Positive Birth Story (Sept 14 DIG)

20 replies to this topic

#1 Perpetual Sound

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Ok ladies - here it is as requested - I think I wrote this about a month after Henry was born.

Henry Alan’s birth story – born 17/06/2012

I woke up at 4am with surges on the 16th June and had a feeling that it was THE day. By 12pm I had lost the plug so we knew that it was definitely on. We went for coffee and did a few things around the house during the day before heading to Cairns at 5pm. By then my surges were about 3 mins apart but we'd been listening to the relaxation all day and was travelling really well with the hypnobirthing.  On the way to Cairns, I made David stop to get me a cheeseburger from Macca’s. It was the best cheeseburger I’ve ever had.

We went into the hospital at about 7pm after spending some time continuing the relaxation at a hotel. We called the hospital to let them know what was happening and after talking to me (or rather listening to me breathe through a surge) they were pretty keen for me to come in – they were very surprised when we said that my surges were now less than 3 mins apart. It was a lovely experience just progressing at the hotel, and David was wonderful. When we arrived, the midwife checked bubs heart rate and timed some surges and then I was able to continue to labour on a fit ball in the shower. The shower was great and I really enjoyed the hot water directed on my lower back. Getting into a rhythm bouncing on the fit ball was also working for me.

At about 11pm I got into one of the baths at the hospital and that was by far the biggest mistake that I made when it came to our hypnobirthing techniques. As soon as I got in the bath my concentration was broken as I was cold and became very tense. As I am tiny, I just slipped around in the tub and was not able to get into a comfortable position. By 12am my blood pressure had dropped, I had started vomiting continuously and was exhausted. I made the decision to get out of the bath and head back to our room. After another two hours of surges and labouring on the bed over a bean bag, I was too exhausted to support my own body weight any longer and too overwhelmed to be able to go back into the relaxation so I requested an epidural. Although not part of my plan, my ultimate goal was to bring my baby into the world calmly. An epidural meant that I could rest and refocus on having that calm and empowering birth.

At 3am I received the epidural. I had a surge just as the Anaesthetist was putting the needle in, and then I felt David falling away. He fainted and hit his head on the wall behind him on the way down!! The midwives took over so I wouldn’t fall off the bed while they were finishing putting in the epi, and they sent David to the ED to have his head looked at (overkill!!).

The Epi now in, I was instantly able to feel my baby moving and I was able to reconnect and continue with the hypnobirthing affirmations and visualisations. I didn’t get any sleep but I felt clear again and strong for making the decision that I had, and was able to focus and get excited about meeting my baby. At 7.30 am I was told that I was fully dilated and that it was time to birth my baby. Hooray!! I was so excited and despite being absolutely exhausted, I had a massive surge of energy and was alert and ready!

I birthed for 1.5hrs and was given a mirror to watch as he emerged. I could feel his every movement as I continued with the affirmations. I was able to breathe him out at the end and Henry Alan was born at 9.58am on the 17th June. His eyes were open as soon as his head was born, and I received him myself a moment later. One of the most amazing and special moments was being the person to lift him up onto my chest and tell the world that we have a little boy. No one gave him to me, and I got to introduce him everyone. It was this single moment that stays with me as the most precious of Henry's birth, and made not finding out the sex before hand completely worth the wait.

We were both calm and Henry was immediately looking around as he was cuddled on my chest, and was feeding within half an hour - crawling, head bobbing and all :) My own recovery was extremely fast - I had no tears/stitches, and the placenta was birthed whole (without the injection - yaye!). My body returned back to its original state within 10 days, and breastfeeding has been wonderful with no real issues.

Henry is a very strong little boy - he was able to hold his head and smile socially at David and I within his first week, and stand on my lap with just his arms supported by week 3. I think it was all that working out he did on my ribs! This week he has discovered our sausage dog Frankie, who is now also receiving smiles :) I laboured for a total of 30hrs and for 21hrs was able to successfully use hypnobirthing techniques to breathe through surges and stay relaxed and clear. It also allowed me to make a clear informed decision about how my labour experience would proceed when pain/exhaustion were starting to take control of me. I was able to have the calm happy birth that I had envisioned, using hypnobirthing techniques as well as a bit of help from modern medicine - but more importantly; I felt loved, safe, supported, and in turn empowered throughout the whole experience.

Edited by Perpetual Sound, 16 July 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#2 Zebidee

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for sharing!

#3 Akadia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

Yay Perpetual that's wonderful :heart:

#4 Perpetual Sound

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

No worries - please September ladies with positive birth stories, post yours here too.

As I said in the main DIG thread, I never felt like I could tell my story and I found it very isolating. Its important though (especially for first time mums), to hear positive stories to counter all of those horror stories that everyone is so willing to share with you while you're expecting.

I figure there's not much you can control when it comes to labour, but you can control your own fear. Hearing positive stories helped me, and I'm sure like most, horror stories did not help me... the worst story being my own birth - which my mum has been more than happy to share with me every year on my birthday :(

#5 Fairey

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

http://www.essential...a#entry15108228

#6 Perpetual Sound

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

Great story fairey :)

Do you have to do that drive again this time round?

#7 Zebidee

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Far out Fairey, I thought my 40 minute drive in labour was long! Did you have the option of staying at the first hospital or did you have no choice?

I often wonder if people tell their horror stories as a form of healing, rather than to intentionally upset people? I know I've told my traumatic story a thousand times to people (generally only when I'm asked, I don't think I've ever come out and randomly told it). I find that people are asking me a lot more about it now I'm pregnant and I no longer cry when I talk about it, so maybe it's helping? I know that I've told my story to pregnant women expecting their first babies, but again, only because they've asked and appeared genuinely interested. Personally  I find my story of pnd more traumatising than the birth.

#8 Musefan2010

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

Perpetual, that was beautiful :-)
You've made a sappy, hormonal pregnant woman cry!
It's so nice to read about such a positive experience.

#9 Musefan2010

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Fairey - I just read your birth story too.
Wow!!!
Sounds intense, but also really special :-)
Are u still that distance from a hospital? What is your plan for this labour?

#10 Perpetual Sound

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Zeb - I'm sure people do tell it as a form of healing - I know my friends cerainly do which is why I never felt I could tell my positive story - I tell Henry's reflux story for the same healing reason.

I think its different though if a pregnant woman asks for your story rather than it just being told. The issue that I had was people telling me their horror stories without me asking for them - and unfortunately the horror stories outweighed the number of positive stories that were told.

I really hope that you get your positive story this time - antenatally, during labour, birthing, and postnatally.

#11 berrysparkles

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for sharing girls, it's good to hear some positive stories!

Fairey I was scared for you that you weren't going to make it to the hospital! Kind of glad that i'm only 10 minutes away, if we have to go there, get sent home then go back again at least it's not too much of a worry :)

#12 Fairey

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

Hi everyone :)

Yep, have to deliver that far away again - the local hospital is quite strict on who delivers there. Because I'm a bit of a big Mumma (more of me to love ;) ) my BMI cuts me out of this hospital. Fun and games.

Last time I was planning on going to Adelaide on the Friday and staying down there (at 39+1). My waters broke the Wednesday night, so there went that plan. This time I'm planning on going down at 38+5 - hopefully this bubba stays in that long! If not I will be jumping up and down like a mad woman to be flown down. I'm a tad worried that if we drive we WILL be having a baby road side!
(Local hospital did actually have to hold a board meeting about our case because I wasn't given a CTG, or an internal nor did I actually see a doctor before being told to just drive down cos I'd "be fine".)

This may sound a tad nuts... But I really loved labour. Yes - it hurt. I didn't love it so much at the time. But oh my goodness, the overwhelming feeling of woman power! Knowing that I did it, DH could never have done it and it was up to me to get the job done. Phwoar! Powerful stuff!

I also read an article when I was preggers with DD that said that women who fear labour are statistically in labour for an hour longer. No fear :)

And seriously - you really do forget how much it hurt :)

Perpetual - your story is ah-amazing! Awesome experience!!

#13 cinnamum

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hi there girls, been reading when I get the chance but never really posted in here. Perpetual and Fairey, thanks for sharing your amazing birth stories...

Since the thread is about positive birth stories, here’s mine. Wrote it a couple of years ago. DS1 and DS2 are our IVF miracles who came about after 8 years of trying; DS3 due in September 2014 is a complete and welcome surprise.

Here’s my story:

It started on Saturday night, contractions were about 15-20 minutes apart, and I put them down to Braxton Hicks which I’d been having on and off for a few days. We were playing cards with Mum and Dad and along with our scores, I noted the time of the contractions and they seemed quite irregular. Caught up in the game, I didn’t pay much attention to them. We finished playing at about 12 pm and they were still on but irregular.

Pottering around the house at about 2 am (not sure what I was doing), I noticed they were still on and showed no signs of subsiding. For some reason I thought of my friend’s pre-labour and put it down to that, but called the hospital just in case. They said to take two Panadols and have a warm shower and if it was false labour it would disappear. So I did just that – a shower and shave, so that I could look decent. Mum also suggested that it would be a good time to pack my bags, something I was procrastinating about, so I got DH to get all our stuff together at about 2 am and he packed our bags.

By this time the contractions hadn’t disappeared, but like I told the hospital I wasn’t in agony, they were quite bearable. By then, I was too tired to bother with calling them again and even going in so decided to catch forty winks. I slept, a little restless but sleep nonetheless and woke up to contractions that were five minutes apart and extremely painful. I cant figure how I slept through the pain, must have just been very tired.

I also had a show, and then was debating whether to go in to the hospital or have my baby at home. Decided that I didn’t want to scare the daylights out of DS1 or have Mum see me in pain, so I called the hospital and they said to come in right away. Bear in mind that the midwife had been warning me for the past three weeks that baby was really low and not to delay going to the hospital if I felt things were happening.

I got DH to have a shower in between squeezing his hand when there was a contraction, just so he’d look good in the photographs. Again, I have no idea what I was thinking. In retrospect I was probably in denial, the thought that my baby would arrive on his due date was firmly planted, I wasn’t that big and ‘over’ the pregnancy, was enjoying all the kicks and thumps and as much as I was curious to see what my baby looked like, was happy if he decided to stay in until his due date.  The midwife had said that baby was ready a long time ago, he was just waiting for me to decide that I was kind of ready. And right enough, as soon as I had the last major item ticked off my checklist (car seat installed), everything started.

Anyhow, DH showered and looked decent enough and while Mun and Dad distracted lil DS1, we left for the hospital. The contractions were pretty intense during the ride, yet as DH’s normal speed is usually 5k (not smart I know) over the limit, I told him to drive slowly in between squeezing one hand and telling him that I definitely didn’t want any more babies.

We reached the hospital at 7:30 am and were shown to a room. I was offered pethidine or an epidural which I declined. Fetal monitoring showed that my baby was fine, and an internal showed that I was 8 cms dilated. That was what I was hoping for, and it was good to hear that baby would be there in an hour or so.

The contractions were now 3 minutes apart, and it was sheer agony. I don’t know how the next hour went, all I remember is being in a lot of pain, vocalizing a lot, squeezing DH’s hand, begging for any relief (it was too late by then), telling the midwives all I wanted was a little break or a chance to sleep forever and in between being irritated that DH had chosen to wear hot pink shorts in the shower with me. What was he thinking!! Also was a little cross that Felicity (Donna our usual midwife wasn’t on duty that weekend) disappeared whenever I asked for pain relief, and that Felicity who has a lovely soft gentle manner kept telling me I could do it without pain relief. Easy for you to say I thought, you are not the one in pain. One cant really see the world with rose tinted glasses in labour. Added to the was the fact that DH kept calling Felicity “Facility” and much as I wanted to kick him, I couldn’t summon the energy to do so. The bath was broken apparently so my plan of a water birth changed to a shower birth, but I must say the shower did provide a measure of relief as did the cold towels.

Suddenly felt the familiar urge to push, and changed from a chair under the shower to a bath mat on the floor. I tried lying on my side with my head in DH’s lap and pushed for a while, till the Felicity suggested I go on all fours. It wast long before I could feel baby descending. Funnily enough My baby chose this moment to get hiccups, and I could feel little hiccups moving downwards. That was very reassuring in a way. My waters broke at his stage with a loud pop and as they were lightly meconium stained, we’d have to go back on fetal monitoring if my baby didn’t come in the next few pushes. Pushed even harder and soon I could feel baby crowning. Felicity helped me control the pushing and DH was an excellent labour coach too. In a few minutes out came baby and we had our precious little man in our arms!! DH was in tears and so was I, such sweet relief to hold this much loved and much wanted boy.

Baby’s Apgars were 9 and 10, he weighed 3.330 kgs (7.3 pounDS1), length, 49.5 cms and HC 34.5 cms. A bit bigger than DS1, which was surprising considering I was smaller with him than I was with DS1.

DS2 cried lustily for a bit, his eyes tightly shut, so different from  DS1 who was content to look around for a while. The whole birth experience was so different and so wonderful when I look back to what happened with DS1. Labour was short, but so much more bearable than with DS1, no drugs needed at all, there were no doctors in the room, there was just DH, me and Felicity in a dark quiet shower when baby arrived. I tore very slightly and even though baby was bigger I didn’t need an episiotomy or a vacuum extraction as I did the first time round. I could control the pushes so much better and could actually hold baby where he was until the next contractions. With DS1 the epidural numbed all sensation and I was pushing blindly and not very effectively. I’ve healed so much faster and felt so good on the day baby arrived, baby was on my chest all day. No one came to weigh or measure him till that evening, and that was the most beautiful sensation ever. Such a lovely soft newborn baby with that incredibly wonderful newborn smell. I could have stayed like that forever, just my baby and me.

DS2 fed beautifully too, forty minutes on one side after he was born. He has been a demanding feeder, sometimes feeding hourly for a few hours each day. I don’t mind because it is so precious to feel that I can nourish my baby. He is a content happy baby except between 12 pm and 3 am each night when he will not sleep and has his unsettled time, which I’m hoping is a phase. On the whole he sleeps much better than DS1. I’m much more relaxed with him, maybe because he’s the second little one. I don’t watch the clock, feed on demand and he sleeps so well with little DS1 yelling and the whole house in chaos around him.

I love the newborn smell, the tiny fingers, the little grunts and the windy smiles and know now to appreciate them as this time flies so fast. It is hard to believe that DS1 was ever this small….

#14 Musefan2010

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

That's wonderful cinnamum, I'm really enjoying all these positive birth stories!

#15 cinnamum

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Thanks musefan2010... well done in getting through that long birth story! :smile:

#16 berrysparkles

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Loved your story cinnamum ! Hopefully you have another positive birth for DS3. The bit about your DH mispronouncing the midwife's name made me lol . :)

#17 Perpetual Sound

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

Great story cinnamum! :D Yes - Facility - hehehehehe!!

#18 Akadia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

I've just read your birth stories Fairey and Cinnamum - they are both wonderful and you did so well :)

Zebidee - I agree with Perpetual I don't think people say these things to shock but to heal, I just find it a real shame that people that have positive birth stories feel they are unable to tell them - its lovely to hear them here.

I will definitely post my birth story - good or otherwise.

#19 cinnamum

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Perpetual Sound, Berrysparkles and Akadia, thinking of the hot pink shorts and "Facility" still makes me laugh. That said, the whole experience was a beautiful one :)

#20 Fairey

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

Oh, cinnamum!! What a fabulous birth story :) thank you so much for sharing that with us. It sounds like the perfect birth :)

#21 cinnamum

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Fairey! In retrospect, it was surreal, hilarious and a bit magical. Though that's probably not what I would have called it in the middle of labour ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.