Do you believe in psychics?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Poppy-seed

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

So I don't believe in psychics/star signs all that kind of stuff. For my birthday 6 months ago some friends bought me a voucher to see a psychic they had all seen and thought was amazing. So off I go to the appointment. Walked out of it feeling the same as I went in. Yeah some stuff she said was spot on and a little weird but I thought 80% of everything either didn't make sense or was so generic it could have applied to anyone. In the 6 months since the appointment, three things she said have happened (friends engagement, sister pregnant, parents planning Europe holiday). The one thing I can't get out of my mind is when she told me I would have some difficulty with the conception or pregnancy or something but I'd eventually have a baby girl.
So now I cannot get this out of my mind. I'm constantly thinking I'm going to have a MC and if I do get past the 12 weeks I know I'll be worrying something else will go wrong.
I'm a rational person, in my mind I know this is silly but part of me is so scared and just waiting for something to happen.
Im even contemplating going back to the same lady under a new name and seeing what she says. What would you do?
Ah, feel better now I've said it. I haven't told anyone this - not even the hubby.

#2 Kay1

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

I wouldn't. My mum saw one when I was a kid. She went with two friends. For one of the friends most things were accurate, for mum about half. She told her other friend her husband would die in a car accident. She was really upset and scared. That was 30 years ago at least and he's still alive and well.

#3 Always amazed!

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

i dont know.. I have had a reading done by someone and they told me alot about myself and my kids. when asked if i would be pregnant again she said yes but not for many years and it would be a girl.. well this was only a few months ago..

I dont know.. Maybe what they see if you future then but one change in decision could change your future??

#4 Feral timtam

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

In psychic ability yes, in the ones that charge you for it, no.
I don't think being able to see the future is something you can access on demand. I do know it is possible as I have experienced precognitive dreams that definitely came true.

But being able to focus on a particular individual and accurately foretell events in their future is something that firmly has me in camp skeptic. I firmly believe that anyone who genuinely has that ability would have been driven crazy by it long before they are capable of focusing it enough to make a living out of it.

#5 ChexMix

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

A lot of people at any given time know someone who is pregnant, someone who's engaged and someone who's going on holiday! Don't stress about it Poppy-seed, fear sells so people use it. Just like newspapers do. Please please relax :)

Edit - that bit where you said you wanted to go back for reassurance? That's why she said it.

Edited by ChexMix, 08 August 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#6 9ferals

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Yes I believe in psychics, they aren't imaginary!
I don't believe in everything they say though.

#7 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

I came in via we are discussing, so sorry if I am sticking my nose in. I just couldn't help but reply.

I think this psychics are just very good at playing socil statistics to guess at likely events to occur in your life. For example, I am assuming that you are probably a similar age and socio-economic demographic to me (given you are breeding age, and have access to an internet connection). In the last 6 months, I have also had a friend get engaged, my sister (in-law) get pregnant, and my parents are planning a European vacation.

Marriage and pregnancy are pretty solid guesses to assume will occur in our peer group, and OS travel is very common in our parents demographic, so not exactly a wild guess.

Similarly, I don't mean to be a downer, but it is estimated that 1 in 5 pregnancies will end in miscarriage. They are remarkably common. Which actually makes predicting a miscarriage UNremarkable. If it happens, it is because it could happen to anyone. Not because it was your foretold destiny.

I am sorry this is playing on your mind so much.

#8 Poppy-seed

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Ahh thanks ladies. I've been reassured by you all already. I'm going to push what she said to the back of my mind and focus on the positive! So fricken excited to be preggers!

#9 Herewegoagain#3

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

I wouldn't believe it either. There's been lots of research done on psychics and they are just good at reading people 'lighting up' when what they say makes sense. Ad as PP's said - they make sweeping and general statements that apply to most people.

A few years ago before DH and I got married I went to one at a friend's hens night - I took my engagement ring off to 'test' her and she kept going on about how the person I was with wasn't the one but I would find him soon - when I told her I was engaged she still continued on and compared me to my friend who was on her hens and how 'happy' she was and that they were going to be together forever (they are now divorced and we are still happily married and expecting.....)

#10 ChexMix

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Just to add to what A~A said: currently in my immediate family my SIL is engaged, I am pregnant and my FIL just got back from a big o/s trip - and DH and I are both from quite small families! So the ones that 'came true' are not exceptional predictions at all :)

#11 3littlegents

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Apparently DH and I are going to have two kids and live on property with lots of hills...
Not sure if she told DS3 or this latest surprise addition-to-be..
Oh and she told me my Dad would die from a heart attack very soon and I should make peace with him... I didnt know we were fighting and 15 years later he is still as strong as an ox.

Edited by 3littlegents+1, 09 August 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#12 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

I don't believe in the ones you pay to go to - their information is far too vague and can apply to anyone so it is as if they are just guessing.  But I believe a lot of people have feelings about things but is is normally specific to their own life no one elses.

#13 Velociraptor

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Psychics are a crock. My SIL was told she'd never have children (and has 2). My mother was told she'd die in her 40s (she didn't - though considering she was a drug addict at the time the prediction was made, the guess itself wasn't very inspiring). The guesses psychics make are almost always vague or simply good educated predictions/reading of character - and when coming from a person with true convictions in what they're saying (I really believe the majority of psychics actually do think they're gifted) these predictions can be very convincing. The human brain also has a strong tendency to remember the 'hits' and forget the 'misses'.

Edited by Velociraptor, 09 August 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#14 kazzamama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Well each of my daughters made a prediction.... DD1(3) said I would have twins, and DD2(almost 2) said '5 babies!!'
I sure hope neither of them are psychic!!  :D

#15 raven74

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Stall readers, phone line psychics etc are often short course trained in deception and generalisation.

Then there are the wackos who truly believe they have a talent are are so left of centre even a believer guffaws (i.e the woman who told me I have a bobble headed alien guide on my left shoulder) but the desperate will pay to hear whatever sh*t they spout.

Then, if you are lucky, you come across a someone with a true talent.  These people do not charge, do not cause harm and do not advertise.

#16 SheBelieved

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

I've been to one absolutely incredibly psychic. She wasn't about predicting what would happen, more about what was happening in my life and the people in it. She was very very specific about a lot of personal things that she had no way of guessing and she left me feeling so happy because she wasn't trying to push me in a direction, just more give me an overview. I did tell her that I didn't want to hear anything about possible children but I couldn't resist asking if I would have them and she said a simple yes, and left it at that.
Then I had a friends Mum who claimed to be psychic just launch at me one day with so many inaccurate things but trying to be polite I just went along with it. She then tells me I'll only ever have one son. Gee, thanks lady, that didn't play on my mind over the following 3 years while we struggled to get pg with #2. Even though the rest of her "insights" were so far off the mark, I of course took that one on board. But over time I became more rational about it and realised that I was being silly.

#17 Moody Moo

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

I came in.via we are discussing firstly because I misread it as do you believe in physics, secondly I've had 3 "psychic" readings of different variations.
#1. My life will be marred by early tragedy, drug use/wayward behaviour but if I was really lucky I'd marry the town banker one day.
#2. I'm surrounded by the souls of children (and not in a positive way).
#3. My good relationship years are 31-33. That's it.

So far I've found life to be pretty freaking marvellous despite the best efforts of psychics to leave me curled up in the foetal position crying :)

Edited by Moody Moo, 11 August 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#18 ChexMix

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

Moody Moo I have read the title as "do you believe in physics" every single time since it appeared :ninja:

#19 #YKG

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

No I dont.

All of those people are very very good at reading body language even very subtle movements.
I went to one at an expo that was free for sh*ts and giggles and she was getting frustrated because when she asked me questions I either gave extremely vague answers or said to her "I dunno your the psychic you tell me"

I work with someone that goes weekly and was told that on valetines day she would receive 12 long stem roses at work. The day came and went and nope not a thing, she was told on her trip to Europe that she would be an italian man that she would marry, did she meet him, ah no not even close, she was told that she will have a baby, she is 52 and can't adopt due to age and we'd all be extremely surprised if she could physically have a baby. She believes it all and when you point out the obvious she makes excuses on why xyz didn't occur.

#20 KnightsofNi

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

No. And there is yet one to pass a double blind study.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.