Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Silver!

#4 Gemcat

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Bronze!

#5 ellie bb

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

hi ladies!

going for my glucose test next week. was wondering if anyone is going for it soon and if they have been told to avoid eating and/drinking for a period of time before the test?

Over 25 weeks now so weeks are going by nicely! i feel pretty big and clumpy but i guess i better get used to it as its only going to get worse!!

anyone have any cravings? so far none for me! last time it was lemon cordial :)

hope everyone is well x

#6 mumma nicsta

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Hi ellie bb,

good to hear your going well! Im booked in for my GTT 2 hr test at 26w, and my instructions from the pathology place was to not eat from midnight and can drink lots of water though- my booking is 8am! nice and early! So i'd say the general fast time is 8hrs if you have been told you need to fast...

I haven't had any cravings so far .... a little disappointed but i spose thats a good thing!

take care everyone!

#7 suline

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi all, just over 25 weeks today!
I had an episode of bleeding last week, well its was just old brown loss, nothing like fresh blood. It lasted about 2 days, and it wasn't heavy, just there when I wiped.

I called my midwife, and then called the maternal-fetal assessment unit at KEMH and both of them were happy that because it was old blood, and wasn't getting worse I didn't need any monitoring or a checkup. I was a bit stressed for 24 hours, but I was rewarded with some good strong movements and a couple of strong kicks I could feel on the outside of my belly.

I did notice that a few days after this happened I had 2 really busy stressful shifts at work, and walking really fast set of a fe minutes of what I think are braxton hicks/tightenings. They were a bit uncomfortable, and certainly not regular, so definitely not preterm labour or anything. Work said I can drop down from 12hr to 8 hr shifts if I want, but I don't like that idea much, it means I have to turn up for work 5 days a week not 3!!! lol.

I have my GTT due in a couple of weeks. I am nervous because I am old and fat. If I come back positive then I think I am risked out of the home birth program.

#8 EileenAli

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi ladies,

I have been stalking the board, but didn't really dare join in properly as I just didn't want to let myself get too attached to this pregnancy in case we miscarried.....as it took us 5 years to get DS, but I think at nearly 24 weeks I am starting to believe that this little miracle is really happening!

We had our morphology scan at 20 weeks and it was so amazing seeing bub, and everything looks great!

I am having my second 2 hour blood glucose test on Tuesday, as I have PCOS they check me at 12 and 24 weeks.....and with my DS they tested me 4 times!  Luckily I never got GD and I hope I don't get it this time, as I have not been as careful with my diet as last time!  

Suline, we r also enrolled in the homebirth scheme here!  We had DS at the birthing centre, but this time I am really convinced that I can do this at home, and I feel really excited about it!  I don't know anyone else who has/is having a homebirth.  For this reason we r not telling anyone except close family as I know friends around us will think we r mad and give us a lot of negative judgments that I just don't need.

N@K, with my DS I used hypnobabies home study program to prepare for my birth and it was really amazing.  Not perfect, but totally drug free and manageable....so I don't think u r mad at all to look forward to the labour because I am too! :)

Someone also talked about cloth nappies before, I have used mcns for my DS since he was about 6-8weeks old, and he is now 20 months!  It takes some time to get the hang of it and also find the brands u like, but I love cloth now and hope to use cloth from birth for this baby too!

Anyway, good luck everyone with the upcoming GTTs.

#9 sheilasmith

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostEileenAli, on 23 November 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

I have been stalking the board, but didn't really dare join in properly as I just didn't want to let myself get too attached to this pregnancy in case we miscarried.....as it took us 5 years to get DS, but I think at nearly 24 weeks I am starting to believe that this little miracle is really happening!

We had our morphology scan at 20 weeks and it was so amazing seeing bub, and everything looks great!

What great news, congratulations - welcome!!

#10 She's Crafty

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostEileenAli, on 23 November 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

but I think at nearly 24 weeks I am starting to believe that this little miracle is really happening!

Yup.  I'd say that you're having a baby.  Congratulations!  It can take some time to sink in, especially if the journey there has been a harrowing one.

Welcome!

#11 N@K

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

Ellie bb - It depends which glucose test you're having.
If it's the one hour test, then there's no fasting / eating requirements involved.
If it's the two hour one, there are things involved.
If you're not sure just ring the pathology centre or your Dr :smile:

No cravings here.

Mumma Nic - good luck with your GTT test.

Suline - sorry you had a bleeding episode, but glad nothing in wrong.
Sounds like the overwork might have been the culprite.
Haha, I wouldn't want to work 5days if I had a choice either! Maybe just take it easier when you are working - if that's an option :smile:

Good luck with your GTT.

Eileen - welcome to the thread :smile: , good luck with your second GTT.
I'm glad I'm not the only one looking forward to labour, hehe :smile:

AFM - I'm going really well, just plodding along and getting a bit bigger every week :smile:
ALL my christmas shopping is complete as of yesterday (not all wrapped though - I'm still waiting on some deliveries). I feel SO much better now that it's all done, lol!

FYI - Jeanswest are having a 40% off sale at the moment, and they do have some good maternity stuff, but I've also found a lot of their normal clothes are really good for the bump fitting too.
I guess I can count us lucky that we've got pg when free-fitting / flowy tops are in, lol! (I'm not usually a fan of this style, but it makes finding cheaper maternity options a breeze, lol)

#12 She's Crafty

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

You reminded me that I have been wanting to check out Jeans West.  I went to go into the store on Saturday but DS, 22 months, is a true male who stomped his foot at the entrance and said 'shopping, NO!'

Thank heavens for the internet!

#13 MegzG

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

i've got my 2hr glucose test booked in for 28 weeks, i was told to fast for 10 hrs, and go in when they open at 8am so i get the first appointment, no bookings at this path place.
also have to pick up my Anti-D shot to take to my ob to be given the same day.

#14 sheilasmith

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostMegzG, on 25 November 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

i've got my 2hr glucose test booked in for 28 weeks, i was told to fast for 10 hrs, and go in when they open at 8am so i get the first appointment, no bookings at this path place.
also have to pick up my Anti-D shot to take to my ob to be given the same day.

When you say 2hr glucose test, do you mean you've gotta wait for 2hrs after taking the sugary drink? I was at my midwife appt today and she told me I'd need to wait for an hour.....so now, I'm confused....

I've also got to get an Anti-D shot the day after my glucose test, not really looking forward to it but I guess it's gotta be done....

#15 wally_23

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

hbmm- when I did the 2hr GTT in previous pregnancies you get the initial blood test, drink the stuff, blood test at 1hr mark and another at 2hrs. I think the rules have changed now and some Drs will let you just do the 1hr test, but if you test high for that you have to come back again and do the 2hr test. I don't have to do any as I was diagnosed with GDM at only 4wks :( I have an appt this week with the diabetes clinic but it looks like I'm about to start insulin injections.

Also don't have to have the anti-D as I already have the bad antibodies it protects you from :( Can't win.

How's everyone going with braxton hicks? Mine have fully kicked in again. I have a history of an irritable uterus which just means I get lots of BH regularly which means lots of false scares. I hope we don't this time.  I am really really hoping to get to 36wks. :pray:

I've been a bit stressed the past few days. Baby hasn't been moving much. I do all the things they tell you to when you haven't felt bub for a while and sometimes its a couple of hours but then I feel a few kicks. Woke this morning to lots of activity from baby so I think he may have been facing my back and kicking where I couldn't feel it. Being pregnant is such a scary time sometimes.

Sorry rambling again. Hope everyone is well

#16 N@K

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

She's Crafty - Glad to have reminded you. I love Jeanswest, and I love shopping online with them :smile:
I like the fact that if you order something and it doesn't work for you, you can just take it into a store to return, so don't have to bother with re-posting it or anything.
LOL, your DS sounds so cute!

MegzG - good luck with your GTT when you have it. Hopefully you are first up.

hbmm - There are TWO different Glucose Tolerance Tests.
One is a 1hr, no fasting test (this is take drink, wait for an hour), and the Other one is a 2hr fasting required test (as per Wally's description).
Going by what your midwife said, you'd be going for the 1hr no fasting test - just give them a call if you're not sure though.

The rules haven't changed, the 1hr test has always been available, but some Dr's don't trust it (there is a small percentage of false negatives) and therefore just go straight to the 2hr test instead.
My OB does the 1hr test for those he thinks are low risk, but will go straight to the 2hr test for those he thinks are at a higher risk (e.g. age, family history, weight, etc).

Good luck with your GTT and Anti-D shot.

Wally - Sorry you're looking at insulin now :dry:  I can't imagine having to do that! Good luck

I think I get BH's every now and then, but it's like one and then nothing for AGES. And I'm not actually sure that's what it is lol!
Annoying for you that you get BH's so regularly.
Sorry bub has been giving you a scare, he may also be a night owl, so you might not be able to feel him moving at night whilst you're asleep YET :smile:

Ramble away :smile:

#17 sheilasmith

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Thanks N@K & Wally - I'm categorised as low risk so your explanation seems to clear up the confusion. The insulin injections sound pretty crappy, but I guess it has just become part of your routine at this stage?

Feeling bub move around lots but as for Braxton hicks, I can't say I've experienced this yet. Is it a painful feeling or just uncomortable?

#18 She's Crafty

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

I've got an OB visit tomorrow so I suspect I will get the go ahead to do the GD test.   I'll be 26 weeks on Friday.  At least one advantage of the C-section is I know I won't go over 40 weeks, a godsend over summer, but possible could go at 38 weeks WHICH IS 12 WEEKS AWAY!!!!  With Christmas parties, Christmas, New Year, DS's 2nd birthday, a friends hens night and wedding (wedding probably after the birth) and appointments concerning building our house, the next few months are going to fly.  I seriously don't have time to work.

Hope we get a few more writing on here soon or I am assuming that's all happening on the Facebook page?

Hope you're all well,

xo

#19 hopeful_Ruby

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hi everyone,

Suline - Sorry to hear about your bleeding. Hopefully is was just a once off and things go smoothly from here. I have a good friend who bled through her entire pregnancy and was older when she had her son... who is now

EileenAli - Congratulations. I am still not convinced at 24 weeks that I am actually having a baby. Every little while I say to my DH "I think this baby thing might actually be happening" and he says "It sure is", but I don't think it will hit home until I have this little boy in my arms.

Wally - Do you know what kind of insulin you will be going on? I have been Type 1 diabetic for over 20 years and so have been on insulin for all that time so have a bit of experience if you need any advice. While having diabetes and being pregnant sucks, because I have been managing it all this time, I kind of know what I am doing (although pregnancy has been a whole different ball game). I feel for you and others taking insulin for the first time during pregnancy. Let me know if you need any advice about insulin or advice that doctors are giving you (I have found every doctor has a different opinion on the diabetes stuff which makes it difficult).

For anyone going onto insulin. It is hard, but with the help of doctors you should work it out. My advice is keep testing your blood sugar levels regularly (several times a day) if on insulin otherwise you can get some wild swings in blood sugar levels and low ones can be a bit scary. Your hospital should have blood glucose monitors to borrow or for hire.

Good luck everyone else with your GTT. at least I don't have to have one of these as I am already diabetic.

I am a little worried about how big my belly is getting. I have an OB appointment later this week so am sure they can reassure me then. I have put on a couple of kgs in the last few weeks and am just worried that this baby is going to be huge because of the diabetes (even though it is well controlled - all of the doctors keep saying "you will probably have a big baby since most diabetics do" even before they have done any measurement scans). I am having a growth scan at 28 weeks so hopefully he hasn't grown too big by then.

#20 wally_23

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Thanks hopeful ruby. I just went to the diabetes clinic and got to stab myself. Nothing to it, although im sure its going to get old pretty quickly. I feel for you having to do it all the time. My fundal height is already measuring 3wks ahead at last appt with the dr 3wks ago and im sitting here waiting now so will see what todays messurement is. My scans show baby is measuring big so hopefully the insulin will help bring him down a little.

Shes crafty- youre crazy busy aswell. It really makes it seem so close doesnt it.

Hbmm - the bh are mostly just uncomfortable. I kinda describe them like a stitch feeling where I have to stop and wait a mintue then its all good.

#21 American-Pie.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

I stalk and sometimes comment here :)

i am 24 weeks, protein in urine, blood pressure getting higher and anemia as well. Get more results back tomorrow from GP re: bloods and urine.

I absolutely cannot believe I haven't seen an OBGYN yet, I have my first midwife appt next week but even then, only the midwives, not an OBGYN.

My Dr is writing a letter to hopefully get me fast tracked and into a quicker appt.

I feel lightheaded, breathless, and dizzy all the time so I'm going too see if I can get an iron infusion instead of going on iron supplements to boost my iron levels.

#22 wally_23

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hey AP
How bad is your aneamia? It has to be lretty bad before they'll give an infusion. I have thalassemia which makes me require transfusions sometimes.
And what level is your protein at? Ive had trace protein the whole pregnancy and drs aren't concerned.
Hope you can get to see ob soon. At our hospital unless you are high risk you see the midwives only. Haven't heard any issues with it, but as I see drs I don't know personally.

#23 She's Crafty

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Goodness AP - that's pretty full on.  Hope you start to feel better soon.  I was having dizzy spells for a while there but they seem to have passed for the mean time.  My blood pressure is within the normal ranges but on the lower side.  Normally I'm 120/60 but during pregnancy usually 100/50.   I have found that salt helps me.

Wally - hope you keep making those milestones you've set.

Had OB appointment today.  I'm measuring 6 weeks ahead.  DS was 4.215kg born and this is one is looking to be much the same.  I think we just breed them big!  Will do my GD test next week sometime.

Not much else happening.  Trying to read as many books (fiction) because I know that won't happen much next year.

Have a great weekend all!

#24 mumma nicsta

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hi Everyone!
Not much to report on here, close to 25 weeks this wknd. Counting down until annual leave on the 16th and then planning Christmas Day with the relatives all over at our house for the first time!
I have been exhausted about 1 day a week lately, i think bub is having a big growth spurt and it really takes its toll, went into GP and asked for blood check on iron and glucose, havent had a phone call yet and she said she'd call if there was any concerns.... so no news is good news i spose!
Have my GTT booked for 9th and will get full bloods again then.
I cant believe how much time is going to fly once Christmas passes, but so excited and anxious at the same time!

I've had 1 hospital appt so far and it was with MW, i dont think my hospital books you in for Dr unless they're concerned about something.

Take Care Everyone xx

#25 N@K

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

hbmm - glad it helped clear up the confusion for you.

She's Crafty - Wow, that is quite a bit ahead. My mum was a big breader too, she never had GD, and both my sisters were 11 pounders!

Ruby - How did your OB appt. go, did you get some reasurance about how big your belly is getting?
Hopefully bub is growing normal size for you.

Wally - How did the scan go the other day? Hopefully the insulin helps control the diabeties and your sons growth.

American-Pie - Hope your BP settles, and that you can get your iron up.
I think it's pretty standard to just see midwives (in the public system) unless you are classified high risk, so unless that happens you might not see an OB? (or not until much later).
Shouldn't your GP be able to sort your iron levels out anyway? Also pretty sure they'll get you to go on suppliments, unless your levels are drastically low.
Make sure you get a good one though - such as Fabiron - a lot of the normal brands aren't that great for absorption.

Good luck :)

Mumma nic - Good luck with christmas day!! We don't EVER volunteer for DH's family to come over at xmas, but we do have mine over - but this year with half overseas for xmas that equals just 4 of us incl. DH & I (I love my small family).

My tiredness / exhaustion comes and goes, I always just put it down to bub growing too :smile:
My iron will get checked this week sometime, when I also do my GTT - all going well and I don't get too busy like I did last week!
*fingers crossed* no news is good news re: your tests.

AFM - Doing well, LOTS of movement, and I certainly prefer it when bub is NOT kicking my inside bits! lol.
Get tired every now and then, but generally pretty good.
Could do without the late night / morning leg cramps though - however, this is not every day, so not terribly bad.
Really not much to complain about :smile:

Also can't believe how quick time is going at the moment and that Christmas is basically 3wks away!!

All my present shopping is done though, so don't have to stress about any of that, which is nice :smile:

Hope everyone has a nice week :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.