Garbage Truck and Parked Car

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 virtuallotus

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

So, the neighbour parks his car in front of our yard and it spans most of it (minus the driveway, and a tree). It's bin night. Can the garbo grab the bin over the car?

I tried looking at the council website, but no dice.

Not exactly sure what to do, as it seems they're not home. Don't particularly want to put the bins in the neighbours yard, either.

#2 snortle

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

-

Edited by snortle, 20 May 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#3 daturah

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Yes, the Garbo can still get the bin with a car parked on the street in front of it. That's how they do their job in inner city suburbs where often streets are jam-packed with parked vehicles.

They have a long extendable arm, and if the bin is very difficult to get to, generally the Garbo has a helper who gets out and drags the bin so it can be reached.

Sorry - ETA I am in Brisbane, and have never had a problem the Garbo collecting bins around parked cars.

Edited by daturah, 28 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#4 dae-gu

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I tend to squash my bins in the gutter right next to my driveway. Still leaves room for a car to park on the street, but my bins won't be parked in front of like when i leave them on the grass strip.
FWIW, I have had a trucks arm dent my car years ago when it reached over to get a bin. They did pay for it to be repaired, but lucky I was home and saw and chased the truck down the street, lol.

#5 F1widow

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

I've lived in several suburbs of Sydney where there are two guys in the truck; one gets out and puts the bin in a good spot on the road, the other guy still in the truck pulls the thingy that picks up the bin. Repeat.

To make it easy for them you could just put the bin on the road behind the drivers side at the rear of the car.

#6 JRA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

As has been said many houses only have areas with parked cars, as they don't have any driveways.

#7 caitiri

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

They just drive past the bins if a car is in front in my area.

#8 virtuallotus

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'll try and squish it. Annoying, because its double bin night.

#9 Missy Shelby

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

OP I had the exact same situation happening in front of my place.  One of my neighbours would park her car in from of my place every night.

I was quite worried that our bins wouldn't get collected so I started putting them on the curb in my driveway but this became a nightmare if I had to go out and the bins hadn't been collected yet, so I have resorted to putting my bins on the opposite side of the road.

This way I am 100% confident that my bins get collected and I asked the residents of this house if they would mind if I put my bins with theirs and they were fine about it.

#10 Feralishous

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (daturah @ 28/02/2013, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, the Garbo can still get the bin with a car parked on the street in front of it. That's how they do their job in inner city suburbs where often streets are jam-packed with parked vehicles.

They have a long extendable arm, and if the bin is very difficult to get to, generally the Garbo has a helper who gets out and drags the bin so it can be reached.

Sorry - ETA I am in Brisbane, and have never had a problem the Garbo collecting bins around parked cars.

same for us in inner city melbourne

#11 Pearson

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

Just squeeze them in or on your neighbours verge.  Then leave a nice note on the windscreen, or go see them when they are home asking to please leave enough space for the bins on bin night - they might have forgotten it was bin night even!

#12 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

I also live in an area in which the streets are lined with parked cars. The garbage collectors come through and put all the bins out in the street, the truck collects them, then they are placed back by the collectors on the footpath.
I'm not sure that this happens in less built up areas though.

Why don't you take a peek one morning to see what happens in your street, so you know whether you need to address the issue or not?

Edited by WhimsicalDragonfly, 05 March 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#13 Prissy Princess

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Different area's have different garbage trucks and most have only a driver.
I wouldn't like a bin to be retrieved over the top of my car once let alone on a regular basis so if you tell your neighbor that is what will happen they may remember bin night more often.  
I am  somewhat of an expert on garbage trucks as I have watched hundreds of hours of youtube clips on garbage trucks thanks to DS's obsession with them, the sad thing is I enjoyed a lot of them.

#14 jojonbeanie

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Put your bins in front of the apron going into your driveway. This would be helpful to the collectors and mean there is no chance of damage to any parked cars.

#15 Mpjp is feral

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE (snortle @ 28/02/2013, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in eastern suburbs VIC and my garbage man told me that they won't collect bins if there is a car blocking direct access to the bins.
Not sure if that's everywhere or just in our area.

I'd put them on the neighbours strip and ask the car owners not to park there on bin night if possible.

Inner city Melbourne here.... If that was the case we would be swimming in garbage!! Our gearbox get bins from the most unlikely places....there will be a doco made on hem one day!!!

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Outer Eastern Melbourne here and they can grab the bin over something parked in front of them but I'd still leave the neighbours a note saying you are worried their car might get damaged and ask them to park elsewhere on bin night.

#17 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

Just to clarify, on our street, the collector moves the bins from the footpath to the road through the space between the cars, not over the cars! Despite it being a crowded street with very few driveways, there is always room between the cars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.