Due in September 2014 Chat Thread #5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
201 replies to this topic

#76 Zebidee

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

Gracie, my mum was keen for me to go to her Bowen therapist. She thinks she works miracles!

#77 yoonseon

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

Hi everyone! Thank you for the congrats!

And I know what you mean about emotions running a bit higher during pregnancy! I almost cried throughout Disney movies the other night!

As for kicks, I'm getting flutters, but no major kicks or punches just yet. DH has yet to feel anything, too.

What about names? Have you all got names? We decided on our name a while ago as DH and I found it hard to agree, but now we have one that we love, so it makes it all that little more exciting knowing what gender we're having!

Hope you're all well! Halfway there! Woo!

#78 Perpetual Sound

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

We have a girls name set in stone.

Absolutely NOTHING for boys.... have been through the entire boys list on nameberry, genie name generator, etc etc.... nothing. Last time we only had Henry on our list and that's taken now.

Zeb - ask your chiro what pillow would be best for you - quite often chiros actually sell pillows. I hope you can get a bit of relief from the treatment.

#79 Akadia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

How exciting Perpectual - not long to go now!

Yoonseon - we discussed names early on and had picked a boys and girls name, however when MIL came over and asked about it, DH had forgotten the boys name LOL.  Sounds like we'll have to have another discussion about it soon to make sure we still like the name or whether we'd like to choose another - I've also added a couple more incase he changes his mind - so I've got about 7 or 8 on the list, not counting any that he may come up with.

#80 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

No names for us yet, really. I guess we should start thinking about it soon though. I have a boys name I really want, and DH suggested a girls name the other day, so if all else fails I guess we have something!

I have a question about bassinets/baskets!

We were generously given a (secondhand) Moses basket which I am so happy about because I wanted to buy one anyway:
http://www.productre...rganic-pod.html

Anyway, I was wondering whether I should contact the company to get a new mattress for it? It's a latex mattress and looks a little thin/squished? I know babies are meant to have firm mattresses but underneath the latex is hard wood- it looks uncomfortable :(
But in the reviews a lot of people say the new mattress stinks, so I'm not sure what's the safest option here?

Also, I saw this in the shop today and was drawn to it:
https://www.babyking..._8523_sec4.html
I particularly like the mesh sides, the canopy, and the fact that the base looks like it folds up neater than the Seed Pod. I'm a little worried about air flow in the wicker basket, especially since baby is going to be sleeping in it over Spring/Summer. It's had at least one other newborn use it with no problems, so I might just be being paranoid...but what does everybody else think?

#81 Possum88

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

I have a girls name im in love with but DP isn't keen on it. (still some convincing to do).
He wont talk names :( its frustrating because I want to have some names picked especially boys as I haven't seen any I like!

Im contemplating the chiro but sticking with a massage at the moment. if my back gets worse the bigger I get ill give it a go but I have always been a bit sceptical.

jealous of everyone finding out the sex but not finding out is something I promised DP.

#82 yoonseon

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostPossum88, on 30 April 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

I have a girls name im in love with but DP isn't keen on it. (still some convincing to do).
He wont talk names :( its frustrating because I want to have some names picked especially boys as I haven't seen any I like!

Im contemplating the chiro but sticking with a massage at the moment. if my back gets worse the bigger I get ill give it a go but I have always been a bit sceptical.

jealous of everyone finding out the sex but not finding out is something I promised DP.

I had quite a few names I loved for boy and girl, and DH hated them all! I have learnt that the name thing is a pretty serious compromise! I'd had all these name ideas in my head and DH shot them all down! Was kinda disheartening. LOL.

Don't worry, Possum88, you'll find out the sex soon enough! :-)

#83 Zebidee

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

For the  experienced chiro visitors I have a question... do you expect to feel relief from the first visit? How soon after? Right now my pelvis is feeling a whole lot more sore than usual. Is that normal?  She said my pelvis was pretty badly out of alignment. I'm feeling confident in her care but wanted to be reassured that is normal feel worse not better immediately.

Lol, she just rang me to see how I was feeling! She had reassured me that it's normal.  How's that for service?

Names we are discussing but not deeply yet. We have thrown around a few ideas.

As for bassinets, we bought ours second hand and didn't even think to replace the mattress.  It seemed in reasonable condition but was quite thin. We had one with mesh sides. If I could have my time again (or could afford to) I'd buy one that was a side to side glider like the boori bassinets. I'd definitely recommend one on wheels at least. Oli spent the first  several months of his life sleeping in the bassinet of his pram because rocking was such a major part of trying to settle him.

Edited by Zebidee, 30 April 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#84 Perpetual Sound

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

For the very first visit, yes you can expect to be a bit sore.... basically your spine has been manipulated and realigned and so your muscles also have to release and reconfigure themselves. I remember the very first time I went I was so sore the day afterwards that I felt like I had just run 20km after never so much as running to the bus.
Keep walking and keep your hydration up. Walking is pretty much the best thing you can do after an adjustment.

#85 gracie1978

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

*** Ok crazy first time parent alert *** :freaked:

I researched all the bassinets and only two met the Australian safety standards, unfortunately they were a bit exxy for me so bought one second hand and then ordered a new mattress.  I know the opinion sways from one to another but if there is even the slightest chance that a new mattress will reduce the chance of SIDS then I considered it $30 well spent.  (Though I ordered the blimmin thing three weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived.)

The one I got was the tasman eco with the mesh round the sides.

Zebidee I always feel better two days after a bowen visit if that helps.  Make sure you stay well hydrated (well that's what mine always tells me).

I've been trying loads of pillows and I've settled on a big fluffy feather pillow from Ikea, seems to working so far (thought DP keeps stealing it, might need to get another one for him).

Possum, my DP is rubbish at discussing names at well, I guess that's what we have each other for.  :smile:

#86 Zebidee

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, that's what she said too. Keep active tomorrow and try to not sit down too much. I was planning a quiet day at home but I'm sure I can think of something to do to keep me on my toes! Thanks for the reply.

#87 Zebidee

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Wow, how is it possible that only two bassinets meet Australian standards? I assumed that it would have to to be legal to sell?

#88 gracie1978

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Bassinets don't need to met the safety standards...

#89 gracie1978

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

I've found a thread discussing it:

http://www.essential...choice-website/

#90 Zebidee

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

I googled your bassinet and that's the one I have. And read on their website that there is no Australian standards. Interesting. But you'd think that the wooden bassinets with cot-like sides wouldn't be a sids risk?

#91 twilightangel

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

Agree with asking your chiro about a pillow. I brought my pillow from my chiro and whilst it cost $80 it is the best thing ever. If I sleep at someone elses the night and forget my pillow I have the worst sleep ever.

In regards to baby names, yes we have our little girls name picked :). Having trouble with her middle name though. We have 2 choices as we use family names as middle names and DH prefers one and I am undecided.

I have the grotime patsy bassinet which has the mesh sides. Prior to that I had a childcare bassinet which had material sides etc. This was used for DS1 to DS2. I just brought a new mattress for each child. I won't be buying a new mattress for the patsy as Keilan barely used it as by the time he was discharged after his whooping cough stay he was way to big for it.

Edited by twilightangel, 30 April 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#92 gracie1978

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

I agree you'd think so!

This is enough compared to how crazy the whole ISO car seat situation made me.  I emailed the department of transport, watched the safety videos, plotted about importing one from NZ.  :whistle:

Fortunately now that I'm feeling better I have less time to lounge around obsessing about safety features in baby equipment.

#93 gracie1978

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Twilightangel, I vote for Grace or Gracie :smile:

#94 twilightangel

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Gracie :)

In case you ladies would like to help. Currently the options are ...

Calliope Alice

and

Calliope Mackenzie

Alice is my great great grandmother's name and DH's great grandmothers name and Mackenzie is a variation on my maiden name.

#95 Perpetual Sound

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Alice gets my vote. :)

#96 gracie1978

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Team Alice

#97 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Sorry double post!

Edited by KoalaTeeTime, 30 April 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#98 Zebidee

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

How do you pronounce Calliope? Is it with an "ee" sound at the end?

I'm staggered about the lack of Australian standards for bassinets.  I had no idea. Clearly though I was hardly doing the right thing by my first by letting him sleep in his pram bassinet, I honestly never thought about it.  Considering the number of cyh nurses that came to my house I'm amazed none of them quietly suggested to me that what I was doing wasn't safe. I'll have to have a closer look at the sids brochures at work, I'm sure they don't advise against using bassinets. Maybe they just talk about using a cot  and ignore the bassinet issue altogether. I know you'd think common sense will prevail but in those hazy first few weeks and months there is very little common sense going on (in my  experience anyway! ).

#99 gracie1978

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Gumtree is quite a good place to check out second hand ones!

I'm letting them know what names we're thinking of and trying to not get too offended when they rant on about how much hate a particular name.  :doh:

#100 gracie1978

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Nurses come to your house?!
I had no idea.

I'll have to see if they schedule it in for that golden period of four hours after the cleaner has been :ninja:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.