Due in September 2014 Chat Thread #3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

#26 twilightangel

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Your brother sounds gorgeous and like he will be a great uncle Possum. I am so sorry to hear of what your family is going through. It must have been so wonderful for both of you to spend some time with each other yesterday. When my baby was in ICU my brother flew over to meet him and to give me a big hug, it meant so much to me to have my brother there.

As for me, I have just been plodding along. Have an ultrasound booked for Thursday. Really looking forward to seeing sprout and seeing how much he/she has grown.

I went to a friends tupperware party yesterday and got talking to the demonstrator about becoming a demonstrator myself. It sounds great, like lots of fun and flexible etc but now that I have slept on it I am concerned I am over commiting myself. I have 5 kids, 3 in school and with after school sports commitments. One we are looking at having assessed for Autism as he is really struggling at school plus I am pregnant and whilst I might feel ok now once my bumps really starts getting bigger I am sure the SPD will kick in and then I will be in a lot of pain. Now to tell the lady that ...

Oh and whilst I was at that friends I finally got a cuddle of her gorgeous little boy. I really feel uncomfortable asking so was waiting for her to offer and tonight I got to hold him whilst she was getting ready. You honestly forget how small they are.

DH and I were talking over the weekend too and have decided we arent going to move south side of Brisbane because whilst it is closer to his work, most of mine and the kids friends are here and there are DRs I trust here plus I had a really positive experience at Redcliffe hospital last time. I really dont want to be searching for a new DR whilst I am pregnant and my chances of getting into the Royal or the Mater were slim. The kids are so very happy with the decision so I think we have made the right one.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Edited by twilightangel, 18 February 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#27 Kathtan

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in a while because all the stories of losses and scary happenings were stressing me out. I promised my DH that I would not read anything until I was 12 weeks along. Well here I am. I had my 12 wk scan today. All is going well and I'm on track for the 1st of Sep.

I was talking to my BFF and she said that because the heart rate was 161 bpm then that means another boy (we already have 2 boys). I remember reading somewhere that high heart rate meant a girl. They couldn't tell in the scan today so I'll have to wait till April to find out. Does anyone know which gender a high heart rate is supposed to be?

Cheers
Kathie

#28 Perpetual Sound

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Congrats on your 12 week milestone Kathie!!

re heart rate - the girl is supposed to be higher but this is an old wives tale. DS's heart rate ranged from 115 to 170 depending on the time of day and if he was awake or not. Studies also say that there's no significant difference between boys and girls until after birth. :)

AFM - Dad told me today that I am having another boy. He is the baby oracle and has 100% accuracy in determining a baby's sex. I have a million cousins (big wog family) and he's been right with every single one - and any friends who have had bubs. In fact, I would recommend him as being more reliable than the 20 week scan lol

So this baby is probably going to be nameless for the first month of its life. We've got no ideas for another boy's name and we cant agree on anything.

Back to Uni on Monday - I've just read through all my subject outlines and its shaping up to be the most assignment heavy semester I've had yet - starting to get overwhelmed with it already...

#29 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Wow it's a bit quiet around here! Hope that means that everybody is out loving life and having too good of a time to be on EB ;-)

I got an invitation to one of my oldest friend's (ie from yr2) baby shower in the mail yesterday. It was such a nice surprise!!!
I haven't told her my news yet, but the day of the shower is when I will be 15w4d (unless I get bumped up at my 13w scan...please fingers crossed let they bump up my EDD).

So I don't know if I will be showing or not, but I kind of don't want it known on the day so the focus can be on her and her bubba to be. Maybe I can have a quiet word to her at the end and share the news, so she gets to hear it from me in person.

The same goes for my nephew's 1st bday party in a few weeks. We are hanging out til after the NT scan to be the earliest time we would tell our families, but the scan and my first antenatal appointment are the day before. I have a feeling his family will make a big deal of it (not putting them down- I'll be so happy if they are really excited) and I don't want the SIL and BIL to think I'm trying to steal any 'spotlight' off their sons day. They don't even call it a bday party, they call it 'xxxxx's day' so I guess they own the whole thing :-/

#30 Wanting#3

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

I wrote a big post earlier , but the internet died so it got deleted. Ahhhh!

Anyway I'll try to remember what I wrote!

It is quiet in here!

I have booked in at the hospital for my 12 week scan, on the 14th march, even though I'll be 12w3d. I'm excited and nervous at the same time, hoping all is well. I'm jealous of those who have already seen bubs, we only had the 12 weeks with DS and it was awesome to see a baby not a blob lol!

We have a couple of things going on in march so hopefully that will take my mind off it a bit, we are going to see 'Mrs browns boys' live. Me and dh love watching it on tv, although the tickets were very pricey over $300 each, so it better be good! Dh told me to wear a panty liner Incase I laugh so hard I wee myself, how lovely of him lol!

All good here, getting nausea here and there but not as bad as I was. Still sore boobs, and extremely tired during the afternoon.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Can't wait to see whose who do the 12w US pics! (If you decide to share)

#31 Iliketoflounce

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

It is quiet we have our second scan on Friday I will be 9w 3d

Moving has finished we just need to finish putting thing in places

#32 DecafJane

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Possum, I'm so sorry about all of your stress and challenges. It is so traumatic when somebody close to you has something terrible happen, you realise how beautiful and fragile life can be. It can be terrifying to realise that we really only have this very moment to enjoy. But it can also be freeing. It sounds like you have made some life-changing decisions based on what you want, good for you.

AFM, things are going well. We had our first scan with a heartbeat yesterday and it looks like I'm about half a week further along than I thought. It was lovely to see a little wriggling baby in there. :)

#33 PrincessOopsie

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

Hi ladies :)

Glad to hear everyone is starting to feel a bit more human. I am also starting to feel a bit better bit it comes and goes :( still taking maxolon as I'm scared to stop it. Will give it another week or two then hopefully it will be ok lol

I've decided not to have a nt scan (had one with DS cause I thought I had too. Didn't have one with dd so decided not to again) I figure I wouldn't terminate anyway and I have seen to many friends get high ratios then amnios and then have nothing be wrong. The stress alone nearly killed them.
Still feeling really tired and am in bed from 8:30 each night. Can't wait to get to the 2nd trimester lol

Xxxx

#34 Possum88

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

Thanks Ladies. my brother is truly amazing and strong willed. together with our close family were all getting through it.

It really makes you appreciate life and just how fragile we are. Its crazy to think come October were all going to have these tiny lives completely dependant on us.

I love coming on here and FB and seeing all the good news. I know life isn't always easy but it gives me hope and reminds me life is also a great pleasure and a blessing.

I have been feeling significantly better the last 3 days. although im thankful I have gotten my appetite back I worry cause im only 10 + 3 weeks.
I managed to loose 4kgs in the last 4 weeks. not ideal but I have eaten my weight and more this morning in bread!

DP has been so much better the last 2 weeks :) im so greatful for his help and understanding.

I have my appointment next week for bloods and then the NT scan the following week. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope everyone is well today. were almost there FRIDAY!!!

Edited by Possum88, 20 February 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#35 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

I love your positive attitude, Possum :-)

Urgh today I wussed out and took a sick day. The last two nights I've had dreadful sleep, hardly any at all. Couldn't get comfortable and felt like my throat was bulging into the back of my mouth. Yuk. I didn't take my Maxolon this morning, to see how I went. Yeah I think I can't give it up yet :-(

But I saw that last nights episode of One Born Every Minute was on SBS on demand so I just watched that...

Stupid question- with the weight gain charts, if we lose weight from sickness in the first tri do the estimations plot future gain from our lowest weight or are we supposed to catch up to where we were at the start of the pregnancy?

#36 twilightangel

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Had my scan this morning, got to see a beautiful heartbeat of 165bpm and sprout was moving around on the screen. At the last scan they measured sprout 4 days ahead so I adjusted my due date and now today he/she is 2 days behind that adjusted due date. So confusing. DH got to come to this scanwhich was lovely and I had a student sonographer do it and she was just lovely, making sure I could see the screen and pointing out the heartbeat and asking if we could see baby moving.

Aside for the headaches I have been starting to feel a little better. I am please to hear that that is happening for some of you lovely ladies too. I am also looking forward to getting to see scan pics from those who want to share.

I am not sure about the weight gain Koala, sorry. My DR in Perth was never too worried about weigh gain and Ive come to expect that sadly I will gain 20kg in pregnancy. It is just what my body does. Hope someone else can answer it for you though.

#37 Iliketoflounce

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

Twilight our new DR he said that the really early scans can be wrong with the dates but not to worried

#38 elemeno

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Koala, that will not be my problem re weight gain. I have always been such a careful, healthy eater but now the second I feel sick I eat carbs as it makes me feel better. I'm eating like one very hungry man right now :(

Edited by elemeno, 20 February 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#39 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Me too....but it goes: feel sick, eat something (feel better while eating), finish eating....feel sick again :-(

#40 Emily of New Moon

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Evening ladies! I've been away from this thread because it was a bit difficult for me to hear about the losses. I guess it  just took me back to my own loss last year and it made me even more worried about this pregnancy. So I banned myself from here for a little while.

But I'll be 12 weeks tomorrow and I had my nt scan today! The risks for the three trisomies were all higher than in my first pregnancy but l guess I am three years older. I'm still happy with the risk results and won't be having any further testing. Was also great to see the little one wriggling around in there :)

#41 CC2014

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Hi All,
I've been quiet on here too. Sounds like everyone is ticking along and just waiting for the 12 wk mark like me :S

Nearly there!!!

Possum88- your brother sounds like an amazing and strong person.

I am going away tonight with 3 friends- and none of them know yet! one of them has a 5 week old baby and the other 2 have no children yet- I am going to try and keep it under wraps but will see how I go.

I have my blood tests next Fri and the NT scan on the 7th (2 more weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)- I am 9w + 5 currently

have a lovely day and enjoy your weekends
CC

#42 heatherdv

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hi ladies!

Hope everyone is doing well :)

Had my first OB appointment today, she's really lovely.  She did a little scan of the bub for me, it was so great to see a visual with a little flickering heartbeat.  Measuring 3cm so on track for 23rd due date.

OB took my weight and I mentioned I have been trying to get up above 60kg (I'm 174cm so am slightly underweight).  After the scan I told her I've been craving sweet foods and asked her jokingly "does that mean anything?".  "Yes" she said "it does".  "It means you will be hitting that 60kg mark sooner"  LOL

Welcome back to the 12 week ladies.  Can totally understand the m/c fears, sadly we have had quite a lot of loss in this DIG.  Fx its lots of good news from now on.

#43 twilightangel

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

It's very quiet in here. Hope everyone's well.

I went to the GP yesterday to discuss the results from my ultrasound. Discovered I have a subchoronic bleed which has gotten smaller between the 2 scans. The GP said the fact it is getting smaller is good news. I have to have another scan next week to check that it has continued to decrease in size. At least I know why I am occasionally spotting.

Looking forward to seeing sprout again. My belly is really starting to show in the afternoons now. I honestly think some of my friends might be suspicious that I'm expecting.

#44 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

Good news on the reduced bleeding, twilight! Hope your scan goes well next week.

Welcome to 12 weeks today for me- even though I woke up with a terrible headache (it's still here....) and coughed the wrong way this morning and started stomach convulsions....leading to dry heaving an empty stomach up into the toilet :(

#45 Perpetual Sound

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Its so good to see so many of us reaching the 12 week mark now :) I cant wait to get there myself - I just want to have another scan to see baby as an actual baby and not just a blob :)

Anyone got any ideas for boys names? We havent got a clue. Though the middle name will be Miles after DP's grandfather.

Soooo..... crazy ol EB eh - 405 posts about whether we should or shouldn't put our seat back on a flight... :shrug: :whistle:

#46 twilightangel

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:58 AM

KoalaTeeTime - Yay to 12 weeks. Hope the headaches and sickness start easing.

Perpectual_sound - Boys names are so hard. DH and I have always struggled. What about Fredrick, Nicholas or Sebastian. Thank you for your opinion in my names thread. Can't believe how many negatives I got towards my girls name. Trying to remind myself though that EB hates the name Addison too yet most people I met tell me they love her name. I do know I'm going to upset my family though as if Keilan was a girl he would have been Mackenzie and they loved that name as it is a feminine form of my maiden name. I still like it but I know have 2 friends with daughters named that and DH and I try to avoid using names of kids we know. This naming business is so hard.

I'm off to Ikea today with 2 friends. Really looking forward to it :) hope everyone else has a lovely day.

#47 twilightangel

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

Yes I agree, EB can get a little crazy on some topics.

#48 Perpetual Sound

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Twilight - I really do love your girls name - I remember the name from a character on Grey's Anatomy and I remember loving it then - Its unusual but sounds classic at the same time.

As for boys for us - Fredrick is actually a family name on DP's side that we had been considering - though I love Freddie, I dont particularly like the full names that go along with Freddie - dunno - can you have just Freddie as a name? The only other two names we were able to come up with last night were Franklin Miles, or Jenner Miles.
Unfortunately Nicholas and Sebastian are out due to cousins recently having babies with those names.
That presents a problem in itself - I have 28 first cousins and so far in the last 8 years we have managed to pop out 19 bubs among us... so A LOT of names are taken!!

Unfortunately I think running names you love by EB are bound to be shot down by a large number of people... I think it can be just as risky as telling your parents the names early.... until bub is born, everyone's a critic - then once bub is here the name suddenly becomes the best idea ever. (Except Pilot Inspektor - WTF was Jason Lee and DP thinking!!??)

ETA - Have fun at Ikea!! I love Ikea - petty the closest one from me is 2000km away. mmmmm horsemeat swedish meatballs....mmmmm hehe

Edited by perpectual_sound, 26 February 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#49 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Congratulations to everyone who's made it to the 12 week mark already! Yay! Does that mean you've started telling people yet? How are you announcing?

I'm a couple of days away still, but waiting on the results of the harmony test and then have to wait until 13 weeks for my '12week' scan. I'm thinking that I might start telling people after the scan, but not sure yet. I took on a big project at work before I knew I was pregnant and now I'm going to be on maternity leave a couple of months before the end. Makes me a bit hesitant about telling them in particular.

BTW is anyone else following the fruit comparison thing. I've done a lousy job of describing that huh! Comparing the size of the baby to the size of fruit. We're up to a plum this week. Bit scary to look too many weeks ahead! Anyway, though I don't think I will start showing for at least the next couple of weeks, I really needed some new work pants and so made the big decision to get some maternity ones. Not sure if I'm a sucker (since others tell me they never needed to buy any maternity wear throughout their pregnancy) but they were on special and so cheaper than what I usually spend on normal work pants. Anyway, just can't believe how amazingly comfy they are!!!

Edited by Neuron jockey, 26 February 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#50 Musefan2010

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

Neuron Jockey - I have 2 different apps (one US one Aus) that do the fruit/veg comparison thing.
This week bub is either a prune or a kumquat, neither of which sounds terribly appealing!!! Last weeks cherry was much nicer :-)

Perpectual - I'm with you on the crazy EB threads. Not only is there a ridiculous amount of comments on that topic, they're all alarmingly heated! I guess I just don't fly often enough to really care either way.

Choosing a baby name is going to be an interesting challenge for DH and I. Fortunately neither of us like alternative spellings for names, and we're definitely not into making up new names. So it will be a standard, if old fashioned name for us. I think we already have a boy name sorted, and I have a girl name I want but would have to convince DH (apparently it could be 'hard to spell' - WTF? You'd figure it out pretty quickly! lol)

I haven't really been posting on here for a while, more active on FB.
In all honesty I'm just trying to avoid doing any work this morning!

I still feel vile, if anything the m/s has actually gotten worse in the last week. I'm hoping this is as bad as it gets, and then it will start getting better (FX!!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.