Protein diet for fat loss?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 smileychik

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I am confused   unsure.gif

What is the purpose of the Whey Protein powders?  

Is the concept for fat loss s=to have protein at every meal and to have 6 meals a day?  

Is the protein shake just for having prior to and after exercise?  If I exercise first thing in the morning - I don't want to wait for the protein tp kick in.

Sorry I am confused.  Ultimately I want to tone up and lose fat - I don't have a lot to lose but want to lose the mid section flab. What is the best thing to do - high protein low carb???  I am not a fan of shakes thats all.

If protein powder is the way to go - which protein powder would you recommend?

#2 avjg

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Forget powder - eat real protein. Eat Meat, Eggs and Nuts.

Check out www.paleoplan.com

I swear the weight will drop off.

Why not enjoy your food - protein powders taste awful (plus they are a waste of money and unnatural)

Honestly. Eat real clean food and your body will be in its best shape ever.

I've just experienced recently myself and now I'm convinced.

Paleo eating. Look it up.

(PS - I'm never hungry and I eat (real) food all the time).

(NO bread, cereals, rice, pasta, sugar - check out paleo).

#3 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

So the OP should look up paleo? Is that right? Paleo?

I do agree that real protein is the way to go, the powders are expensive and taste foul apparently. Plenty of eggs, lean meat, nuts and fish.

#4 Molondy

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm bugered if I get the current protein powder fad if you are just a normal person looking to lose weight and/or get fit but the industry is certainly thriving!

They are simply an easy way to get more protein into your diet. In the morning if I am in a rush after exercise I will make a breakfast shake with a small amount of protein powder in it just to up the protein or sometimes If I'm making home made snack items like protein balls and muesli slices I'll chuck a bit in otherwise I prefer to get my protein from eggs, meat, nuts and dairy.

Seriously I wouldn't worry about protein powders just yet/

#5 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Another high protein / low carb diet is bodytrim.  My husband follows it and has had great success.  Based on normal food & lots and lots of walking.

Best of luck to you.

(Protein powders also work out to be very expensive over time.  I agree with the others that real food is the way to go as its sustainable long term)

#6 credence

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

I don't reckon you need to eat as much protein as a lot of people seem to be doing.

I believe that yes, you should have protein at every meal, but I see little point in adding additional protein powder meals to your diet. If you need a snack, have a handful of almonds or a boiled egg. The good thing about these is that they have a bit of protein and a bit of fat and will actually keep you quite satisfied for some time.

Protein shakes just taste disgusting too. If you're doing lots of exercise them maybe go for it, but otherwise just look for protein rich foods.

#7 raven74

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I swear the weight will drop off.

Oh, ****ing paleo.  rant.gif I am getting SO SICK of hearing this.  My DH is pure paleo because it suits his body type - it helped him (along with a training regime) stack on 14kg's of muscle.  Paleo makes me gain weight.  Right now I am training like a freak and two weeks ago went to a protein only (paleo) diet as opposed to the high protein/low carb that I was doing and losing on.  I DID NOT LOSE WEIGHT. I stank.  I got constipated. I got really, really cranky.  Paleo is NOT guaranteed to work for everyone. The weight will not necessarily "drop right off".   It can also be at times with certain foods, high in calories.  
So many paleo eater treat it as a free for all on protein and that just isn't conducive to weight loss for many people.

Protein is important for satiety and for building good lean muscle mass - and best done through eating it.  Lots of powders are quite high is sugars, too.  I think whey powders are just a gold mine for the health and fitness industry with no real long term gains to be had for the consumer.

#8 boatiebabe

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Protein makes you feel fuller for longer and that is why it is important to have protein at meal times (and snack times) - so you don't overeat on carbs.

I use non flavoured (the flavoured ones are gag worthy!) cold filtered whey protein (Tony Sfiers is my fav) but only sometimes as a meal replacement. Usually when I am running late for work, I will make one and have it on the way to work.

Typical mix is half a banana, some coconut water, a handful of nuts, ice cubes and a the protein powder.

Otherwise I get protein from eggs, meat, diary etc.

I've found that eating good proteins, good fats, and vegetables, pulses etc and limited fruit helps me to maintain weight and my health.

Paleo also works for me but is a bit limiting and raises too many eyebrows.

#9 credence

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

protein only (paleo) diet

Just to clarify, paleo is not a protein only diet. It's a way of eating that includes protein, fats, vegetables, fruits. It doesn't include a lot of starchy vegetables and grains.

No doubt only eating protein is going to clog your system up!

#10 Clever Clogs

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Google "plant positive" and "Dr McDougall" before upping your protein. Losing weight is not the only thing you should consider when choosing a lifestyle.

#11 Domestic Goddess

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Odd. I have to gain weight and my dietitian has told me to drink protein shakes and use 60 grams of Proform powder every day. Put it through mashed potatoes and sauces.

Never thought of protein for weightloss though.......

#12 Snot stew

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Not sure if this is an issue for you but be wary of sticking to a strict paleo diet if you are vegetarian/vegan or 'mostly' vegetarian like me.  I found myself very low on energy with it.

I am eating about 95% clean (unprocessed or minimally processed) and am having great results, have lost a lot of fat, gained a lot of muscle and have fantastic energy levels.

#13 matt1972

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Learn how to cook great tasting meals based on protein and vegetables that aren't deep fried or slathered in butter in appropriate portions and you will lose weight.

You can't target weight loss. Your body will decide where the weight comes from when you lose it.

Forget protein powders. 99% of the population have absolutely no reason to be consuming them. They are a wonder of modern marketing.

#14 kpingitquiet

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

If you don't really need the weight to "melt/fly/fall off" and just want to subtly adjust your life so that loss is continual and gradual and doesn't greatly alter your existence, my general advice is to follow a quote from Michael Pollan.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." original.gif

Real food, portion control and plant-filled cooking has been great for me. Do I lose big numbers weekly? Heck no. But I'm always losing, never gaining, and I don't miss out on anything at all. I definitely include protein in my meals. Generally I go for a 50% colorful veg, 25% protein, 25% grain/starch combination.

FWIW, protein powder would qualify as neither real food nor plants original.gif

#15 Feral-Lausii

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I have lost a considerable amount of weight and still have a way to go. I have used protein shakes, the ready made ones on my heavy lifting days and boot camp. Especially if my protein intake has been woeful I make sure I have one. I am trying to keep my macros to protein 30% Carbs %50 and fats %20. Its working for me. In fact when I get to goal weight I will still probably use them on my heavy training days as I do notice I have more energy and get a better workout. The one I have is only 130 calories and fits in very well with my daily calories.

I think you just have to find what works for you.  original.gif

#16 9ferals

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Protein powder is just another way to get your calories and macros into your diet. I don't think there is anything magical in it, its just a great example of good marketing.

If you aren't getting much protein in your diet generally, then give it a try - otherwise just eat real food in moderate quantities (what kpingitquiet says) and don't waste your money.

All those promises of "weight will just fall off" generally mean that you are eating less calories than you are burning.... which you can do with actual food and exercise, you don't need to pay extra.

#17 LoveMy3Kids

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I agree with some of what people are saying. Removing refined carbs in the form of starchy foods is a great move. Too much protein isn't good for anyone, so make sure you don't overdo it. If you cut refined carbs from your diet you'll need to add energy back in somehow, so healthy fats is the way to go. Don't fall for the old "saturated fats are bad for you" mantra as that's now been debunked. Lots of dairy, eggs, lard, ghee, coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil (not for heating) is good for you. Fat makes you feel full so you end up eating less without feeling tired. Low carb, high fat is a very healthy way to eat and makes you feel good, and losing weight is easy.

Check out www.dietdoctor.com/lchf if you're interested in finding out more. It's along the lines of Paleo but has distinct differences. I couldn't do paleo as I love dairy.

#18 Bazinga

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (credence @ 28/02/2013, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to clarify, paleo is not a protein only diet. It's a way of eating that includes protein, fats, vegetables, fruits. It doesn't include a lot of starchy vegetables and grains.

No doubt only eating protein is going to clog your system up!

+ 1

Lots of leafy veg, lean protein ( I love turkey) and complex carbs along with portion control and regular exercise will see anyone lose weight.

Try some interval training. short intense bursts of energy. remember to mix up your exercise to keep your body from plateauing.

And remember it shouldn't be about the number on the scales. Muscle weighs more than fat so small or no losses can still mean your becoming fitter. Look at your clothes, are they looser? Do you feel better? Is your complexion better? Do you have more energy?

Paleo can be a bit full on for some so an easy way is just replacing certain foods with better alternatives. Replace white rice with brown or quinoa, white bread with multigrain, potato for sweet potato, white pasta for whole meal, simple changes can make a huge difference.

Edited by Bazinga, 28 February 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#19 Super Cat

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

A proper Paleo diet has carbs. It should never be just protein! Look for the 'PaleOMG' blog. Some great recipes there. Also look up Robb Wolf and Sean Croxton. It's not super easy to follow in our modern day world but it's worth it if you can.

I also think getting protein from food sources is better than shakes, unless you're body building.

#20 Oilucy

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

I've always had good results from protein shakes (not supermarket ones I might add as they have barely any protein in them at all) and I purchase from www.asn.com.au
I choose a low or zero carb variety.
I also eat lots of green veg/salad and eat healthy foods like a tin of tuna, can of chickpeas etc multiple times a day ie 6 smaller meals rather than 3 bigger meals.
I believe however that you need to consume protein in conjunction with some weight training as the protein helps your muscles which in turn helps to burn fat...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.