hitting in the playground
not happy with school's response

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mamaidh

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

My 9 year old was firstly grabbed by the wrists and yanked twice, then hit by another child yesterday.  She went to the teacher on duty and was told to go and tell the offender to not do it again.  Am I overreacting in thinking this isn't good enough?  I am all for children sorting things out for themselves, but surely physically hurting another child should be dealt with a bit more seriously?  Kids get in more trouble than that for things like talking in class or forgetting their homework.  Our school has 5 rules - #1 Keep your hands and feet to yourself.

Would like to hear other's opinions please

Edited by Mamaidh, 28 February 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#2 Jersey Caramel

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

At my son's school, any form of violence (one incident) goes straight to level 2 discipline which means reporting to the Stage Supervisor for 3 days and needs to demonstrate improved behavior, made to revise the school rules and consequences, and miss out on excursions and any non-essential activities during the 3 days. They're also taken out of the playground at lunch time for 3 days.

Obviously, I'd expect the playground teacher to get to the bottom of the story before implementing this (eg. was it actually a play wrestle/game that got out of hand rather than anything malicious) but I'm happy with the no-tolerance policy towards physical abuse at our school.

(ETA: I know from speaking to other parents that the Supervisor actually spends a lot of time with the child being 'disciplined' to actually get to the bottom of their issues, find techniques that will help them, build a relationship and rapport with them. I realised after I typed that it all sounds very punitive, but it is done in a positive way and all about remediation).

Edited by Jersey Caramel, 28 February 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#3 justthegirls

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

What would you like to have happened?  I think that at age 9, kids should be able to try and work things out for themselves before involving the teacher (unless of course we're talking something more serious).  Whilst violence isn't something to be taken lightly, what happened to just going and playing somewhere else?

#4 Mamaidh

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Personally, I think that
just going and playing somewhere else
is taking violence lightly!  I believe that my children have a right to be safe in at school, and to me, this action has given the other child the message that it was ok to do that.  I think that at a minimum, the teacher should have spoken to her and sent her to sit out for 10 minutes.  Had it just been teasing, not including in a game, things like that, absolutely I am all for the children sorting it out for themselves (providing it is not in the form of on going bullying or more serious than just your average primary school tiff)

#5 justthegirls

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yes they have a right to be safe, but at age 9, they're grade 3 or 4, and your daughter should be old enough to say to the other child to stop that.  If it continued beyond that, then by all means get the teacher involved, but running to the teacher straight up just seems like kids aren't being given the skills to try and deal with these issues themselves.  Kids are kids, and they sometimes get a bit rough through play.

#6 Mamaidh

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Fair point justthegirls.  This was straight out vendictive "I hate you" followed by the physical attack so not just play turning a bit rough, but the teacher didn't ask any questions.

#7 Mummy Em

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'd expect more. You'd never tell an adult who had been hit by another adult to just move away or tell the other child not to do it again - very dismissive.

OP what is the school's policy on these types of incidents?

#8 Copacetic

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes, you should expect more, but did you ask your daughter WHY this happened?

My 9 year old is a hitter, and went to mainstream school for a while, and yeah, a couple of kids got hit.  Here's what I know:  kids who hit NEVER hit for zero reason.  It may not seem like a good reason, but there's always a reason.

#9 Mamaidh

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

what is the school's policy on these types of incidents?

I thought that it was a 'red card' for incidents in the playground, which means trip to the office and note sent home to parents.  I don't know if that is a straight out 'if you break rule #1' or just for the more extreme cases.  However, we got a new principal last year and things have changed a bit, so not entirely sure now.

#10 DEVOCEAN

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (justthegirls @ 28/02/2013, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would you like to have happened?  I think that at age 9, kids should be able to try and work things out for themselves before involving the teacher (unless of course we're talking something more serious).  Whilst violence isn't something to be taken lightly, what happened to just going and playing somewhere else?

Yeah, let them sort it out and then check the damage later in the sick bay.
Or let the little aggressor continue on their merry way to terrorising other children, instead of nipping it in the bud.

#11 Mamaidh

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Copacetic, yes that was the first thing I asked!  There was a reason, my daughter lost hold of the hula hoop she was playing with and it rolled over and hit the other child so she retaliated by grabbing her arms, yanking them, telling her she hated her, then hitting her.  Not sure whether my daughter related this to the teacher or if she just said she had been hit.

#12 DEVOCEAN

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Copacetic @ 28/02/2013, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kids who hit NEVER hit for zero reason.  It may not seem like a good reason, but there's always a reason.

I hate her hair. He looked at me. She said my name. He wanted to play in our area.
There are also kids who just hit for the sake of hitting.

#13 TopsyTurvy

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I think the teacher should have at least talked to the other child involved.  The response was very dismissive IMO.  This is how bullying starts and should be treated as such.

#14 Tigerdog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

at age 9, they're grade 3 or 4, and your daughter should be old enough to say to the other child to stop that.

Sorry, but not OK.  I've worked in both youth and adult refuges and it doesn't matter what age, any form of violence isn't tolerated and means you're out on your ear (not saying this is what should automatically happen in a school environment, just an example of how any person or institution who has any awareness of the nature of violence in general would only ever advocate for a no-tolerance policy).  

As a PP said, every time it happens a strong message should be sent that it isn't acceptable.  Violence isn't something that should ever be let slide, that's how it becomes so insidious and perpetuates.

Edited by Tigerdog, 28 February 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#15 Escapin

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

The thing is though, it just doesn't matter what the reason is. Hitting is NEVER OK. If we can't make that clear to 9yo kids (even if they don't always get it) what hope do we have.

As far as I'm concerned, one slap/hit/whatever and the kid should be straight into age-appropriate discipline. 'Sort it out yourselves' is crap. If the OP's daughter could sort it out herself, she wouldn't have gone to the teather. The 'sort it out yourself thing' continues right through to workplace bullying and it makes me VERY MAD.

ETA: Snap PP original.gif

Edited by Escapin, 28 February 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#16 Mamaidh

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

That is the thing, this child has a history of being mean to mine verbally but now it seems to have escalated to physical.  It needs to get nipped in the bud, but even without a history being there, I really believe that physical violence needs to be dealt with seriously.  This wasn't rough play, it was straight out vindictive.

ETA my daughter initially went to another area of the playground where some other friends were playing, and they took her to the teacher.

Edited by Mamaidh, 28 February 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#17 Escapin

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (stopwhiningatme @ 28/02/2013, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be happy to let my daughter sort it out herself.  Not if the incident was super aggressive, or if there was a pattern of behaviour from this child, but for one incident?  Sure.  

I also think using terms like 'violence' and talking about experiences in youth refuges is way over the top in a thread about what is normal, albeit undesirable behaviour from a primary aged child.

But it's NOT normal to still be hitting other kids when you are 9 years old! And exactly how do you think the OP's daughter should have dealt with it? Hit the other kid back? Called her names? What would you suggest exactly?

And so equivalently, at work, if I don't like what someone says and I give them a little slap? That's OK? They should just 'work it out' with me and not go to their manager? GRRRRRR

Edited by Escapin, 28 February 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#18 Tigerdog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I also think using terms like 'violence' and talking about experiences in youth refuges is way over the top in a thread about what is normal, albeit undesirable behaviour from a primary aged child.

Hello, this is how a pattern starts and escalates into adulthood?  Not as far-fetched as you may think.  Yes, the behaviour may be relatively normal but the response can mean all the difference and IMO, the response given here with the OP was woefully inadequate.  Even a talking-to from the teacher would have been better than just expecting the child to sort it out themselves.  Bullies and perpetrators of domestic and other forms of violence thrive on this type of indifferent response as it enables them continue to perpetrate their behaviour!

Edited by Tigerdog, 28 February 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#19 Mamaidh

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Have spoken to the teacher this afternoon and it turns out that it was a relief teacher (there are quite a few new staff this year and my daughter thought it was one of them).  She is due back next week and the class teacher will talk to her then.  She also discussed what happened with my daughter.  Happy for now that class teacher feels it needs to be followed through, and that it doesn't appear to be the usual way to deal with it at the school.  Thanks for your opinions - I was able to clarify in my mind my thoughts on the matter (ie. physically harming another child is not ok and the child needs to learn that from the earliest age, and it needs to be continually reinforced).

#20 Copacetic

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

I hate her hair. He looked at me. She said my name. He wanted to play in our area.
There are also kids who just hit for the sake of hitting.

Or how about "I'm autistic and about 90% of the children in my school use it against me".

I"m not saying hitting is right.  What I'm saying is that sometimes - without actually doing it - I wanted to high 5 him for doing it.

#21 PaigeP

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Our school expects children from grade 4 and up to deal with school yard incidents and bullying themselves initially. If it escalates despite requesting it to stop then they are welcome to speak to a teacher and it will go from there. But the first thing the teachers will do is ask how they have attempted to stop it first. The kids are well educated in this so understand how to deal with it.  I prefer their method because the kids are empowered to deal with bullies themselves and learn some vital life skills which I worry are lacking sometimes these days in people.
I think the teacher was probably thinking that at 9yo kids should be able to deal with it themselves - initially.

#22 sheamus

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

So if someone smacked you one in the work place you would stand there and say : stop I don't like it. ?  You would expect no ramifications be it the police or your boss.?

It is unfair to expect our kids to deal with situations we would deem as a serious offense- in fact its really sad and cruel to expect this sad.gif

Edited by Omega_particle, 28 February 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#23 sheamus

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

No, but it is unfair to expect kids to brush off stuff we would likely take to court.
I think the teacher should do something and should be involved.

Edited by Omega_particle, 28 February 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#24 sheamus

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

lol and after reading ur reply again yes, i get it. wink.gif

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

The teacher should have assisted the students to negotiate a solution. Simple.

Not told the child to go off and sort it out alone without adult support.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.