Home Phone & Internet
We need cheaper!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Holidayromp

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

We are currently paying $120 for phone and internet at home and have 2 prepaid mobiles that cost around $5 a month or around $60 every 6 months or so.  We are wanting to get rid of fixed line home phone and internet and only have prepaid internet with our prepaid mobiles.  Doing this would mean changing our prepaid mobile plans, has anyone got any ideas or know of a package deal or special deals that may work out cheaper for us in the long run?

#2 PurpleNess

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Check out iiNet, you can keep your home phone & get a free VOIP phone...if you like

#3 Great Dame

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Not sure if this useful for you but we pay $60/month with iinet for all our internet and home phone, and it includes all local and national calls (you pay extra to phone a mobile or overseas only).

#4 julzely

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have exetel for internet and have found them to be really good.  I pay $60/month for 300GB download (they don't charge for uploads like most internet companies).

Our mobile phones are with Live Connect.  They are an optus reseller.  Assuming you don't want a new phone, then they are really good and cheap.  We pay $44/month for 2 mobile phone caps that give us $700 of call each + unlimited SMS.

So all up we are paying $104/month for 2 mobile phone and internet.

#5 threeinnyc

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

We are with TPG, not sure how much, but I think it's about $69, unlimited internet, local/national call.

#6 FloralArrangement

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

We are happy with Adam. We have a VoIP phone and Internet costs us 60ish per month.

#7 RebelWithoutAClaws

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Very happy with iiNet. Were are still on a very old plan that suits us (have been for 3 years). We don't have a landline, we have our internet and VOIP.

#8 Phascogale

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

You'll probably find that the mobile plan that you need to upgrade to that you will probably pay a similar amount that you will for a cheaper deal with what you currently have.  Also with mobile plans you don't get many downloads and they are often much slower than you would get with a landline type internet.  So for your two mobiles you will probably be looking at least at a $30/month plan each so you're up to $60 already.

There are naked dsl plans that make all your calls using VoiP.  They may cost you a little bit to set up ie you'll either need an ATA box or a modem/router that also incorporates the ATA.

And it will also depend on where you live.  Where I am there is only Telstra that can provide a service.  We currently pay around $90/month for all our internet and phone.  But we do have VoiP that we pay $5/month for and it includes 100 'free' local and national calls.  So we are only paying for the basic telstra landline in order to have ADSL.

It does depend on what you use your internet for.  If it's just a few emails and facebook then going landline free is fine but if you do a lot of downloading ie streaming tv shows and movies then it's not going to work.

#9 Holidayromp

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Thank you all very much for your information.  Looks like we will definitely have to look into VoiP, and look into many different options.

#10 Bidadari

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hi,

Have a look at vaya mobile (optus reseller). They have a very good BYO mobile plan deals. The most expensive one is only cost $29/mths and that is included unlimited calls and texts (13,1300 and 1800 are included in the plan), 4GB data, $100 international call and tethering is available.
So if you buy 2x of this plan, it will cost you less than $60/mths or one of you can get the cheaper plan

HTH

#11 galba

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Bidadari @ 03/03/2013, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Have a look at vaya mobile (optus reseller). They have a very good BYO mobile plan deals. The most expensive one is only cost $29/mths and that is included unlimited calls and texts (13,1300 and 1800 are included in the plan), 4GB data, $100 international call and tethering is available.
So if you buy 2x of this plan, it will cost you less than $60/mths or one of you can get the cheaper plan

HTH

I second Vaya.  I have moved all of us over and for 4 of us we are paying $32 a month!!!

The boys are on a $7 a month plan as is DH and I have the $11 a month plan.  I use my phone for texting, calling and internet and don't come anywhere near the limits.

Try whistleout.com.au - they can show you the cheapest sim only offers.

#12 Fizgig

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Madame Protart @ 27/02/2013, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure if this useful for you but we pay $60/month with iinet for all our internet and home phone, and it includes all local and national calls (you pay extra to phone a mobile or overseas only).

Just to add to this - if you have an iinet internet package you can also get a mobile plan with them. It's a bring your own mobile and no contract so you can opt out whenever you want. I have the $10 a month plan with (from memory) $100 worth of calls included and 150 MB of download. I have never exceeded this and I have an iphone (I do use the wifi at home though).

We have home line, internet and my mobile with iinet and this adds up to $90 a month. I keep meaning to change to Voip but don't think I can in my area yet.

#13 Mummytoyou

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hmm this has me wondering if we should look to change. We pay $153.50 a month for our home phone, 2 Samsung Galaxy s11's (dh is on a now not avail plan he gets unlimited everything for $50 a month with Vodafone), Net is with Adam - we download a LOT, home line with Telstra(never use it, it's basically just line rental).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.