Nauseas! What do to?

31 replies to this topic

#1 CassieC

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

Hi ladies,

I'm from Sydney, NB and I'm 7 weeks pregnant with 1st baby. I'm experiencing some mild nauseas and it is worse at evenings until I go to bed.

This has been TERRIBLE as I'm finding hard to go to work, to go to any social events and to do any exercise.

I have tried all the tricks like: smell limes, eat a cracker before you get up in the morning, eat some snacks regularly, etc.... but NOTHING seems to work for me.

I really need some HELP!!!!! How are you feeling and what your are doing?????

#2 Perpetual Sound

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

A lot of my friends swear by having something ginger (like the sea sickness tablets, or ginger beer, or ginger and lemongrass tea) but this does not work for me personally.

I havent given it a try as yet (mostly because I just havent been able to get to the shops), but for my first pregnancy I alternated between having Chuppa chups (when I absolutely couldnt keep anything down), and bags of pretzels when I could eat.

If you are really sick, you can ask your GP for a prescription for Maxalon which is an anti nausea medication.

Good luck OP!

#3 Iliketoflounce

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

All I have been able to do is drink Ginger beer or ginger tea

#4 Ellie bean

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

Not in this DIG but just wanted to say, if it's really bad and Macklin doesn't work, you can get a medication called zofran. Also it might be a good idea to check your iron levels. Hope you feel better soon.

#5 bindy30

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

I am been taking blackmores morning sickness tablets they have vitamin B and ginger in them. They seem to help a bit.  Another thing I found was taking pregnancy vitamins like Elevit first thing in the morning with breakfast also made me feel worse.

#6 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

I too suffer from bad nausea, and I find if I eat a protein meal soon before bed it makes my mornings a bit more bearable. Haven't found anything that works for the PM though....spent my commute home from work feeling like I was dying :'-(

#7 M!ssy

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

It's yet to hit me this time, but my last pregnancy I found chewing gum between meals really helped my nausea.

#8 PrincessOopsie

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Ginger ale helps and dry biscuits like saos
But in all honesty get some maxolon! No need to be a hero you'll feel 10 x better and if it's really bad zofran is the shizz but it it uber expensive ( it's a drug they give to chemo patients so it's very effective!)

Edited by PrincessOopsie, 22 January 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#9 madefromscratch

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Hope it passes soon CassieC, congratulations on your pregnancy.

I had rotten nausea and something to suck really helped me.  Lifesavers were my 'lifesaver' especially at work where crackers or ginger would have been a giveaway.

Mine disappeared at 9+1 and after that I only had a few random attacks.

Oh, and I used a gel toothpaste with mouthwash and made sure I'd drunk some water before, and switched to a kids toothbrush - all of that stopped me from throwing up mid-brush.  My other tip is to take your vitamins with a smoothie/juice/cordial but ideally a milk drink and definitely not water - before I cottoned onto this I was sometimes having 3 goes at my vitamins.

#10 Glowworm80

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

It's the worst!! Zofran is great, I had hypermesis gravidarium so was taking the zofran and also restavit. Restavit also helps with sleeping:-) The only things that really helped me besides medication were frozen things. So frozen raspberry Lipton ice tea, icy poles especially if a bit sour were great, otherwise crushed ice and a sliced lemon in a tall glass with a bit of water. Hope you feel better soon!

#11 Sunshine Mumma

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

As weird as this sounds Dare Iced Coffee!!

#12 CassieC

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thanks very much lovely ladies!! I will try all of these.

#13 crazilysane

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

I am 7 weeks with my third pregnancy ATM and from experience being easy on yourself and just gritting your teeth and getting through it for the next couple of weeks.  It feels like it will never end, but it does. Suck on something, and protein foods helps me.

#14 Sunshine Mumma

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

CassieC -  Any luck????

#15 CassieC

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostSunshine Mumma, on 24 January 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

CassieC -  Any luck????
Thanks for asking. Ginger stuff is working for me - I bought blackmores morning sickness capsulas and ginger beer (it has a horrible taste, but I'm happy to drink it if keeps working).

Edited by CassieC, 25 January 2014 - 10:55 AM.

#16 Holidayromp

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

Are you taking pregnancy vitamins?  Sometimes the wrong product can cause unwarranted nausea.

If all you can keep down is ginger beer then just drink that - however seek advice from your caregiver because there are products that can help.

#17 heatherdv

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Icecubes, little sweet lollies, dry salty biscuits, mineral water (just plain), fresh air on your face (like a fan).  And like OP said eating protein always helped my ms.  

Good luck, i get lots of nausea from motion sickness, it sux :(

#18 PrincessOopsie

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

All my usual tricks aren't working for me at the moment. Maxolon is just taking the edge off but it's still there :/   Blahhhhh

#19 Iliketoflounce

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

I found icy poles worked well

#20 cbmum

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

larry lemonades and accupuncture

#21 ItsTheSimpleThings

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Fruit tingles!

#22 M!ssy

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Don't know if it was a fluke, but I drank a hydralite before bed and during the night and feel much better today, not 100% but atleast I can get off the lounge!

#23 Perpetual Sound

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm practically living off hydrolyte icepoles at the moment - as soon as I have a wave of nausea they provide instant relief. Food just isnt working :( How the hell am I supposed to stack on the kilos if I cant keep anything down!? :(

#24 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

I can't wait to get big, but I've lost 5kg so far because I haven't been able to eat :(
my Dr was like "don't worry if you don't eat anything in the first trimester"....that doesn't sound healthy to me!!!

#25 Perpetual Sound

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Yeah 5kg is a lot to lose - especially if you dont have much to lose in the first place! Last pregnancy I had only put on what my baby, placenta etc weighed and so the OB was really worried about me having a low birth weight baby. The heaviest I got at 40+10 was 48kg!

I was really hoping to get a head start this time round and stack on the kgs before I started being sick.... the morning I got my BFP I vomited up breakfast :( Not the start I was hoping for....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.