Working on Election Day at polling booth

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 qak

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

View Postwombats, on 07 July 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

So in the end were the informal votes with only 1 above the line for the senate counted/included using the vote saving provisions?

I don't think they have got that far yet, but my understanding is that as long as it was clear what your intention was, the vote was counted. Obviously no preferences though.

#102 JustBeige

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:24 AM

Did everyone get paid yet?

Just in case this thread jumps back up next election time.

I got a whole $18 per hour.  Thats pretty woeful tbh.  Its not like they just dragged me in off the street.  The applying process was quite detailed, so my expectations of being paid fairly for working 17hrs wasnt unreasonable I don't think.

I will have to consider whether I apply next time or not. I did find it interesting though.

#103 MummyMumbler

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

I'm the original poster with a new user name.

I got paid today. Works out to just over $20 an hour so not great money but it's not hard work and it's interesting.

Probably won't do again next time unless I don't have a job.

#104 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

You wouldn't do it for the money but I 'Ve always enjoyed the whole experience, especially getting to talk to so many people I hadn't seen for ages. First time I worked we were paid around $300 for 18 hours work, or $11 an hour.

#105 JustBeige

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostFeral Grey Mare, on 14 July 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

You wouldn't do it for the money but I 'Ve always enjoyed the whole experience, especially getting to talk to so many people I hadn't seen for ages. First time I worked we were paid around $300 for 18 hours work, or $11 an hour.
Do you remember how many years ago that was?
I'm wondering if my friends memory was not right.  She was always paid around the same $$ as I got and she is in her 70s and has been doing these most of her adult life.  (never an OIC, just a person who handed out the ballots etc), so I would have expected it to at least rise in line with CPI or some compensation for unpaid overtime.

ETA: to finish train of thought!

#106 Delirium

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

I haven't been paid yet, but I hope it comes in soon!

#107 JustBeige

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostDelirium, on 14 July 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

I haven't been paid yet, but I hope it comes in soon!
I looked it up the other day.  They have 3 weeks to pay from date of election. So max waiting time should be end of next week.

When will I be paid?

If you are employed to work on Election Day only, you can expect to be paid within three weeks following Election Day.

http://www.aec.gov.a...2016/faq.htm#q2

#108 UniKitty

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

$400 for 16.5 hours works out to about $24 p/hour. Not too bad for what is fairly easy work, albiet a very long day.

As a pp said, I don't really do it for the cash though. I enjoy the community atmosphere and feeling a part of the election process.

#109 katpaws

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

$400 for 16.5 hours works out to about $24 p/hour. Not too bad for what is fairly easy work, albeit a very long day.

Same rate works out for me.

However i did work the night before and am concerned about being paid for that as i wasn't scheduled to work then and the 2nd OIC has that component in their pay (they did not come to the set up the night before). I'm hoping $21 per hour.

I found it exhausting as i had worked 7am-10pm the night before (five hours for the election and my usual 8 hour day job) so working 7am-11pm election night was tiring. I worked really hard, and put more effort in than some people there (but that's me lol).

I did it solely for the money. We need extra cash and what was i going to be doing on Saturday? Nothing much, just avoiding working on my uni studies. It is an interesting experience but it should pay more and the AEC should pay for dinner and get some pizzas or something for the staff. I think the worst part is being in some dingy kitchen by yourself and giving up on using the microwave that was built in the 1970s and eating your food lukewarm.

#110 JustBeige

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostUniKitty, on 14 July 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

$400 for 16.5 hours works out to about $24 p/hour. Not too bad for what is fairly easy work, albiet a very long day.

As a pp said, I don't really do it for the cash though. I enjoy the community atmosphere and feeling a part of the election process.
Is that what hit your account though? (you dont have to answer :)  )  I was quoted $402, but after tax only got $308.

Katpaws, I did it for the $$ also.  I was encouraged by friends as it was always considered 'good money' but when you take into all the unpaid O/T hours you are working.... and then after tax.  yeah not so much.

But. everyone has their own experience and opinion :)

#111 qak

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

If you don't think the pay was sufficient for the hours worked, especially for KP who worked the night before/ those who did duties over what was specified - send an email to the contact person in your area (not the OIC, permanent AEC staff).

DH has done that because for the extra hours of training he did, having to leave work early to get to the training, insufficient breaks, disorganisation on the day - it isn't realistic money.  No answer yet, but it has been referred up the chain twice now.

FWIW the OICs did get 10% more, across the board.

#112 UniKitty

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostJustBeige, on 14 July 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

Is that what hit your account though? (you dont have to answer :)  )  I was quoted $402, but after tax only got $308.

Katpaws, I did it for the $$ also.  I was encouraged by friends as it was always considered 'good money' but when you take into all the unpaid O/T hours you are working.... and then after tax.  yeah not so much.

But. everyone has their own experience and opinion :)

$395 hit my account yesterday but I chose to claim the tax free threshold so I expect that's why tax is minimal.

#113 Lesley225

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

I had the day off before working on teh Sat as I felt I'd never make it after how I feel after a normal week of getting far too little sleep.

But it was an exhausitng and long day.  I only slept about 7 hours on the night but was tired and cold in the afternoon and had a nap for nearly 7 hours - got up around 9.30 pm and ended up eating something at 2 am, went to bed at 3.30 and got up for work at 7.30 then needed a few days to get my sleeping patterns back.

Could hardly walk the next morning from touching the ground so much for counting the senate papers.  But was OK after a day my right shoulder was sore for about a week, reaching for the senate papers when handing them out.  My arms are quite  short and I've had trouble before with mouse use.

#114 jdl

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

View PostJustBeige, on 03 July 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to give feedback

I did it last year in the State Election at the polling place in Sydney's most densely populated suburb.  I worked from 06.30 until 24.00 and while I am not workshy, I felt thoroughly exploited especially as other people were leaving, apparently with impunity, at around 18.30 , when we were just starting 'shift two' and starting to count the damn votes,  When I left at 24.00 there were still two and a half hours to go but I'd had enough and had not had a break since lunch at 12.30.

Sometime later I got a questionnaire thing via email and I gave frank feedback in the 'comments' part..  We also had a real piece of work in charge of the polling place so I had other things to complain about.   I did not do this for the money but I was still miffed at the idea of $378 (after tax) for 18 hours' work. My hourly rate in real life is more than that. It was interesting to see how it all worked but I have got it out of my system and  would not bother again.

ETA putting times in 24 hour time.

Edited by jdl, 15 July 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#115 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

View PostJustBeige, on 14 July 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Do you remember how many years ago that was?
I'm wondering if my friends memory was not right.  She was always paid around the same $$ as I got and she is in her 70s and has been doing these most of her adult life.  (never an OIC, just a person who handed out the ballots etc), so I would have expected it to at least rise in line with CPI or some compensation for unpaid overtime.

ETA: to finish train of thought!

This would have been 5-6 years ago. Last couple of elections we had a flying squad come in at 6.00 pm solely to count Senate votes so we were out the door by 9.00 which was good. Last election I was deputy polling place manager which paid better for less actual work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.