larger unfit people meant to get fitter if there is nothing we can buy to go to the gym in? I don't like their styles anyway tbh. but I was sad that lululemon stopped selling their larger sizes

#70 ~9YearsLater

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:15 AM

I've vowed never to buy Lorna Jane clothes. Purely because on my weekend runs every second person is wearing them and the slogans make me stabby.

#71 mumma21

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

I hate Lorna Jane.  So overpriced and size discriminatory too.
I went in there once while shopping with a cousin (I'm a fatty and cousin is slim). Just like what a pp said i was approached by the sales assistant while my cousin was in the change room,  she suggested that I may be more comfortable waiting outside because there was nothing in the store that would fit me. I was so embarrassed,  my cousin heard it all and stormed out refusing to buy anything.
Besides that rude sales chick even if I could fit in their clothes there's no way I'd spend $100 on a pair of leggings.

#72 Pinkcat1

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:42 AM

I buy their flashdance pants when they are on special (to expensive at full price) to wear to work.

They aren't the most flattering piece of clothing I own but they are comfortable and do wash and wear well.

I would never buy a top from there. I think the tops are horribly overpriced and they are nms.

#73 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

I like the pants/ leggings- I've had some for years and they're still going strong. I avoid the motivational tshirts etc.

#74 MandaMama

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:58 AM

The first time I ever walked into a LJ store (on the Sunshine Coast about 6 years ago) the thing that struck me when I was trying on Flashdance pants was that they try and get you to squeeze into the smallest size possible! I was going for size M as I'm a 10-12 and they were like "no, you'd be an XS for sure". I was incredulous and told them I'd never bought anything that small. Walked out with two pairs of the pants (2 for $100 deal) in size S so I agree their sizes are very small. I bought size Ms to wear during pregnancy though.

I also own one t-shirt in that moisture wicking fabric, one pair of leggings (they are tight!) and a pair of running shorts - all bought on sale. I refuse to pay full price.

I often walk past the LJ store at my local shopping centre and there is NEVER anyone in there!

#75 mumma_2_bubbas

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

I used to buy from Lorna Jane ALL THE TIME when I worked as a PT, but not anymore.  It's waaaaaaay to overpriced.  DH gave me an $80 LJ gift voucher for Christmas and there was bugger all I could afford with that, so got myself a decent gym bag.

These days, I usually wear leggings from either Kmart or Michelle Bridges, and get my tops from Activewear Online (a bodybuilding brand - and these are actually made to be worn in the gym).  They're a little pricer but actually made to be worn at the gym and wash really well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'He said what?': partners' worst pregnancy clangers

Women have been sharing the worst things their partners have said to them while pregnant, and trust us they're bad.

'Cafe's babycino ban makes no sense'

It's an insult to families and bad for business.

The importance of welcoming everyone into your 'mum tribe'

"Not everyone has the luxury of a village." 

How to have a healthy vegetarian pregnancy

Q: Is it possible to have a healthy vegetarian or vegan pregnancy?

The 200 most popular baby names of 2017

Here are the most searched names so far this year.

Dirt is good for children, study confirms

Great news for grubby kids.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.