The "Other" messages folder in Facebook that you prob don't know existed!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Peanut

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Came across this article about a relatively unknown folder in your Facebook Messages section.  I only had 4 "secret" messages, all spam, so nothing telling me I was heiress to a great fortune, or anything exciting.  sad.gif

The "other" folder

#2 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Interesting- thanks OP.

#3 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thanks! I just checked mine and found a 9 month old message from an old friend in there!

#4 TheGreenSheep

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Ive had that problem before. its where the messages go when your not 'friends' with someone.

Its also where my stalker SIL hate mail goes, but that was before she was blocked. Silly cow  rolleyes.gif .

#5 aprilrain

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

I wish it was more obvious too. Apparently if you aren't somebodies 'friend" this is where your message goes. I'm not sure if you send it at the same time as a message request. I think if they accept it gets flipped over from there into the 'inbox'.

Does anyone know?

I had sent a lovely message to a friend, but not a friend request, I had lost contact with and was devastated when she never replied. About 8mths later I got a message AND a friend request from her.

#6 Justaduck

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Yep so many people have never heard of it. I click over to it once a week or so just in case.
I was getting messages when PMing strangers (buy, swap, sell pages) telling me to pay up or my message would go to their others folder, but haven't seen that in a little bit

#7 HeroOfCanton

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I checked it a few weeks ago, and found a series of messages from someone telling me Atlas was fugly & a bad baby (they spelled his name wrong though...)
So weird

#8 RedBob

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I had 59 messages going back to 2010, none of which was interesting in the slightest biggrin.gif

#9 Bluenomi

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

I know about the others folder but it tells me I have something in there but when I check it's empty! So annoying, I can't get rid of that annoying number!

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I check mine often because I buy off a FB selling site and the PM's between members often go into the 'others' folder....before this I had no idea about it but found some interesting stuff in there. original.gif

#11 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Obviously no-one loves me, everyone hates me cause my "other" was empty. sad.gif

Off to eat worms.

#12 Cherubs

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I love my others folder, loads of men think I am hawt and say the most lovely things to me, my favourite being 'I was just going through profiles on here and your picture got blood jumping
around in my veins like a ball on a roller coaster..' Tounge1.gif my profile pic was of the full moon at the time LOL.

I am starting to wonder if i look desperate and dateless by the sheer number of men who want to know me better Tounge1.gif.

#13 darcswan

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

You know, I always thought I was reasonably tech savvy, but I never knew this!  Just clicked on mine to find a message from an old friend (plus a bunch of invitations to things I'd never seen sad.gif )

Thanks Peanut original.gif

#14 gabbigirl

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Bluenomi @ 23/07/2013, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know about the others folder but it tells me I have something in there but when I check it's empty! So annoying, I can't get rid of that annoying number!

This is happening to me too!  annoying!

#15 vanessa71

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

I discovered the 'other' folder a couple of years ago.

#16 Ange

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

I had 20. 1 very important one from a dear friend asking advice  the rest spam/junk.

#17 BetteBoop

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I stumbled upon it last week because someone I'm in a group (but not friends with) with insisted she messaged me but I couldn't find it.

I had some rabid forced birther screaming at me (in caps) about my discuting attitude to the preciousness of life and miracel of God's blessing that is pregnancy and did I know I was supporting the murder of beautiful babies?

I replied to her with 3 words.I wonder if anyone can guess what they were.

#18 Liz Lemon

Can you get to it from an iPhone?

I can't find it.

#19 Therese

I have checked mine for a while after getting a message from an old friend turn up there. Since then I only have spam like posts.

#20 ellebelle

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thanks...just a few men lovin' my smile in mine!

#21 qak

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I won $750,000!

But I also found a 3yo message from a guy at school which says " ... high school was a distant and unfriendly world that i don't wish to look back at ... i have a life now where my differences are assets, not fodder for fools. (not that i have anything negative against most of the girls at school) ... not to just collect people from my past ..." - gee, I guess he doesn't want to be my FB friend  ddown.gif

#22 Liz Lemon

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Ok got it.

Had to log in to the desktop site (from my phone). Otherwise it defaults to the mobile site and I don't think you can get to the folder from there.

Didn't have anything of importance but thanks heaps for telling us about it!

#23 feral strawberry

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

I found the other folder about a year ago. In amongst all the spam was a message saying I won a comp ( legit one I had entered on FB) and I won 2 tickets to see a band!!!

Too bad the concert was a year earlier and I paid for my tickets. Damn!!!!

Now I check the folder on a regular basis lol

#24 Ranunculus

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

I had a famous DUBSTEP artist asking if I can give him my Facebook name which I chose a few years ago.

And lots of fan mail for said dubstep artist lol

#25 Awesome101

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

I just found a "Change of Date to Christmas Party" message that would have been handy in 2008…

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.