Delaying labour after unwanted membrane sweep?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 darcy2013

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi, I saw my OB yesterday (Friday) at 38 weeks 5 days. He said he wanted to check my cervix, which he did, noting my plug was gone. He then proceeded to do a cervical / membrane sweep on me but only told me as he was finishing it!!

I didn't want any 'help' for my delivery unless I went past my due date (and we booked in an induction for 40w5d due to my age) so I'm completely distraught!! Also, when I asked my OB if he was on-call this weekend, he replied no!! It also happens that the OB on-call is the one OB that my GP did not want me seeing due to something funny about a malpractice suit previously filed against the on-call OB!

I am horrified at the prospect of delivering this weekend with the NON-recommended OB, especially as my OB sent me down this path without talking to me first!! Does anyone know of any way to delay or prevent labour following a membrane sweep?? I am seriously considering staying in bed all weekend...

#2 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

It probably won't work, if your body isn't ready to go (my 2 didn't).  It's NOT the same as breaking your waters.

He still shouldn't have done it without your consent!

#3 *cough*

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

I know absolutely nothing but I'm horrified for you. That is so inappropriate!

I hope you're able to hold out over the weekend.

#4 Swan Lake

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

If its any peace of mind I had my first membrane sweep at 38 weeks (I was 2cms dilated at the time). I then had another one 39 weeks, 40 weeks and 41 weeks. I finally had DD at 41+6.

Stay in bed all weekend if that will help keep you more relaxed. Your baby will come when it's ready and not just because of a membrane sweep.

As for your OB, did you ask him why he did that without your permission? If you don't deliver this weekend and it ends up being with your OB, you'll need to set some pretty clear ground rules with him about what intervention you'd be happy with. You really need to trust the person who is delivering your baby.

Edited by Honey Pot, 07 September 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#5 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hopefully it doesn't work. I had stretch and sweeps done when I was post dates and neither worked for either pregnancy.

I'm sorry that you've gne through that, try to take it easy this weekend.

#6 Future-self

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

AS far as I was told, unless you're 'ready' otherwise, a sweep really won't help.So it won't begin a labour that wasn't going to begin anyway. Definitely relax, spend this weekend resting anyway though :)

Did you discuss previously with your OB that you definitely didn't want ANY intervention, no matter how minor, until you were overdue???? He really shouldn't have done it without talking to you, that's so inappropriate :( Definitely let him know at some stage that he may consider it so minor in the scheme of things that he didn't think you wouldn't want it, but he needs permission as it is your body!

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

It won't work unless you are ready to labour anyway so I think you can relax.
I would however be taking it up with your caregiver that you were given a S&S without your permission.....that is not on at all.
Good luck.

#8 fidodido

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

I had a stretch and sweep with my 2nd (Friday) and told I would go that weekend as everything was looking set to go. She took another week to arrive.

#9 Guest_Ella Minnow Pea_*

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

I had a s&s the day before I was due, told everything looked good to go and I would definitely deliver that weekend, lost the plug over the weekend and still ended up getting induced the next week...

#10 Velociraptor

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm not certain but think a S&S has almost no chance of bringing on labour unless it was going to start within a few days anyway.

Edited by Velociraptor, 07 September 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#11 darcy2013

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Thank you!! I read your comments and took it really easy on the weekend ... and thankfully the baby stayed put!!! It was fairly painful (though nothing compared to labour I'm sure) on Saturday with lots of cramping.

I hadn't talked re membrane sweeping with my OB but I said I wanted to give the baby time to come on his own. I was stunned by my OB's action and asked re the weekend OB on my way out (as I thought of it). I WILL be talking to him re no more sweeps and asking me first!! My husband is also coming with me from now on - he wasn't happy either.

Thanks again everyone - I hope we all have good runs to our deliveries!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.