Due in December, 2013 Chat Thread #3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#51 ChristieV

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

I highly recommend getting the flu shot girls. The last thing you want is to be sick during your pg - you really can't take anything other than Panadol, so no cold and flu tablets etc. It really SUCKS to be sick when you're pg. I'll be doing everything I can to avoid it this time around.

#52 ChristieV

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

Oh and Alecia, yes the bloods that they took are all normal for early pg. They often test for a long list of things, rubella immunity etc. being very important, they also test for STIs and vitamin/mineral levels so that anything undetected that could potentially harm baby can be addressed ASAP. I had two lots of bloods last time - the ones you've had at about 6 weeks, and then at 10 weeks the ones for the DS screening (which they combine with your 12 week scan to assess your risk of DS and the other trisomy disorders).

#53 cheshstarr

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hi all,

Hope you dont mind me joining this thread.

Mine is a long and complicated story, mostly very sad (short version is 3 years of clinics and 5mc) so I was nervous. To join here but I just got home from seeing my little angel who for the first time is a perfect size with a perfect heart rate and all I want to do is cry happy tears.

This time I used chinese medicine and acupuncture, anyone else?

feeling very tired and quite nauseous and up to this morning terrified but hubby and I have now moved on to happiness and disbelief.

We have quite a few people who know due to overwhelming support and there has been a lot of tears this morning.

Thanks for listening and hoping to stay in this thread and get to know everyone.

Best wishes to all

Xxxxxxxx

#54 Cassandra.c.crane

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Welcome cheshstarr! How far along are you. Such a blessing. Fingers crossed for a positive journey. Xx

Edited by Cassandra.c.crane, 09 May 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#55 cheshstarr

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Oh yes, I am 6 w 3 days so still early. Due dec 30 so just make it in

#56 baby_baby

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Welcome Cheshstarr - hope this bub is sticky!!

#57 Whoopsie

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Had a six week scan today and got to see the lil 'rice grain' growing in the right spot so that was good. Got the flu shot too - had it last winter when pregnant too so yes ladies I recommend it and have had no side effects either time.

So during my scan today, she told me there is another sack there. She thinks it started off as a twin and that one is not developing and will basically just dissolve into the other one and I have to go back next week to check that I only have one. The word "twin" just sent me into a massive panic because OMG TWINS and I couldn't imagine it!! But on the other hand I'm sad because it still feels like I am losing one.

Has anyone else had this? Apparently it's quite common and normally you wouldn't even know if you had the first scan at 12 weeks. I almost wish she hadn't told me cause now I'm a bit up and down about how it felt to see bubs for the first time, knowing I'm losing one too!

#58 alecia1986

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

Ok thanks for the advice everyone! I might go ahead and get the flu shot original.gif

My multivitamins were AWFUL to me today... I can still taste them now, 12 hours later... So I stopped at the chemist on the way home and got some election. I desperately hope they don't taste as terrible.

#59 Zachary Quack

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi Whoopsie. My friend is 26 weeks pregnant and she has just found that she has 2 placentas, indicating that she might have had a vanishing twin too. It wasn't picked up on the 12 or 20 week scans though. She's feeling pretty confused as well, happy that her bub is OK but upset at the idea of losing one. She had a feeling it was twins to begin with then only saw 1 at the 12 week scan, so figured she was just wrong. I feel for you and for her.

AFM, I had to break my life-long rule and buy... sob... elastic waisted jeans. They are hideous, but also the most comfortable things I have ever worn. Oh the shame. I can't believe how full and bloated I get by the end of a day - it's like there is just no room in there! I am also finding I get full easier from food. Hopefully this will translate into me eating less and therefore losing weight, hahaha. I got referred to the antenatal clinic at my hospital on Monday, now just waiting to hear when my appointment will be. I am high risk due to BMI... sigh. Well, if I maintain weight throughout the pregnancy I should actually end up lighter than pre-preg once the baby comes out.

How's everyone going today?

Oh oh another thing - sorry so long - my pregnant friend said to me "Oh, it's your first Mothers' Day!" Well, I don't think it is, I will only just have a foetus rather than an embryo and I am still too paranoid until >12 weeks. Do any of you first-time preggos feel like you are mothers yet? I wish I could but I just don't.

#60 cheshstarr

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

Hi 2cats

I Am also classed as high risk due to my history and age (40 in June). Got my referral to the hospital last night but my doc is making the appointment for me to cut through the red tape.  Legend!

#61 eks81

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

Cheshstarr I used acupuncture to fall pregnant with my first. We were initially told it would be very unlikely for me to ever conceive without intervention and was offered clomid, but I wanted to try everything I could first (I have PCOS). 5 months later, I was pregnant with DS!

Shellygirl whereabouts on the south coast are you? My hubby is from the south coast and his folks still live down there.

#62 shellygirl

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

eks81. we are in Mollymook near Ulladulla> Where is your hubby from?

Edited by shellygirl, 10 May 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#63 eks81

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

No way?! My in laws live in Ulladulla!

#64 cheshstarr

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Eks How long did you use it into your pregnancy if you  mind me asking?

#65 Dub74

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Has anyone tried Maxalon? I think I'm going to give it a go as the natural remedies aren't working!

Feeling like this pregnancy is going so slow compared to my 1st.... Prob cos I'm housebound and bored.

#66 Zachary Quack

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Cheshstarr good on your doc! Hope you get in quickly.
Dub74 I have used maxolon in the past, not during pregnancy though. It does the trick, but a lot of pregnant ladies I know who are suffering badly from hyperemesis gravidum say that Zofran (ondansetron) works better for them. Maxolon might do you well if you are not puking all day, every day. It's also cheaper than Zofran!

#67 Jaimi23

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hi ladies,
I'm new here. I found out I'm pregnant with my first bub about the time when I was 3-4 weeks along ( very early, I know). Since Then the past few weeks have gone so fast. I haven't had full on morning sickness, just the occasional vomit every now and then. It's all very exciting. I'm 23 and my family are just over the moon.
I had a bit of a scare a few weeks ago while I was at uni. I started having severe cramps in my stomach and was taken straight to the royal melbourne womens hospital. Turns out I had severe growing pains! I didn't even know what they were. Anyway, I had an internal ultrasound, and they basically did my dating scan then and there. Baby is fine and I'm 10 weeks today, due the 7th of December.

#68 eks81

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (cheshstarr @ 10/05/2013, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eks How long did you use it into your pregnancy if you  mind me asking?

I used it the whole way through and doing it again now. I had made an appointment to go and see her when my last cycle went haywire...little did I know it was because I was pregnant as I kept getting bfn's! I got my bfp the day before my appointment but I like the way it makes me feel and if nothing else, I get to lie down in peace and quiet for an hour while I have it done!

#69 cheshstarr

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

Thanks eks. One doctor told me it was dangerous but everything else I have been told our read said it was fine so I wanted to continue. Besides it has got me this far.  My Chinese medicine doctor will stop that medicine in week 12 . That's fine by me.  Tastes horrid! original.gif

#70 eks81

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

As long as they are properly trained they will know what spots need to be avoided in pregnancy. You can also use it as a method of induction too apparently.

#71 cheshstarr

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Thats what I tried to tell the doc,  my acupuncturist knows exactly what he is doing so it is all good. Thanks for the reasurance though original.gif

Also, hi Jami!

#72 cheshstarr

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

My superstar doctor got me in to my hospital visit to be assessed this morning.  Scary!

#73 1bubba

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hi all - just wanted to introduce myself.
My hubby and I have had a rough road - though finally it seems all is looking good.
1st bub due on December 19th 2013  (8 + 5) - morning sickness has been full on though somehow
it makes me feel like things are on track. Seen a strong heart beat which was amazing  biggrin.gif
Fingers crossed all goes well and I wish you all the best of luck with your amazing journey's.

#74 Blix

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hi all,

Just reading Jade's post and nodding my head, appetite has been up and down, mainly eating out of habit but nothing has really been grabbing my attention. There have been moments of feeling a little sickly but trying not to focus on it and just getting as much fresh air as possible.  This weekend has been a great chance to take afternoon naps - there will be no liberty of these during what is usually such a hectic week.   It has been very difficult not telling anyone.  Especially meeting girlfriends on a friday night and not being able to say anything when a girlfriend is now 4.5months pregnant and there is so much more I'd like to say to her.
I had my heart in my stomach pre-dating scan when the lady was checking for movement and thought i don't want to have anything go wrong and have to tell friends any bad news so will try and be good and keep quiet.

I now have an OB after a mad dash of checking who was any good, didn't realise I was supposed to organise earlier!

Things I am thinking about now:
Breaking the news at work and my boss' reaction - they will not be over the moon as its a high stakes job involving alot of travel and I can't help feeling (silly) feelings of letting them down.

til next time
Blix

#75 Blix

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (ChristieV @ 09/05/2013, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I highly recommend getting the flu shot girls. The last thing you want is to be sick during your pg - you really can't take anything other than Panadol, so no cold and flu tablets etc. It really SUCKS to be sick when you're pg. I'll be doing everything I can to avoid it this time around.

I went to the dr today and enquired about flu shot, he advised to be on the safe side and come back after 12 weeks so i'll just be patient and wait

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.