are wipes really necessary?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 maryanneK

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

This might sound like a weird question but I'm just wondering if you always need to use nappy wipes....I use MCNs which have a thin fleece type lining and towelling type inserts. The wetness gets wicked through the lining part and into the inner insert so its not really wet cloth against my DDs skin. When I've changed them recently I havent bothered with nappy wipes as there is nothing to 'wipe' away, if that makes sense. I wipe over her skin with a dry part of the nappy but there's no wetness on her skin. So I'm wondering if there's any reason to use a wet wipe on her? Obviously with pooey nappies you need to and occasionally on a really wet one or where she's obviously got wee everywhere. But am I missing something about wiping when I change a normal wet nappy when as far as I can tell she's perfectly clean and dry? :ninja:

#2 HGL

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

I think, and I have no formal science/nursing education, urea (ammonia) is left behind on the skin after a wee. So even though the skin is dry, the urea left behind can lead to irritation. Hence why you should still use a wipe ( or cloth wipe or cotton wool).

Edited by HGL, 03 January 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#3 laridae

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Wet your pants, change your undies but don't have a wash.  See what happens.

Dried wee is itchy!

#4 libbylu

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I never bother to wipe unless there is poo. He is bathed daily and isn't prone to nappy rash (nappies changed regularly) so I don't think a bit of urine dried on the skin really causes any harm.  I mean, we don't wipe our own nether regions with wet wipes do we?

ETA I find that using wipes more often results in more rash because it wets the area and creases too much, then I have to use more cream and it just results in a longer process when it's extremely hard to keep him on the table for more than 2 seconds.

Edited by libbylu, 03 January 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#5 littlepoppet

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I use disposables and tend not to use wipes when their little bots look dry enough.

#6 twirling

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

even though it is dried the skin ahs had contact, lots of, with urine. we clean at evey change but just use face cloths wet with water.

#7 greenthumbs

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

libbylu, on 03 January 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

I never bother to wipe unless there is poo. He is bathed daily and isn't prone to nappy rash (nappies changed regularly) so I don't think a bit of urine dried on the skin really causes any harm.  I mean, we don't wipe our own nether regions with wet wipes do we?

Same. I would use washers if DS was at all sensitive, but he isn't so I often don't bother. First mornings change, poo change or super wet he's been in for too long, I use a wipe, but that's it. This is with disposables use, I can't remember what I did when using cloth, but probably similar.

#8 Cuddlesnkisses

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

I use MCNs and don't use wipes unless she has poo'd

#9 SnazzyFeral

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

We also don't regularly sit in a puddle of our own wee either. I use a wipe.

#10 laridae

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

libbylu, on 03 January 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

I mean, we don't wipe our own nether regions with wet wipes do we?

I personally don't wee into my underpants.  I wee straight into the toilet, so the wee doesn't sit on my skin. Babies wee into a nappy, so the wee does sit on their skin.

#11 (feral)epg

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Generally at home I use a wet cloth, then dry the area with a flannel.
If I'm out and she feels dry I'll just change the nappy.  I think some dried wee residue is better than wet wipe residue.  Whatever the reason I certainly haven't noticed any nappy rash when I haven't used a wipe.

#12 hills mum bec

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

My DD is 2.5 & the only time I have ever used wipes is first nappy change in the morning & if she has pooed.  We use disposables & she has never had nappy rash.

#13 Sheep

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

I don't bother unless there is poo. My son gets a little exzema and his doctor told me not to bother wiping unless there was poo, the wipes can aggravate the skin too.

#14 Expelliarmus

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

With the fleece liner the urine isn't ON her skin.

OP, when I was using fleece liners I rarely wiped a wet one. I only wiped if it was so soggy the baby wasn't actually dry.

#15 ~Supernova~

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:37 AM

No wipes unless there's a poo here either. And no issue with nappy rash.

#16 maryanneK

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

thanks. yes I suppose it was some kind of  dried up wee on her skin that I was wondering about wiping off, now that I think about it...She's not sitting in a wet nappy as PPs have said, all that moisture is in the insert which is why her bum is usually dry. She doesnt have any nappy rash or irritation at all and we bath her every day. I reckon that's clean enough...

#17 niggles

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I think your approach is fine, especially with a well lined modern cloth nappy.

#18 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

I never ever wiped unless there was poo. The fleece leaves the skin so dry and clean, most of the time even the fleece feels dry. We never suffered with rashes or anything. A daily bath was enough here.

#19 PippiSea

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hi to You!

Umm well I did...I used wipes and a washer with water depending where I was.  If you consider would you not wipe yourself after going to the toilet with toilet paper?  If you wouldn't then fair go, if you do then I would wipe your little one.  Saves skin irritation etc anyway.

Remember, you will only ever do what you feel is right for you anyway.

Cheers from PippiSea
[join me on my blog - www.pippisea.com or on Essential Baby - PippiSea blog]!

Edited by PippiSea, 04 January 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#20 Lightning_bug

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

I think you can tell when it's necessary.

Some times I will, because her bottom is damp and you know that the nappy hasn't drawn all the wee away.

Other times the nappy has drawn the wee so there's been no irritation and the skin is dry.

Sometimes.  As need be.  But not always.

#21 JomoMum

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

For wees I just use those little round Swisspers make up removal pads. I keep a little bowl of water under the table and just dip the edge of it in to wipe him clean.

For poos I use Huggies wipes, but then finish with a damp swissper as well. He has sensitive skin and I don't particularly like the wipes (they're just so good as getting rid of poo lol). And I reckon they'd strip paint off walls, I don't want to leave those chemicals on his little bot.

We use sposies too.

#22 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Never used a wipe for just for pee only for pooh. Never had any issues with any of my 3. They never even really had nappy rash.

#23 Mummy_Em

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

I don't use wipes for wee and have never had issues with nappy rash with my two. Probably TMI, but I don't always use TP to blot after a wee either. I find the paper a bit irritating.

#24 CallMeFeral

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

I had never even realised that people used wipes just for wee nappies. I had always assumed it was only a poo nappy thing!

No nappy rash issues here except poo-related ones (i.e. teething poo)

#25 maryanneK

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

CallMeProtart, on 05 January 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

I had never even realised that people used wipes just for wee nappies. I had always assumed it was only a poo nappy thing!

No nappy rash issues here except poo-related ones (i.e. teething poo)

what on earth is teething poo?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.