Hi all

New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 Perpetual Sound

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

Early morning gold!

Well its been an interesting weekend spending Saturday in hospital - ended up that baby couldn't wait til Monday to have the iron infusion and blood transfusion as I crashed out.

I'm glad its all done now and I should start picking up in the next couple of days when its had time to kick in.

The latest is that last night I tried to get up off the couch too quickly and I tore my scar tissue from the hernia repair I had done (for the 2nd time) 18 months ago. Now I can hardly walk and every time baby moves its like I'm being stabbed. Will also mean another surgery when all this is done. Poor DP thought I was dying or something cos I was sobbing so much - this pregnancy has me physically and mentally defeated.

I really just want to lock myself in a room, curl up into a ball,  and come out after the baby is here.

On the up side - mum is taking a week's carers leave and flying over to help me out. The week runs into the WA school holidays so she will be here for nearly 3 weeks. I cant wait - I miss my mum and she will be able to keep Henry entertained where I cant. Plus I need a mum hug.

I havent read through the other thread yet, so sorry no personals - but I hope you've all had a good weekend and are travelling along nicely! So many of us are hitting the 3rd trimester now!

#3 elemeno

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

Silver!

Perpetual sound- take care of yourself!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend...we went to a 2 day calm birthing course which was really quite lovely.
Anyone else doing anything like that?

DH and I both feel more confident about labour now. Hoping for a water birth but what will be, will be.
We start our preparing for baby classes in July so it's all happening now!

Only have a few things left to buy. What on EARTH will I do with 5 weeks maternity leave before my due date? I have today off, it's 810am and I am a bit bored already.
Any ideas?

#4 Princesspeachzz

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Go to the movies elemeno! Box set of DVD's you've been meaning to watch. Empty the freezer and restock. Sit in the sunshine and be still. Read a book. Buy every trashy magazine you can and read them all cover to cover. Take a long bath. Coffee date with friends, your mum, yourself. Nap through the midday movie. Oh man so many things! I'm worried that I won't have enough time! I'm only taking 4 weeks but am hatching a plan to reduce my days down a few weeks before that.

PS, sounds like you're having a painful time!! Hope your mum spoils you rotten :)

Akadia, really sorry to hear of your DH's grandma passing.I hope everyone is coping okay.

#5 Zebidee

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:24 AM

Elemeno, I've wanted to do a calmbirth or Hypnobirthing course  but I'm not sure I can afford it. Instead a colleague of mine is a qualified hypnotherapist and she is going to do a few sessions with me. if I feel like it helps and I want to take it further I might have to find the money from somewhere to do a course. We are having our first session next week and I'm a bit nervous about it. I'm not good at relaxing and I feel like I might get a bit self conscious being in such a vulnerable position with someone I work with if that makes sense.  

As for what are you going to do...I enjoyed doing nothing for six weeks! Actually it was only four weeks I enjoyed. The last two weeks I was really sick and developed bells palsy so I spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself.

#6 Akadia

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

Thanks all for your kind wishes. Funeral is this week - MIL seems to be coping well - DH is doing well. Will keep an eye on both of them.

Perpetual - sorry to hear you crashed and hope you are starting to feel better now you've had your infusion and transfusion. Would be nice to have your mum come and stay for a while.

Elemeno - that's great that you and DH feel good about the labour. DH and I haven't discussed as yet, I think we still sorta thought it was a while away - I'll have to check in with him shortly to see what he thinks - I'm quite comfortable at this stage.

As for what to do while I'm off - I'm planning on making heaps of baby nursery stuff - sewing sheets, cushions, etc and making a felt mobile. Hopefully that'll keep me pretty busy!

Zebidee - we also have no plans as yet for hypnobirthing classes but maybe I'll look for a good book or DVD - maybe that's something you can do too?

AFM - had my OB appointment yesterday for my GCT results and I was just over so now I have to do the GTT - which is a shame - should've just done the GTT straight up.  I also went to the hospital and got my anti-D shot for my negative blood type. At least that's one thing out of the way for a while.

Reno's going well only 4 weeks to go - YIPPEE!!

#7 gracie1978

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Akadia, glad your renos are going well :) that isn't good news about the GTT I know heaps of people who have been too high on the simple test and fine on the two hour one.

Zebidee, just had a friend give birth who really recommended hypobirthing, are there any online courses?  It's great that you have a friend who can help.

Elemeno, glad your classes give you more confident.  In my one one (c section only class) they made us stand up say our name, due date and reason for c section!  I couldn't believe it, seemed a little insensitive.

Perpetual sound so sorry to hear you've been so unwell.  Glad you and bubs are doing well now and that is fab news that your Mum is coming to help.

AFM burst into tears during blood test for GD because she missed three times including my hand and told me this has only ever happened twice to her before and my veins are really tricky.
Caught a taxi to my work (we have blood collectors there) and they did it for me, first time, no drama.    The most amusing part of it all (in hindsight) was the taxi driver was so worried that someone had hurt me, or done something dreadful and was offering to sort them out for me.  He was so nice, but sort of in a scary mafioso way.  I managed to choke out that I was fine just pregnant and unable to stop crying over a very minor issue.  

Right off to read the other thread to see what I've missed.

#8 Princesspeachzz

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

HAHA Gracie! Your taxi driver story made me laugh out loud! Totally made my morning thinking of your mafia taxi driver. Unfortunately my colleagues now know i'm not doing work at the moment ;)

#9 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I need to have a bit of a whinge....
Why is it that my pregnant belly is invisible to people on public transport?! I've been looking very pregnant for the last month or so. Like properly pregnant, not just like I ate too much for dinner last night. People I don't know have asked about my pregnancy, so I think it's very obvious now. But despite that, each morning and night when I step onto public transport it's like nobody can tell. I have only been offered a seat 5 times in that time (and 3 of those were when I was only 20 or so weeks). When I do happen to stumble onto a seat, I've even had to offer my seat to other women who are further in to their pregnancy than me. Meanwhile everyone else pretends they didn't notice - even when they sit in priority seats. What goes?! I understand that some don't know what it's like to be pregnant and therefore can't empathise, but really??  I haven't got up the courage to ask for a seat yet, but I kind of think you shouldn't have to!

#10 Wanting#3

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

A lot of people are oblivious or just don't really care, they have their seat and they ain't giving it up. If I was you and I really need to sit down I would just ask. If they say no they will probably cop an earful from someone else.

Some people don't like to say anything Incase you aren't actually pregnant, even if u look it, I clearly look pregnant and some people just don't want to ask lol.

#11 Musefan2010

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostNeuron jockey, on 01 July 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

I need to have a bit of a whinge....
Why is it that my pregnant belly is invisible to people on public transport?! I've been looking very pregnant for the last month or so. Like properly pregnant, not just like I ate too much for dinner last night. People I don't know have asked about my pregnancy, so I think it's very obvious now. But despite that, each morning and night when I step onto public transport it's like nobody can tell. I have only been offered a seat 5 times in that time (and 3 of those were when I was only 20 or so weeks). When I do happen to stumble onto a seat, I've even had to offer my seat to other women who are further in to their pregnancy than me. Meanwhile everyone else pretends they didn't notice - even when they sit in priority seats. What goes?! I understand that some don't know what it's like to be pregnant and therefore can't empathise, but really??  I haven't got up the courage to ask for a seat yet, but I kind of think you shouldn't have to!

I know the feeling!
My bus is usually quiet in the morning, so I always get a seat, but once or twice a week in the afternoon it's filled to capacity.
I had to stand for a 45 minute journey once. We made a stop and several people got off, and a young guy next to me literally was diving towards the empty seat. So I asked him (very politely!) if I could have the seat instead. He wouldn't have dared say no, because everyone else standing was staring daggers at him!!

TBH before I was pregnant, I'm not sure that I would have noticed that someone who was standing was pregnant and needed a seat. I'm like everyone else - head stuck in a book for the whole journey.

I'm learning that sometimes you just have to ask! Sometimes I don't mind standing for a short journey, but often the bus drivers are a bit crazy, and I do worry that I might lose my balance.

#12 Akadia

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Well just completed my GTT test this morning and as an 'FU' I bought a weak caramel latte on the way to work ;) I get my results Tuesday next week as that's when I have my next OB appointment.

Sorry to hear Gracie about your test issues. For me, the first blood draw was ok, the second I bled everywhere and now have a big bruise at the puncture site and blood all over the front of my pants - and the third had to go in the same vein of the first one (which is the same vein they used for the GCT) - that one hurt like hell!

Renos only 3 weeks to go - YAY, however I'm freaking out at how much it cost in the end as we had a couple of issues with the house we had to resolve. And now my boss may want to finish me up a couple of weeks earlier than I thought as he's blowing his budget in other areas - really sucks - I'll find out later this week - really don't need anymore stress!!

Neuron - I've been very lucky so far. I've always been offered a seat if I don't have one (but I'm on a pretty good train line - people aren't too bad) however the other day I witnessed a very pregnant lady asking a guy if she could have the seat next to him and he said he was saving it for a friend (another young guy). That really annoyed me as he didn't even look up to see why someone was asking! Another guy got up for her which was nice but the other one was oblivious!!

AFM - I now have the weird pregnancy symptom of a numb site around my belly button! Anyone else have anything weird?

#13 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

I can empathise, neuron jockey!

My problem is that it's so cold when I get the train in the morning that my coat& scarf hide my bump. To me it is pretty obvious but when I catch a glimpse of my reflection, I kind of just look pudgy. I've had one person get up for me....ever.....

Akadia I'm with you on the sugar loading post-GTT. I was so weak after mine I went and got a massive marble mocha chiller and downed the whole thing in one go, practically. It was great :-D good luck for your results next week, hope they are as boring as mine were.

I also feel like patches of my belly go numb! Mostly up near the ribs, though. My torso is pretty long so it don't have feet in ribs yet, but every so often I notice the skin feels a bit numb compared to the rest of my bump. I am feeling simultaneous movements at the top and bottom of my belly now though, which is cute.

#14 Princesspeachzz

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

What I find worse than not getting a seat is getting one, but then an elderly person with a walking stick gets on and its me, the pregnant person who stands up for them whilst all the able bodied people sit there pretending they don't see what's going on! Truly shame everyone else who pretends they don't see them (and us)!

Also annoys me when I'm getting onto the train (heading for an empty vestibule seat) and other people push me out of the way to beat me to it. Way to go! Hope karma bites you in the a*se one day!

#15 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

Update to my whinge yesterday. Today I've had the complete opposite experience. No seats, but about a minute later a lovely lady offered her seat, apologising profusely for not noticing me earlier. Then the really old guy sitting next to her (maybe more deserving of a seat himself) kept apologising to me too. Embarrassed to say I got all teary that they were all so nice. Couldn't tell them how much I appreciated it cos I was afraid I'd cry. 😊

#16 Zebidee

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I don't have the joy of having to catch public transport but I imagine it would be a nightmare. I'm on feet most of the day at work but I'm  constantly moving. If I have to stand in one place and not move I really struggle, catching a bus or train would be awful. I like to think I'd speak up and ask for a seat but I'm just as likely to be passive aggressive and sit on the floor and sigh loudly and glare at people lol!

#17 gracie1978

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostPrincesspeachzz, on 02 July 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

What I find worse than not getting a seat is getting one, but then an elderly person with a walking stick gets on and its me, the pregnant person who stands up for them whilst all the able bodied people sit there pretending they don't see what's going on! Truly shame everyone else who pretends they don't see them (and us)!

Also annoys me when I'm getting onto the train (heading for an empty vestibule seat) and other people push me out of the way to beat me to it. Way to go! Hope karma bites you in the a*se one day!

OMG do we catch the same train?  :)
A girl pushed past me to get to a disabled seat that I was making my way towards, she had just been standing and texting, was about 20 and I suspect not impaired in anyway.
I was in shock and I said quite loudly to woman next to me, oh she was quicker than me because she isn't pregnant and then proceeded to stand in front of her rubbing my belly.
She didn't even look up, little minx.

I've also given my seat up to more pregnant people than me, though there aren't as many of those around these days.  I am now so much more aware of my fellow train passengers than I used to be.  Speaking of which did anyone read about the crazy lady in Sydney being racist on the train?

Akadia I can't believe they got blood on you, that is so annoying I hope you got it out.

My OB was happy with my late blood test so thankfully I can avoid the two hour test (I'm no good with fasting I tend towards hangriness).  Hope everyone else's GTT's go well.

Edited by gracie1978, 03 July 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#18 Akadia

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Hey all - hope you are all going well. Can't believe as of tomorrow I'll be 30 weeks!!

Had some interesting symptoms lately - I take random gasps of air every now and then - not often but one time embarrassingly during a meeting - everyone looked at me as if I was about to pass out LOL

And my feet seem to feel weird when I lay down at night - not painful but annoying so I have to keep moving them for a little while then they settle down.

Now after I eat I'm starting to feel like its harder to breathe. I think there is a lot less room in there now!!

Thank god its Friday - its DH's birthday this weekend so should be good.

Anyone else have any plans?

#19 Zebidee

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:59 AM

Akadia... restless legs!  I think i had it last pregnancy. Seriously annoying. I  remember taking magnesium supplements which is meant to help I think...or maybe I was taking it for muscle cramps, but maybe it was meant to help the restless legs as well. Or you could eat more bananas, they are meant to help but I hate bananas so I went with tablets.  

Reflux/heartburn is starting up for me this week. I've resorted to ranitidine a few times which works so well!

Nothing planned for this weekend yet. I want to do something tomorrow because I'm working Sunday. But the weather is looking average so I'm not sure what we'll get up to.

#20 elemeno

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

We should all be third trimester this week! I hit the mark on Thursday, woohoo!

Re public transport, sounds a nightmare! I would be asking (nicely) for a seat. I have shamed young people before to give up seats for elderly people. I don't know if young people realise how fragile older people can be and how their balance can be atrocious.

#21 Wanting#3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

I thought the 3rd trimester started at 28 weeks!

#22 Akadia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Zebidee that was what I was thinking - restless legs - they've calmed down a bit but I have been eating more banana - having banana on top of my porridge lately.

That's not good about the heartburn - I've been having the same issue the last few weeks but its really random - not every day lately - however always seems to show up when I'm about to go out to a nice dinner :doh:

#23 twilightangel

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hi girls,

Yep as far as I am aware the 3rd trimester starts at the 28th week.

Will have to catch up on previous posts as I have only quickly skimmed over them.

Akadia - Definitely sounds like restless legs. I am suffering with them really bad with this pregnancy. Magnesium and hot showers just before bed helps and I also read somewhere recently it can be a sign of low iron.

AFM - I am finally starting to recover from shingles. Don't ever want to experience them again. Just plain awful. Had a 3d scan done on Saturday but sprout was breech again so we only got to see her for half of our alloted time. I go back again this Thursday for the remainder of the scan. I am pretty sure sprout flipped around Saturday night though and is now head down. OMG the pain, it was like a burning/stretching feeling. I have never felt anything like it before.

I have an antenatal appt on Wednesday so it will be interesting to see if they say she is head down :) Will get the results of my GTT too.

#24 Iliketoflounce

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

I think most of us are now in our 3rd and final trimester yay

I had a 3d scan at 27 weeks and bub is a BOY (we have the 3d pic to prove it to lol) he also has a name Isaac Douglas and is incredibly cute. He was also breech the whole scan and we managed to get alot of cute pics

I am on holidays for DH's uni holidays and still struggling with HG

#25 twilightangel

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

Iliketoflounce - Love your sons name :) My DS2 who is Cooper was almost Isaac. It's funny every scan I have I ask for confirmation I am still having a little girl. I think after 2 boys I am still surprised this little one is a girl :)

Yay to having a great 3D scan and having lovely pics. My baby needs to be head down for me to get great pics as I have an anterior high placenta and when she is breech she likes to squish her face in the placenta. We did manage to get a few cute pics on Saturday but hoping she'll be head down Thursday and we will get a better view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.