My fantastic elective c-section birth story

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 purple_daisy

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

I know most people read these stories for natural birth experiences, but I wanted to share about the elective C-section experience we had as it was such a beautiful, calm and happy event.  I hope it might offer some encouragement for any women who may need to have a C-section.  Thanks for reading.

DD2’s birth story

After an induction, long labour and emergency c-section last time, we decided to welcome this little girl into the world by an elective c-section.  We were thrilled to learn that we had been booked in at 39+2 as that fell on my Grandmother’s birthday and was several days clear of our older child’s birthday (we really didn’t want them to fall on the same day!).

D-Day
At 4:30am the alarm went off and I was amazed that I had managed to sleep soundly for six whole hours overnight.  I had so many butterflies in my tummy as I hit the shower and washed my hair about three times as I knew it could be a while before I had my next shower.  DH kindly had his breakfast while I was showering since I needed to fast, then loaded the bags and esky into the car.  He had made up several sandwiches with my favourite cold-meat fillings that I had been longing for all pregnancy, and I was really looking forward to getting stuck into them later in the day.

By 5:20 we were on the road, and it felt surreal knowing that we were on the way to becoming a family of four while everyone else was still sleeping.  We got to the hospital in record time thanks to the lack of traffic and I waited nervously in emergency while DH parked the car in the nearest all-day parking station.  At 5:45 DH and I headed up to the day surgery admissions area.  We had hoped that it might be a first-come, first-served situation – I think others had the same idea as there was a large crowd of people all queuing up outside waiting for the doors to open at 6am.  When the doors did open people all walked very quickly down the hall until we arrived at the admissions desk and saw a sign telling us to sit and wait to be called. We sat on the hard plastic chairs and I tried to ignore the hungry noises my tummy was making.

At 7am we were called by the admissions lady and after a few questions we made it… to the second waiting room.  After a little while a nurse took us to get changed and leave our bag in the locker.  We returned to the waiting room in our fashionable hospital clothes and didn’t have a magazine or phone to distract us anymore so the wait felt much longer.

At 8:45 just as I was starting to feel a bit unwell from lack of food and drink, we were called in to see a nurse for a blood test and blood pressure test. We had only been in the room a minute before it started filling up with people.  First came the anaesthetist, then two midwives, then a surgeon. They explained that the previous c-section candidate was scheduled in due to a breech baby, but as they were prepping her for surgery the baby turned so now all the surgery staff were set to go for the next on the list – me – and were just waiting for me to come in! So within minutes I was walked to the preparation room, and by 9am I was sitting on the table as the anaesthetist explained what was about to happen with the spinal! I suddenly felt quite teary and emotional and was very keen for things to be underway.  I took deep breaths and tried to visualise myself going for a run in the clear crisp winter air while they did the spinal.

A male orderly or nurse came and stood in front of me, holding my shoulders to keep me still. I had to hunch over and I closed my eyes as they put a few coats of the freezing cold wash on my back.  It was so cold that I started shivering.  The local stung a lot as it went in, much more than a normal needle but it only lasted a few seconds.  I held my breath as I felt a ‘click’ type sensation when the spinal went in then a blissfully warm feeling started to take over from that cold wash and I was very grateful knowing that was over.  I quickly was helped into position on the table, and remember my legs feeling heavy and uncoordinated within seconds.  I could then feel the surgeons moving my legs around but it was like they didn’t belong to my body – very odd. I started to feel nauseous so told the anaesthetist straight away and then began to feel very sleepy and faint.  I managed to slur “I feel sleepy” before things blurred.  I kept hearing them calling my name, they put an oxygen mask on and pushed something into the drip.  It felt like I was floating around in slow motion but soon the drugs kicked in and I started to feel normal again.  The anaesthetist had warned me earlier that this was a common occurrence so I wasn’t freaked out by it, just glad it was over.

At 9:20ish DH came in and I began to feel lots of tugging and pulling on my lower half.  It still felt heavy but not painful.  The surgeon described it as feeling like my body was a big handbag and they were rummaging around in the bottom for the keys – this is EXACTLY how it felt.  I was being shaken all over the place, and felt a bit like a bobble head toy at times.  It seemed to take a long time and there was a lot of pressure being applied up near my ribs which made it harder to breathe.  We later found out that DD was stuck up in the ribs and was very difficult to get out.  In the end they pulled her out with forceps through the incision and told us she would have been there for ages if we’d waited for a natural labour.  

At 9:43 the curtain was dropped and DD was born.  DH was able to see her lifted out and said “she’s a girl”.  It was amazing to see her there, covered in vernix and to hear her start crying straight away.  DH went over to trim the cord and I became fixated on the blood splatter on the curtain.  DH brought DD straight over and we had skin to skin with the help of the midwives who also helped DD get near the breast.  She attached at one point for a brief suckle but with the curtain, the tubes in my hands and the blood pressure cuff restricting one arm I found it too hard to try a decent feed.

I suddenly felt incredibly tired and struggled to hold my eyes open.  The anaesthetist told DH that this is common, and is caused by all the adrenaline and hormonal changes once the baby is born.  So I just lay there half dozing with DD on my chest as they finished stitching me up.  One of the surgeons came and told us that I had such a good uterus I could have another ten c-sections! I remember thinking how silly that was at the time but was too sleepy to respond.  I got the shakes right at the end but I knew this could happen so didn’t worry and they wore off once I was in recovery under a heated blanket.
DD came with me the whole way and had a feed while we were there. She then did a big wee which was how they knew my spinal was starting to wear off as I asked what that warm sensation was all down one side!

Two weeks on and I’ve had a very slow and painful recovery but I look back on the actual birth with such happy memories.  As far as surgery goes, this was just a fantastic and calm experience without any of the stress from the emergency c-section last time.  We are in love with our little girl and can’t imagine life without her.

Her details were 3.09kg, 49cm.  She scored 9 and 9.

Edited by purple_daisy, 12 June 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#2 07gbam

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

What a lovely read that was.
Congratulations.
Thanks for sharing- your experience may help others feel more positive about something that is so often presented in a negative way.
Enjoy your precious baby....

#3 c.sanders

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

Thank you. That was so beautiful !!
It gives hope to the rest of us who have gone through the trauma of a failed natural  birth experience  and then subject to the horrors of an emergency cesarean.
Congratulations !

#4 SilverSmiley

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

Beautiful! What a lovely birth story - wonderful to hear an elective c-section birth, thank you so much for sharing.

Congratulations!

#5 PonyoLand

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Thank you so much. We will be an elective c sect next time round after an emergency one last time, so this is lovely and reassuring.

#6 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

Congratulations Purple Daisy!
Sounds like a lovely experience. I also had a wonderful elective c/s with my DD2 after an emergency with DD1. I'm having another elective with DD3 and I know how lovely it will be now!

I hope you are recovering well!

#7 seashells

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Congratulations purple daisy on the arrival of another beautiful baby girl!  Thanks for sharing your birth story and I hope all is going well for your little family of four xx

#8 axiomae

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Beautiful, thanks for sharing original.gif

#9 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Lovely story. We're having an elective this time around too... can't wait!

Thanks for sharing!

#10 pufflemuffin

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Congrats OP and good on you for sharing this lovely story. I also had an awesome elective the 2nd time around after an emergency C. Only difference was the recovery was nothing the second time (lucky me). Good luck with yours -I'm sure you'll forget that bit pretty quickly anyway original.gif

#11 samshine

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Copngrats OP, wonderful story.

I too had a wonderful elective CS with my 3rd, after a very traumatic VB with my first, and a traumatic emergency CS with my 2nd.  I also posted it in here as it was such a healing experience and I found when looking for elective stories, there weren't many shared.

Thanks for sharing yours  original.gif

#12 Poussey

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

This was great to read!! I am so glad it was a great experience! I am increasingly nervous coming up to my elective c-section but this has made me feel a bit better. original.gif Congratulations x

#13 Therese

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Congratulations original.gif Thanks for sharing her birth story with us original.gif

#14 Daisy Chook

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Congratulations OP! What a lovely birth story. Such a calm and beautiful way for your little one to enter the world.

I also had a wonderful C-section birth experience with my second. The recovery seemed to be well on its way at the 3 week mark. Hopefully you are feeling better soon! All the best

#15 Justaduck

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Congrats! I love reading positive planned c-sec stories so thank you for sharing original.gif

Was interesting to read too about the feeling faint and tired, I may have been warned about that and just forgotten. I was a bit tired after the c-sec but just assumed it was linked to the morphine in the spinal (it made me vomit) so thanks for that info too

#16 Hootabelles

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Very happy for you.  I too had 2 very positive cs experiences.  Both included horrible long labour prior but otherwise I think great.
Booked in for my first elective one in 5 weeks so looking forward to meeting my baby.
Enjoy your new bub.

#17 Taffyk

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for sharing - I'm glad you had a much better birthing experience.

It's helpful for me - as I consider whether to do the same...

#18 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

What a beautiful story wub.gif thank you for sharing!

#19 Luci

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your lovely story. I have had 3 c-sections, the first was emergency and the other 2 elective. I have also been lucky enough to have a very positive experience all 3 times.

Best wishes, Luci

#20 benjamin18

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am booked in for c section on 23rd Aug as bub is breech. This is bub #2 and the first was delivered naturally. So right now I am reading everything I can possibly can to help prepare myself for this procedure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.