*WARNING* Infant death mentioned -- child left in car

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 runnybabbit

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

http://www.abc.net.a...<br /> <br /> In the hottest Perth day since summer, an 11-month-old was left in his father's car. His dad apparently thought he had dropped him off at day care and drove to the day care centre to pick him up at the end of the day, not realising that his son was dead in the back seat the whole time.

This is so tragic and horrific. I hope he finds a way to forgive himself in time.

Please, everyone, have an arrangement with your day care provider for them to call you if your child is late, and place one of your shoes (that you are intending to wear), your wallet, mobile, etc in the back seat so you always have to open a back door when you reach your destination.

#2 Therese

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

That is incredibly heartbreaking :(  That poor family.

#3 decafsoylatte

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

So sad :(

#4 decafsoylatte

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

I remember reading a thread on here a while back with similar stories such as this one. Very heartbreaking.

#5 Futureself

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

I got extremely upset hearing this story this morning. It's just a nightmare - that poor, poor family.

Agree PP with having a system of having what you need in the backseat next to the baby seat so even if your automatic pilot had you arriving at work or wherever then you have to go to the back seat.

I recall that was a suggestion in the extraordinary, Pulitzer prize winning article that covered this topic back in 2010. I think this highly upsetting article is a must read for EVERY parent and carer because people think they aren't capable of 'forgetting' their child - turns out the human brain fails in memory formation no matter how 'perfect; a parent you are. WARNING Very emotional & upsetting http://www.pulitzer....Feature-Writing

#6 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Heartbreaking, similar thing happened to a lady in the US, her and her dh switched jobs in the morning and she wasn't the one that usually dropped the child at childcare so she just drove straight to work, parked and went in to work.  A passerby noticed her child in the backseat midway through the day.

Edited by lifehacker, 03 October 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#7 Loungelizard

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

That takes my breath away it is so tragic.

#8 Oriental lily

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

What an utter tragedy!
My heart aches for that poor family.

Hopefully they get compassion and sympathy and not judgement and charges like a similar case in USA.

I think everyone is capable of making this mistake. Life can be so busy and hectic and we get so used to routines to keep it together.

So bloomin sad.

#9 citylife

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

I just read the link and there is not much in it.
Can someone please explain how this happened?
I don't understand it?
Did the father not put his child in the car? Someone else did?
Very sad indeed and horrible for all involved.

#10 Mummy_Em

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

OMGosh, he got all the way back to daycare to pick the child up before he realised. :cry:

Poor baby and poor family.

#11 Oriental lily

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

City life he probably though he dropped the child off. He was probably preoccupied with thoughts of work ect. When people do something over and over again they go on auto pilot. He might also not been the person who normally drops child of.

Is like when you drive home sometimes and don't have any recollection of going through a busy round about or similar.

#12 Futureself

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

citylife, on 03 October 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

I just read the link and there is not much in it.
Can someone please explain how this happened?
I don't understand it?
Did the father not put his child in the car? Someone else did?
Very sad indeed and horrible for all involved.

Details are only just emerging but it seems that the Father turned up to the daycare at 4pm to pick up his child who he thought/assumed he's dropped off that morning. Daycare informed him the child never arrived that day. The baby was still in the car, where it appears he'd been all day and was killed by 'hyperthermia' or heat. It is breathtakingly tragic.

#13 virtuallotus

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

I'm not sure I understand what happened, but my sympathies to the family. Very sad. :(

#14 Charlie Alfa Lima

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

My heart breaks for him, the whole family, and those workers at the childcare centre.  I am sure they were a responsible, loving family who adored their son.

How can it happen?
Well, once you get in the car, you can be in 'work' mode, and all thoughts are about getting to that destination.  Whether dad usually dropped him off, or this was an unusual morning, it is tragic all the same.

#15 citylife

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Oriental lily ans futureself thank-you for your responses and clarification.
I hope the father is able to find some gentle days in the next few weeks and he has the loving support he needs at this time.
Thinking if the parents/extended family and daycare

#16 lynneyours

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

runnybabbit, on 03 October 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Please, everyone, have an arrangement with your day care provider for them to call you if your child is late, and place one of your shoes (that you are intending to wear), your wallet, mobile, etc in the back seat so you always have to open a back door when you reach your destination.

Great idea.  How horrific - that poor, poor family.  :(

#17 HairyMaclary

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

How incredibly sad.  I know how easy it is to go into autopilot mode when you're driving to work.  I got halfway there once before I realised that DS1 was still in the back seat.  I hope the father is able to forgive himself for this tragic mistake, which any of us could so easily make.

Edited by HairyMaclary, 03 October 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#18 Mumsyto2

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

So tragic yet so simple to have happen.  I can't count the number of times I got to work and had either one or two kids (multiple drop offs in the early days) in the backseat shout out "am I going to work with you today mummy". If they had of been younger and had fallen asleep I may have had the same outcome on any number of occasions.

I feel so sorry for the father and the family, just so very tragic.

#19 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

When I first read the story the article was short and made out someone else was supposed to have dropped the baby off and he was to pick it up.

I think that would be horrific to have happen to you, it would change you in a very detrimental way and I don't think you would get over it.

I read the long article on others who it has happened too.  I think the lady who was going to have a baby for the couple who had to adopt was a very kind gesture.

#20 k8plus2

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

i almost had it happen to me. luckily i work at my sons daycare and my boss asked me where he was as soon as i walked in. shakey to think what could have been

#21 wallofdodo

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

I have the opposite, once a quarter my children do an extra day of daycare. On those days, I really have to remember to pick them up. I have found myself walking to the station rather than the daycare center, or just thinking about my trip home. And realising 'THE KIDS'.

This poor poor man, I hope he gets sympathy and not criticism.

#22 Bluenomi

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

That poor, poor Dad, how could you ever forgive yourself.

This is part of the reason I love having daycare at work, part of my work routine is getting both of us into the building, harder to forget a drop off when you don't have one.

On the rare occasions DH takes DD to daycare when she was little, I'd check with him how drop off went just in case.

#23 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

It is just heartbreakingly tragic, that poor family and poor baby. I remember in 2010 reading the suggestion of putting something in the backseat with the baby so you have to open the doors, and its something that has stuck with me and I always try to do. From now on I will ensure I do it.

#24 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Oh that poor man - and whole family / daycare workers etc. This tragedy will affect many people I think.

Absolutely heartbreaking. :(

#25 bluetea

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

This is just up the road from me. It's so unimaginably sad and tragic.
I couldn't imagine the torture that the father and his family would be going through.
:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How an inquest into one stillbirth is saving lives

A ground-breaking court case that has focused solely on one stillborn baby has already helped to save the lives of other babies.

Get them into reading early with a Nouk book subscription

There's no bonding activity quite like reading to your baby or toddler, and all the signs point to it being important for social and literacy development as well.

I don't want my husband to go on a buck's trip

My husband's best friend is getting married and has planned a men's bachelor party.

The celeb parents who needed a mediator to stop fighting over baby names

Deciding on a baby name can be a fraught experience for many parents.

May Gibbs' 'Gumnut Babies' turns 100 with a special edition, coins, stamps and more

It's time to celebrate the centenary of May Gibbs' very first book release, Gumnut Babies.

African baby names

We have some absolutely gorgeous selections of African baby names for you to consider for your baby.

The mum who retrained to became a plumber

One company refused to give her an apprenticeship because they believed she would be too much of a distraction to the males. 

Meningococcal meningitis: signs, treatment and prevention

What is meningococcal meningitis, why does it occur in seasons, and why does it strike fear into the hearts of so many?

I was scared of the dentist ... and my son paid the price

It was a moment where I could certainly learn from his behaviour, and not him from mine.

Family of toddler killed by alligator at Disney honours his third birthday

The family told supporters that they wanted to celebrate the boy's "first birthday in heaven".

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

7 tips to help you prepare your home for parenthood

Prep your home to make becoming a new parent as stress-free as possible.

Fatherhood to the beat of Daniel's drum

Daniel Gibney knew fatherhood would change him, but he didn't realise it would lead to a global business venture for his family.

A case of gastro and the mummy mean girls

I don't blame any first-time mother who is terrified of her or her baby catching gastro, but it will find you eventually.

Zooey Deschanel's cake smash fail for daughter Elsie

"I kept seeing on the Internet, 'You gotta make a smash cake for your one-year-old,' so I'm like, 'I'm making this cake just so she can smash it.'"

Five things mums should never do

Although I preach the "each to their own" method of parenting, it's unavoidable to have those moments of panic.

Mum allegedly 'groped' while holding toddler in Sydney pool

A mum has told of her horror after she was allegedly sexually assaulted while at a swimming centre with her two young children.

'It whacked me': Michelle Bridges on sleep deprivation and returning to exercise

Michelle Bridges knows a lot about health and fitness, but when she became a mum she had to learn a few lessons the hard way.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Hawaii beachfront resort holiday for two!

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 4 trips for two to Hawaii, staying at Outrigger resorts in Waikiki.

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

Vintage Toys

The toys of your childhood

Take a trip down memory lane with these vinage and retro toys that you may have had in your childhood or your parent's childhood.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.