Working on Election Day at polling booth

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

So, I'm working for the election as a polling assistant. I'm supposed to start work at 7.30 and have to stay until 'some time after 6pm'.

Just wondering what to expect, what will I be doing apart from ticking people's names off, anything to keep in mind, etc.

They do say to take food, I know the school will be putting on a BBQ and cake stall but that's only until mid afternoon so I'm guessing I should take some snacks/sandwiches in case it goes late.

#2 PrincessPeach

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

If you are there ticking names off you usually stay to count the votes as well. Last time DH did a federal election he got home at 1am - that was about the same time most of the booths finnished. Besides the long day it isnt to stressful andyou are paid for the hours worked.

#3 emc002a

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Wear pants and joggers, often the Senate is counted on the floor, unlike the DVD scenario! lol

Take snack food or sandwiches, but bottles of water as well.  You may not get to eat a lot, it depends on the booth.  I remember being able to take lots of breaks at some booths and others only having one or two breaks.  One we got a break at the close of polling but some just start counting straight away.

Depending on the size of the booth and which state you are in - I have finished between 9pm and midnight.  The first few elections I got smaller booths in halls etc, this time again I am working at a school.  Most people seem to head for schools to vote at..so as you are at a school I would guess at least midnight you might finish.

#4 luke's mummu

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

I usually finish someitme between 10 and 11pm. Take a cushion for kneeling/sitting on the floor.  We usually have a lunch break around 11am - 1pm, then a dinner break around 4.30-5ish (start packing up the booths at 5.30). So a snack for the dinner break is a must, because once you start counting votes, you don;t stop until you finish at 10 or 11pm!

#5 qak

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Last time DH did it is was quite late - midnight I think.  He was not paid extra for the hours, it was a fixed rate for the whole day and ended up being pretty ordinary money if you based it on the actual hours :(

He is, however, doing it again!

#6 luke's mummu

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Oh yeah and where I've worked, it's not set meal breaks. Just long enough to go to the loo and eat and then you are back. So don't expect 1/2 hour for lunch - unless you have a VERY generous supervisor.

#7 Kafkaesque

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

It will undoubtably go until at the very least 8pm. Even the smallest booths I've never got out earlier than that.

Wear comfy cloths that you can sit on the floor in as often that's where you end up counting.

Take plenty of food morning and afternoon snacks and food for lunch and dinner. If you're a coffee drinker either take a thermos or own coffee/milk. There are often facilities to make it but not the coffee and milk.

#8 Kafkaesque

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 01 September 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

If you are there ticking names off you usually stay to count the votes as well. Last time DH did a federal election he got home at 1am - that was about the same time most of the booths finnished. Besides the long day it isnt to stressful andyou are paid for the hours worked.

You aren't paid for hours worked. It's set rate. A general polling assistant is paid $377 before tax for the day regardless of how long you're there.

I once worked past midnight as the reconciliation of votes got totally screwed and we had to recount twice!

#9 The Princess

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

I am also doing a polling booth on Saturday, but I have specified the time I can do, I am handing out how to votes for a particular candidate from 9am-12pm

#10 luke's mummu

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostThe Princess, on 01 September 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

I am also doing a polling booth on Saturday, but I have specified the time I can do, I am handing out how to votes for a particular candidate from 9am-12pm

Is that paid or volunteering? I am just curious as to whether canditated ever pay people to hand out the how to vote cards?

I have a friend who does it for the Christian democrats, but it isn't paid.

#11 kadoodle

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostThe Princess, on 01 September 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

I'd be surprised if you were paid, that's usually volunteer stuff for the true believers.  I'll be helping my father set up one of the booths, then sizzling sausages for a couple of hours for the school.

Hopefully I won't have to hang around and hand out fliers.  There's a bit of a "gentleman's agreement" that if someone loses a flier distributer, the other parties help out, so last election I handed out fliers for the Greens and a couple of times I've been dragged down to bring food/drinks/icy poles for everyone.

#12 Froggilicious

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm managing a polling booth this year and our instructions are to ensure all staff get a 30 min break every 5 hrs, with the second as close to 6pm as possible as after 6 counting starts and it's go, go, go. You won't be able to leave the building at all during the day so I'd take enough food to get you through to about 10.

Having said that I've worked polling booths where we've been done by 9pm and other booths where we were still accepting votes at 9pm from people who were in the que at 6  it really depends on the size of the polling place

Also just check your start time, I'm expecting staff by 7, but ignore me if your paperwork says 7.30.

#13 luke's mummu

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostFroggilicious, on 01 September 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

I'm managing a polling booth this year and our instructions are to ensure all staff get a 30 min break every 5 hrs, with the second as close to 6pm as possible as after 6 counting starts and it's go, go, go.

Either that's new or my previous supervisors ignored it!

But sounds good. Last time we started at 7.15am and at 12.30pm I had to ask for a toilet break as none had been offered to me or any of the other staff.

#14 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Prepare yourself to say "You haven't already voted in this election have you" 5000 times and then smile at the smart a..... answers.

Be ready to read rude things people write and draw on their ballot papers.

Do plenty of arm exercises because unfolding senate papers is not fun.

Resist temptation to punch the party scrutineers who lean all over you when you are counting papers after they have just been outside smoking.

#15 Froggilicious

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

View Postluke, on 01 September 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Either that's new or my previous supervisors ignored it!

But sounds good. Last time we started at 7.15am and at 12.30pm I had to ask for a toilet break as none had been offered to me or any of the other staff.

Dont think its new, but I got the impression in training that they have issues every year with OIC's not following the rules, they emphasised it pretty strongly.

#16 TinCatšŸ±

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I so wanted to work at this election.  

I was paid $50 to hand out how to vote cards for the Democrats about twelve years ago.

#17 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks to everyone ... Looks like I'm in for a long day but the extra dollars are going to be very handy.

#18 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

It really does depend on where you are and how busy.  Lots of one handed food is essential. I've worked the absentee/declaration vote tables in tourist areas and been flat out almost all day.  

#19 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

I am glad I have found this topic. I am working on Saturday as a polling assistant for the first time .I am a bit nervous. I am working at a school, so fingers crossed it wont be near midnight when I finish. I wonder why they dont pay you from start to finish, does anyone know why?

#20 MrsLexiK

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

How do you get into something like this? Are you employed normally by AEC?

#21 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostMrsLexiK, on 05 September 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Start here. http://www.aec.gov.au/employment/

#22 .Jerry.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

I was in charge of a polling booth about 10 years ago.  It was a small booth in a country area.  We were still there at 9.30 at night.  It was a very long day.  
Worst part was the scrutineers sitting there staring. :lol:

I chose not to run the booth at an outback spot I worked.  The lady who did run it ended up with 3 voters all day. :lol:  2 from the town and one truckie.  She did the school's gardening for the day.

#23 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostMrsLexiK, on 05 September 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

I went to the AEC website and filled out the forms under employment, then a few weeks ago I got an email stating where I was working and I had from memory 7 days to accept or decline.

#24 Blondiebear

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm also going to be a polling assistant for the first time this year. I had a call from my supervisor this morning, he said I would get 2 x 30 minute meal breaks plus a couple of 15 minute breaks. I was told to take lunch and dinner and a cushion. I know the pay is not actually great for how long the day will be, but I'm kind of looking forward to it, it will be interesting to be part of the process for a day.

#25 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hi, just a quick question. On the form that we have to take with us in the morning, it says (office address) Is this the address where we will be working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.