Due in September 2014 Chat Thread #7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

#26 Akadia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Twilight - good to hear from you and glad you are on the mend. Would have been lovely to see your little girl and good luck with the GTT results this week - I get mine tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my little boy is head down as he's been hiccuping a lot lately and its in the bottom left :)

I think its definitely restless legs - luckily doesn't happen every night but most nights it does. Wouldn't be surprised if I am lower in iron - always been a bit that way.

Iliketoflounce - congratulations on your little boy and lovely name! We've named our little boy too - Brandon.

#27 elemeno

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

View PostKaylzzz, on 07 July 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

I thought the 3rd trimester started at 28 weeks!
Sorry wasn't clear, I hit it LAST Thursday :)

#28 Akadia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

Have any of you packed your hospital bag yet - I haven't and I'm going to Costco on the weekend too :) so was wondering what you should pack and what not to worry about?

#29 Perpetual Sound

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Akida - I havent packed yet and I probably wont until I'm in labour but I have started gathering things to pack and I've made a list based on a 5 day hospital stay. So if it helps, here's my list...

For me

maternity pads (if not hospital supplied)
10x black undies
10x pairs washable breast pads
2x nursing bras
5x singlets
3x pants
dressing gown
3x pairs socks
hair brush
hair ties
toothbrush/paste
ural
lip balm
mobile charger
camera/charger

For baby

nappies and wipes (if not hospital supplied)
2x swaddle bags
3x wraps
5x singlets
5x coverall onsies

#30 twilightangel

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

I pulled my bag out today and started packing it. So far it only contains maternity pads, some black knickers and toiletries such as hair ties, a comb and lanolish. Still have plenty I need to add but these were things I already had in the house :)

#31 Akadia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks girls re the maternity bag. So far I only have one maternity bra lol
Got my GTT results last night - no GD :excite:

OB also said bubs is growing well and plenty of amniotic fluid so all good!

#32 Princesspeachzz

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Super results Akadia! I had a similar call from my OB on Monday too. Jump for joy happiness ensued too.

Re maternity bag, I've tried to start, but just can't seem to get my head around it. A touch too much of reality that this baby really is coming and a bit of 'I don't want to push my luck with karma'. I know the hospital will give me more admission details (I guess including what they supply etc) 4 weeks before my due date, but I'd really like it now so I can plan better. 4 weeks seems rather late.

#33 Perpetual Sound

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Princess, if you plan for the above you should be fine. You will need pads and nappies regardless of if they're hospital supplied so they can be added or subtracted from your bag if needed :)

I packed WAAAY too much last time - this time its essentials only and anything else i can send DP to get if i need whatever it is.

Other things that you might want to take is a birth plan and some music if you  want them for labour. I took both last time but this time im not going to bother.

#34 Possum88

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

It stresses me out a bit to see you all starting to think about packing your hospital bag when I haven't even bought furniture yet.
So far all I have is a glider chair and an empty chest of drawers lol. I hit 30 weeks yesterday but we have had so many set backs when it comes to the baby stuff.

DP and I have 2 investment units and in the last 2 months we have had the hot water system die in one, the plumbing in the same one need repairing and the oven break in the other. all were not cheap to fix and its put a massive dent in our savings so baby shopping is on a very strict budget!

My MS has returned in the evenings and the bump is really starting to slow me down. 7 weeks of work to go and although im sad to be leaving I cant wait for the 3 weeks before bub comes to sleep and rest I feel like a walking zombie most days.

Also when it comes to washing bubs clothes in prep can I wash them in normal washing powder that I use for DP and I? a friend of mine said no and to use the liquid cuddly but I have and old washing machine (something else that needs replacing) and can only use powder detergents?

#35 yoonseon

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hey everyone! I haven't been here for a while! I'm yet to go back and update myself on what you've all been up to! Can't believe we only have a couple of months to go!

AFM, we've been OK. Had a bit of a scare a few weeks ago as I didn't feel bub moving much for a couple of days. Got DH to drive me to the hospital at 11pm one night because I was just panicking, even though he was like "you're just overreacting" which really annoyed me. Turns out, though, everything is/was fine and they weren't sure why I couldn't feel all of his movements. Things have been fine since then.

My cousin organised me the most beautiful family baby shower this past weekend. Felt very special.

As for hospital bags... umm... we haven't even cleared out our rooms yet. LOL. Been procrastinating SOOOOOO much.

Hope you're all doing OK!

#36 twilightangel

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Akadia - Yay to the good results in regards to the GTT and so pleased that bubs is growing well and happy in there :)

Princesspeachzz - Yes I have struggled with packing a hospital bag with a previous child. It is a huge reality check in regards to what is about to happen. I would still start packing some basic items such as underwear, maternity pads etc and then when you get the list from the hospital remove items that you no longer need.

Perpectual Sound - I also only pack essentials and then get hubby to bring in things I really need. My friends bag looked like she was planning on staying 2 or 3 weeks :)

Possum88 - I am sorry to hear about the money issues with the investment properties. Must be stressful. I wash my babies clothes in the same detergent that I use for everyone else. With my previous washing machine it was always OMO sensitive washing powder as myself and one of my kids breaks out in a rash when washing in scented products. My new washing machine prefers liquid according to the manual so I again use sensitive washing liquid but I use the Aldi brand.

Yoonseon - I know, it's rather scary how quickly we are reaching the top of the due in lists. I am so relieved to hear that baby is ok and moving around again. It's so terrifying when you realise all of the sudden that you haven't felt them move in a while.

AFM - Had my antenatal appt today. I also passed my GTT test and surprisingly my iron levels aren't low. Heading that way but in all honesty I thought they would be next to nil like they usually are at this stage so I am very relieved and happy.

The midwife and I had a great chat about my induction and the fact one Dr has approved and one has said no so she has referred me to the head OB of the hospital to discuss it with him and as she said, only he can make the final call but whatever he decides is final so as of next week I should be able to plan for either an induction or waiting until she decides to make her entrance.

Have been referred for a size scan at 34 weeks and another at 36 weeks so looking forward to seeing my little girl again. The cheeky little thing is breech again. If she is breech at the 36 week scan then a caesarian will be booked.

#37 Fairey

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

Possum88 - with washing clothes, I washed all of DD's stuff in the same detergent I used for us (Cold Power). I decided if she had a reaction, I'd wash everything again, if not - awesome news for us. Turned out to be awesome news for us cos we can put her stuff with ours :)
I'll be doing the same for this bubba too. Totally up to you though - personal choice :)

Hospital Bags - eh. Haven't even thought about it (that's a lie... I've thought about it enough to buy a new bag just for hospital. It was an absolute need, I tell you!!). I'm thinking I'll do it around 35 weeks.

AFM. So much more tired this time. I'm thinking it has something to do with chasing an almost 2 year old this time around. And the sore back. Argh! I'm glad to be pregnant, but sheesh I'll be glad when it's over! I'm team yellow - guessing boy for me.
Growth scan tomorrow. Scan central here (this will be number 6). Lucky we get to see bubs again - makes the full bladder worth it :)

#38 Zebidee

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:50 AM

Hospital bag? My hubby  packed mine when I was in labour with our first! I did have a list of things to pack though so that was helpful. I just didn't see the point when so much of it was in daily use anyway no point packing for me. Maternity pads, breast pads and cheap undies I think I had in the suitcase before hand.

Last time I bought a ten pack of cheap granny undies that I was willing to throw out rather than wash them for the first few days of leaking. I think I only needed to throw out a couple of pairs but it was a great idea I thought so I'll do the same again. High waisted and a size ot two bigger is good in case you have a c section, nothing worse than tight low waisted undies sitting on your stitches.

I've also bought a couple of cheap thin tracky pants to wear in hospital. K Mart had them on sale for about $3 a few weeks ago. I don't want to ruin good trackies with bleeding lol!

A good roll of toilet paper so you don't have to use the cheap nasty hospital stuff on tender bits! A pen for filling in random forms. Spare camera batteries and a memory card just in case. I can't think of anything else to add to the list.

I can't say I really thought about the washing powder we used. We just washed them and yes we used washing powder not liquid. We have a particular sort of septic system so we're limited in what we can use anyway.

I can't believe I still have four more weeks of work. I get asked every day how long I have to go at work. The answer is starting to depress me a bit! Is anyone else sick of talking about themselves and the pregnancy all the time? In my job I work with new people every day and they all want to ask me about it. Which is nice and I know they are just being pleasant but bugger me I'm sick of talking about myself all the time lol! Plus I'm a chronic over-sharer and I find it hard to politely not answer.

#39 Akadia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Princess - congrats on your good GTT results! I think I'm the same re: maternity bag - its all getting too real now but I need to pull my head out of the sand and plan!

Perpetual - I'm thinking I'll overpack too but my main requirements are for us to have our good camera for those intimate first photos and music for when I'm in labour - need to find my iPod first though!

Possum - I understand where you are coming from. I put a bunch of stuff on layby mostly because we have this reno which is way more expensive than what we had budgeted for due to issues that arose during the process (we had a buffer but still..). You can get alot of stuff off gumtree, ebay and freecycle - you should check it out.  Also family and friends are happy to help out - I posted on facebook a few weeks ago for something and found it straight away!

I didn't even think about using different detergent when the baby comes - I think sometimes we can be way over the top when it comes to things like that - as long as its soft and clean should be fine!

Yoonseon - I'm glad everything turned out well for you and your little bub is active again. Just remember the last few weeks they sleep alot more so may not be as active. Its good you got it checked out though - you just never know.

That's lovely about the baby shower. I have mine in a couple of weeks so going into preparation mode - as much as I can at this stage without a kitchen!

Twilight - congrats on passing your GTT! We're doing well ladies!  Fingers crossed you get the induction you are looking for.

Fairy - I understand what you mean about tired. I used to feel tired by Friday, then Thursday and now Wednesday - only 4 weeks to go until I finish up which I'm definitely counting down day by day. Last night I went to bed at 7:30!

Zebidee - Good idea about the undies and tracksuit pants - I love Kmart - I currently have lovely pair of $12 ugg boots from there which my DH was paying me out for but is now seeing the error in his ways as my feet are snuggly warm and his are freezing lol!

AFM - been a bit dizzy last few days. OB said blood pressure is fine but need to drink more fluids so I've been going overboard. Feeling a bit better today so hopefully will be better soon. Doesn't help everyone at work is sick - stay away from me!!!

#40 yoonseon

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

I can't believe you guys are packing your bags already! We must be so disorganised! We've hardly organised bub's room/thrown lots of our junk out yet! We did, however get given a whole heap of stuff from my cousin on the weekend: bassinet, bath, little rocker thing for downstairs, a box of clothing and a few other things. Nice to know we won't have to pay for all that!

Akadia: Hope you're feeling better soon!

Any other first-timers getting a little nervous about the whole labour experience...? Because I sure am!

#41 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

I'm in denial that the labour is actually going to happen...but I am getting really anxious about what comes after.

Funny thing though, we had a sub at our fitness class on Monday night and she got us to do a long workout on our arms and then our legs...really focussing on single muscles at a time.

When we were all straining and looking like we wanted to complain about the pain, she says "So how are we liking working only one muscle for an extended period of time, ladies? Remember, the uterus is a muscle and you're going to be in a situation where it is worked for a long time with little to no breaks. How are you getting through the pain of this tonight? Think about the methods you're using here and if you might like to use them when you're in labour".

It was a real eye-opener having it explained like that. Honestly I'd never really thought about it until now, and actually being in a situation with burning muscles and being forced to think about how to manage the pain without giving up....was pretty good.

On a totally separate topic...I'm thinking about looking into hiring a Doula.
DH has hinted that he doesn't feel comfortable with being 'that involved' with labour, etc. Then I asked him if he wanted to cut the cord and he said no (which I'm 100% fine with). But now I'm starting to wonder how good of a birth partner he will be, and if he can even handle the labour.

Maybe it's just because I'm fed up with him just coming home and falling asleep on the lounge in front of the TV every day, while I cook and clean and then go to bed early (exhausted), but I'm starting to think that I might be better off without him in the birth centre.
Maybe I'm just letting hormones get the better of me :(

#42 elemeno

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

KoalaTeeTime, give your DH a kick up the a**! I cook dinner and DH cleans up after & last night h didn't even wipe down the benches. I was so annoyed as I'd already done a load of laundry and had worked all day too. He has actually been stepping up even more around the house lately but still sometimes needs reminders.

During birth Mine would rather be outside smoking a cigar no doubt but he has no choice. I offered him the option of a doula to assist us after our calm birthing classes but he said he was fine. It was reassuring to him attending the classes and seeing how he could help. It was him worrying about being helpless and seeing me in pain not being able to do anything to worry him the most

Personally I'd still quite like a doula but I don't want him to feel I don't have confidence in him. I think A doula might be the way to go if you think your husband isn't going to be much help. One less thing for you to worry about.

Yoonson, ha I haven't even started to think about packing my bag yet either. I also don't have any singlets yet for the baby :-)
We'd better get shopping hehe!

#43 yoonseon

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

KoalaTeeTime: Oh! My cousin's a doula! Let me know if you'd like to get in contact. :-) Kinda sounds like your DH doesn't have much of an idea of what to expect...  

That's also a good way of thinking about labour, I guess: as muscle pain. I never really thought of it like that... for some reason it makes it seem a little better...

Elemeno: Oh, thank God I'm not the only one. LOL. We only have clothes because we've been given them, otherwise we'd have nothing! Wow, our bub would be so deprived! LOL.

#44 Zebidee

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

I had a doula with my first. I won't lie, she was a waste of money! BUT if I could afford it I'd hire one again, I'd just choose someone else. Months later someone described her to me as "not woman centered, but very Helen-centered" as in, if this weren't going the way she thought they should she lost interest.

I chose a doula because I thought it would be good to have a back up support person for my hubby. And for the first part of my labour she was great. Just what hubby and I both needed when he needed a break. But sadly when things went to sh*t she lost interest and fell asleep in the corner.

I've got a student midwife now,  hopefully she can make it to the birth as an extra familiar face for support.

#45 Fairey

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

First timers should read Juju Sundin's book - Birth Skills. That's exactly the way she describes labour. It's a muscle working, it's a good pain because that muscle is doing its job to bring the baby into the world safely.
Also - it's good to know about the coffee plunger thought/technique. If it's good enough for Sarah Murdoch to use during labour, then it's good enough for me!

Undies - last time I bought a ten pack from Big W ($9). And definitely a size bigger. Will be doing the same again this time too.

I don't think it's unorganised to not have done anything yet. I was 32 weeks when we set up the nursery last time. We are currently in the midst of organising a big girl room for DD - which won't be finished for another 3 weeks or so. Won't be pulling out the bassinet until then :)
Gotta love the single digit countdown!

#46 Perpetual Sound

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

got black undies from Kmart today - they come in packs of 3 for $2.50.... so I got 12 pairs for $10 :)

#47 Fairey

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Awesome shopping skills, Perpetual!!

#48 gracie1978

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

I keep stealing things out of my hospital bag :ninja:
I need to zip it up and keep my mitts out of it!  
I've bought lots of big black undies as well.  Though not as cleverly as some :smile:

My nursery is also a mess, it would be so much easier to get ready for a baby if you weren't pregnant...

KTT sorry to hear about your partner, I'm sure things will get easier once the baby arrives.  

Mine is spending so much money on going out at the moment, it's really stressing me out.  I feel like I'm living with a 16 year old not a 36 year old!

Anyone else being woken up at night by Braxton Hicks?

#49 Zebidee

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

No, not getting woken up by Braxton Hicks,  just my hubby who has decided to start snoring after 40 years! Grrrrr. Just when the pregnancy insomnia is starting to kick in.

We live in a two bedroom house. Bonus of that is no nursery to prepare! Baby will sleep in our room for as long as possible (ds moved into his own room around 9 months) and then either move into ds's room or we move the dining room table into the lounge and baby gets through dining room until we start doing extensions. It sucks but life could be worse.

The only thing we need to work out is where to put the change table and drawers for baby.

#50 Akadia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Yoonseon: that's great about all the stuff you've been given! My mum went nuts on the weekend and bought me a baby monitor, a soft floor mat and a spill mat. She'd already bought a bumbo and a portacot - its been 5 years since the last grandbaby so I think she's excited LOL

Don't worry about not having organised bubs room yet - we don't have a room yet - renos finish this week so no choice but to wait!!

re the birth: You might have seen my post about how much DH needs to know about the birthing process. We've got a midwife appointment in a couple of weeks and will be going to a hospital tour. He's also been at nearly all my OB appointments (and I've had a few). I'm wondering if I'm being all too relaxed about the process - yes it will be painful, stuff can happen, but you can't predict exactly. I think as long has he knows the basics he should be fine - he's always been really practical and always stood up for me so I know he'll be there for me. The only thing is at the moment he doesn't want to be at the business end but he may change his mind later - don't mind either way.

Koala: interesting about the muscle - that's how I've always thought about it - its there to do a job, you can't change it, you need to get through it. We'll see how I feel during though!

re the Doula: I was also thinking about that and DH was supportive of that decision, however as I'm going private, I asked my OB her opinion and she said there will pretty much be a dedicated midwife anyway, so doesn't see a reason to have a Doula. As I'll have my DH and a midwife, I think I'll give it a miss.

Your DH will probably go through a few different phases as its an abstract change for him - he can't feel the baby everyday and hasn't seen the baby yet - my DH went through a weird period a couple of months back but is now a lot better. Its best to remind him what to do - I find with my DH he is more than happy to help but needs to be asked.

Perpetual: Well done on the undies. I nearly went to Kmart on the weekend but was too tired from all the other shopping I did!

Gracie: No braxton yet. my mum said she had hers at 36 weeks, my sis said she didn't get them at all so we will see.

AFM: just realised I have 5 weeks of work left, not 4 due to the extra week in July. Sucks. I'm sooo tired now, I'm over it - pregnancy itself is going really well just over work....urgh!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.