Due in September 2014 Chat Thread #5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
201 replies to this topic

#101 Perpetual Sound

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

Nope - not letting family or friends know - mum's a teacher and hates pretty much every name because "oh no that name's been ruined for me"..... people generally don't criticize your name choice once the baby has been named and introduced :)

And as for house calls.... that depends on whether or not they actually turn up when they schedule for an appointment :dry:

#102 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

OMG my mum too....I can't even mention a name without her saying 'I taught an xxxx once, they were horrible" Urgh. Not a peep about names from me until baby is safely out and in the world.

I joked with my midwife about my house being too messy for a visit, and she just said "I'm coming to see you, not your house", but it doesn't stop me from being anxious about it!

#103 Zebidee

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Postnatally you should get a couple of  midwife visits after you go home depending on what your hospital offers.

In SA you get one home visit from the cyh nurse (cafhs now, mchn i think in other states). I had pnd so for a while I had a nurse visit fairly regularly, plus I think being "country" they offered me services in the home that usually happen in the clinics in the city.

#104 twilightangel

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Zebidee - it's pronounced ka-LYE-ah-pee.

Thanks girls for your opinions. It's appreciated.

#105 twilightangel

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

We aren't telling anyone her name until she's born either.

My mum is already complaining because if Keilan was a girl he would have been MacKenzie Alice so she presumed we would be using that name but since then I have made friends with a school mum who has twins and one of them is MacKenzie. DH and I try to avoid using our friends kids names so it doesn't get confusing.

#106 Perpetual Sound

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

Ok so I had a bit of a silly pregnant emotion meltdown at DP last night about the lack of help with boys names.... so he finally sat down with me and seriously looked at names (as in didnt just sit there rejecting everything coming out of my mouth).

Here is a list of names that we came up with .... all are all "meh, maybe..." names - its hard with Henry we were like "Yes!" straight away. This time nothing. I have vetoed any names that start with R as DPs surname starts with R and he/she will be teased enough as it is. DP has vetoed any names starting with E - because he just doesnt like any E names.

Anyways, what do you think? The middle name will be Myles after DPs grandfather.

Bennett
Benedict
Jenner
Otis
Leigh
Theodore
Gordon
Bronson
Sawyer
Jude
Angus
Alec

#107 Possum88

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

This is the bassinet I have bought. only thing I have chosen so far!

Posted Image

Alice gets my vote but its a middle name on my list also as my grandmothers name is alice so im biased. :)

I have a dilemma with nursing chairs. my SIL has given me hers however I didn't get a chance to look at it or even say I wanted it before it was dumped at my house. I don't like it at all and its not what I wanted not to mention its too low to the ground(im a tall girl) getting in and out of it now is a struggle let alone holding a baby.
DP keeps telling me to get over it and I cant have everything perfect, my argument is we arnt poor so there is no reason I cant buy my own chair and I don't like it, its not comfortable so I wont use it. Its been used for 2 babies and its old and faded.
Sorry if I sound like a spoiled bratt its just not how I imagined it and its my first baby I always dreamed about how the room would look and everyone keeps giving me things that are not useful to me.

#108 Perpetual Sound

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

Lovely bassinet! :)

As for the chair - could you explain that you would like to return the chair back because when you sit in it its too low for you and you have trouble getting out of it? Your concern of being able to get in and out of it with bub is valid - particularly if you end up needing to have a c/s. I don't think the look of it is necessarily important, but certainly the practicality of it is!

#109 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

If you're not going to use it, Possum, there is no point keeping it. You don't sound spoiled at all, I feel the same way as you about being given things that won't be used or aren't suitable for me. We've got to be practical...especially if something has the potential to be unsafe or cause discomfort when using it, just say no.

I think we should be allowed to create the kind of atmosphere we want for our babies, especially if it's our first and we're working with a blank slate.
And just because something is free, doesn't mean we have to want it. As long as we aren't rude about refusing to take somebody's hand me downs then that's the main thing.

SIL wanted to give me some baby furniture, it was totally not my style and quite old and worn by now. I said that's very generous but no thanks we've got most of what we need already, and she goes "oh ok it will just go out for council collection anyway". Something about that made me cringe....like she was knowingly trying to pass on stuff that was meant for hard rubbish??

The bassinet you bought is gorgeous- I love how minimalist and unfussy it looks.
Do you know what type of chair you want? I'm leaning towards the IKEA Poang rocker, but did sit in a glider at Babies R Us the other day which was unexpectedly nice...

#110 twilightangel

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

Possum88 - I love that bassinet it is gorgeous.

Ah yes, the hand me downs, always a hard place to be put in. In all honesty if you can afford one then I would be buying what you prefer and not feeling bad about it. The joy of having your first is buying all these things and seeing your dream vision of a nursery happening.

I brought a glider style leather chair and ottoman when pregnant with Keilan as I didn't need to buy anything else so it was my little bit of luxury. I was offered a rocking chair but like you I had an idea of what I wanted and even now I still love sitting in it reading a book.

Perpectual_sound - I really like Bennett, Theodore, Jude and Angus out of your list.

#111 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

I like Gordon and Alec :)
I think they sound nice against your DPs last name.

How is everybody's bumps going? My belly button is starting to do strange things...

#112 yoonseon

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Man, we haven't bought anything for a nursery yet. Haven't even started clearing out the spare room!

Possum88, that's really nice. I love the wood look. :-)

Perpectual_Sound: Out of those, I like Theodore and Sawyer. Are you feeling better for having a shortlist? :-)

#113 Zebidee

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

I like Alice with Calliope...Mackenzie just ends up being too much of a mouthful to me, but if you have a single syllable surname then it could work. But honestly, I'm hopeless with names!

I like Jude and Theodore out of those perpetual sound. I like Jude more as a name but there's something very strong about Theodore Myles.

Possum, put your foot down and tell your husband you'll be buying a new chair. No use putting up with an uncomfortable chair that's hard to get out of even before you've got a baby in your arms. I love my glider chair. It's one of the faux leather valco ones.We use it every night to read stories and have cuddles in before bedtime with DS. I joked to my hubby that I thought we'd should invest in a second one so DS can keep his chair and have one for the baby. To be honest I didn't use it at all post birth. I had a fractured coccyx and it was horrendously difficult to get out of but since then I don't know how many hours one of us has sat in it rocking Oli back to sleep. Hundreds of hours. So much easier to sit and rock a heavier baby than to try to rock standing up at 3am!

I like Alice with Calliope...Mackenzie just ends up being too much of a mouthful to me, but if you have a single syllable surname then it could work. But honestly, I'm hopeless with names!

I like Jude and Theodore out of those perpetual sound. I like Jude more as a name but there's something very strong about Theodore Myles.

Possum, put your foot down and tell your husband you'll be buying a new chair. No use putting up with an uncomfortable chair that's hard to get out of even before you've got a baby in your arms. I love my glider chair. It's one of the faux leather valco ones.We use it every night to read stories and have cuddles in before bedtime with DS. I joked to my hubby that I thought we'd should invest in a second one so DS can keep his chair and have one for the baby. To be honest I didn't use it at all post birth. I had a fractured coccyx and it was horrendously difficult to get out of but since then I don't know how many hours one of us has sat in it rocking Oli back to sleep. Hundreds of hours. So much easier to sit and rock a heavier baby than to try to rock standing up at 3am!

#114 Princesspeachzz

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Possum, You have every right to choose and use whatever you want regardless of how many kids you have. Clothing, yes, you probably need to take it (doesn't mean you have to ever use it... they may end up in a charity bin two suburbs over...), but furniture no way! You have to look at that every day!!!

I sometimes get the impression that people are really keen to give you things so they don't have to dispose (or sell on ebay) themselves, justifying the process by patting themselves on the back for 'helping' you. Sucks in your case because the chair is already at your house and it's now kind of your problem. I'd suggest to thank them very kindly for the offer, but that you had your heart set on a different model and could they please come and get it back. As it's family and you'll have to see her at every family event, take her with you browsing for the one you really want? DP needs to realise that happy wife= happy life. His 1st loyalty moved to you the minute he said I do.

#115 Akadia

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm Team Alice.

I'm also partial to Theodore Myles as Miles is our top pick at the moment. My only issue may be we have a 'food' type last name so I was worried he'll get teased by being called 'Mild' <last name>. What do you think or am I over thinking? I think we'll do a proper revisit of names in the next few weeks.

Possom - the bassinet is lovely. I was lucky with the bassinet - a friend of mine got one with the mesh sides when her baby was born earlier this year and has already agreed to let me borrow it - plus it was the right colour - white.

As for furniture - i think you definitely need to be happy with what your receiving and I agree with Princesspeachzzz that sometimes I think that you receive things as an excuse for other people who couldn't be bothered throwing out / selling stuff. I've been lucky so far - mum has asked me what I would like as she'd like to buy stuff for the baby so she's bought me a bumbo, a portacot and will be getting a swing - I told her its too much but she's really excited.

As for swings - which ones would  you recommend? I'm currently looking at this one: http://mybabywarehou...wing-beige.html, but my sis said I may want a bigger more permanent one that is able to cope with higher weights and swings from side to side. If that's the case - which one would you recommend? Want to use it for settling and when I'm on the treadmill trying to get rid of my post baby weight so I'll need a remote control..

I think we're going to get a replica Eames armchair and ottomon as opposed to the glider as we'll use it in our sitting room so it wont go to waste - do you really need the glider function or is it just enough to have a nice comfortable place to sit with the baby while breastfeeding, reading, etc???

#116 Perpetual Sound

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

Swings I would probably have to agree with your sister and get one that at least takes up to 12kg.... that way you can use it for longer if you end up with a chubba bubba.

We didnt have one, but Henry used his bouncer until he was about 6 months? Was great for day sleeps!

As for chairs - an arm chair and ottoman is fine. The advantage of gliders/rocking chair though is that you can get a bit of momentum up with them to help you stand up out of them - particularly helpful if you've had to have a c/s. I didn't use either and just was a permanent fixture to my couch - though if I'd had the money and the room, I would have loved one!

#117 twilightangel

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

I brought a swing with DD2 and it only went back and forward and whilst she liked it DS2 hated it so we ended up selling it.

When I was pregnant with Keilan I brought this one - http://www.fisher-pr.../products/49427 he loved it and it lasted us for ages. Keilan only liked the side to side swinging motion. This was great for us when I was running around with the other kids especially after he came home from his whooping cough stay as he was so used to being held in hospital.

In regards to chairs, mine is a glider with ottoman - this one in black http://www.pramwareh...ider_Chair.html
I found most of the time I sat in it feeding the chair remained still but it was handy for the few nights when Keilan was unsettled and I didn't feel like swaying with him in my arms as my hips/pelvic were sore.

#118 Akadia

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

Twilight - the fisher price swing didn't load properly. Can you tell me the name? I'll google it!

#119 twilightangel

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Odd it loaded when I clicked on it. Silly computers.

It's the Fisher Price Papasan My Little Lamb Swing.

#120 Akadia

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Thanks! I'm at work so maybe its my version of internet explorer :(

#121 Fairey

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

I like Calliope Alice - sounds like it flows better to me. But that's just my opinion :)

And out of those boys names, Perpectual_Sound, I like Angus.

DH doesn't really want to discuss names. I was absolutely in love with Isla for a girl, but DH really really REALLY doesn't like it. I don't think there's going to be any chance of me changing his mind on it. Stupid husbands. It's like they think they had a contributing factor to this baby or something.

AFM - I feel soooooo fat today. I'm a big Mumma anyways, but today is an especially massive fat day. And it's raining outside which makes me want to cuddle up with DD and just eat yummy no-good-for-you food.
Please tell me I'm not the only only who ever has days like this?!

#122 elemeno

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

Twilight angel - Alice!

#123 gracie1978

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Fairey I feel like a whale!  I'm trying not to dwell on it too much and eating lots of fruit and vege to try and balance my fondness for ice cream and hot chips.  (Not at the same time, though I'll never rule anything out...)

Friends keep asking me to send them pics of my bumb.  No way!  If they want to see how fat I am they'll just have to come round with cake :)

#124 Zebidee

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

Fairey, I'm craving maccas all the freaking time. For me it's savory foods that I'm hankering after but that's normal for me, I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

#125 yoonseon

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

Fairey: I've been feeling like that everyday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.