HCG levels
High for gestational date?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BluJay

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Today I had my first Ultrasound - quite early on due to fears of miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.

They found a good sac in the uterus, with an embryo of 5.5mm with a heartbeat of 128bpm.

They gave me a gestational date of 6w2d.

Two days ago (now known to be 6 weeks on the nose, not 6w4d as generally guessed when I first presented based on my LMP) they did a blood check of my HCG levels. They came out at 50, 001

They didn't do another HCG test today so I can't say if they have doubled or not.

Does that level seem high for only 6 weeks? I have read so many womens levels on here and they are much, much lower than mine for about the same gestation.

The Dr did say he couldn't see twins but it's very early so a second one could be 'hiding'.  tongue.gif

I know the HCG ranges for healthy pregnancies are pretty wide, but could this indicate a multiple pregnancy? Or could this be a molar pregnancy? They would be able to tell if it was a molar pregnancy at this stage on US wouldn't they?

This is my first pregnancy.

Any thought much appreaciated

#2 shellygirl

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy. So from memory normal hcg range for 6 weeks is up to 50,000 do you are on high side but within range. If it was a molar preg there wouldn't be a heart beat. If that puts your mind at ease. Were you a bit dehydrated when you had your blood taken. My hcg was over 25,000 at 6 weeks ( well now dates have been put back a couple pf days, so before 6 weeks) doubling every 2.8 days and I too had the same worries as they couldn't find a heart beat at 6 weeks and told me I had miscarried. I was still really nauseous so refused d&c and requested another u/s in a week. Luckily coz the following they found a heart beat. Good luck, but it sounds good. The doc doesn't sound worried if he was would order consecutive tests.Who knows there may be another bean hiding too.

#3 ErinNAnt

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

congrats to both of you........

oh I am a lil worried as going by my LMP I am 6 weeks and 1 day wondering if 19,000 is normal/high or low?

Hope you can help x

#4 BluJay

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

Thanks Shelly, I do feel a little better about it.

And congrats on your pregnancy.

Amazing to get such a result when told such terrible news. How wonderful that you refused the D&C and asked for another scan.  biggrin.gif

Erin, I'm no expert on these things but from the general tables I have seen 19000 seems perfectly within a healthy range.

Good luck to both of you during your pregnancy!!

#5 Kimmy_T

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (ErinNAnt @ 27/04/2013, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
congrats to both of you........

oh I am a lil worried as going by my LMP I am 6 weeks and 1 day wondering if 19,000 is normal/high or low?

Hope you can help x

Erin, I was pregnant this year in February at six weeks and miscarried. My levels were at 4000 and were flucuating between 4000 and 3000 before miscarrying. So I think you should be safe original.gif good luck!!! Also, Im now pregnant again at 5 weeks. So hoping all goes well this time!

#6 pinkelephant

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

Emma- my levels were higher than the charts as well in the beginning and I am now 38 weeks. You have a strog heartbeat so I would just focus on that.

If this pregnancy has taught me anything about pregnancy it is that everything and nothing is normal. You'll analyse every test result, twinge and niggle. Best of luck during your pregnancy. It sounds very positive- and if there are twins then that's just double as exciting!

#7 ErinNAnt

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Kimmy, wishing you all the very best this time round xxx

Thanks Emma - Hope all is going well with you?

I had my first u/s yesterday and measured 2 days further than i thought at 7weeks 1 day..... had a lil heartbeat of 132bpm (hoping thats normal?)

Had a lil bit of worrying news about a subchronic heamatoma (1.3cm in diameter) really really worried as I did a dr google and the news is so frightening  

Hope your all going well x

#8 eks81

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

ErinNAnt, I had haematoma as well and my Dr told me it was nothing much to worry about as in the majority of cases, the body actually absorbs it and they resolve themselves. Mr dr just told me that if I saw any spotting/bleeding, not to panic straight away as it could just be the haematoma. I'm sure they would have told you if it was something to worry about.

#9 ErinNAnt

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

thanks eks xx

Did you have a heamatoma in this preganancy? I havent been to the doctor for follow up yet but but the sonographer mentioned it, probably stuid Dr Googling it......

Just was horrible being so happy after seeing a hb and my partner cried to then reading about that sad.gif

How are you going?

#10 eks81

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

We haven't had a scan yet, first one on Saturday. Don't worry, I googled too, I stupidly opened the scan results before seeing my Dr and read that, then panicked and of course looked it up! But my Dr completely put my mind at ease, it's apparently reasonably common and as I said, they usually resolve themselves. The fact that you have seen a heartbeat is amazing, and mostly (so my Dr told me) the haematoma will have no impact on bubs whatsoever.

#11 ErinNAnt

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks darling xx  was the hematoma in this pregnancy or a previous one?

Heartrate of 132 at 7 weeks and 1 day pregnant - does that seem quite normal?

Heres hoping all goes ok!!

Would love to hear how you go on saturday xx

#12 eks81

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

That was in my first pregnancy. By the time I had the 12 week scan, there was no evidence whatsoever of the haematoma so my body obviously absorbed it. And yep, the heart rate sounds completely normal, from memory at 6+3 with DS it was about the same.

#13 *Hazlenut*

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'm so glad everything is going well, just wanted to correct the PP who said that if it's a Molar pregnancy then it wouldn't have a heartbeat, this is incorrect, you can have either a Molar or a Partial Molar, I had a partial molar and it had a heartbeat and was seen to be developing correctly on 6,7 and 8 week scans, it was only at the 12 week scan that they found it was a molar and had 'died' at 10 weeks.

#14 shellygirl

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Sorry to hear that happened to you hazelnut. I did say it only from what I had read was that it was very rare for even a partial molar to develop as far as having a heartbeat due to the chromosomal abnormalities. I hope I haven't offended you. Hope everything is going well for you emma1980.

#15 BluJay

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

Hi ladies.

Thanks for all the replies!

Everything is going reasonably well thus far - apart from the 24/7 nausea that is!

I went back to the GP on Wednesday to get my results from my initial blood tests.

Had a bit of a fright - I came back positive for Hepatitis B!!

However the Dr said it was a very low positive and my other antigens and antibodies were normal so was in all likelihood was a false positive.

I retested and got the results today that it was indeed a false positive. Bit scary. And there were some cross words with my partner that day I can tell you!!

My Vitamin D is pretty low too - just 20. So yet another supplement.

My HCG is now 112,000. I was a little worried that it isn't more than that a week later. I was thinking it would be at least 200,000. But it's still within normal ranges so I'm trying not to let it worry me.

Also started on Maxolon today for the nausea. So far it's not really helping  sick.gif

Erin - try not to worry about every little thing. Hard I know. I kind of do it myself. But I know it's pointless at this stage and there really isn't much I can do at this stage (other than the obvious that everyone does anyway)

Hazlenut - thanks for the extra info. My next scan isn't until 12 weeks so until then I just have to hope he is going ok in there and sticks!!

Eks - good luck at your scan today!

Kimmy - congrats on your bub! Fingers crossed all goes well

#16 Kimmy_T

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

Thanks ladies! Here's to hoping we all have safe pregnancies xx

#17 shellygirl

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Here here kimmy T I'll raise my cup of decaffeinated tea to that!

#18 pxavier

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

my hcg levels were tested at between 6 and 7 weeks, and were just over 86,000.
I was convinced I must be having twins, but the 12 week scan showed one healthy foetus.
Apparently even a very high reading can still be considered within normal range for a singleton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.