How much linen do you own?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 trishalishous

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

I want a bigger cupboard, DH says we just need less linen!
we have:

4 adult towels
4 kids towels
2 'gym' towels

3 sets of cot linen and about 20 wraps/blankets (had 2 spewy winter bubs)
4 sets of single linen (we have 1 single bed, and a single fold out couch in the granny flat)
10 sets of queen linen (mostly gifts, and sentimental. we have 2 queen beds and a queen fold out couch)
5 sets of king linen (for our new bed, really nice ones, some as a 'gift' when we bought the bed set)

~20 tea towels (I change it every night, or every time its used to dry)
that takes up the entire cupboard!

I try to have enough so I can change it more often than I do the washing (and its hard to get things dry in winter)

How much linen do you have?

#2 little lion

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

Hmm by our standards you have a lot of sheets. I joke DH is king of towels though, so I'm not judging, haha. For each bed we have three sheet sets and maybe two quilt covers. Dozens of towels. Then two sets of cot and cradle sheets. About 20 tea towels too I guess.

#3 ~Supernova~

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

In my linen cupboard...

30ish towels (mostly gifts)
4 queen bed sheets
3 queen doona sets
3 single doona/sheet sets
around 7 or 8 cot sheet sets
20ish tea towels
20ish face washers (use them a lot instead of baby wipes)
a bunch of hand towels
5 tablecloths
heaps of baby blankets
a few queen sized blankets
3 or 4 single blankets
a dozen or so cloth nappies, which get used for various things
a few spare pillows

#4 Jellybean900

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

You have a lot! But I don't have much at all.

2 Adults, 2 children. We have-

2 sets of sheets for each bed/cot
2 doona covers per bed
2 cot blankets
2 bath towels per person
1 beach towel per person
2 spare towels
2 hand towels per bathroom
4 tea towels
1 spare doona
No spare pillows

I do a lot of washing.  Our issue is lack of space, including in the laundry so used linen (and clothes) gets washed straight away.

Edited by Jellybean900, 01 March 2013 - 05:24 AM.

#5 agnodice

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

You have way too much.

We have six adult towels. Four kid towels (2 kids). Two bath mats. Four hand towels (2 bathrooms). 10 face washers.

2 sets queen sheets for us. 2 sets double sheets for spare bed. 2 sets cot sheets for baby. 2 sets single sheets for 3.5 year old.

One in use, one in wash. Why would you need more than that?

#6 Cyaira

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

I love linen. I want more! We have:

5 queen sheet sets, only use about 3 regularly but one set is flanellette for winter (will get another set).
2 doona inserts (winter and summer weight)
1 doona comforter
About 3? Doona covers
Lots of extra pillowcases

2 bassinet sets
3 cot sets + a few extra fitted sheets

6 'good' towels, maybe a couple of worn ones
4 beach towels
4 hand towels
Various washers
Lots of tea towels

#7 mavisandjack

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

We have two adults and a toddler. A king bed, a double, and a single.

2x summer sheet sets for the king
1x winter sheet set for the king (will get another)
1x summer doona for king
1x winter doona for king

2x summer sheet sets for the double
1x winter sheet set for double
1x summer doona for double (queen size)
1x winter doona (queen size)
4 spare doona sets (used to have queen size bed)

1x summer sheet set for single
1x summer doona for single
Spare set single doona set

6 adult towels
2 baby towels

I think I have some more that we don't use, I will have to reduce it as the clutter is driving me mad. I think we have some queen sheet sets which are completely useless!

The word doona is stupid so I am gôing back to quilt!

#8 kpingitquiet

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Generally speaking, too many towels and not enough sheets biggrin.gif

We have 8 or 10 bath towels
(plus a couple special hoodie kid towels but she doesn't use them anymore)
4 hand towels
1,231,203,214,321 washcloths biggrin.gif Everyone gave them to us as baby presents.

Alas, for sheets we have:

1 queen set for our bed + half an extra
1 summer and 2 winter sets for kiddo's bed, but only one has a toddler pillowcase that fits.
1 double set for our pullout sofa
1 single set for our pullout ottoman
N # of random single sheets and pillow cases collected over the years
Lots of blankets, too.

#9 copham

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

We are a family of 2 adults, a toddler and a baby due soon. In our hallway linen cupboard:

12 bath sheets (these things are huge)
12 bath towels
6 kids towels (with the hoods that go over the head)
10 beach/pool towels
5 floor towels (specially purchased from Kmart just to mop the floor spills etc)

6 sets of cot flannelette sheets
6 sets of cot cotton sheets
3 sets flannelette king size sheets
2 sets cotton kimg size sheets
4 kids quilt sets with inbuilt doona
King size winter doona
King size summer doona

2 Bassinet sets cotton
2 Bassinet sets flannelette

2 kids thermal blankets
10 Pram blankets/throws
4 couch throw rugs for cooler weather

20-30 face washers
10 hand towels
20-30 tea towels

Electric blanket
Extra pillows

That's all I have in that cupboard but I know I have more stashed in the rooms walk in and built ins.

#10 Coffeegirl

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

I worked in the manchester industry for awhile so I have far far too much.

Looking at Mareek's list I would say maybe double that in sheets, and the same in towels.  Not including beach towels of which I probably have 15-20.  Most of our sheets are 500TC or higher, but when you get them at cost (import) price, you can splurge  tongue.gif

In our house

2 single beds
1 queen bed
1 Ikea size double bed
2 inflatable queen beds
1 spare single sofa bed.

We also all have duck or goose down quilts, summer blankets, random throws, lots of pillows.  Luckily I have a really large linen closet

#11 Ehill

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Linen doesn't float my boat at all (shoes on the other hand......I have cupboards of those).

Our king size bed - only 1 set which I wash and dry in the same day.

Queen spare bed - 2 sets but only because we used to have this bed so there is an extra set.

Toddler bed - 1 single set

Cot - more, maybe 3 or 4 sets

3 doona covers in total and 1 for toddler bed.  

Towels - only 2 bathsheets, again wash and dry in same day.  
4 spare towels
6 kids towels.

The silly thing is I have MASSES of storage space and the linen cupboard is half empty.  Spending money on linen holds no attraction for me!!!

Edited by Ehill, 01 March 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#12 Flaxen

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

I wrote a big post but the forum ate it and cant bother itemising everything again  rant.gif

But i have LOTS of linen. There was a factory outlet round the corner from my old work and i'd go there every friday lunchtime. Not much else to do in an industrial estate at lunchtimes! so inevitably my linen closet grew and grew.
No one needs more than a few pieces per bed/person, but its nice to have spares so that if you have a month of rain you wont run out. We wont use the dryer unless its getting desperate.

My favourite item is the protect-a-bed mattress protecter. Its kept my now 4yo mattress looking brand new. Ive had others, but this one is a waterproof and dustmite proof one, its awesome!

#13 ms flib

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Wow you know exactly what's in your cupboards!

#14 rocket surgeon

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

We have far too much linen. Pre-kids I went nuts at the Myer stocktake sales and bought new sheets, towels, throws, beach towels every year. Then when DS1 was born I went nuts on sites such as living textiles. And again when DS2 was born. Haven’t bought anything in 2 years. We have enough to last us for decades.

#15 Buggylicious

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

I have 5 places to store linen (a linen box thing that is built in in my bedroom, the toy box on the bottom of DSs bookcase, the tea towels go in a drawer in the kitchen and we have a linen cupboard and cupboards in the bathroom)

We have 3x single fitted sheets
and 5x single quilt covers
1x qs sheet
4x pillowcases
1x quilt cover
7x tea towels
20+ x face washers
1x hand towel
8x bath sheets
15x kids towels
a variety of throw rugs, spare thin blankets, etc. maybe 5-6 all up
a heap of baby blankets stuffed in the the built in linen box in my room along with teddies.

#16 Bluenomi

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

I think you need more towels! Only 4 for adults? That's not enough if you're lazy with washing like me  biggrin.gif  Plus what do you do if you have visitors?

We have, erm, lots of towels. Off the top of my head I'd say at least 15 adult towels put a few old ones that are used for the cat. 3 beach towels, DD has about 4/5 of her own and lots of those awesome size Ikea towels that are bigger than hand towels.

Tea towels no idea but it is a draw full.

Sheets: 3 or 4 bassinet sized, 4 cot sized, a few single sets, 2 or 3 double, 5 or 6 queen. Summer and winter doona for queen bed, spare blankets, quilts and pillows.

DD's stuff goes in her room so it's only the adult stuff in the linen closet which I admit is stuffed until the point of explosion. The electric blankets never come off the beds so we don't have to store them!

#17 Lokum

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

We have lots, but quite a bit is well worn and passed it.  I'm getting a bigger house! We currently have a small linen cupboard I throw myself against to get the door closed,but the new house has 4 times as much space.

I'm trying to decide whether to bring the 4x double sets plus doona and covers, since we no longer own a double bed, but might get a sofa bed in future.

We have a gazillion beach towels, some old and ratty,but they have come in so handy in a minor dishwasher flood.

I also had a thing for beautiful table linen when I lived in Europe so there's lots of that too. I used to actually use it when people came over, but not for a long while. I also keep spare presents (random just in case presents) in my linen cupboard.
Baby linen lives in the baby's room, tea towels in the kitchen drawers and face washers in the bathrooms, so what IS filling up my cupboard?

#18 countrymel

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Lots.

I have an insane uncountable amount of towels - in the last few years I have had to empty out my parents' home and their holiday house too. While dozens (no exaggeration) of towels and sheets went to Vinnies I still ended up with heaps. Which is a bit of a shame as I would love to buy some new ones but I simply can't justify it!

We have a Queen size bed that has 3 or 4 Summer weight sheet Sets and 3 winter ones.

The spare bed is a double and I have 3 or 4 Summer and 3 Winter sets for that.

Also extra pillow cases.

I have 3 spare doonas!  About 5 spare blankets? Plus two quilts that are bundled up and away as well...

I would hazard a guess that I have 60 tea towels?

In reality I need a linen ROOM!

#19 *LucyE*

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

'Enough' is a subjective term.  

It will vary depending on the family make up, the number of beds, the climate and drying options etc etc etc.

For us, I would like to have 3 sets per bed per season.  We live in an area that is very hot in summer and very cold in winter.  Appropriate quilts and sheets makes a huge difference to comfort and sleep quality.  In a more temperate climate, the same bedding will be sufficient year round.

Now that I have a dryer, drying sheets isn't such an issue.  But when I was relying on line drying, I would have to carefully time my washing days.  It has been a relief to have spare sets so I didn't stress about getting things dry same day.

We also have a dog, so I keep some old sheets and towels for doggy related uses.  Any other linen that we don't use but is in good condition, I have offered to family, friends or donated.  What I have may seem like more than necessary to others, but to me it is all useful and I don't have excess clutter of un-used linen.

#20 amabanana

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

I have been trying to downsize, but I am also a practical person and think (possibly too much) about contingency plans.

Single bed: 4 x flannelette, 4 x cotton (that's two sets per DD for each season)
Queen: 2 x flannelette, 2 x cotton
Towels: 2 x each family member, 1 beach towel each, 4 gym towels
Spare towels for large spills/roof leak, gastro etc etc = 10.  We have gone through them all in a day on several occasions so I'm not game to downsize less than that!

#21 WinterDancesHere

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have:

For DH and I

2 x matching queen cotton sheet sets
2 x flannelette sheet sets
1 x light queen blanket
1 x queen quilt
2 x queen quilt covers
1 x queen comforter
1 x queen electric blanket
2 x ikea shaped pillows
1 x normal pillow
1 x body pillow
2 x body pillow covers

2 x giant towels

For DS

2 x water proof single sheet
4 x single sheet sets
1 x single light blanket
1 x single quilt
2 x single quilt cover
1 x single comforter

2 x kids towels

I will get him some flannelette sheets, he was in a cot last winter.

I then also have around 20 random towels of various sizes that have been gifted to us and about 20 face washers.

Where we live it is often cold and wet, so everything is dryer safe. Finding dryer safe waterproof bedding was a big relief. When DS was in a cot we had 5 matress protectors to ensure we didn't run out.

#22 Froger

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (AvadaKedavra @ 01/03/2013, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rainy season for 3 months straight?
No dryer?
Gastro?
Bed wetting kids?
Superman keeps borrowing your teatowels?

I'm feeling like a shameless, debauched excessive-towel-owning hussy now. But surely I can't be the only one who needs more than two sets of sheets and two towels each?

Edited by SarahM72, 01 March 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#23 spottyladybug

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

It is only DH and I for the next few weeks until jnr joins us so no baby linen yet...
We have 6 big towels for showers and 4 towels for guests, 3 bathmats, and so many older towels I cannot count them. After living in three rentals that have windows that leak in driving rain there is no such thing as too many towels! I have two drawers of teatowels (most in need of replacement!), and these get used to clean spills in the kitchen by DH. No idea on sheets aside from two summer two winter for the queen as the spares for guests haven't been use a whole lot .  I also have an abundance of blankets, throws and doonas/covers because we try not to use the heater much in winter and it gets cold here.  I try and avoid walking into nice linen shops to avoid buying more items, and if we get asked what we would like for presents we usually suggest nice linen - nothing nicer than new towels or sheets especially if I have not had to pay .
It can also take 2 days for items to dry here in winter so one set of something is not really an option.

#24 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

6 towels
1 QB fitted sheet
1 KSB fitted sheet
2 comforters
1 big quilt which I rarely use because I don't have a quilt cover for it.

We don't own any tea towels or blankets or bath mats but I would like to get a couple of bath mats.

Edited by Sunnycat, 01 March 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#25 MrsLexiK

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

2 adults - 1 queen bed with king size quilt, 1 double bed with double quilt, 2 spare queen size quilts

4 king quilts for our bed (only 1 is ever really put on because the others are white and DH ruins them!)
3 queen size fitted sheets
1 queen size flat sheet
3 double quilt sets (inlcuding sheets), (mainly 1 is only really in use, the other 2 are back up usually take one of the older ones camping)
2 queen size covers/sets which are on the spare quilts basically all the time.

4 bath sheets for DH and I
2 spare bath sheets for DH and I (usually take camping)
4 guest towels (normal size)

For the baby:
2 swaddle wraps
3 sets of cot sheets
3 sets of bassinet sheets
3 blankets

For the dog:
about 6 old towels
3 quick dry towels

We have a stack of pool towels, 2 good ones for DH and I and then a bunch of other ones as spares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.