Working on Election Day at polling booth

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#26 MrsLexiK

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

View Posthoppingllama, on 05 September 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostMummy2RyanandAlex, on 05 September 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

I went to the AEC website and filled out the forms under employment, then a few weeks ago I got an email stating where I was working and I had from memory 7 days to accept or decline.
Thanks for this will remember for the next election. I have just found a bunch of other govt agency's (through a link on the aec employment page) think I will put my name down with two or three other departments for ongoing temp work.

#27 luke's mummu

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostMummy2RyanandAlex, on 06 September 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Hi, just a quick question. On the form that we have to take with us in the morning, it says (office address) Is this the address where we will be working?

A bit late to be asking that now! Did you recieve a phone call from your supervisor to touch base over the last few days? They should have called to confirm the venue, time to start, parking, fridge availability.

#28 qak

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Looking at the letter of offer DH has, it says
"Polling Place (booth name)
Address: (school where he is at)"

So it does not say anything about an office?

#29 wannabe30

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

To answer the OP's question, I've never finished before midnight. It's a looooong day.

#30 Just Another Cat

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostMummy2RyanandAlex, on 05 September 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

I wonder why they dont pay you from start to finish, does anyone know why?

I suspect it's so people don't dawdle or sabotage the counting so it takes longer and they get paid more.

#31 wannabe30

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostMummy2RyanandAlex, on 05 September 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

I wonder why they dont pay you from start to finish, does anyone know why?

I think it's just logistics. They'd have to determine what time each polling place finished, cross check against who worked at each place, etc. There are thousands of short-term staff employed for each election, so it would be much easier to pay a flat rate.

Edited by wannabe30, 06 September 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#32 luke's mummu

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostJust Another Cat, on 06 September 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

I suspect it's so people don't dawdle or sabotage the counting so it takes longer and they get paid more.

Yes I agree it would be very easy to make a "mistake on purpose" and stay for another hour or 2.

#33 qak

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thinking about working at the booths, I am wondering how they know which 2nd preferences to count when the sides are close.  I know certain booths usually favour one side; but surely they would have to wait until all 1st preferences are counted in the electorate and add them all up, before they could move on the 2nd preferences?

#34 Lyra

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Postqak, on 07 September 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Thinking about working at the booths, I am wondering how they know which 2nd preferences to count when the sides are close.  I know certain booths usually favour one side; but surely they would have to wait until all 1st preferences are counted in the electorate and add them all up, before they could move on the 2nd preferences?

my memory of this was that we put all the slips into piles and it became pretty obvious which pile was higher. Every so often either the Polling Official was called and asked how many in X pile. And someone would count just that pile. I think it was then relayed back and then it would become obvious across the electorate what was going on

#35 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

View Postluke, on 06 September 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

A bit late to be asking that now! Did you recieve a phone call from your supervisor to touch base over the last few days? They should have called to confirm the venue, time to start, parking, fridge availability.
Not late at all to be asking this question, I knew the venue i was working at and the address  it had it all written on there already.  I just didnt know the answer to "that"  question. I asked on the morning and was told to write the suburb of the venue. When I asked the person in charge everyone else spoke up and they said they didnt know what  to write either.

Edited by Mummy2RyanandAlex, 08 September 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#36 luke's mummu

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostMummy2RyanandAlex, on 08 September 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Not late at all to be asking this question, I knew the venue i was working at and the address  it had it all written on there already.  I just didnt know the answer to "that"  question. I asked on the morning and was told to write the suburb of the venue. When I asked the person in charge everyone else spoke up and they said they didnt know what  to write either.

My apologies I thought you meant you didn't know where you were working! That would have been a bit of a disaster.

#37 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

View Postluke, on 08 September 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

My apologies I thought you meant you didn't know where you were working! That would have been a bit of a disaster.

Thats, ok, I probably didnt word my question very well. It would have been a huge disaster if i didnt know where i was working lol
:)

#38 tibs

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

So how did you all go?  Get out of there before midnight?  I think this would be a much better gig in some of those smaller rural booths than in the big metro booths :)

#39 summer80

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

I worked in a small rural booth (only me and an OIC). Was there from 7am - 10.30pm ish so a loooong day but very interesting.

Pretty disappointed we didn't have a sausage sizzle outside the booth though!

After saying it 400 + times over the course of the day I think I was reciting the how to fill in the ballot paper spiel in my sleep last night....

#40 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well I finished at 10.30. Spent the day rotating between Ballot Box Guard, Queue Controller and Ballot Paper Issuer. The sausage sizzle people were awesome and came in to see what we wanted on a regular basis.

Was absolutely exhausted yesterday.

#41 Blondiebear

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

I was out by 9:30! Very quiet booth. I actually really enjoyed the day, despite being exhausted by the end of it. We weren't rotated through the jobs which was odd, the OIC's son and daughter were both working there too and they did turns of queue controller and ballot box guard, the rest of us didn't.

#42 luke's mummu

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostBel Rowley, on 09 September 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

I was out by 9:30! Very quiet booth. I actually really enjoyed the day, despite being exhausted by the end of it. We weren't rotated through the jobs which was odd, the OIC's son and daughter were both working there too and they did turns of queue controller and ballot box guard, the rest of us didn't.

I had a simliar thing happen last election - 1 of the polling officers broke her right arm a few days previously - she could still work but couldn't write, and was a lot slower counting votes. So she got put on the ballot guard box all day. I felt that she got the easiest job all day. I love being a ballot box guard!

#43 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

We finished at 10.00pm We were all rotated during the day. We all got 2  half hour breaks as well. It was a long, busy day, but I really enjoyed it. I have just received a lovely email from the OIC.

#44 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Does anyone know when we get paid?

#45 Kucingcantik

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

I received an email saying we would be paid tomorrow - 19th September and should receive payslips by the end of the week.

#46 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Thank you

#47 Coffeegirl

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

I work in the same building as an AEC office and they've hired out extra offices for the past few weeks,  

People still in there counting and double checking ballots today :)   One of the women and I were chatting in the lift and she said they had to take regular breaks as they got quite crossed eyed looking at the NSW senate papers all day :lol:

#48 blueskies12

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

Anyone got any tips for working at a polling booth for the election tomorrow? Do you know if you get taxed much if it's a secondary income?

Edited by blueskies12, 01 July 2016 - 05:02 PM.

#49 MarigoldMadge

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:11 PM

get an early night

Bring food and water and warm layers - some places I've worked at have been iceboxes

Bring change for the sausage sizzle

Take your breaks seriously

Respect the process - voters will complain about everything, from the wait to the size of the senate paper to the "silly questions" - just smile and keep them moving

Don't be afraid to ask a question to clarify something

Be proactive after 6 pm - if everyone is pitching in with packup, counting, packing etc, the faster everyone gets to go home.

Tax - no idea.

#50 jamesandi

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

Seat cushion
Comfortable clothes and shoes
Drink bottle
Muesli bars and lollies
Lollies to share at pack up
Sandwiches, tea and coffee
Take breaks

I have been doing it for 20 years both tiny and large booths.
Sometimes it gets overlooked regarding breaks so just tee it up with who you are sitting next to. Especially toilet breaks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.