No weight gain... at all?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Carpe Librarium

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Hi there, everyone.

Welcome to my hormone zone of anxiety and fretfulness!

I am 27 weeks 5 days (due Fathers' Day!) but I have not gained ANY weight during pregnancy.

This is my first pregnancy, my weight hasn't budged more than 500g in either direction for my entire pregnancy - this morning I weighed in as LESS than my pre-pregnancy weight.

I haven't had terrible morning sickness or anything, so it's not like I lost weight in the first trimester and have been gaining it back since.

My appetite is crap, especially in the evenings, so I worry I'm not eating enough, but literally don't seem to have room to fit food. I can munch on bits and pieces through the day (a piece of fruit here, a tub of yoghurt there, maybe a sandwich etc), but dinner is just not happening.
I've just started resorting to Sustagen with full cream milk in the evenings with my pre-natal vitamins just to make sure I'm getting something relatively nutritious.

My midsection is getting bigger (and determinedly nudgier), but people still tell me I'm 'tiny' or they 'can't even tell' I'm pregnant (surprisingly, this is not helping).

I have always been a bit of a runt, so while I know bubs will take everything from me that she needs in terms of nutrients etc, I'm worried that all of my resources are being rerouted to my breasts and the baby, and that once she's out, I'll be severely underweight, the reduction in blood volume will leave me anaemic, I won't have the energy or ability to even hold her, let alone look after her, there will be nothing left of me except a pair of massive nursing boobs attached to a spindly skelecreature (and onward goes the spiral until I worry that I'm going to give birth to a pterodactyl or something)...

Has anyone else had troubles with weight gain? How much freaking out should I be doing, on a scale of one to flailing like a muppet in a blender?

#2 greenthumbs

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

What does your care giver say?

#3 rld_dg

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

I didn't gain weight until the end of my pregnancy. My GP was concerned but my OB thought it was fine. I didn't suffer terribly from morning sickness throughout, just at the beginning but like you I couldn't face much at night. One or two chicken tenderloins veggies but very few carbs.

You're concerned about anemia. Have you had a history of it? If so, just let your health professionals know.

From what you have written, nothing is raising alarm bells.

#4 Selie

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

I can totally understand why you are concerned and unfortunately I don't have much advice for you but good on you for doing everything you can to get good nutrients in despite your lack of appetite.

I'm assuming you've discussed it with your doctor but what about a naturopath?

I have the opposite issue ... I'm usually thin but at only 7.5 weeks I've blown up like a balloon! Doesn't help that IVF put me up 4kg before I'd even fallen pregnant but I don't dare step on the scales.

I'm usually very good with my diet because I have digestive issues so can't really handle carbs, grains etc and was sugar free for over a month prior but it's all out the window! I can't function without some carbs now otherwise I stay crazy hungry. I've not been eating huge amounts but I'm constantly dehydrated so I think mixed with the constipation on hoarding loads of fluid too.

What I'm trying to say is try not to be too hard on yourself. Pregnancy seems to do crazy things to your body and you are doing the best you can.

Perhaps little small meals and definitely go with full fat options and include lots of healthy fats like animal fats (yes these are healthy), coconut oil etc.

#5 Mrs Q

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

OP - you need not flail arond like a muppet in a blender! Do not panic! The whole weight gain in pregnancy thing is something that varies so much from woman to woman (and pregnancy to pregnancy).

Just remember that there is no definitive 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to pregnancy weight.

If you have not put on any weight yet, that alone is not a sign of anything being wrong. Also, try not to take any notice of what people say about how 'tiny' or not you apparently look. I recall one day when about 4 months pregnant, I was told by one person that I looked "huge!", and later that afternoon another person declared I looked "really small". People will just say whatever, and it can sometimes get annoying, but try not to take much notice of it. They are not experts!

If you are staying hydrated, that is one of the main things. I know it can be hard to eat when you have no appetite. You just need to try your best, and try to find a way that works for you. If eating small amounts often through the day seems to work, then keep doing that. Just try and make it nutritious food. Every little bit helps.

Have you talked to your care provider about it? They may have some tips to help you out. They can also keep an eye on things to try and ensure you are eating enough for your baby as well as yourself.

Above all, as hard as it might be, please try to relax a little about it. There are plenty of pregnant ladies out there who have packed on the kgs, and those that have lost kgs too, and of course, those that kind of stayed the same the whole pregnancy. You sound like you are doing great (despite the lack of appetite). All the best!

#6 anasam

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

I have never gained weight with my pregnancies and all my babies were on the large side. I just assumed that they sucked everything they needed out of me. None of my GP's or OB's were concerned. After my last baby I discovered I had lost 17kg of my own weight.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Hi OP. Not my DIG so sorry for intruding - I saw your post in recent topics.

I wod be asking your GP for a referral to a dietician if you are concerned. (Not a nutritionist).  

There are ways of gettjng really good quality nutrients with a small appetite and I don't think it would hurt to get some advice around that.

I think being really intentional with the small meals you can manage will make a difference to you - now and as the pregnancy progresses.

#8 Sif

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

I lost weight with my first three boys, and while I had nausea (and really bad nausea with my second), I never threw up and I still lost weight.

If you have an efficient metabolism, then carrying baby plus all the extra fluids etc. might just be enough extra ballast to cause you to maintain your weight or lose a little.

All your body's resources are going to baby first, so chances are your baby is just fine, but you might want to just make sure your diet is varied enough to ensure YOU are getting your fair share of nutrients as well.

#9 Carpe Librarium

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

Hi all!
OP here. Thank you so much for your replies.
My next obstetrician appointment is on Wednesday, and I will bring it up then.
I think my post was mostly just coming good old fashioned, hormone-enhanced paranoia, and I appreciate you all giving me a judgment free space to get some of that out of my system.
It's comforting to know that others have also gained little weight, or didn't gain much until the very end of their gestational adventures, and everything still worked out just fine. It makes it easier for me to tell myself to put it out of my mind for the next few days.

#10 heatherdv

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

I'm 26 weeks, have only just started to put on a little bit of weight now.  But my appetite really kicked in after the 1st trimester m/s went away.

It was worrying me a lot at the start, so I banned myself from the scales.  When I got weighed at a midwife appt the other day, I was pleasantly surprised to find out I'd put on 4kg.

Its definitely easier to eat earlier in the day, I get so bloated at night time.

#11 Akadia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

As long as your bub is measuring well then there shouldn't be much of an issue.

I second the other PP's advice - talk to your OB in the first instance and perhaps get a referral for a dietician if they feel you need to see one.

Believe me, OBs are very thorough and if they felt that there was an issue they should address it straight away.

#12 blackroses

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

I didn't gain much weight until the 3rd trimester.  Overall I think I've only put on about 10kgs over the entire pregnancy.  My ob & caregivers don't seem concerned therefore I don't think it's an issue.

If you're worried I'd raise it with your caregivers but I'm sure it's not a concern.  :)

#13 Hands Up

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi OP it took ages for me to put on weight..... and now I have put on 11 kilos (38 weeks) with most of this being in the last 6 weeks or so. Everyone is different, hopefully your upcoming appointment can give you some reassurance (I was really worried too).

#14 Lalala4

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

I hope your Ob can reassure you, OP. I lost 3kg then gradually gained 11kg from there, so only 8 kg from my starting weight over the course of 9 months. Baby was nearly 4kg at nearly 42 weeks birth. Everyone's really different with these things, but of course if you're worried you should always check it out.

If you like making lists, you could make a list of all the things you actually feel like eating at the moment, and see if in themselves they cover the 5 main food groups?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.