Overheard a conversation UPDATE
Original post deleted for privacy

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Wise Old Owl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Fully deleted now due to this matter being taken higher.

Edited by OneBlueStar, 28 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#2 snortle

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Oh I have no advice unfortunately but I would have been so upset in your shoes.
I probably would have given them a piece of my mind and made some rather stern comments about their (lack of) professionalism.

#3 FluffyOscar

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

I would tell my DH. Someone has to look out for him. Very sad and highly unprofessional. I'd hate to think your DH assumed he was working with professional people, when he's not.

#4 Silly Sausages

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Wow OP, I'm surprised you said nothing in defense of your DH.... I understand that you may be concerned about repercussions but I don't think anyone could have had any grounds for self defence had you clearly stated that was unprofessional of them, not to mention downright nasty. Calling people names like shrek, is immature and nasty. I would have said something if I were in your shoes, but I do understand that not everyone likes confrontation. Still, what if it had been about one of your children? Would you have spoken up then?

ETA: if I were in your DH's shoes I would want to know what was going on as hard as it may be to hear. Better that than to be under the illusion they are his friends and thus enable them to make even  more fun of him.

Edited by sillysausages, 27 February 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#5 Lickety Split

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

What sort of gossip was it? Was it to do with his work or was it more personal? Depending on what was actually said I would tell DH. How horrible though sad.gif

#6 lynneyours

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 27/02/2013, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would tell my DH. Someone has to look out for him. Very sad and highly unprofessional. I'd hate to think your DH assumed he was working with professional people, or people who are his friend, when he's not.

ETA - the bold is mine.  It will be hurtful to hear, but clearly he needs to know NOT to trust or confide in these women at all.

#7 Illiterati

I would tell your DH as he will be the only one unaware of the conversation leaving an info gap for him.  

You are partners - you can discuss stuff like this at home - it is known as pillow talk. However, pillow talk remains confidential to the parties involved (you and your DH) which means even if you tell - he cannot mention or act on the information.

#8 bakesgirls

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

I think you should tell your DH. If these people have no issue talking about him with the knowledge that the wife of the subject of their gossip was somewhere in the room, then what on earth are they saying about him to other people? I would worry that what you heard may only be the tip of the iceberg in regards to inappropriate discussions.

I would also worry that what they are saying could negatively impact on how others see him and affect his job prospects in the future. Unfortunately, these people are saying things that others may hear and believe, without having met him personally.

ETA- if it had been me, I wouldn't have just stood there and done nothing. I would have given them both a piece of my mind. They would have been informed, in no uncertain terms how appalling their behaviour was and that it reflects badly on them.

Edited by bakesgirls, 27 February 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#9 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

I wouldn't tell my DH, mine would be gutted. Tbh I think I would actually complain. Name calling isn't acceptable in a workplace. It's unprofessional and childish. I wouldn't let these people get away with it.

#10 Wise Old Owl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Lickety Split @ 27/02/2013, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What sort of gossip was it? Was it to do with his work or was it more personal? Depending on what was actually said I would tell DH. How horrible though sad.gif

The conversation was both professional and personal sad.gif

I did mention to DH that I heard a conversation about him between these two people.  I relayed the part that was mentioned by the person giving the training that related to DH in a professional matter.  

This was when he told me that he thinks highly of both of these people and asked if anything nasty was said about him.  At this stage, knowing how personally he takes on anything like this I said no as I wanted to work out whether or not I was over reacting.  

#11 Wise Old Owl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (SlowEmotionReplay @ 27/02/2013, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would tell your DH as he will be the only one unaware of the conversation leaving an info gap for him.  

You are partners - you can discuss stuff like this at home - it is known as pillow talk. However, pillow talk remains confidential to the parties involved (you and your DH) which means even if you tell - he cannot mention or act on the information.

By telling him means that he can potentially act on this information which would have a negative impact on these two women involved.

I am not a confrontational person by any means.  I am going there again tonight so not sure whether or not to mention it to someone higher or just speak to DH about it.

sad.gif

#12 Funwith3

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

I think you should tell your DH. Maybe you don't need to tell him word for word (especially the particularly insulting parts), but you should still paint a very clear picture to him. He needs to know not to trust them...

I don't think I could have stood there and listened to people talk about my DH like that, I think I would have interrupted them and given them a piece of my mind. However, I understand why you did let it go - perfect chance to hear someone talking about your husband. Had you interrupted them you wouldn't have heard what they had to say about him!

Also, I think you could mention to the trainer that you couldn't help but hear everything that was said and that it made you feel uncomfortable and that you feel it was very unprofessional, given that she's training new staff. Suggest that if she wants to gossip about staff, she should perhaps do it where others can't hear.

So isn't your DH her boss? I can't understand why she isn't sh*tting herself, knowing that you heard what she said!!!

#13 FluffyOscar

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I wouldn't say anything to them about it, it makes your DH sound weak. I wouldn't complain about it, it gives the gossip/name calling a wider audience than it already has.

Seriously, tell your DH so he can keep these people at a safe professional distance.

#14 drowninginlego

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

They don't deserve your protection. As hard as it would be, I'd tell your DH.

FTR - I would have made it known right then and there who I was as soon as I realised they were being nasty.

Your poor DH.

#15 FluffyOscar

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Also, after telling your DH, he should say something to each of them when they are alone, separately. Something like "some might say I look like Shrek" or something while looking straight at them. Do it soon so they know he knows and they know to watch themselves. Even better that they don't know who you are.

#16 Illiterati

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Why are you watching their backs and not your DH's?

He does not have to directly act on the info. and in fact he should not.  But it will give him an awareness in his dealings with these staff members.

#17 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Was the professional stuff good?

If I heard people saying my DH was good at x, y, z but has a big nose so they call him Pinocchio, TBH I'd leave it at that -  but if they call him shrek because he's an ogre rather than green, chubby and smelly, then he needs to know - especially if it's true because it could equally be your DH who needs to alter how he deals with people.

I agree it's unprofessional.

#18 Tiger Lilly

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

I don't think it was appropriate to lie to your DH

#19 sa5ha

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Tell him.

I'd want to know if I was being talked about by my colleagues and my other half heard.

How unprofessional and silly of them.

#20 Luxe

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I'd tell him. What if there were other people there who are to eventually work with your DH. They could be effectively tarnishing his reputation unfairly.

You DH also needs to know that these people are two faced and not really his allies. Leave it to him to decide how to handle the information, but he does need to know.

#21 43 other ferals

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

I get that the only person you're trying to protect is your husband...you don't want his feelings to be hurt.

I also am not about to criticise you because you didn't confront them right there and then.  It's very easy to say, "You should have done x, that's what I'd have done."  You're not the one who is at fault here, you were placed in a situation that came as a shock, you were no doubt surprised and hurt and confused.  An attack on one's husband feels like an attack on one's self, really, and can be quite a blow.  We are very protective of those we love.

In your shoes, I'd probably approach both of them individually (in person or writing) and give then a piece of my mind and/or make a formal complaint.  

It does sound like your DH would be crushed.  I'm a sensitive sort of person and I know I would be in that situation.

#22 CallMeFeral

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (bellygood @ 27/02/2013, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want to share that advice with your DH as well, with no further detail, then go right ahead eg these two are gossips or whatever. Nothing further needs to be said, the main issue is that they are gossipy and snipey. That's all he (and you) need to know. There's no use getting into a 'he said, she said' type detail thing. It's enough to know they are not to be trusted not to gossip.

Yep I think this. Warn him that they are gossippey and two faced - no need to tell him the details about himself, poor guy sad.gif

#23 PurpleWitch

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

I'd go above their heads and complain about their professionalism.

I'd also tell my husband. And then let him sack them Tounge1.gif

#24 JustBeige

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

I agree with Bellygood.

The other alternative is to make an appointment with your HR manager (so going over the trainers head) and complain about their lack of professionalism.  This would depend on what was said and why though.

For example - if they called him Shrek because he's a mongrel to work for / with, then I would think twice about telling him, mainly because its no good passing on this info without any examples to back it up and they are going to have enough conflict when they start working together anyway.

If they were talking about physical appearance or intelligence and being disparaging and nasty then I probably wouldnt say anything to him either (doesnt impact their working relationship and only hurts him) but I would make a complaint to the HR manager about it.

If you do make a HR complaint, write down the facts and what was stated etc so you have it clearly in your head when you talk to someone about it.

#25 sāta kōrsa

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (moss @ 27/02/2013, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would tell your DH word-for-word. He trusts them when he should be watching out for them.

Absolutely agree.  I would tell DH because he has the maturity to not react in a childish way no matter how hurt he was, and he has the right to know who of his colleagues are genuine and who are laughing at him behind his back.  If it was my DH, he wouldn't confront them but would be grateful to know where he really stood.

OP, imagine your DH in the future trusting these people, confiding in them or organising a get together and happily inviting his 'friends'.  

He needs to know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.