Good looking glider/rocker?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Burro

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Ive just been talking to a new mum and its reminded me how intense the early months of BFing can be.  this time I'd like to treat myself to a glider/rocker.

I've had a quick google and most of the offerings are a bit naff or twee.

Has anyone seen any good looking chairs anywhere?

Also, is there much of a difference between a glider and a rocker?

Lastly, do you need an ottoman?

#2 Feral timtam

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Whether you need the ottoman depends on the chair. I needed an ottoman with my rocking chair, I purchased it without doing a test run in store and my legs weren't long enough to be comfortable without one.

With the likes of the Valco brand glider rockers, most women do not need an ottoman. Unfortunately I cheaped out and didn't get one of the super comfy Valco ones which I regret to this day.

As to good looking chairs, define good looking!

#3 HKT2017

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

I just order a Valco Eurobell Glkder, not particularly attractive but very comfy!

#4 Let-it-go

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

They are ugly.  They are ALL ugly.  If some clever person comes up with a tasteful glider chair they wiill make a fortune.

Having said, I made the choice NOT to buy one based upon my own vanity and not wanting a big ugly chair in my house.  I deeply regret it and it is the one thing that could have made my life so much easier and more comfortable.

Bite the bullet.  Buy an ugly, expensive glider chair.  You wont care at 2am rocking a sick baby to sleep while you get a desperately needed 45min shuteye yourself.

Ottoman....yes I need one but maybe that is personal.

#5 FeelingcLucky

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

I REALLY love the look of these Olli & Ella gliders, and really wanted one - not sure if its the style your after?

http://www.olliella.com.au/furniture/

I cant justify the price tag though if I had the spare money I would deff get one!

#6 Cakenfasten

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

Ehill is right, they are all ugly!!

Except this one from Pottery Barn...
http://www.potteryba...category=327409

The delivery time is horrendous though so if you need it in a rush, I don't recommend it. So comfy though.

#7 lucky 2

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hi, I had a quick search in this forum because we've had a few topics on this, you might find some extra information in the old threads.
All the best.
http://www.essential...ch&fromsearch=1

#8 Nepheline

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

I fell in love with the Joya rocker when I was pregnant... SO beautiful.

http://www.montedesi...ml#.U0Zj53gazCQ

#9 Fox-in-Sox

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

I have this one... I liked that its not leather and looks more like a traditional rocking chair than something you'd find in a home office. But still not as "attractive" as I would like but it's the best I could find at the time.

http://www.tinytotsw... Glider Ottoman

#10 Pinky101

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

I like the look of the Ollie Ella ones, but not sure they look that comfy for spending long periods in?

We were given an old school rocker/glider with wooden arms - I was constantly bumping poor DD's head on the arms :(

We also bought a Poang based on EB recommendations, but that was useless - way too difficult to get out of while holding a sleeping baby.

This time I'm going for a decent one, probably a Valco - I'm going comfort over looks. The Pottery Barn one does look very comfy, but I can't justify the price tag for only one baby (and it wouldn't go with the rest of our furniture afterwards).

#11 Future-self

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

I lusted after a Nurseryworks one whilst pregnant- http://www.nurserywo...t/empire-rocker

And sensibly bought the Ikea poang chair (not the rocker) instead which so many people raved about on different forums. And now I join them in the raving - it's a brilliant breastfeeding chair,.I still do BF and cuddling DS in it at 19 months :) I have fabulous cushions on it to jazz it up a bit :)

#12 Let-it-go

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

See that Potterybarn one is awesome. Why can't anyone in Aust do that???

#13 Nepheline

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Double post! But edited to add:

I've seen that pottery barn one in the shop near me.. In Sydney.

I also bought the ikea chair and hated it as a feeding chair, just not comfy and practical at all!

Edited by minimae, 10 April 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#14 Beeeeeez

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Cakenfasten, on 10 April 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

Ehill is right, they are all ugly!!

Except this one from Pottery Barn...
http://www.potteryba...category=327409

The delivery time is horrendous though so if you need it in a rush, I don't recommend it. So comfy though.
That one seems the most 'good looking'... Am I seeing the price right though? It's says $78???

#15 Beeeeeez

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

minimae, on 10 April 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

Double post! But edited to add:

I've seen that pottery barn one in the shop near me.. In Sydney.

I also bought the ikea chair and hated it as a feeding chair, just not comfy and practical at all!

Where in Sydney? Plz could you share? I don't want ugly chair either! :p

#16 damster

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

If Potterybarn has it in stock in their Sydney warehouse, it's only a few days for delivery. Their telephone customer service is excellent if you need to inquire :)

#17 Sockergris

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

biancabee, on 10 April 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

That one seems the most 'good looking'... Am I seeing the price right though? It's says $78???

I did the sAme double take.  The $78 is for the stationary feet!  :D

#18 Beeeeeez

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

amabanana, on 10 April 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

I did the sAme double take.  The $78 is for the stationary feet!  :D

Hahaha.. I knew it was too good to be true! Lol ah well.. It still is the best good looking gliding chair I've seen!

#19 cuddlebud

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Same predicament OP - I've been looking at nursing chairs for ages.

With my first a couple of years ago, never found anything I liked. Just ended uo feeding on the couch or in bed. Tried the poang but found it really uncomfortable. Also think something with high arms won't last too long. I haven't read good things about the nursery time rocker for feeding and it's hard to find reviews of the Ollie and Ella, probably because it's so expensive.

When dd moved into her
own room at 6 months,
we ended up getting
this chair and ottoman from Freedom http://www.freedom.c...ter-lemongrass/
It worked quite well for night feeds and is a great story chair.

Still looking for an actual feeding chair for when this one comes along - a friend's babyhood one doesn't look too bad and I've even considered a lazy boy recliner...

#20 Burro

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone, I've looked at all the links. These are exactly the kind of chairs I was after. Some of them are a bit pricy though so they would want to be the kind of chair you would invite to hang out in your lounge room afterwards. if DP complains about the cost of a chair I will whip out my scarred nipple to silence him.

I am almost swayed by the comfort and price of the valco ones but i probably wouldn't let it out of the nursery.

I think this one might be a front runner at the moment

http://www.nurserywo...eepytime-rocker

I just can't work out how much it costs?

#21 Burro

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

cuddlebud, on 10 April 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

Same predicament OP - I've been looking at nursing chairs for ages.

With my first a couple of years ago, never found anything I liked. Just ended uo feeding on the couch or in bed. Tried the poang but found it really uncomfortable. Also think something with high arms won't last too long. I haven't read good things about the nursery time rocker for feeding and it's hard to find reviews of the Ollie and Ella, probably because it's so expensive.

When dd moved into her
own room at 6 months,
we ended up getting
this chair and ottoman from Freedom http://www.freedom.c...ter-lemongrass/
It worked quite well for night feeds and is a great story chair.

Still looking for an actual feeding chair for when this one comes along - a friend's babyhood one doesn't look too bad and I've even considered a lazy boy recliner...

I just read you post after I posted. When you say the nursery time do you mean the rocker I linked to?

#22 Jingleflea

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

I bought a Valco one. Yes it's a bit ugly, sure it's not white like the cot(now toddler bed) is and the bookshelf and change table(now chest of drawers lol), but I've used it EVERY day, usually more than once, for 4 years. We sit in it for story time, I rock her if she's had a bad dream, she sits in it to 'read' to herself etc.

My thought is with some of the linked ones, are the lower chairs I find really hard to get up and out of, especially holding a baby.

I like the fact that you can wipe it down if they have a milk(or any other) spew.
Pretty is nice, but practical is WAY better!

#23 Jingleflea

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

That nursery times one looks great, but it also looks too low for me. You need to sit in a chair to see how it works I think.

#24 Burro

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Jenflea, on 10 April 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

That nursery times one looks great, but it also looks too low for me. You need to sit in a chair to see how it works I think.

Yep, and cuddlebud was right, it's had some terrible reviews....  Back to valco maybe

#25 HGL

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

http://www.manthaand...JoyaRocker.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.