Post your forum upgrade bugs here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
776 replies to this topic

#76 Paddlepop

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'm now trying EK on Chrome.

I can do paragraphs.

Good, but I like IE and not Chrome. I hope that you can fix the return thing in IE mods.

What about the font size/column width issue? I had to increase my zoom so that I could avoid getting a headache trying to read the tiny writing.

Cinnabubble, I could see italics previously.

#77 F.E.B.E

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

View Postcaninestorm, on 27 July 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Here is a screenshot. I cleared my cookies but it still looks like this...

Thanks caninestorm, if you could switch to another browser for the meantime, preferably Chrome, that may help until the issue is resolved.

#78 Therese

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

View Postskepticaemia, on 27 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

I get the feeling this may be user-error (sorry, you have enough to deal with without my ignorance!) ... but if you are in a post and want to jump to a new section (e.g. from Miscellaneous to Venting), I used to navigate by the drop-down menu at the bottom. How do I do it now?

The new software doesn't have the drop down menu option. We do apologise as lots of people did use it.

#79 JRA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Catalyst: the active topic lists ALL topics, it doesn't give an easy way of having all the forums you are interested in.

Has that gone?
Thanks

#80 cinnabubble

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks so much for the preview topic option. That's a huge enhancement.

#81 GeminiSix

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostTherese, on 27 July 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

The new software doesn't have the drop down menu option. We do apologise as lots of people did use it.

So if I am at the end of a topic that is 5 pages long, how do I get back to the main list of topics without pressing the back button 5 times? Maybe there is a quicker way to do it that I am unaware of, I used to use the jump to feature to quickly do this.

View PostTherese, on 27 July 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

So if I am at the end of a topic that is 5 pages long, how do I get back to the main list of topics without pressing the back button 5 times? Maybe there is a quicker way to do it that I am unaware of, I used to use the jump to feature to quickly do this.

#82 cinnabubble

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Select View New Content or Today's Active Topics from the left hand navigation.

#83 JRA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Adding to my question, I suppose, what does the follow forum do if it doesn't give you a list of subscribed forums. Maybe that the answer to that may help.

Thanks

#84 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostGeminiSix, on 27 July 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Or just go to the top of the page, and under the yellow banner, just click on the link you want - if you want to go back to the full list of all forums, click on Essential Baby, if you just want the subforum, click on the next on along, in this case, HouseKeeping and so on...

#85 Rilla

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postcinnabubble, on 27 July 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

How does that one work? I've only looked at it on my phone so far, so it might become obvious on a laptop.

Also, just adding my thanks for returning it to 40 posts/page.

#86 F.E.B.E

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

Or just go to the top of the page, and under the yellow banner, just click on the link you want - if you want to go back to the full list of all forums, click on Essential Baby, if you just want the subforum, click on the next on along, in this case, HouseKeeping and so on...

Correct, those links are called Breadcrumbs. They help you get back to where you were.

#87 cinnabubble

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostRilla, on 27 July 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

How does that one work? I've only looked at it on my phone so far, so it might become obvious on a laptop.

Also, just adding my thanks for returning it to 40 posts/page.

Hover over the topic title and you'll see a blue down arrow. Click on it and the topic will sort of expand and show you the first post. You then have the option of opening the topic properly.

#88 F.E.B.E

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Catalyst: the active topic lists ALL topics, it doesn't give an easy way of having all the forums you are interested in.

Has that gone?
Thanks

Have you looked under 'View new content' NOT 'View active topics'? There are filters to select items you follow, items you have started etc.

Also, 'notifications' shows updates to items you follow.

You can find that by using the full site version (not mobile skin) and hovering over a topic when you are in a forum or sub-forum view. Basically it lets you know if it is a topic that might interest you, particularly if the topic has a vague title.

#89 Nobody Cool

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

I know it is a tiny little thing but would it be possible to make people's usernames larger or in bold as per the previous incarnation of the forums. Great work on the upgrade.

#90 Fourteenyears

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

I like the preview feature too, and the member hover feature.

In terms of the page layout, I'd be happy to sacrifice font size in the navigation panel for a little bit of extra width in the actual reading/posting panel.  It's so narrow I feel like I'm reading on a mobile even though I'm actually sitting at a whopping great screen.

Also, is there any way of making the username at the top of each post slightly larger or bolder.  It's disconcerting when a post starts with a quote, because the name of the quoted person is so much larger and bolder than the name of the actual poster that you have to take time to sort out who says what.

But anyway, that's all cosmetic stuff that I'll get used to if it can't change.  Congratulations on the upgrade (which from memory of others seems relatively bug free), and thanks to those who worked through the night to make it happen as quickly as possible.

Edited by Eight.years, 27 July 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#91 munchmum

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'm on my mobile but it still looks like the full version, how do I get to the mobile version?

#92 cinnabubble

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

The mobile version is experiencing some problems. They're advising people to hold off on using it for a little while.

#93 F.E.B.E

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

View Poststop the tony!, on 27 July 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

I can't go back all the way through my post history, I can only see the last few posts and topics on my profile page?

Go to your profile page and click 'find content'. You'll be able to find topics and posts from the past year. (This is currently limited to make search faster)

#94 Therese

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

View Poststop the tony!, on 27 July 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

I can't go back all the way through my post history, I can only see the last few posts and topics on my profile page?

You need to click onto the find content button from your profile page and you can see more posts that way :)

Edited to say Amber's too fast for me :)

#95 F.E.B.E

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Oh dear, I think I am running out of 'likes' for the day (we all have 10). We really appreciate the kind messages and will make sure we pass them on to the tech team who have done the hard work.

#96 JRA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Have you looked under 'View new content' NOT 'View active topics'? There are filters to select items you follow, items you have started etc.

Also, 'notifications' shows updates to items you follow.

Thanks got it. It was view content, then each time  click on "by section" forums, as it default to "by section - topics".

Somehow it now goes over three pages, but that is easily solved by subscribing to less forums and spending less time here :smile:

#97 Hodor55

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

I don't like how 'Edited by whatsherface at whatevsoclock' comes up in such big grey font, much more noticeable than usernames.

Sometimes I edit immediately after I've posted, because of rushing a reply and spacing or spelling mistakes, and this just screams 'Look everyone, she stuffed up this post!'

#98 Rilla

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

View Postcinnabubble, on 27 July 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Hover over the topic title and you'll see a blue down arrow. Click on it and the topic will sort of expand and show you the first post. You then have the option of opening the topic properly.
Thanks. I'll check it out on my laptop, as I don't think that's going to work on my phone or tablet.

#99 ZombieFerretOfDoom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Not happy that the avatars have gone. That was one of the main ways I'd distinguish posters. Agree with others that the name above the post needs to be made clearer, there is not enough distinction between posts.

Also, at the risk of being labelled a rabid fembo, isn't it a bit ridiculous that when configuring your profile information, the default gender option is male? I mean, I know that the default gender is always set to male every-bloody-where, and this is probably a standard setting that can't be changed, but considering the proportion of women in this site is seems a bit ridiculous not to have the default as female.

Edited by RobotFerretOfDoom, 27 July 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#100 cinnabubble

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

View Poststop the tony!, on 27 July 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

I can't hover and get a preview of a thread?
You need to click on the grey/blue down arrow that appears when you hover.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.