Keli Lane to apply for bail

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 DEVOCEAN

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

CONVICTED baby killer Keli Lane will today apply for bail ahead of her appeal against her jailing for the murder of her daughter Tegan.
The former champion water polo paper was found guilty in December 2010 of murdering the two-day old girl shortly after they left Auburn Hospital on September 14, 1996.
The Supreme Court jury were told Lane had five secret pregnancies- Tegan, another two children who were adopted out and two terminations.
Lane, 37, has always maintained she gave Tegan to her father, man called Andrew Norris or Morris with whom she had a brief affair, but neither he or the child have ever been found.

- See more at: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/conv...h.Po6ACvqL.dpuf

Personally, if she has been found guilty then I think she needs to serve the time.
I cannot understand why if the man was given the baby, he didn't approach police via a lawyer and say so.

#2 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

I've always felt uneasy about this verdict. I'm glad it's being appealed. If an appeal has been granted, she's legally able to apply for bail.

#3 Oriental lily

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

This case has always made me feel uneasy as well.

Many woman have done similar, hidden pregnacies, given birth and then in an act of desperation murdered them.
They have been given more compassion and understanding of their mental distress and feelings of desperation that Kelli has been given.
Her adopting out later children and aborting pregnacies certainly implies she certainly did not want to be or was mentally incapable of motherhood.

I suppose that her never confessing to the murder means that her defense team could not claim mental impairment. Meaning a more harsher sentence was given.

So why didint she confess?
Perhaps she is innocent?
Perhaps she was so mentally unwell she genuinely thought she gave this baby to its father?
was she in a episode of post natel psychosis?

Yeah this case makes me feel uneasy.

#4 AngryBird

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

This has long struck me as a very unusual case where nowhere near enough information is known to give a verdict either way - and the gaoling of a woman who at worst murdered her baby amidst the depths of mental illness and who at best simply gave her child to her other parent - seems very wrong.

#5 littleboysmum

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (AfroCircus @ 02/03/2013, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the gaoling of a woman who at worst murdered her baby amidst the depths of mental illness and who at best simply gave her child to her other parent - seems very wrong.

I think murdering your own child, whether mentally ill or not is pretty disturbing. I agree with the PP that there is a lack of substantial evidence/ information surrounding the case and that nobody can 'prove' that baby Tegan died, but if she gave the baby to his father, why on earth wouldn't he just come forward. The fact she had 5 secret pregnancies is highly unusual to me. Of course that doesn't 'prove' anything, but it certainly makes me doubt that she is telling the truth.

#6 AngryBird

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

I agree it is disturbing, but not in a "lock her up and teach her a lesson" way. More a "desperate woman needs support and treatment". I don't think gaoling her was the right approach, whether she killed Tegan or not.

The father would not be under any obligation to come forward - he may have moved overseas and never even heard about the case. Or not wanted to be known, or desired to protect Tegan's privacy, or didn't care what happened to Keli, or they may have previously agreed she'd never hear from them again no matter what. So many possibilities.

#7 littleboysmum

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

I agree, that theoretically there are many possibilities, but I just don't have a good feeling about this case. I think that if she is/was genuinely mentally ill then gaoling her may not have been the right approach, but how do you know she is/ was mentally ill? I honestly don't think a child just vanishes like that.

#8 slinky

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

http://www.news.com....2-1226782629484

Well, she lost her appeal. I am don't know how to feel about this case. Very wary of the fact that there is no body or evidence too suggest she murdered Tegan, also then why hasn't Andrew N/Morris come forward?

#9 Mummy_Em

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

I find it strange that she was even charged with murder in the absence of any physical evidence of the child's death. All so strange.

#10 BetteBoop

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Yep. I don't know what to think but there's no proof she killed the baby.

#11 nup

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

I don't know what to think about this at all. If a parent is responsible for a child and can't explain where the child is, then what? Are authorities just supposed to wait until evidence becomes available either way? I've followed it on and off (and only loosely) over the years, but the idea that a case was constructed based solely on her history seems off as there was no history of harm was there? Reminds me of another disputed case of infanticide I've read about elsewhere with an adopted sibling pursuing the mother via the police and insistent that she knew her sister had killed her child.

Lane's trial is certainly an odd story from a legal point of view.

#12 slinky

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

There are other reported cases of missing children and babies and their mothers are walking free. I think of Lindy Chamberlain and how she was convicted without a body too (from memory). It just seems inconsistent.
If by some chance she is telling the truth, I cannot fathom what she is going though. She wasn't even convicted with all 12 jurors agreeing. An element of doubt in the jurors also. The judge overruled the jurors.
If she is guilty for the same reasons above, she is banking on the fact that there is doubt and that it isn't a watertight case.
Its a hard one.

#13 Cat People

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

She had a responsibility to that child when she walked out the hospital with her.  She failed.  There is no reason in this world 'Andrew Morris' wouldn't have come forward, or there was some clue to his whereabouts, unless perhaps he had sinister motives himself. You don't just hand a baby over to someone without there being some proof.  I don't know how they found her guilty but I'm glad they did.  Too often caregivers/parents get away with abuse or murder of children because it's easy to hide the disappearance of a child, and if there are two parents involved, it's hard to prove which one did it when they often back each other up.

#14 Brrrroooce!

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

In this day and age, people can be found fairly easily.

For example, this man had only a first name and a photo, yet managed, through social media, to find this woman who he had spent only hours with.

http://www.news.com....f-1226782058359

I don't buy the "can't find him" excuse.

#15 MsFeral

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Had she chosen to abort the child I would have supported her 100%. But she hid the pregnancy and gave birth to her and whatever happened next, clearly the outcome for this baby has not been good.
As PP said, it's easy to find people these days, I feel if Tegan was out there shed have been found.

#16 sheamus

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think that just because someone disposes a body or living child well enough that this should not give them the right to get away with murder or illegal adoption.

Edited by cheetah_chi, 14 December 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#17 Mummy_Em

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

^but then what do you charge them with? It can't be "being the last person to see a child alive under suspicious circumstances". That's not actually a crime.

#18 slinky

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

I agree Mummy_Em. Just because the baby is missing doesn't mean she killed it. From a legal perspective it is very grey! Like I said in a previous post there are many missing children,whom parents are suspects but just because the child is missing, there isn't an assumption of guilt therefore declare them guilty and lock them up.

My argument is not if she is guilty of not, but rather the fact that she is in jail on next to no evidence of murder.]

Edited for spelling

Edited by slinky, 15 December 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#19 The Old Feral

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

There's no evidence of a death, let alone a murder.  It's a very strange case.

#20 Owliegirl

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

I think it has more to do with the lack of substantial evidence and more like speculation used to convict her, somewhat based upon sexist attitudes about how women act or behave about having children. I think she was convicted more because of the attitude that women should behave or be a certain way.

#21 mollybot

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

There were a couple of old legal principles which would have scuppered this case. The first was that you couldn't be charged with murder if the Police couldn't find a body. The second was a special plea of temporary insanity, available only to women in the first year post-partem.

These have both long gone by the wayside, but either would have seen Kelli go free.

There is something not right about this case, and you simply cannot lock someone up on the basis of a suspicion. There is no just causal chain going from saying " You had a baby", to "We can't find that baby" to "Therefore you murdered that baby". Waaaaay too tenuous for me....

Edited by mollybot, 15 December 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#22 Heather11

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostSoytotheWorld, on 14 December 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

She had a responsibility to that child when she walked out the hospital with her.  She failed.  There is no reason in this world 'Andrew Morris' wouldn't have come forward, or there was some clue to his whereabouts, unless perhaps he had sinister motives himself. You don't just hand a baby over to someone without there being some proof.  I don't know how they found her guilty but I'm glad they did.  Too often caregivers/parents get away with abuse or murder of children because it's easy to hide the disappearance of a child, and if there are two parents involved, it's hard to prove which one did it when they often back each other up.

Yes I agree with this.

If Andrew Morris was the father she could have handed the child over legally with paper work filled out.  They could have then decided there would be no further contact made between them.

#23 petals1

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Just out of interest , those who think it's "another Lindy Chamberlain " case what do you make of the 5 (!) hidden pregnancies?

That is 2 abortions, 2 adoptions and 1 "missing presumed killed by the mother".

Nobody knew about these pregnancies.

For a start how deceptive would you have to be to get away with that 5 times

Secondly, in this day and age , being a modern  woman in  Sydney there is no way she didn't have access or knowledge about contraception. The continual pregnancies seem perverse.

If there was a father , named Andrew or anything else you do not hand a newborn over in a carpark.

It is an awful case but nothing like the Chamberlain's

#24 mollybot

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

Yeah, they changed the law so that you can convict without a body quite a long time ago. But it can, and does, lead to injustices- just like the Chamberlain case.

I guess they weighed up the injustice of a murderer getting away with it because they could completely dispose of the body; versus an innocent person being jailed because they couldn't explain someone's disappearance adequately, or there was enough forensic evidence to convict them in the absence of a body.

This is not what happened to Kelli though. She had a baby. She no longer has the baby. They do not believe her explanation as to what happened to the baby. They have no evidence whatsoever, forensic or otherwise, that she killed the baby. It makes me deeply uneasy.

Overseas news no more covers Australian cases than Australian news outlets cover overseas cases. This bloke could be living in the US, or Canada, or Europe, or South America and simply hasn't seen that there is a case happening in Australia regarding his daughter.... Its mentioned briefly in the Guardian, but none of the other Uk papers are running it....

I think she has been convicted because of disapproval over her lifestyle and sexual behaviour, rather than because of any real evidnce that she actually killed her baby.

#25 petals1

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

I think that very learned judicial type people have reviewed ALL the evidence, twice now after the appeal, and still think she's guilty.

I doubt they were concerned about her lifestyle beside the fact she was apparently a pathological liar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.