Twins advice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DylMah

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hi  original.gif

I found out at my 12 week scan today that I'm having twins. Most likely non-identical as they have separate sacs and separate placentas. I have no idea what to expect, so if anyone could hit me with some advice about what to expect with a twin pregnancy and raising twins, or even good sites for info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 mumto3princesses

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Congratulations original.gif

The Multible Birth Association is a really good place to start. I presume members still get discounts at a few places which helps. (It was over 9yrs ago for me though)

Pregnancy wise with my girls I had no issues with them at all. They are fraternal (non-identical) and as my OB told me they were in seperate bedrooms LOL. I had problems myself due to a huge DVT but they were fine the whole way through. Other than my DVT my pregnancy was no different to when I had DD#1 except WAY bigger of course. LOL

#3 rainycat

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Congratulations!

My twin pregnancy was uneventful but i was measuring 12 weeks ahead so was huge fairly early on, which made doing stuff fairly impossible from about 27 weeks on.  Get organised as soon as you can, you can contact your local amba (multiple birth assoc) as well.

I read heaps of stuff online as well as a few twin books just to get a heads up of what it would be like.  Online forums are good too.

I was advised to do as little as possible which was great advice.  I see you have other kids as well.  
We don't have any other support around so my DH took 6 weeks off when they were born which was wonderful.  I don't think i would of coped so well on my own at first.

Anyway I could go on and on but I'm sure you will get heaps of advice, just take what you want from that.  I had so many people telling me negative stories and that they will come early, it's soooo much work,  blah blah blah. I had mine at 37weeks and was home on day 5 so not all twins are premmie.
I did find the first year I was head down bum up but that happens with all babies.

I took each day and week as it came and tried not to stress about what was ahead. This really helped me.

I love having twins.  Mine are 3 now and they are great fun.  Obviously we still have our moments!

Good luck.

#4 Jo-Anna

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Can't help you with the 'once they arrive' part as I am only 30 weeks now. The only advice I would give is to get organised early. I was told this but people made me feel silly for doing all the shopping etc too early. Now I am this huge (doesn't help my twins are measuring big too) I can't be in the car/walk around for long with getting soooo exhausted and sore that I can't function the next day. Get as much help as you can and if you can afford a cleaner later on it is a great help. My DH works a lot and I just can't do the heavy cleaning so have a lady come fortnightly.
I also went to the local library and hired every twin book they had to prepare myself.
Another help has been doing pilates and seeing a fantastic chiro to help with all the aches and pains. I also think it has helped with getting in the right shape to get both the babies heads down (if you are preparing for a vaginal birth).
Your kids are a bit older than mine, but I have found that it helps to get some activities together that they can do at home where you can sit and watch (or lay and watch!) such as new colouring or sticker books, or a special DVD for days when you are feeling really rubbish.
Feel free to join us over on the expecting multiples forum, it's a good place to have a vent to people who understand how/what you are feeling.

All the best!

#5 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Congratulations  biggrin.gif

Each pregnancy is different as you will find on here we have all had different experiences, some general things I can think of are the likelihood or extra scans to check growth and positioning of babies (once I hit 20 weeks I had a scan every 4 weeks to check on their growth, the possibility of going into labour early (though this isn't certain, my two were evicted with no sign of labour at all), and how big you are likely to get, I was huge lol, though it never bothered me as I loved looking at my big belly (though being so big made getting around harder).

Some of the things that went on during my twin pregnancy was bleeding, I had 3 bleeds, one was really big and lasted a week, each time I had a bleed I was put on strict bed rest until the bleeding had stopped for 24hrs. I also developed Obstetric Cholestasis which again put me on bed rest and required checks every 48hrs of me and the babies up until birth to make sure they were ok (this is also why they were evicted at 37 weeks, as soon as I hit full term my dr wanted them out to avoid any complications). The amount of pressure carrying them put on my lungs also had me feeling breathless a lot, by the end I couldn't even do the grocery shopping as just getting from the car to the entrance to the shop was having me huffing and puffing. During all of this though my little babies were absolutely perfect, they were born scoring almost perfect apgars and passed all checks with flying colours  original.gif

My advice is to take things easy, don't push yourself too hard, if you need a break then take a break, if you're tired then have a nap (even if it's the middle of the day), any baby shopping you need to do I recommend doing early as the bigger you get the harder it is to get around and the more tired you get. If you are EVER worried about something just call your Dr, it is what they are there for, it is always better to play it safe (I found out about my Obstetric Cholestasis because I woke up with itchy feet, I had no idea what obstetric cholestasis was and thought i was just having some sort of reaction and wanted to know what I could take for it, they told me to get my ass to hospital for monitoring and a blood test). Get maternity clothes now, I really popped with my pregnancy and was wearing my maternity pants by 11 weeks lol. No real advice on raising them, you just do what you would have done with a singleton (but twice lol), just make sure they are treated as individuals and you will be fine. Also don't expect to get much done during the first couple of months at home, getting up to two every night is exhausting, sleep when they sleep was our motto.

#6 Libster

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Congratulations! Having separate sacs and placentas is great  original.gif My girls were fraternal and I had a great, problem-free pregnancy and had them at 37 weeks, I hope you also have a wonderful pregnancy  original.gif
I echo the suggestions to join your local AMBA, plus their Facebook page is great for asking questions, you'll get lots of great answers.
https://www.facebook.com/AustralianMultiple...=ts&fref=ts

For me, having them in the same routine as much as possible stopped me from going insane.
If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to PM me!

#7 Mariamsmum

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Just quickly as I have check dinner, but huge congratulations on your twin pregnancy!

Having twins is awesome, such a special club, but also a lot of very hard work. Just some quick thoughts:

1. If you are working, expect that you will be a lot more tired and much bigger earlier on. I stopped work at 31.5weeks as I could barely walk. I was working fulltime, but at 26 weeks I took each Wednesday off as annual leave as I physically could not walk around for 5 days in a row.
2. Get things ready early, as fullterm for twins is considered 38weeks.
3. If you are intending to breastfeed, invest in a good twin breastfeeding pillow. I used mybrestfriend and I loved it. Also learn to tandem feed before you leave hospital, it makes life so much easier and gives you so much more time. Don't be scared of expressing (I was a little). Establishing breastfeeding is such hard work, but for me it was much easier in the long run (even though I had to top up the smaller twin for the first few months).
4. Stock up your freezer with meals and ask friends to bring meals when they come over or help out around the house (folding washing or entertaining your older children). Start telling them from now so they can be prepared.
5. Get a cleaner if you can afford one. Best decision I ever made.
6. I put both of my boys in the same bassinet for the first couple of months. They settled each other and enjoyed the closeness and seemed to sleep better.
7. I had a single bed in the nursery where I slept most nights, this is not for everyone but it made my night feeds much easier.
8. Just be prepared for the fact that your babies are your focus for the first few weeks, if you can, let everyone around you do all the household chores and running around, rest up and enjoy your babies.
9. Definitely join your local MBA. You can hire twin things for a deposit fee only and they are a great resource and support original.gif.

Hope that helps, and happy to answer any questions original.gif

#8 *mylittleprince*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Congratulations!

I have a 3 year old and 4 month old twins and am having the best time of my life! They are such a joy and a blessing.

Definately join your local multiple birth association. They are a wealth of information. My local club has expectant parents nights, playgroups for babies - 18 months, then 18 months up then school age multiples, mums night outs, etc. Join the AMBA facebook page as you can ask questions and get your questions answered.

Each twin pregnancy is very different. Try not to be scared, read about prematurity but don't get fixated on it. I have fraternal twins, massive surprise original.gif Uneventful pregancy besides lots of morning sickness and being very tired. I got everything organised early on and stopped driving at 32 weeks as I was massive. Natural birth for both, induced at 37 plus 2, 3.222kg and 3.164kg. Self-discharged after 2 days and am exclusively breastfeeding at almost 5 months.

I find it much easier than I expected original.gif

My advice is:
1) Rest wherever possible while pregnant. Sit instead of standing. Lie instead of sitting.
2) Finish up work early if you are still working.
3) Get organised - cots, car seats, everything you need asap as it leaves less to do later on
4) Get a list of people ready to help. In the early days I really limited visitors while we go to know our babies.
5) If you are keen to breastfed, get educated now! Read up as much as you can. Get the name of local lactation consultants.
6) Once the babies come home and you are b/f - eat, eat and eat (lots of protein, clean close to nature foods) and drink lots of fluids. I have a berroca and rehydrate sachet every morning and it really boosts me for the day.

#9 T2Mum

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Congratulations!!!

Lots of great advice in this thread. The only things I would add are:

As you are carrying two you may need some extra support. I loved my pregnancy leggings (the SRC ones)!!!

Line up as much help as you can. Expect to be very tired after 30 weeks. Expect to be very busy once the babies are born and to not be able to do much else!!

PS I had a great pregnancy with twin ID boys (made it all the way to 36 weeks, neither twin required special care and both were able to come straight home and have been the picture of health!). DH and I are now really enjoying life with the two bubs and their two older sisters (2 and 5). It is a bit chaotic but lots of fun. Two babies is definitely doable but it is more enjoyable the more help you can organise!

There are a couple of pages in the Raising Multiples booklet that you get that outline how family and friends can best help you. I highlighted these paragraphs and left them strategically at my Mum and Dad's place. It worked wonders!

Edited by T2Mum, 27 February 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#10 Threelittleducks

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Agree with the above. Join your local AMBA and go to the expectant parent's night.

Do a tour of your hospital's special care unit, but hopefully you won't need it.

BTW - Even with separate sacs and placentas they could still be identical. See this link for some more info

http://www.twins.org.au/twins-and-twin-fam...cts-and-figures

Good Luck

#11 DylMah

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Thank you all so much for the information and advice. It's great to read so many positive stories.

I'm at uni at the moment, so had already planned to defer my degree from the end of 1st semester in June. I'm only at uni 2 full days a week, so I've been resting up a lot already. The possibilty of carrying twins had crossed my mind a few times. Morning sickness kicked in really early, my bfp was really strong, I seem to be more tired than I was with either DS or DD, while I'm not huge yet, my belly feels really heavy at night, and I started sleeping with a body pillow on the weekend, and I'm already getting up multiple times a night to pee. I had put all this down to this not being my first pregnancy, it being 5 years since my last pregnancy, or possibly being further along than I thought.

We've still got most stuff from when DD was a baby, and have two reversible car seats stored at the ILs. All we had planned to buy were nappies and clothes as we have everything else. Now we'll have to buy a new car, and possibly a twin pram. We have a double pram at the moment, but it's one of those P&Ts for toddler and baby, bot 2 babies.

I had originally booked in for a VBA2C at KEMH's (Perth) next birth after caesarian clinic. I'll stick with KEMH as it's the women's hospital, and is also quite close to the children's hospital.

The ILs live about 45 minutes away, but they've said they'll give whatever support we need. We're actually moving closer to them at the end of the year as DH is changing careers - good thing too, he's currently in the Navy.

I think the shock is finally starting to wear off. I'm going to check out the sites that you lovely ladies have recommended.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.