Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hi all

New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 againagain

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hey everyone - wow I can't believe how many inductions this group has had! Seems like a lot.

I had a BOY (after three girls) on Tuesday, I was induced with ARM only after my BP continued to rise, and I was already 6 days past EDD so they said enough is enough. I spent the day before having a show that went on and on so I am pretty sure something was about to happen anyway. He arrived about 3 hours after my waters were broken, and only 1.5 hours of labour. Came home the following morning and he is settling in really well.

Good luck to those still waiting! The end is in sight!!

#3 brain

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Congratulations on your little boy!  There do seem to be a fair few inductions around here!  sounds like yours was pretty ready to go though :)

#4 bec_1108

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hi Ceevee,

I'd heard that eipdurals can slow progress too, but I spoke to a nurse friend of mine a few days before who explained that it can actually speed up labour because the pain is blocked, which causes increased oxytocin (the hormone that dilates etc). Anyway, this turned out to be the case for me because I went from 3cm to 7cm in only a couple of hours. I slept after that and woke up to find that I was fully dilated. When it came to pushing, they turned down the epidural so that I could feel the tightenings more, so I knew when to push.

I had spoken to my OB about letting the cord pulsate, and he was fine with that as long as everything was ok with bubs. TBH, I think it's pretty standard practise at the hospital. Immediate skin to skin contact is as well. The cord took maybe 5 mins to finish pulsating.

Hope this helps! All the best for your journey!

Bec

Congrats againagain on the arrival of your little boy :)

#5 ceevee

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thanks a lot for that Bec, I really hope my birth goes as well as yours. That is really good to know about the epidural, v reassuring.  I will talk to my OB about letting the cord pulsate too.

I think I am just spending way too much time thinking about it all now, I don't know what else to do!

Againagain congrats on your long awaited little boy.

Good luck to the others hanging in there!

#6 Copperain

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Unfortunately the Epidural slowed down my progress, but I had it fairly early on in my labor (I was 3cm) as my contractions were right on top of each other and very painful. That's the gamble with being induced, but I would not have done it any other way, those two boys were heavy and I was well and truly ready to have them out!

If you can wait a while longer to have the epi it should not have an effect on contractions.

I did find it very hard to push but it had been 15 hours since my waters broke and my body was very tired already. As Bec said they can turn down the dosage so that you can feel the contractions more. Unfortunately this was not an option for me as it failed in one side of my pelvis and I felt EVERYTHING on that side, which is also the side I had a tear!

It doesn't work out like that for most people, I was just unlucky and being induced, then having the Epi so early had a lot to do with my outcome. I would still recommend the epi to anyone who is considering it as I was able to sleep for the first time in two days!

Hope everything goes well for you! And congratulations to everyone who have had their babies! Great to see some little girls being born :)

#7 ~A2~

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi everyone.

Hope you are going well.

Just wanted to let you know that the September 2013 Parents Group is now open for you all.  Feel free to have a look and post and say hi in there.

The group is here

This DIG will stay open until the last bub has arrived then you get to graduate to the Parents Group.

Regards

Ali

#8 ehbaby

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Congrats to all those who have had their bubs.

Last Sunday 22nd after some bleeding overnight and being 40 +5 weeks my boy Leroy James arrived at 2.19pm after an emergency C-section.  7lbs 71/2oz (3390g) 51cm long.

Home today after some complications for me.

#9 ceevee

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Congrats ehbaby! I love the name. Hope you heal up soon and settle in well at home.

Still hanging in here at 40+4, I swear this baby is never coming out!!

Any more news?

#10 brain

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

congrats ehbaby!  I hope you're enjoying being at home.

Ceevee, I'm still waiting too (40+3).  Obs said would look at induction after +10-12.  I'll go insane if its another week!

#11 ceevee

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Brain, omg I hear you!! My OB is the same, and with the long weekend coming up (when he will be away) I wouldn't be induced until next Tuesday, a WHOLE nother week!!

It's a toss up which is driving me most crazy -the physical discomforts, the mental anguish of waiting, waiting and not knowing when it will end, the constant wondering if every little twinge means something, or the well meaning friends and relatives 'checking in' for 'any news'!!

Don't get me wrong I just want what's best for baby, but mumma needs a break here!

See u in October...

#12 bec_1108

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Fingers crossed it happens for you soon, ceevee and brain!

#13 brain

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Thankfully we don't have a public holiday here on monday!

I'm with you on trying to figure out what's most annoying.  My mother is emailing every day demanding updates at the moment.  And if i don't respond to an email within a few hours, i get a phone call as well.

I can't tell you how many times I've googled "XXX and labour" in the last few days.  I have a sore knee - does that mean it's starting?  :p

#14 ceevee

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

LOL!
I've just told my mum off for messaging me too. Poor mum I know she is trying really hard to back off, she just came in at the end of a long day.  Better ring her.

#15 brain

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

I'm sort of comforted it's not just my family ;)

#16 Gambit la Feralé

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hey ladies!

Congratulations on all the new arrivals!  And good luck to those ladies who are hoping for labour (and being harassed by family members lol)

I welcomed a beautiful little redhead girl, Amelia Clare, into the world Saturday morning 21/9 at 3 past midnight.

Was a little bit complicated though. We started the induction process the Thursday before with prostin gel Thursday night, which didn't really cause any contractions but I did have an increase in tightenings.

I was reviewed Friday morning and found to be 1-2cm dilated....so more prostin was inserted and I waited until 1pm for another review and was 2cm dilated, so my waters were ruptured and the Syntocinon drip was started.

From the get go I was getting back pain and a little bit of tummy pain....this then progressed to just back pain (she'd moved posterior).  I progressed through a series of pain management techniques, the drip was increased the pain got worse.......The monitoring had difficulties picking up my contractions and her heart rate.

So she ended up with 3 scalp clips in the end :( (they kept falling out) I was checked at 5 and found to be 2 cm still but the cervix had shortened and softened (this was after having good contractions)

I hit the wall around 7pm and got an epidural as the back pain was unmanageable (ps water injections hurt like the blazes but work....for 2 hours anyway) and when reviewed again at 9pm was still 2cm, she'd moved a little further up and wasn't presenting the right way.....so we went on for another couple of hours to see if she would move......but she didn't and her HR was starting to drop with the contractions..........so off for Emergency ceasar we went after labouring for 10.5 hours.

So she came out the sunroof, but was trying to cry as they were pulling her out and I've got some AWESOME photos.

She's now 9 days old and eating up a storm and cute as!

I think I'll wander over to the parents group to check it out!

Good luck to the ladies yet to deliver!

#17 bec_1108

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Congrats gambit! What a gorgeous name!

Sounds like the labour was quite an ordeal! But I'm sure once you were holding her in your arms, it didn't matter anymore. Enjoy little Amelia!

#18 mini-us

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hello Ladies

Our little Emma Leeloo was born on Friday the 13th of September via C-section, 48 cm and 3330 grams. Emma was and is doing fine from the start, but because she was breech she will get a special ultra sound at 6 weeks to check her hips are in full order and she has no risk of hip displacement.

The C-section experience for me was horrible. Although the anaesthetists was really nice, explaining what he was going to do and talking me through every step of the epidural, listening to my concerns re my previous after spinal tap back pain issue, but in the end it still hurt like hell, and now, as expected I got back pain where the needle went in.

2ndly, I didn't get Emma at all during the C-section. The doctor f#$%cked up the IV, so I ended up with the IV on my right hand (so couldn't use it), and they put the BP monitor on the left arm. They just allowed hubby to hold her next to me for a few minutes, and although I touched her with my left hand, I couldn't feel her, as the BP monitor was making my whole arm and hand going numb.

There was also a paediatrician checking Emma out, the way she looked at her was as she was looking at a total uninteresting thing, totally bored. They also didn’t let us check if she was really a girl or a boy, they just shouted it out, and no delayed cord clamping and cord cutting for hubby.

Then they took Emma away while I was still being stitched up, reason they gave me was that they were understaffed and the midwife had to go back to the ward, and hubby went with the baby, so I was alone for the rest of the surgery and in recovery.

Even once I was back on ward there was no baby waiting for me, they hadn't checked her over yet, and in the end it took over three hours, an eternity, for me to finally hold her in my arms. I'm still horrible angry at how it went down.

Next day they finally took the catheter out, but then they complained that I peed too much, and discussed for the whole day to put the catheter back in (in front of the visitors no less), luckily that didn't happen. On Sunday they then finally took the IV out, which then made holding Emma so much easier.

We planned on going home on Monday, as I had enough of the hospital, but then overnight my BP went even higher up, so they kept me in til Wednesday, when they discharged me on BP drugs I’m still on.

The midwifes were all absolutely fantastic, helpful, nice and friendly. But, the way the C-section went down, I would for nothing in the world repeat this experience. I rather go through whole labour and pain to be able to be the first one to touch and hold my baby.

#19 Copperain

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

Mini-us CONGRATULATIONS! How horrible that you did not get to hold Emma until 3 hours later! I thought doctors were a lot more understanding of the need to have skin to skin asap if the baby and mother is healthy! I don't think the reason they gave is very valid... for me the midwives quickly latched Michael on to my breast and then left us alone for two hours! I had no idea what I was doing! I then tried to latch Reuben on myself but that was a fail so I just held him until the midwife decided to come back. To this day I am still having trouble with breast feeding :(

I asked to have delayed cord clamping and to have my partner cut at least one of the cords, but it did not happen for me either. I never asked why I just pushed it to the back of my mind.

I hope everything is going well for your little family now and that you are recovering well.

#20 ceevee

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

Good morning from breast feeding land!!

Our beautiful boy Connor Theo arrived exactly one week ago 4 Oct by emergency c-section, weighing a healthy 3.89kg. How time flies!!

My waters broke overnight Tuesday, with a big pop and a gush just like the movies. Managed to run to the bathroom before it went all over the floor. Went into hospital to get checked, came home and waited for something to happen. No contractions tho so booked in for induction Thursday morning.

I was on the syntocin drip all day Thursday, contractions came slowly, by 6pm I asked for an epidural, bliss!!

By 10.30pm I was 9cm, but never got any further. At 2am the OB made the call that it was time for a c-section. I was exhausted after nearly 3 days without sleep so I was happy with this. He arrived quickly, the staff at RPA were fantastic, and I had bub in my arms by 3am. Bub was never in distress, so I have to say my 'emergency' c-section experience was fantastic (sorry mini-us).

We were in hospital nearly 5 days, he'd lost 12% weight at his weigh-in, so topping up with formula and juggling the joys of breast pumping and ice packs. He is chunking up again nicely and doing well.

Brain, how did you go?!

See u in the parents groups!!

#21 bec_1108

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

Congrats ceevee! Sounds like an exhausting few days! I'm a big fan of epidurals now too; instant relief!

We must be on the same breastfeeding schedule. Charlotte normally wakes for a feed around 5.30. She tends to feed every 3.5 hours at night. Not too bad, but I'm looking forward to having more than a few hours sleep at a time!

#22 brain

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Ceevee, we also wound up meeting our little boy, Ryan, on Friday the 4th!  at 4pm, so he's just literally turned 1 week old.  aww.

We had an obs appointment on the thursday afternoon, where he did an internal and little sweep, and suggested we weren't far away.  Had some monitoring at the hospital, as was 40+6 at that point, and booked an induction for monday.

But I woke up about 4am friday  morning with some mild contractions.  They intensified pretty quickly once I got out of bed around 6:30 - we jumped straight to 45 sec, 3-5 min apart.  Were in the hospital by 10:30, first internal around 1:30 had me at 9cm, and he was born at 3:59pm.  12 hours all up.  Gas and morphine were essential.  Recovery has been fine so far - no stitches help.  Counting ourselves very lucky for an uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery, and now the most chilled little man.

He was 3.66kg at birth, and at 6 days, up to 3.78.  So feeding seems to be going ok ;)

Hope everyone else is recovering well and loving the new baby bubble.

#23 ceevee

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Brain, belated congratulations on the safe arrival of your little Ryan (time really gets away from you now, doesn't it?!?)

Well done on your labour, I'm sure it was not easy but sounds like you took it all in your stride. I am in great awe of anyone who didn't have an epidural, really don't know how you managed it!!

We are going pretty well, Connor usually sleeps 3hrs at a time so we're very lucky. Hoping I might be able to stop the formula top ups soon.  Settling takes about half an hour each time so with a BF, bottle then settle the whole process can take two hours. I'd really like to get this a bit more streamlined before DP goes back to work in two weeks.

Anyway I guess we'd better head over to the parents forum now, think I will stick with you girls in September if that's ok :)

Hope ur all going well xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Ahrefs (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.