Importance of Folate

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sparkythewonderdog

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi Ladies,

I have just realised that the "Pregnancy" supplements I had been taking were actually not pregnancy supplements but a womens multi so I have not been taking folate for the last 4 weeks. How detrimental is this do you think? I will go out tomorrow and get some folate supps but I can't undo the last 4 weeks.

Trying not to feel too guilty.

#2 LenaK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

I vomited EVERYTHING, including my vitamins for the first 18 weeks. DD is a perfectly healthy 3week old. Dont panic - just pick up some folate and start now original.gif

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Many women get pregnant without planning to do so and they drink, eat and smoke stuff that could potentially harm their babies BUT most often it doesn't.
Do not stress but get onto Folic Acid as soon as you can.

I am not so sure that healthy pregnant women actually need multivitamins but it is very difficult for anyone to take in the amount of Folate in our diet alone that is the recommended dose to help prevent Neural Tube defects in our babies so a supplement IMO is a must.

Good luck

#4 Mumsy2B

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Don't feel guilty! You didn't know. Like the other ladies said, just grab some asap.

Folic acid/folate doesn't completely prevent spina bifida and similar problems anyway, just reduces the risk. So you could still take it and have a bub with spina bifida, or not take it and have a perfectly healthy bub like the other ladies have said.

I'm sure your bubba will be perfect!

#5 Psyduck

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Don't feel guilty I am another one who vomited everything up! I was vomiting until 29 weeks.  My baby is a perfectly healthy 6 month old.

#6 Bazinga

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

The neural tube closes in week 6 so the importance on folate is before this period.

Try not to stress. Since 2009 bread has been fortified with folate for this reason.

Edited by Bazinga, 13 May 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Mumsy2B @ 13/05/2013, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't feel guilty! You didn't know. Like the other ladies said, just grab some asap.

Folic acid/folate doesn't completely prevent spina bifida and similar problems anyway, just reduces the risk. So you could still take it and have a bub with spina bifida, or not take it and have a perfectly healthy bub like the other ladies have said.

I'm sure your bubba will be perfect!

Totally agree with you but do want to point out that the risk reduction is over 90% so it is pretty significant. I think it is one of those great finds medical science has made. original.gif

#8 Bazinga

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 13/05/2013, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Totally agree with you but do want to point out that the risk reduction is over 90% so it is pretty significant. I think it is one of those great finds medical science has made. original.gif

But seeing as she is already 10 weeks along the benefit of extra folate has passed.

#9 katte

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Pretty much all the women's multivitamins I have ever looked at have the recommended amount of folic acid in them. Have you checked out the tablets you were taking? I think it it likely folate will be included in them.

#10 glasnost

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (katte @ 13/05/2013, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty much all the women's multivitamins I have ever looked at have the recommended amount of folic acid in them. Have you checked out the tablets you were taking? I think it it likely folate will be included in them.

I was about to say the same. OP double check the bottle of the one you have been taking. I bet it has folic acid in it, maybe at a smaller amount but I would be really surprised if a women's multivitamin didn't contain any.

#11 alecia1986

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

I almost made the same mistake - lucky the lady at the chemist asked me if I knew they weren't pregnancy vitamins!

#12 Gen71

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

And I think most breakfast cereals these days have folic acid in them, so I'm sure you have been getting some.
Good luck

#13 Poseidon768

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Plenty of foods already have quite a bit of folate in them.

In particular: cereals, breads which are folate fortified, leafy green veggies, and beans/lentils/legumes.

You are bound to have eaten some folate throughout the first 4 weeks.  AND by not having had folate supplements, your bubs is not doomed to spina bifida.  Plenty of women way back when gave birth to perfectly healthy babies without the knowledge we have nowadays and did not even have supplements to take, let alone know it would be good for their babies.

You are doing the right thing by your baby, please try not to feel bad about yourself.  You're a caring mother already original.gif

Just do a switcheroo ASAP - go get those folate supplements, put your mind to ease, it's not too late at all.

Good luck OP!

ETA:  I agree that the mutlivitamin supplement you were taking was BOUND to have folic acid in it.  It's a pretty basic B vitamin, so I'm sure it was in it.

Edited by Poseidon768, 13 May 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#14 Maggueful

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

I wanted to say that it's a good idea to make sure that your vitamin tablets have 150 micrograms of iodine as well. It's very important for babies brain development.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/break...y-1225837079932
The NHMRC is advising all women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or considering pregnancy to take a daily supplement of 150 micrograms of iodine. The only exception was women with thyroid problems, who should instead consult their doctor for individual guidance on their iodine levels.

#15 Poseidon768

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Maggueful @ 13/05/2013, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanted to say that it's a good idea to make sure that your vitamin tablets have 150 micrograms of iodine as well. It's very important for babies brain development.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/break...y-1225837079932
The NHMRC is advising all women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or considering pregnancy to take a daily supplement of 150 micrograms of iodine. The only exception was women with thyroid problems, who should instead consult their doctor for individual guidance on their iodine levels.

^^

If you haven't bought the supplements yet OP, you could buy Blackmore's I-Folic.  That is what I take.  It's a combination of folate and iodine.

Nice work Maggueful original.gif

#16 sparkythewonderdog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

Thanks Ladies, I just double checked the ingredients list and it does have 500mcg of folate in it as well as idoine. So while it may not be a pregnancy specific I think it has most of the same stuff in it in slightly different quantities. So that and a morning bowl of cereal should have me covered. I will get a different one tomorrow anyway.

I am usually such a careful label reader. Aahh, stupid pregnancy brain not working.

#17 alecia1986

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

I assume you got the elevit multivitamin? The lady at the pharmacy told me that they ave to keep them behind the counter. So I had looked and could ony see one type and thought that must be it

#18 sparkythewonderdog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

exactly alecia, didn't know they did anything but the pregnancy/conception tablets.

#19 Jersey Caramel

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

500mcg of folate is exactly what you should be taking anyway, so no harm done! original.gif

#20 lozandash

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Does anyone know if Elevit or other pregnancy multivitamins can affect your emotional state while pregnant? I am wondering if it's more than a coincidence that the couple of days that I have forgotten to take my elevit in the morning I have been in a horrible emotional state by the end of the day. Every time I have clicked and remembered that I hadn't taken my elevit that morning and so quickly took it then and there. Also I usually notice by midday if I have forgotten to take it as I get dizzy and lightheaded. I am so sure the vitamins are assisting me quite largely. Has anyone else experienced this?

#21 sparkythewonderdog

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

I would be surprised if there was a medical link between missing the vitamin and the emotional response. I would think it is more likely a guilt type response (Not that you should feel guilty, but as pregnant women we have a tendency to feel it if we do the slightest thing outside recommendations). So far I have burst into tears because I ate some ham, because I realised I was taking the wrong tablets, because I ate nothing but cheese and bread one day and because I thought I had eaten Feta. All guilt responses.

#22 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:29 AM

I just had a blood test including folic acid levels which were high normal.  I don't take a multi at the moment, and just eat a normal diet (including supermarket and bakery bread which has folate added).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.