Has anyone moved due to neighbours?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostCrazySingleMum, on 17 February 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

I hated feeling that they'd forced me out

hmmm that's a big thing for me, we are buying, not renting and we've lived here a really long time so I feel like why should I move because this nasty lady has moved in next door.

#27 DZP

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Yes, lived next to horrible disturbing people.

Life is much better now, most definitely the right thing to do. One of the neighbours we have now are annoying and I'm sure we annoy them, and from what I hear most people have there annoyances with a neighbour, but the big difference is we don't live in fear.

I have to admit I did feel the slightest little bit guilty when the person who purchased our old house resold within a year.

#28 SummerStar

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:12 AM

YES!!! Unfortunately we weren't renting or we would have moved out much sooner but we did sell up and buy somewhere else because of them.
It was department of defence housing and each time we got new neighbours they were worse and worse. We complained about them and all that was done was our emailed complaint was forwarded to the tenants.
Now we have bought a house 3 times bigger in the suburb we always intended to buy our forever house in and we are MUCH happier. Even though we left the kids in their old school so there is a bit of a commute they are much happier also.

#29 maxblue

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

No! I would make THEM move! A couple of years back we had a neighbour who kept everything messy, dirty and smelly. We filed a complain and he was evicted. Job done in no time!

#30 whatnamenow

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Growing up I know my parents sold a house at a serious loss part way through a renovation due to crazy neighbours.  Bikie gang, rocks thrown on our roof ( and worse) and kids playing in our yard and adults telling me to *uck off out of our own yard.  ( acre block and parents had built inner yard with retaining wall and then the rest of the yard with our lovely swing off the mango tree)  Took them about 4 years to get back to square one again financially.

We've left qld housing property thanks to in part crazy neighbours.  Just heard on the grapevine those people have just moved to my town and have heard I live here and are wanting to meet up.  No just no, I put up with your 'my partners having a seizure, we've called an ambulance can you watch him while we hide the drugs', leaving filthy kids in the yard all day for 2 years. ( yes I rang child safety that place was a hell hole and those kids were filthy, hungry and neglected)  Why on earth would I want to 'catch up'.....

#31 Nobodyelse

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

Yes and no. We were renting and the LL evicted us in order to bulldoze the property but we were in the process of leaving due to drug dealing neighbours. Apparently, they now use the front of our old place as a drug drop.

#32 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

We did and it was the best decision ever.  We lived on a small block with neighbours everywhere.  On one side (wall of our house was on the boundary line), we had neighbours who would be up all hours of the night drinking, playing loud music and having people coming and going - not to mention their very aggressive dogs.

The other side was a family who would get new dogs who were obsessed about coming into our yard to get my kids (the dogs ruined the fence and she would not agree to paying half to replace it.  The teenager was constantly squeeling and carrying on and even would be out in the yard naked with the bf.

Then we had neighbours at the back who through glass bottles into our yard and on our roof.  And had a party that would strt Friday afternoon and go till Monday with loud music, fights and other awful things.

Our kids couldn't use the yard for all of the above reasons and it was sending me mental and everyone was stressed.  We moved and it felt like a weight had lifted and the bad things just melted away.

#33 twinboys

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

We bought a house that seemed perfect and i could not work out why anyone would want to sell it.

I found out the first night why at 10pm.....That is when father and son would start playing their drums on their back verandah.

Within a week we had found out that all the surrounding neighbours had cases against them for noise issues with the local council.
But they just kept banging away.

I was in tears every night as I had new born twins and I needed to sleep as much as i could and they kept me awake for hours on end.

Finally i heard on the grapevine that a very tall and muscly and scary guy went and knocked on their door and threatened their lives if they did not stop.

They stopped and within 6 months they moved.
We loved living in that house for the next 7 years.

#34 Coffeegirl

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Yes, but we were renting.  The neighbour wasn't threatening just frigging annoying.

He lived below us in a converted house and had floorboards.  He walked around in cowboy boots inside (YES! Cowboy boots). He had a hot tub installed on his balcony below our bedroom window and thought he was a bit of a 'playya' He even had a crappy old Porsche that he loved to rev in the driveway when he came home with his latest conquest at 2am.    Cue music, giggling and splashing in the hot tub. :sick:

Unfortunately he owned his unit.  We moved.

Shame.  Was an awesome unit overlooking Auckland Harbour and had incredible views.

#35 countrychic29

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

In a way yes, we always wanted to move but... After a 'joking' comment about poisoning dogs we went for a drive that weekend and put an offer on a place to our surprise it was accepted
We have lovely neighbours now, the acreage we always wanted and what's better is hearing from other old neighbours the people that brought our place have a dog that gets out and picks fights with all the other dogs in street and they throw feral parties every weekend ... Karma it will get you

#36 Zesty

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

It wasn't the only reason we moved, but it certainly was one of the main reasons.

That particular house had a lovely family in it when we first moved there. Alas, it was a rental and pretty much every tenant afterwards was a shocker. Drug dealers, domestic violence, child neglect, drug dealers and domestic violence, bad language, petty theft of the properties in the neighbouring homes. The owner didn't care as long as the tenants paid rent on time.

We were lucky, we had a big, hairy german shepherd who was a big softy, but sounded impressive. No one lingered in front of our place for long.

My personal fav quote from that time: "Stop ****ing swearing in front of the ****ing kids". Alrighty then!

I knew the local police number off by heart. I'm sure they got to know my voice too.

#37 SummerStar

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostZesty, on 20 February 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

My personal fav quote from that time: "Stop ****ing swearing in front of the ****ing kids". Alrighty then!

Off topic but that reminds me of someone I used to know. Id speak to her on the phone and all of a sudden shed say
"what the **** do you want now? then just ****ing shut it"

speaking to a child ... and she'd come back to the phone and say "****ing kid just been swearing at me"

She was more an acquaintance but made me laugh inside every time this happened because it was pretty much every time I spoke to her. She could never understand why they did it or where they got it from.

Edited by SummerStar, 20 February 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#38 steppy

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Our awful neighbours just moved but we were considering buying a small unit and moving and renting our place out to avoid them.

Now we just have to hope the landlord who owns the house reviews all the damage to his property and decides to take a more sensible view of who he'll rent to.

#39 mards

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

we had the WORST neighbours in the world - was OH so happy when they moved.

#40 I'm Batman

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

For the people who moved? Did you ever find out what happened to the next family that lived in there?

#41 BlondieUK

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Bad neighbours was a huge factor in a move - it was not the only factor, but it wasn't until we moved that I realised how stressful every night was, not knowing when the noise/tv/yelling would start. We had a premmie, sick newborn and they would routinely have music blasting until 2-3am. Fights. Ridiculous.

Some people are just idiots.

#42 HRH Countrymel

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

We moved from a rental next door to a horrible, horrible man (who was an owner)..

Every time I left the house he would scream 's*ut - whore' at me and 'Poofta' at DP (no we never worked it out either?)

That was just the very tiniest tip of the iceberg..

When we left I was very clear in my conversation with the REA that it would be a VERY BAD IDEA to rent the property to either a lone or pair of women or anyone non anglo saxon in appearance.

The next house we rented was lovely.  We had nice sane goths next door.

#43 taddie

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Yes, our neighbours :/ As in the woman was saying how bad her last neighbours were, apparently they were terrible and intimidating and "did things I can't even tell you" etc so they moved to get away from them.

Then we asked them to help us renovate our house by letting us bring a floor sander through their yard (we have bad road access) and it started. About 15 complaints to council later about our building and objecting spuriously to every DA we lodge, dobbing the assholes in for their lies about their bad pool fencing felt like sweet justice :)

Council have told me for each complaint she lodged she called on a daily basis for up to a year demanding to know what was being done. They said she was "known" to them and had done the same thing previously, thankfully she's basically been judged as a vexatious complainer and if there is doubt she's not believed which is good because a percentage of her complaints have been completely made up.

They stand at back fence loudly announcing they can hear us use the toilet. If we go into the backyard they let their dog out so it barks loudly the whole time. If we go into the front yard they start using power tools right next to our deck. They hold loud parties outside right next to the babies room even though they have a brick house that would be soundproof for parties at 1am. They use power tools next to the girls room after 8pm, though they stopped that once they saw me out recording it on my ipad.

The floor sander we wanted to get in was to finish the babies room when I was pregnant with my first. She put a stereo next to the fence by the babies room and played really bad techno music for 5 hrs a day while her husband was at work for almost that whole year. After a few months of pain I now have babies who can sleep through anything :)

So she's a barking mad insane b**ch but be buggered if I'm moving. I just wish she'd never moved :/

Edited by taddie, 20 February 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#44 Newdisplayname

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostBlondieUK, on 20 February 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Bad neighbours was a huge factor in a move - it was not the only factor, but it wasn't until we moved that I realised how stressful every night was, not knowing when the noise/tv/yelling would start. We had a premmie, sick newborn and they would routinely have music blasting until 2-3am. Fights. Ridiculous.

Some people are just idiots.

At one stage this was us, the stress of the last few months of living 200k from home got to me and I lost it and declared war.  They backed down surprisingly quick, I must have out crazied them. They moved soon after. We live in the nicest neighbourhood it usually has a great community feel. We really bonded over our troubles with the ferals. :)

#45 madefromscratch

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

We didn't but should have.  We didn't realise how much stress we were under in our old place - bad neighbours and just far too small for us.  It was our own place so we kind of felt that we had to stick it out, but really stayed about 2-3 years too long (we were there for 10 years).  The stress of conflict and the toll on our relationship was more than the financial benefit of living in 51m2.

If you have kids then I'm sure that it makes the financial side of it a bit tougher, but you need to make your family life as happy and relaxed as it can be.  I'm pretty sure your neighbours are actively disrupting you as opposed to being just not your type, or you wouldn't have posted I guess.

FWIW I have the nicest neighbours now.

#46 content1

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

This thread has made me appreciate my neighbours more!

Sorry to hear about all the horrible things some of you have had to live with, everyone should feel relaxed & safe in their home.

#47 surprisebaby

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Yes we did.
Our neighbour was the passive aggressive type. Our deck was on her side of the house, whenever we sat out there or even if my daughter was outside she would slam all her windows shut as apparently the "noise" offended her.
We wanted to renovate but when she got wind of that she knocked on the door and went on and on about how our renovation would ruin her life. The new roof on the deck we wanted to put on would block her views, the noise from the deck would be escalated etc etc. Seriously we were never party people, maybe entertained out there a few times a year!
Anyway we realised we would never be able to enjoy the property so we left. Now we only have neighbours on one side, huge block and total privacy. Best decision ever.
Others in the area have said she basically drove previous owners out with her whining, the people who bought off us have been there 2 years, maybe she likes them!

#48 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Wow, a few quite similar stories to ours.  Our neighbour isn't a drug user or holds parties etc, she's an old biddy but she is making life really miserable.   She calls the police constantly over really silly things, complains our bins are 5cm too close to her boundary. She is also 'known' to the council, she has complained about us daily for the last 4 yrs, the council have to follow it up but pretty much tell us we aren't doing anything wrong, she's just relentless.

So far she's called the police numerous times, the council thousands of times, she's regularly in the local pm's office, she's called the rspca on us (amounted to nothing of course because we are decent people who look after our animals), you get the picture.

Dh was playing cricket with ds in the yard and she yelled out to dh that he should be doing that in the park and then said "I'll get you" :wacko:

She tells me to 'f%&k off' when I go outside to hang out the washing, she leaves letters in my letterbox on a  weekly basis, they are long winded novels about her 'tension headaches' and how she is building a petition against us and taking us to court and calling the police and the rspca.

I just wished she'd move to a retirement village already, she seems to think we shouldn't live or make any noise at all.

Thing is we don't make much noise at all, all the kids and dh are fast asleep by 9pm, I go to bed later but I'm just sitting on EB or watching tv.  We are barely home on weekends. We don't own noisy cars, we don't hold parties, we are just a family, I don't get it but if we do move I really hope she gets some truly horrible people move in, then she'll realise we were actually quite okay.

I'm finding I am starting to not let the kids play in the front yard and am changing the way I live to try not 'bother' her but I really shouldn't have to because nothing I am doing should even be registering with her if she was a normal person with a normal life.

#49 Tigerdog

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

Not unless you know what you're moving tinot, and no-one can be 100% sure now, can they?  They'd have to be pretty shocking neighbours to make me move as you can get bad ones anywhere, it's just luck really.

Luckily our street is pretty well established, only a few rentals and as rents are quite expensive here in ACT (and real estates/landlords can be more selective due to demand for housing) you usually get people who have to work to be able to afford the rent so they aren't home all day and not partying all night and being disruptive either! (no public housing in our street but plenty in the surrounding streets - our suburb was purpose-built for public housing but all that really achieved was to create a ghetto with a lot of connecting pathways for criminals to hide!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.