Due in September, 2013 #8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
130 replies to this topic

#51 theweehaggis

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

5 weeks to go (ish).. eek.i cannot wait to get my body back.. i feel possesed... and getting very frustrated at not being able to do things. Lately even walking is tricky. Feel like ive been on a horse for s week having never ridden!.. bending to pick things up is tricky... like a giraffe drinking lol.. looking forward to being able to play with DD again ... and having a little brother or sister will be great (eventually!).. rant over lol.. hope everyone is doing ok... not the comfiest of times ahead but we're on the home straight!

#52 Gambit la Feralé

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

I'm similar theweehaggis.

I'm looking forward to not having swollen hands and feet :-/

I started Mat leave on Monday just gone and this whole week has been a process of assembling flat pack drawers on my own (which is mighty difficult might i add!) going through our bedroom, study and spare stuff/baby's room and hallway ....washing/scrubbing walls, sweeping, vacuuming and mopping then organising.  gah!

We have the baby shower this saturday coming and we're trying to make the house presentable for everyone....and seeing as we're pretty lax with housekeeping, it's a bit of a task!

I'm 34weeks today Huzzah!

Is anyone else yet to have their baby shower?  My sister and I are doing a joint effort but it's turned into the massive extravaganza as we're having a high tea....and all 32 people agreed to come surprisingly. So we've had to source a popup marquee for the backyard and hire tables and chairs........and then making the food.....phwoar.  This week is going to be busy - first attempt at macaroons so wish me luck!!

I hope everyone else is going well anyways!

#53 brain

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Good luck at the macarons!  I've never tried to make them... I'd probably get all lazy and just go buy them from woolworths!

I've spent a bit of this evening assembling the cot!  the room is definitely starting to take shape.  I think all the big things are in there now - time to add some colour and wall decorations i think.

Four weeks left at work (not that I'm counting)

#54 bec_1108

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Weehaggis, I know that "been riding a horse" feeling! It's like there's so much pressure down there!

Gambit, good luck with the baby shower. I'm sure it will be lovely and the macaroons will be yummy! I'm not much of a baker so no tips from me unfortunately!

Brain, have fun with the nursery decorating. I loved sticking all the decals on the walls :)

AFM, haven't had a great day. My mat leave replacement started, and I took her down the street for a coffee. On the way back to the office, I tripped on a deceptively flat piece of pathway and fell, sprawled onto the concrete :( I was wearing a dress because it was so warm, so grazed my legs, ankles and hands pretty good. Thankfully I didnt land on my stomach, and managed some sort of mid-air twist to land on my hip/butt. My mat leave replacement was lovely and helped me up, and gave me a hug because I was a bit shaken up! I got some first aid for the grazes and felt ok. I was a bit worried over the next couple of hours because baby seemed a bit quiet, so rang my OB and was told to come in this afternoon. He checked everything out and said all looked fine, but decided to send me to the delivery suite for CTG monitoring just to be sure. It was a bit surreal lying there in the hospital, but everything turned out ok and they sent me home. So I've had a pretty stressful day and I'm a bit tired and dopey! I did the first week of Calm Birth on the weekend so it was good to come home and practise some of the relaxation techniques.

Well that's enough of me! Hope everyone else is going well!

#55 Embiemum

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Oh Bec, that's not good. but glad things are fine. I managed to fall twice in one week a couple of weeks ago..not as badly as you, I just had a badly grazed knee. But it does shake you up (and I felt like an idiot).

Well I finished up work on Friday to start maternity leave, I was sooo ready. Unfortunately 2.5 hours later I ended up in hospital, my feet had swollen suddenly and my BP was a lot higher than normal. Anyway Iwas there for the weekend..with hints that I might have to stay until Embie is born :(..luckily they managed to get my BP down with meds and I was sent home, I just have to go in for a day stay on Wednesday for more monitoring. So things are a bit up in the air but my little girl is 37  weeks now so even if I had to deliver, she's looking good.

Anyway it was all a bit unexpected..and who knows, I may still go to 40 weeks. I managed to get some last miute shopping down today, anyone finding shopping difficult? Omg, I'm glad I don't really have anything else to buy..just lots of washing to do :)

I hope everyone is well.

#56 againagain

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hi everyone. Well we are all moved into our new house! Unfortunately we are only living in half of it as the other half is getting painted. Hopefully my kids can move in to their own rooms today or tomorrow.....I have NO idea where any baby stuff is other than the three suits and two blankets I bought and popped in the hospital bag. No singlets, no nothing! Eeep. We have boxes and stuff everywhere, my kids clothes are in drawers in the dining area lol - and today I have been feeling such a horrid grinding sensation down low. I had to pull up while driving as it was so bad. Got home and looked in the mirror and decided my belly has dropped :dry:  Not yet, not yet not yet! I'm sure nothing will happen, it could just be my imagination - I am an 'extra-long gestator' after all. Might get a pack of nappies though while I am picking up the kids from school. I'm sure if a baby comes at 36 weeks though it will have to stay in for a few days?

Anyway better go get on with things. I'm pretty sure my entire body is cracking the poos with me, I'm SO exhausted all the time, feel like I'm running on empty. Need a holiday!!

#57 HurryUpAlready

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi ladies. I hope you are all well and coping ok with these last horrid weeks of pregnancy.

Bec, what a fright your fall must have given you! I hope you're feeling ok now.

Embiemum... The sudden swelling must have been scary. Were they thinking it was pre-eclampsia? I'm glad it all seems ok and hopefully you'll get another couple of weeks at home before bub makes her arrival.

Againagain, how are you feeling? What sucky timing to get so sick. And what pigs the previous occupants of that house were. I don't know how people can do that. I hope you had some cleaners through to help you out. That's what I did - x 2! I had them clean the new house the morning we moved in (it was full of dust & dirt etc after the reno works DH had done) and I had them clean the rental once we'd moved out. It took so much work off my plate and just meant I could concentrate on unpacking and getting settled. I hope you're in the new house and feeling back to normal again.

We are fairly settled into our new home, except for the fact that everything I can't find a place for has been shoved into the baby's room and it's chock a block full of stuff! I guess that's one of my next jobs, but first I'll go through all of DD's baby clothes and pull all of the neutral newborn clothes out for washing & sorting. At least that way baby will have clothes to wear if it comes early, even if it doesn't have a bedroom. The bassinett is on wheels so I can move that around the house until the room is sorted.

I had my 36 week visit with the OB yesterday and she estimates bub is measuring 3.075kg currently, which is what DD weighed when she was born. She wants to keep an eye on the size of this baby and by reading between the lines, I'm assuming that means she may want to induce me a bit early if it's looking like a whopper. She suggested I really keep my diet clean & healthy to try and avoid bub getting too big, but there is no way I am giving up my nightly bowl of chocolate obsession ice cream! I'll probably regret that as I'm trying to push out a big fat giant baby.

So, we are all pretty close now. I guess we might start to hear of some early arrivals soon! (although not too early I hope).

Just in case I'm not back to catch up in the near future, best of luck to everyone with your deliveries and I'm looking forward to hearing of all the new arrivals and their names (speaking of which we have not chosen yet!!).

xxx

ETA: againagain, my post crossed with yours. Singlets??? I need to go shopping! DD was a February baby so all her clothes are short leg/sleeve summer outfits and I don't remember her wearing singlets. I'd better get to the shops and buy some warmer newborn clothes I think. Hope your bubba stays inside long enough for you to get organized.

Edited by HurryUpAlready, 13 August 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#58 Copperain

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Went to see the OB today, both babies have not turned, and it is very unlikely that they will since they are so squished up in there. SO I am now booked in for a C-sec on 3rd September! I can't believe that unless they decide to choose their own earlier birthdate, this will be the day that I meet my little babies!

#59 againagain

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

LOL @ the singlets HurryUpAlready - I'm guessing it depends where you live too - in Vic it is still pretty chilly! A friend in QLD says it is 27 there. Half their luck!!

Copperrain - OOOOHHHHH an eviction date!! That is really not far away either, how exciting!!

I shouldn't be on here, I wasted all my phone data letting my 3yo watch ABC kids film clips when the tv wasn't set up haha, so it will prob cost me a fortune! In breaking news I FOUND MY BABY STUFF lol. Have washed all the little clothes and waiting for some line space to do the blankets. Yay!!

#60 Nickles

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Wow, what craziness we're all going through!

Againagain - glad you found the clothes! I hope the painting is done quickly so that you can settle into the rest of your place!

Bec - I'm sorry to hear about your fall! I grazed my knee last week too (trying to rescue my dog from a dog attack - a long story, but overall everyone is doing ok) and it sucked! Glad you didn't fall on bump & all turned out ok. At least your mat leave replacement sounds like a lovely person :)

Embiemum - how did you go at the hospital today?

Copperain - yay!!! A definite date (as long as they wait that long!) to meet your twins!!! How exciting :)

AFM: started getting the swollen hands & feet over the weekend :( super uncomfy! Bubs was at 2/5 engagement at my last OB appt just over a week ago (34 wks). She was at 3/5 for about 4 weeks before that & has been head down for that whole time too, so overall it's good news, just uncomfortable & constantly needing to wee!!! I just can't wait to meet bubba, but then weighing that up with wanting to keep her in for as long as possible for her sake! I'm not very patient though...

#61 mini-us

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

@Copperrain: I wish you all my best, my mum had a c-section for my siblings, as they both were heads up too, and they put her completely under for it, so she didn't meet them til way later. I hope all will go well with yours, do you know what they will be? And don't forget to pick a lot of names, for every combination!

Otherwise I'm still feeling very well, I think I got the good end of the whole pregnancy deal - no swelling, peeing still ok, balance fine too. Bubba is still heads up, I got a number for a chiro to call to try to turn, and if that doesn't work the hospital will do an ECV in week 37/38.

The only thing that freaks me out: I have no bloody idea how to be a mum - I never held a newborn or a baby, the youngest baby I ever touched was 5.5 month, and I was always very indifferent to the whole baby and mum deal. My sis and my sis-in-law, they always had MUM stamped on their forehead, but not me, no way - I was the tomboy, my nanna got me a doll cos I was playing with cars which wasn't right for girls and I very famously ripped the head of doll off. And my mum still tells the story at every family gathering on how I tried to "kill" my siblings. I'm not even worried about the birth, but about all the stuff that comes afterwards :|

Lucky me hubby has some experience with babies with his sons, but he's working away, so except for a few days after the birth (which he might not even make) I will be alone - totally freaky!

For all of you who don't feel that well, take as much rest as possible and let your better half or any friends do the work. Or even put off finishing the nursery til after the birth, all you need now is some clothes and a bassinet, where even a washing basket will do :)

#62 bec_1108

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

View Postmini-us, on 17 August 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

The only thing that freaks me out: I have no bloody idea how to be a mum - I never held a newborn or a baby, the youngest baby I ever touched was 5.5 month, and I was always very indifferent to the whole baby and mum deal. My sis and my sis-in-law, they always had MUM stamped on their forehead, but not me, no way - I was the tomboy, my nanna got me a doll cos I was playing with cars which wasn't right for girls and I very famously ripped the head of doll off. And my mum still tells the story at every family gathering on how I tried to "kill" my siblings. I'm not even worried about the birth, but about all the stuff that comes afterwards :|

This is totally me as well! In the last week or so, I've been having the occasional "OMG what have I done?" freak out!! I'd never really wanted babies, never had anything to do with them, and now I'm going to be responsible for one! It blows my mind! The birth doesn't bother me either. It's definitely the stuff afterwards. Everyone keeps telling me I'll be fine and I'll be great mum, but I just have so much self doubt.

#63 brain

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

mini-us - i'm a bit in the same boat!  My best friend had a baby last week (but she lives in a different city), so I'm now up to about 15 min of newborn baby holding...  he was sleeping so there wasn't too much difficulty to it!  My DH has a rother that was born when he was about 12, so feels he will remember some of that...  25 years is a long time though!

I've never changed a nappy!  Or fed a baby.  A tried to dress one.  Or willingly gotten up at 3am!

People have been learning this for a long time though.  how hard can it be?!?!  :p

We have a full day class at the hospital tomorrow, so I'm hoping some basics will be covered.

#64 brain

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

Bec - the birth bothers me too now!  I made the mistake last week of watching some youtube clips of breech birth (given bub is still the wrong way up), and then c-secs.  lets just say I'm currently searching for a third option.  Teleportation?

#65 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Haha mini us, I don't know if experience helps that much until you are doing it for real by yourself. I've got 10+ years of caring for kids, and thought, oh ok, well apart from BF, coz I haven't done that (but can try and teach someone how to do it) this should be easy.
Scratch that, it's not 'easy' but you figure it out together, all 3 of you. You try things out and figure out what works and what doesn't and then you stick with it, and share your tips with other friends.... make sure you at least try out a mothers group, mine were completely invaluable and now, 2 years on some of my best friends. We still catch up at least weekly, and we all have something to bring to the table.
You'll be fine, ask for help if you feel like you need it, and enjoy figuring it all out. What works for one family might not work for another, so it's all a bit of an adventure (and you learn to let go of the 'I'll never do that's....'

#66 bec_1108

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Brain, yes I'm sure we will all be ok! Hope your bub turns. Teleportation sounds like a good option :)

Finished the Calmbirth course on the weekend and have to say it's changed my attitudes on birth. I was previously secretly hoping for a c-section, because I've had abdominal surgery, so I know what that's like, whereas I've never had to push anything out my vagina before! Anyway, now I'm totally hoping for a vaginal birth, and hopefully without pain relief, although I'll take it if I need it.

The only frustrating thing is that I'm off to see an endocrinologist next week because my GD is not under control with diet. So I might need to go on insulin, but we'll see what she says. I am still suffering low blood sugar from time to time, so I'm a bit worried what will happen if insulin lowers it further.

#67 Gambit la Feralé

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

I've seen both vaginal and c-sections and have been keen to give vaginal delivery a crack (though if bub goes breech I certainly won't complain). But after watching some more vaginal births on youtube and actually thinking about my poor hoo-haa......well the whole process is a little daunting.

We had our baby shower over the weekend and it went really well.  The macaroons were fantastic (yay!) and I think everyone had a good time :) . We were VERY VERY lucky, we had some friends purchase a change table/bath combo thing, the IL's are purchasing us a breastfeeding chair (!) and another couple of friends went all out and got me a MIMCO nappy bag!!

Another friend also made us an amazing quilt based on "The very hungry caterpillar". It's a work of art.

So I've had to do a minor re-arrangement of the nursery for the chair and it's starting to feel a bit more real.

I just find it hard to fathom that in one month, we're going to have a little person to look after. It still doesn't really feel real.

#68 HurryUpAlready

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Hi everyone, how are you all doing?

Gambit, you are a lucky girl!! Sounds as though your baby shower was fabulous and how exciting, having lots of new baby stuff to play with.

I had my weekly OB check up today and basically, if I want to be induced after next week's visit, I just have to pick a date it seems. I'll be examined next Tues to make sure my cervix is softening / starting to open and as long as it is, induction is fine. I'll be 38+3 at my next visit, so I guess I'm ok with going any time after that.

So now I'm experiencing a bit of guilt. On one hand I would love to just wait it out and go into labour on my own when bubba / my body is ready. On the other hand, I am SO over being uncomfortable, of having heartburn, of peeing at night that I have a feeling I will find the offer of induction too tempting.

I was induced with DD (had to be because I wasn't allowed to go past my due date because of GD) so letting it happen on its own this time is ideally what I'd like... but I'm getting very impatient!

Is anyone else being offered an induction?

#69 Copperain

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

View Postbrain, on 17 August 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

I've never changed a nappy!  Or fed a baby.  A tried to dress one.  Or willingly gotten up at 3am!

Yup this is how I feel, though I am sure we will all be pros in no time!

My partner has a friend with a two year old daughter who to this day has never changed or even touched a dirty nappy. So naturally my DP thought that he would be able to get away with the same thing! I was like 'Um EXCUSE ME?? We have TWINS!!??' He would be changing those darn nappies whether we had one baby or five!

HurryUpAlready On Wednesday I found out that both my babies have now turned! So I will be induced on the 2nd of Sept no! (Happy Dance). But if by then they decided to turn back, I still have my C-Section date on the 3rd.

I Don't know how I feel about being induced. I always knew it would be a possibility as my hospital don't like twins going over 38 weeks. But I am kind of thinking that from this weekend I might try some natural self inducement. If it doesn't work then I know that I will be meeting them very soon anyway!

I just can't believe that this is all only 10 DAYS AWAY!!

Has anyone else had extreme swelling in their feet? I have had the swelling for quite some time now and it was manageable. But over the last few days they have been so swollen that the skin between my toes is so far stretched that it hurts to walk! I do all the things they tell you to, like put your feet up, drink lots of water. And my partner massages them every couple of days to relieve the pressure. They actually swell all the way up to my knees, so it is all one big fat tree trunk down there!

The OB checked for pre-eclampsia last week and that came out negative thank goodness. I am just over having my feet up constantly and barely being able to walk!

Wow sorry for the long post! May be a bit TLDR :) Hope everyone is enjoying these last few weeks and are not experiencing too much discomfort!

#70 brain

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

ha.  there is NO WAY DH is getting away without nappy changing.  to be fair though, he has decided the work split should be i look after 'inputs', and he gets 'outputs'.  I'm happy with that ;)

Good to hear your twins have turned!  Did you feel it happening?  at my appointment on tuesday, our bub was still head-up, so dr has started talking c-sec in week 38...

as for swelling, i've been reasonably ok so far (touch wood), except on the days i fly, in which case the cankles are impressive.  Husband is getting very good at foot massages!

#71 tigs17

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hi all,
I have had my little baby Serena at 34 weeks (last wednesday). I was discharged on Monday, and have really never left hospital as I visit little Serena 3/day in neonatal intensive care. Apart from the first 2 days of breathing, feeding, abdominal issues and jaundice, she has been a fighter. She is on monitoring and fed via tube-but I can now breastfeed 3 x /day :) I express 2-3 hourly during the day and 4 hourly at night and have managed to have only required 3 little mls of formula on day 3 of her life. I will post a photo soon. Hope everyone else is travelling well.

#72 ceevee

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

Tigs, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You're our first mummy. LOVE the name, that is gorgeous. Welcome to the world your beautiful girl and god bless your angel in heaven. Sounds like she is a major league fighter!! Hope you are doing well.

#73 Copperain

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Yay Tigs congratulations! I am so glad to hear that she is doing well. I hope you are feeling good as well, I can imagine it would be hard to leave her in the NICU every night. Serena is a beautiful name!

Brain, I think I know when one of them turned. There was a lot of stretching, pushing and rolling going on in my belly. My DP was amazed at how much my tummy was moving! I am still feeling a bit of similar stretching and rolling so I am just hoping that baby A stays put in his head down position!

#74 HurryUpAlready

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Congratulations on the arrival of little Serena Tigs! I'm glad to hear she's doing well and it sounds like you're doing a great job with expressing, good on you.

I can only imagine how hard it is to leave her in NICU each day though. Sending my thoughts to you as well over the loss of Twin 2, I hope you're ok.

Hi to everyone else, hope you're all doing ok. xx

#75 mini-us

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hi Tigs

also from me all my best for you and little Serena, hope she will be out of NICU soon and you get to take her home. Breastfeeding is the best, she gets close to you and will feel all your love.

On my side bub is still breech, had two chiro sessions already trying the Webster method but hasn't worked yet, but I still have the ECV option with the hospital. I'm willing to try everything to get baby head down. Still have 3 weeks few days to go, so there is time, I'm just afraid bub will run out of space.

Hope you all will enjoy your Sunday, feet up, get pampered, have a rest!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.