Has anyone used a car seat on a long haul flight?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 samui

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

We are flying United to the states soon and have a 4 year old and a will be 11 month old. We have purchased seats for both.
I keep hearîng people talk about using a car seat inboard however I have never seen this done.

Just looking for anyone who has done so and what ÿou would suggest? Is it worth the effort and what one did you use?

For those who have not will it be possible for 11 month old to sleep in the seat ?

#2 2bundles

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Yes. We flew to Vancouver when dd was 3. She slept 7hrs straight in the car seat.

She seemed to accept that she couldn't go anywhere, so just sat. It also meant she was at the right height to see the seat back screens.  Also meant we could sleep even if she was awake as she couldn't go anywhere.

We did Europe when DS was 13mths. We didn't buy a seat. He used the bassinet (he was small).  It wasn't great but we survived.

Another advantage is that they are not throwing the seat around in the hold.

You should check with the airline that your seat is acceptable.  Also make sure they are aware you are bringing it. We flew Qantas and an ''engineer" had to come to fit the seat!!

Another thing to consider is you may have to carry it a fair way. We had to transit in LA and they made us take the seat with us even though we were getting back on the same plane.

#3 auldlangsyne

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

Edited by auldlangsyne, 03 March 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#4 hunter4

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

About 2 years ago I flew (qantas) from Boston to Sydney and back with my 18 month old DS and 3 year old DD.  I took a car seat for DS as I was by myself and I figured It would be necessary for dealing with the two kids.

I found it worked really well.  As per PP DS slept brilliantly in his seat which made the whole flight much better - He was awake for only 5 hours of the 12 hour flight.  He was happy to sit quietly for the time he was awake, for us it was well worth it.  The only thing that I found was that we couldn't put the tray table down as the seat was too high.

We took the safe-n-sound compaq which fitted on the seat really well.  We also used the gogo Kidz travel mate which was fantastic.

http://www.gogobabyz.com/product-i14550-c2...ravelmate_.aspx

I would really recommend it if you do decide to take the seat.  We actually used it as a stroller at the airport, was able to wheel it right down the asile to the seat (can't do this with a wider seat than the compaq though).

I've found flying around the states that it very much the done thing over here (as opposed to in australia). In fact american airlines actually recommend that you do take a car seat for  young children.

#5 kpingitquiet

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

Absolutely worth it original.gif We used kiddo's carseat (she was 15mo at the time) for every leg of our trip. That's Adelaide > Sydney > LA > SF in one shot, then two US cross-country flights and a return flight home to Adelaide from LA. She has a SnS Premier and it fit every type of plane you can imagine.

It was fantastic. She had a familiar seat, she was able to recline more than the large seat would've allowed. She was safe and secure in the method most recommended by the FAA. What more could ya ask for?

If flying Qantas, you need to call to arrange prior approval. US airlines are fine with it but will look for a FAA sticker (it won't be there). At worst, a manager will come sign off on it. We had zero problems and flew on roughly 6 different airlines. Make sure you check in at all your gates early, and request to be the first ones on the plane so you don't delay entering passengers while you buckle in the car seat. Some gate agents gave us attitude about this but they quickly learned their mistake when we bbacked up foot traffic for 10 mins biggrin.gif

My biggest recommendation is to take the GoGo Kidz Travelmate. This thing rocks. It's a wheely-cart attachment for your car seat. FANTASTIC! It made it super easy for us to navigate airports and gave her somewhere comfy to sit on long layovers. The cart/wheel attachment fits in every overhead bin we came across.

#6 vitaechel

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

I really wish we had used one. DS (3yo) was fine on the trip to Hawaii as he slept most of the time, but the next 2 legs were awful (he was tired and over it despite having had a 2 day layover). He kept undoing his belt, kicking seats and generally being a pest.
Not all seats are accepted apparently and so I made the decision not to take our Aussie one (which would not necessarily be legal here anyway and we are here for good, so had to have one that was US approved). If you can take one absolutely do it!
They can sleep in the seats easily. My DD was only 2 months old and although we had prearranged for the bassinet (and arrived hours ahead to get it), they gave it to another passenger. She just slept in my lap instead (with infant belt). DS just curled up next to his daddy. I pretty much didn't sleep LOL

#7 Escapin

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

So is there a list of OK car-seats somewhere? We have a Meridian Tilt and Adjust - is that OK? We fly Sydney to Perth regularly, and this would REALLY help!

#8 Coffeegirl

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

We've done the trip a number of times with and without seats.

Best thing ever was with the car seat.  DS was familiar with the seat, in his head - carseat=seatbelt on, we could easily feed him, he slept lots.  We even have photos of him sleeping in it in the transit lounge in LA.(4 hour stopover )

Wish they'd had the go-go things then, they look like they'd make it even easier!

Escapin, just give Qantas or Virgin or whoever you are flying with and they can give you the list.

#9 samui

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thanks everyone!! Sounds like it is a good idea!

I also have a SnS meridian but apparently none of the SnS ones have the FAA approved stickers on them.  We a flying United and when I rang them they said it must have this sticker.....  So can we buy any seats in oz that have this or is the a way around it? I ideally don't want to bûy another seat!

I'm worried we will take a seat and it doesn't fit on the seat!!  Ie. if we get Bulkhead so we can use a bassinet too aren't the seats more narrow? The meridian is quite wide isn't it.

For those who used the travel mate.... Didn't you also have a stroller with yôu? I want to take our Maclaren.

Where did you buy your travel mate?

#10 hunter4

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

with regards to the FAA sticker requirement I just sent an email to Safe-n-sound with the serial number etc and they sent me a letter stating that the seat was approved for use on airlines.  Whenever they did a check for the sticker (which they did do on each internal flight in the US) I just showed them that letter and they had no issues with it.

With regards to seat width if you measure the seat and call united with these measurements they'll be able to tell you if the seat will fit on their seats.

No I didn't have a stroller that I was taking but if you do want to take a stroller you can just check it in (part of the free luggage you can take with kids) then use the gogo mate in the airport.

Edited by hunter4, 28 February 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#11 kpingitquiet

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

No Aussie seats have the sticker original.gif For some reason, the Aussie air regulators haven't caught up with the times, despite having studies showing the safety bonus of kids using car seats on planes. You should still be able to use the seat. SnS, I believe, will give you a letter that states compliance, but we didn't need that. Everyone airline was fine with it and we flew Qantas, AA, Continental, and maybe two others.

I got my travelmate from a kind EB member who didn't need hers anymore! But you can order them online.

No, we didn't take a stroller. We aren't fans. We used the car seat + travelmate in airports and used our ergobaby carrier the rest of the time.

#12 CAMAL_PAT

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Escapin @ 28/02/2013, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So is there a list of OK car-seats somewhere? We have a Meridian Tilt and Adjust - is that OK? We fly Sydney to Perth regularly, and this would REALLY help!

You'll need to check the dimensions of the chair and the seat. When we flew to the UK our Meridian car seat was too wide for the chairs. We ended up using my mum's ZuZu instead. We transported the seat on a fold up luggage trolley that we could wheel onto the plane.
Taking our car seat on the long haul flight was fantastic! Our 14 month old was comfortable and contained and my husband and I could also have our own space during the flight. This made the whole flight so much more relaxing!
The only negative we experienced was that the flight crew didn't know the policy regarding toddlers in car seats, so made us take our toddler out for take off and landing and use a lap belt. This was contrary to the airlines policy that was online so was a bit frustrating. Also it doesn't make sense - to take a child from a five point safety harness to lap belt - crazy. I'd suggest printing off the policy before flying.

#13 Ice Queen

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

McLarens are brilliant for travel.  Light and good quality.

We have a travel bag so we put it in that and it goes in the hold and baby gets carried in an Ergo through airports and onto the plane. Therefore you have your hands free.  Ours has been on many, many flights and no breakages.

#14 credence

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

We'll be travelling with a 3 year old, do you guys think that I should go the carseat or not? Currently he's ok in it for car trips, but for example, he hates being in a stroller for any amount of time. He's at that age where he's a bit 'difficult' if you know what I mean.

I don't want to lug the thing if it's best not to. Thoughts?

#15 Jersey Caramel

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

We did a trip to the US with a 3 year old, credence (plus a 10 month old, but he had a bassinet). We didn't use the carseat on the way over but did on the way back, and I much preferred having it. I basically bribed DS with a bag of lollies to have the car seat (because he didn't have it on the way over, he was a bit resistant). It was great because it meant we could sleep and know that he was contained. It also put him at a better level to watch the entertainment screen, and gave DH and I somewhere to rest against to sleep! It's a much more comfortable incline for them than the adult seat too.

For PPs, we flew with Delta and they never even asked to see a sticker or anything.

#16 sueb31

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

I have found that up to the age of 4 I use a car seat on the plane where at all possible. My DD is small for her age so I may stretch that out slightly. Apart from the safety reasons, it is comfier (assuming they still fit in a FF seat, not a booster).

Sue

#17 snowcandy

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

We will be travelling next month and I would never fly without a carseat for an or toddler, most of all for safety reasons (turbulence and abrupt deceleration can cause injuries if they are not properly harnessed) as well as for a more settled child.

Please be aware that if you check your car seat with the luggage, there is a very real risk that, if it gets thrown around, dropped, tossed, left in the rain, has heavy items stored on it, moves around in the cargo hold, its structural integrity could be compromised to the point that it would not protect your child in a car accident - and unfortunately the damage may not be apparent to your eyes.  I'm sure we've all had suitcases damaged during transit - it happens right!

We will be purchasing a Brica Car Seat Transporter (similar to the go go kidz).

http://www.brica.com/roll-n-go-car-seat-transporter/

I have also printed off the airline policies for car seat use and a copy of the car seat manual.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.