Mirena with pregnancy symptoms...?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Especially*K*

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

I've had the Mirena in since August 2010 and all has been perfect.

But lately, OMG, things feel off, like I am pregnant!
- I've got a constant bloated feel/look, which I was like just before I took a test DS.
- I'm very tired and could sleep the day away and can't stop eating.
- My boobs, they are so so tender and sore. They feel very hard also and sometimes I get that 'full' feeling like when I breast fed. No milk comes out but last night I did notice dry white things on my nipples that looked like dried milk.
- I keep feeling butterflies In my tummy, almost like little baby kicks.
- I am very crampy and emotional, I cried when I thought I'd buggered the spag Bol. I thought the mince tasted funny but DP it was the best one ever.

Has anyone experienced this?

Edited by Especially*K*, 12 January 2014 - 11:25 PM.

#2 IamAuntyA

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

You can get pregnant on the mirena.

If I was you I would do a pregnancy test right away. If it is negative I would be making an appointment with the Dr.

When I had mine I had symptoms of being pregnant but it was actually my body rejecting it. (I only had it for 10 months though)

#3 PrincessOopsie

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

Getting the mirena was one of my biggest regrets ever.
I am pretty sure I got pregnant briefly the month after I had it put in. I missed my period and got a very faint positive on a hpt that disappeared the next day. My period came a few days later.

I still got my period every month, my mood swings were uncontrollable! I was bloated and headachey! And then to top it off when i'd had enough and went to get it removed they couldn't find the string ( my vajayjay ate it!!) I had to have a general to remove it!! Never again!!

#4 ChalkDust

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

Take a pregnancy test. The hormones in birth control can give pregnancy type symptoms, especially after you first start taking them/have it implanted as your body is flooded with the hormones and adjusts to it. Only one way to find out, though, take a pregnancy test.

Edited by ChalkDust, 13 January 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#5 eachschoolholidays

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

Just take a pregnancy test?

#6 Bess Marvin

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Adding to the chorus, pee on a stick. Then you'll know :)

#7 Holidayromp

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

The idea of birth control is to trick your body into thinking that it is pregnant.

I would take a test to be sure but one thing I have noticed is the high pregnancy rate with the mirena in.

If you are not I would seriously look at other methods as it looks like your body is rejecting it.

#8 Especially*K*

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

This isnt one of those 'am i pregnant' threads, more of a 'is this normal, is it common, have others had the symptoms but not been pregnant' thread. Yes of course, I will pee on a stick.

As I said, i've had this in for almost 3.5yrs now with no hitch. A couple of months ago at my last pap smear the doc said she couldnt see the strings but an ultrasound showed it was still in place.

#9 mumoftwo2

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

I also had a terrible time with my Mirena.

One month after I got it in, I started getting breast pain, I was bloated and just felt yuck. I got it out 6 months later and the breast pain ceased and I went back to feeling fine almost immediately.
Took a while for my periods to go back to normal, but with a bit of acupuncture they did.

I would do a pregnancy test and then if negative, talk to your doctor about another form of birth control. Could be your body trying to tell you something.

#10 BetteBoop

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

Yes, I get pregnancy symptoms some of the time. Mostly sore boobs.

Having the device in your uterus tricks the body into thinking it's pregnant.

That's part of the reason why Mirena's chemical release is the lowest of any contraceptive. It doesn't rely on chemicals as much as the pill.

#11 Bluestocking

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

I ended up with pregnancy symptoms on mirena. Mostly bloating and needing to pee at night. Turned out I had a 6cm cyst. Pee on a stick and if that is negative, go visit your gyno to check all is ok. I've been told no more mirenas as that is what caused the cyst.

#12 Especially*K*

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

BetteBoop, on 13 January 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Yes, I get pregnancy symptoms some of the time. Mostly sore boobs.

How long do your symptoms last for? How often do they come?

If I knew they didnt last long I could possibly put up with it but if they come back frequently for a week at a time i'll be getting out. I feel so run down and that yucky hung over feeling with a bloated gut today.

#13 BetteBoop

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

I've been on it for 18 months.

Maybe very 3 months I get very sore boobs for a week. There are other symptoms I could call pregnancy symptoms, like changes in urination frequency or hunger that come and goes.

But I was like that off Mirena too. I took pg tests every few months when DH and I were only relying on condoms. I assume my natural cycle is responsible for these changes, not just Mirena.

But we're all individuals and our bodies change over time.

Why don't you keep a journal of symptoms for a month or two? See if you can notice trends I symptoms and if they're cyclical or random.

#14 jacki

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

I would take a test also. I was a mess with a Mirena in for about the same time as you, culminating in a pregnancy 11 months ago. I'm curreny sitting on the couch with little "Mirena" - 8 wks.

#15 mum.of.2.boys

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

Hi there, did you end up being pregnant? I've had the merina two 3.5 years... a bit concerned.. rhi

#16 Katzilla

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

I have had my Mirena for over two years, I have a four year old daughter already and I'm noticing a few things...
1. My boobs were deflated after breastfeeding and now they are getting more firm and have sensitivity.
2. Gas... lots of it.
3. I keep getting incredibly dizzy.
4. Cramps, haven't had a period in years and now this...
5. Flutter? Maybe? Could be gas...
6. B*tch mode is instantly activated.
7. My skin now produces oil... I'm thinking it's my new vitamins...

I took a pregnancy test a week ago, I'd be 5-6 weeks right now if I am. But tests have been negative... I'm freaking out. Could anyone help? Did anyone get pregnant with the Mirena and have a negative on every test? I'm currently trying to find a new gyno...

#17 zaynes_mom

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

I've have my mirena 4.5 years and I've have started experiencing breast tenderness  bloating abdominal cramps fluttering in my belly fatigue and I've been nauseous lots of mood swings but negative pregnancy tests but these feeling haven't always been there? Has anyone been pregnant on mirena and had false negative?

#18 Especially*K*

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

Just to answer the two PP's above. I took home tests, went to docs to get bloods and all negative. Symptoms went and didnt return til just recently but have now gone again after a couple of days.

#19 arlenec

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

Especially K - to answer your question, I'm mum of two and had Mirena inserted after last pregnancy in June 2012.  By the end of that year I had gone for an ultrasound complaining about lumpiness in the abdomen and since then felt pregnant from time to time, yet every pee test is negative.
Tummy is now swollen and I'm going for ultrasound again.  I get kicks, butterflies in various spots and movement sensation under the ribs and belly.  Have been getting headaches (which I started to get on Triquillar ED before I went off it to fall pregnant) which are reduced by drinking water.  Seems to have gotten worse after ceasing breastfeeding two months ago.  Breasts are bit more swollen.
Even had a CT scan twelve months ago with no finding!  Was told I was probably feeling my own bowel motions (i'm on the skinny side) or I was feeling a muscle!  Relieved that someone else is having symptoms of pregnancy without apparently being pregnant.  I had started convincing myself it is a 'false' pregnancy and all in the brain (they don't know what causes false pregnancy btw!)  I'll consider removing Mirena if ultra sound show nothing (as expected) though it has been convenient. Cheers all.

#20 arlenec

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:54 AM

Ultrasounds clear. Mirena out.  Two days on, pains under ribs gone, dizziness subsided, abdomen softer, reduced movement effects.  Some food allergies did add to underlying swelling, but can pull in stomach muscles and not feel like there is something foreign (just fat!).  Some sit ups might work now.  Still have little way to go. Still some nausea.  Was it side effects of hormones or allergy - bit of both?  Not looking forward to sorting contraceptive but figure mini pill at right dose for me (so I can stop it immed if symptoms return). If this turns out to be some temporary reprieve, will check back in.  Thank you all for your postings on this issue.  No-one mentions 'kicking baby' symptoms on the back of hormone packs!

#21 halifaxmom2010

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

i have had mirena for 2 yrs now and have had my period every month but I am now a couple days late and having pregnancy symptoms and am freaking out .I have had all these symptoms before and haven't been pregnant .but im still freaking out and I am wondering if anyone else has had there period just stop after a while of having mirena .

#22 megsy28

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:33 AM

I have had mirena for 2.5 years and never missed a period. Now 11 days late and three negative tests. Experiencing fatigue, sore breasts and very emotional. Unable to get into my GP as he's away. Has anyone fallen pregnant with Mirena? Freaking out right now 😫

Edited by megsy28, 08 December 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#23 SlimBonee

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

Yes I've had the mirena for 6 months. I've had pregnant scare almost every month, ( I should have took it as a warning). I took a test had a faded line. Even went back to the store and brought 5 more packs!! Now  I'm 10 weeks pregnant, With nausea , Headache, fatigue,  and the true feeling of being pregnant. Not a lot of symptoms but enough. I've also developed a cyst on my right-side. The pregnancy in not ectopic. it is in the uterus, My birth control has been taking out successfully. However this will be my fourth child . I have a 10 month old, a 2year old, and a 4 year old. Im not trying to scare anybody but im also carrying twins!! my doctor said he has never in his whole 28 years ever heard of someone having twins while on birth control!!.If you are scared please check!!

#24 jenz86

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

Yes, I'm having the same issue. I've had my mirena since May 2011 and my period stopped completely after about 3-4months. Which was awesome compared to 12days straight bleeding. The last say 3months I've been getting pms symptoms (pimples, cravings, moods) followed a few days later by a single spotting episode for one day and it's all over. This time round, no spotting followed after. However symptoms have been running rampant. Sore boobs, exhausted all the time then insomnia almost at night no matter how tired I am, moody - she devil even!, hungry ALL the time and that's not like me at all, itchy skin, pimple riddled skin and darkened nipples. I'm on warfarin nd have ruled that out as a cause, I'm just curious, and can't find any answers even from drs, to say whether mirena loses potency over time? What ever happened as a result  Especially K?

#25 fesha

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:02 AM

Jenz86 I'm experiencing the same symptoms. I got mirena put in Dec 2011. A couple weeks ago I took a preg test and it was negative but based on the time frame I last had sex if I were pregnant I would have only been maybe 3 weeks. I'm going to be taking another one in the next couple days. I never get my period with Mirena. Once in a while I spot and I still get pms symptoms every month but the last 4 weeks or so my pms symptoms haven't really subsided like they normally do. I am also curious if Mirena can lose potency after time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.