Clapham Primary School

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Lalaloopsy

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hi all

We have just purchased a home near Clapham Primary School and was wondering if anyone had any info on the school.

We are 'satisfied' with the school the children are in now and they are settled and happy however convenience factor is what is driving the possible change and the children would like to be able to walk/ride/scoot to school and have some local friends.  If we keep them in their existing school then we will have a 15 minute drive from our new home.

Thank you in advance

#2 Mischief Managed

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

We looked at it and nothing special popped out :)  A nice little school though :)

#3 Lalaloopsy

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Thank you Mischief Managed, logistically it would be perfect but I don't actually know anyone with kids that go there!!  We move to our new place at the end of this month so we will have a few weeks left of school at their existing school to make the decision for next year.  My Year 3 son is surprisingly keen to make the change but my Reception daughter is reluctant (but I don't think she realises you change teacher/classmates at the end of the year anyway!)

#4 jujujulie

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have sent you a PM :)

#5 Lalaloopsy

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Thanks jujujulie :smile:

#6 kazz221

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

I live out of the area but I decided to send my daughter to Clapham over 4 other schools we were looking into. My daughter knew no one at first but she loves the school & it has a lovely family feel to it. It may look old on the outside but its what's on inside that's important

#7 Lalaloopsy

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks so much kazz221, really sorry I only just saw this.  That is great feedback, will be making the decision in the next few weeks.  Glad to hear your daughter loves the school.

Cheers

#8 jm3

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I know many families who are very happy at Clapham.

#9 Lalaloopsy

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Thanks so much, we have enrolled, very excited! :)

#10 seachick

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:09 PM

Hi Lalaloopsy, just came across your post as I am thinking of sending my DS to Clapham Primary next year. Did yours end up going there, is he still there and if so how is it going? It would be great to get some feedback if you don't mind.

#11 Mistletoe Kisses

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:55 PM

I looked there for DD when moving to belair but decided against it. Instead I enrolled her at Mitcham primary as we have family there. Found out recently that 4 of DDs friends started school at Clapham but moved to mitcham by half way through yr 1. DDs best friend lives literally 5 houses down from Clapham but moved to Mitcham after only 3 terms there. From what their parents have said it's a semi ok school but certainly not the best in the area and is only really suitable for kids with 'average for their age' learning abilities as they apparently don't do much in the way of extention programs or special edition classes (sorry if that's not the appropriate term but my brain isn't functioning well atm)

*didn't realise this was an old thread*

Edited by Tea&Crumpets, 21 June 2016 - 10:57 PM.

#12 babatjie

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:06 PM

View PostTea&Crumpets, on 21 June 2016 - 10:55 PM, said:

I looked there for DD when moving to belair but decided against it. Instead I enrolled her at Mitcham primary as we have family there. Found out recently that 4 of DDs friends started school at Clapham but moved to mitcham by half way through yr 1. DDs best friend lives literally 5 houses down from Clapham but moved to Mitcham after only 3 terms there. From what their parents have said it's a semi ok school but certainly not the best in the area and is only really suitable for kids with 'average for their age' learning abilities as they apparently don't do much in the way of extention programs or special edition classes (sorry if that's not the appropriate term but my brain isn't functioning well atm)

Average for their age? That sounds like absolute rubbish.

I have only heard positive things about Clapham. It's a small school which is always a positive for a primary school.  

Mitcham Primary on the other hand...

#13 PopsiclePeach

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:13 PM

Hi all, I'm the OP (couldn't remember my other login lol)

Yes we did move to Clapham in 2014 and we are very happy there, especially this year in particular.

We have an awesome new principal (as of this year), a strong leadership team and a fantastic group of teachers (many late 20s early 30s) who are really passionate and cannot be faulted.  This includes about 4 young male teachers who are just brilliant, all too often there is not a good gender balance on the staff.

The school has a great community feel too and a gardening program etc.  Lovely grounds too, we have koalas!

As for academics, both my kids are bright and I feel they are well supported in their learning.

Anyway, let me know if you have any more questions seachick, I'm sure your son would be very happy at Clapham :)

Edited by PopsiclePeach, 21 June 2016 - 11:13 PM.

#14 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:18 PM

View PostTea&Crumpets, on 21 June 2016 - 10:55 PM, said:

FWIW there aren't generally extension programs or special classes for extension in SA primary schools. Extension is expected in the mainstream class with high quality differentiation.

Even those schools who are considered 'good with extension' don't have extension programs so I wouldn't expect to find SA primary schools with overt extension programs or streamed classes.

#15 Mistletoe Kisses

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:34 PM

PopsiclePeach- I'm really glad you and your kids are happy with the school. I hope you weren't offended by my post, I was just relaying what I've been told by former students and families from afew years ago.

It sounds like the school has improved since those I've spoken to went there, I hope your kids continue to be nurtured and valued individually for the rest of their time there.

***As an aside, my DS1 goes to Clapham early learning on springbank rd and it is absolutely fantastic. The carers really care and have gone above and beyond what's expected of them for DS1 many times. It only took 3 months there for DS1 to be comfortable enough at drop off to not be upset and clingy and he'd barely left my side before starting there. My DD went to a different centre and was there for 4 years and never became that comfortable and content about going. DS1 now just waves goodbye and runs over to his favourite lady for cuddles, not a tear in sight. If you ever need to look into using childcare again I can't recommend them more highly. And as a bonus, after weaning from breast milk/formula all you need to pack is a change of clothes. They provide nappies, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, an early evening snack around pick up to stop stave of hunger before you can get home to organise dinner, their own hats, pretty much anything the kids could need while there.

DS1s favourite lady has even bought him his very own special pack of mickey mouse stickers withher own money to help us with his toilet training, he has a mickey mouse potty at home and was asking for that when he first started toilet training but since I can't let him take it she got the stickers for him to help continue the mickey mouse association when he's there. So now he will actually sit on the toilet there not hold it in or have multiple accidents each day.

#16 PopsiclePeach

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

All good Tea&Crumpets, no offence taken!

Yes, the school has definitely improved and continues to do so which is great.

No need for the ELC though, (unless there's a big whoopsy LOL) thanks anyway.  Glad to hear it's awesome though!

#17 PeanutButterTurtle

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

We went to the Clapham proncipals tour on Thursday for DD to start in 2018, and we were very impressed. The new principal has a lot of great vision for the school. We went to Mitcham straight after to enquire about a principals tour, and came away less than impressed.

T&C, my DD is also at Clapham early learning...I wonder if your DS' favourite lady is the same as DD's! The teachers from her old room went above and beyond when she moved up...I still miss them!

#18 Mistletoe Kisses

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

View PostPeanutButterTurtle, on 25 June 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

We went to the Clapham proncipals tour on Thursday for DD to start in 2018, and we were very impressed. The new principal has a lot of great vision for the school. We went to Mitcham straight after to enquire about a principals tour, and came away less than impressed.

T&C, my DD is also at Clapham early learning...I wonder if your DS' favourite lady is the same as DD's! The teachers from her old room went above and beyond when she moved up...I still miss them!

Possibly, I can't for the life of me remember her name but she's got long very dark brown or maybe bkack hair that she wears down. She seems to be in the toddler room mostly but moves around aswell. He also loves the largish red headed lady. She's scottish I think.

#19 seachick

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

Thanks very much to all of you for responding! Especially to you PP as I really value your opinion since starting there.

Don't worry T&C I've heard similar things from other parents and I see you were just trying to be honest, which I appreciate.

So, we have enrolled our DS to start at Clapham next year. We too were impressed at the School Tour and I have met and talked with several mums that have kids going there and they love it.

Also, I believe that a lot of primary school learning happens at home anyway. We did extra maths and reading exercises with my husband's children when they were in primary school. At the time they weren't too thrilled about it but the oldest just got straight As for maths and science in Year 9! She didn't learn her times tables or anything like that at primary school (which was Belair), it was at home.

I also like that Clapham is small and not snobby - I don't want my DS thinking everything is handed to you on a platter, and that you need to drive kms away to be with 'better people'. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I think that sends kids a bad message, especially when Clapham is only 100m away from where we live. I want him to see that society is made up of all sorts, and that we all need to be compassionate and empathetic. I don't mean to talk down about anyone by the way - I hope you know what I mean! Lol

#20 Mumma bug

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

Does anyone have any experience of Colonel Light Gardens Primary? We are zoned for CLG but I also want to look at Clapham and Mitcham

#21 seachick

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

Hi Mumma bug,

The kids across the road from our house (we live near Clapham Primary) go to Colonel Light Gardens. Their mum loves it - it's considered really good but zoned so hard to get into if you don't live in the zone.

#22 redbeanie

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:52 PM

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone has anything else to add to this on Clapham, Mitcham or CLG primary schools?  We are looking to buy that way and school is a big factor in our decision to move!  Thanks!

#23 Expelliarmus

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

The families I know at Colonel Light Gardens are quite happy there and the current principal is one I'd work with in a heartbeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.